What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A-Train Signs with Cowboys (1 Viewer)

dna

Footballguy
According to KTCK the Ticket, Anthony Thomas has signed a one-year deal with the Cowboys.

Very interesting.Julius Jones owners will likely downplay the signing, but a two-time 1000 yard rusher could quite conceivably take away the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Preface to say I am not a JJ owner.Barring injury I don't see A-Train taking carries away between the 20's, but I could see him vulturing some TD's. Overall downgrade to Jones, but he should still be considered a viable starter IMO.

I see this as more of an indication to reduce Barber's role, than Jones'. It seems as though Parcells is building depth for a run heavy team. I like the signing for the 'boys.

Very interesting.

Julius Jones owners will likely downplay the signing, but a two-time 1000 yard rusher could quite conceivably take away the job.
Isn't that what some people said last season in Chicago with regard to Julius' brother? How'd that turn out?I'd be shocked if Jones lost his starting job. Every time a capable backup emerges, the knee-jerk reaction is to think the starter is in big trouble. On the contrary, the Cowboys need depth at RB (Jones has to prove he can play a full season) and having a backup with proven ability will probably make Parcells sleep a helluva lot easier at night than wondering if Marion Barber III can cut it.

It's a smart move for the Cowboys. They have a very talented young starter and now they have a veteran as the backup who can step in and start if need be. Sure Jones could lose some carries each week, but if you look at the big picture you have to view this as a good thing since it enhances the chances he won't take a beating and can stay healthy for the full year. If I were a Jones owner, I'd much rather see Jones getting 20-25 carries a week and playing all 16 games with Thomas taking a handful of carries each week than seeing Jones get 30+ carries every game which increases the chances he could suffer another injury.

This is a great signing if you are a Cowboys fan.DEPTH, DEPTH, DEPTH! Quality depth produces championships just as much as other factors.I don't see him taking anything away from Jones.

Very interesting.

Julius Jones owners will likely downplay the signing, but a two-time 1000 yard rusher could quite conceivably take away the job.
Isn't that what some people said last season in Chicago with regard to Julius' brother? How'd that turn out?I'd be shocked if Jones lost his starting job. Every time a capable backup emerges, the knee-jerk reaction is to think the starter is in big trouble. On the contrary, the Cowboys need depth at RB (Jones has to prove he can play a full season) and having a backup with proven ability will probably make Parcells sleep a helluva lot easier at night than wondering if Marion Barber III can cut it.

It's a smart move for the Cowboys. They have a very talented young starter and now they have a veteran as the backup who can step in and start if need be. Sure Jones could lose some carries each week, but if you look at the big picture you have to view this as a good thing since it enhances the chances he won't take a beating and can stay healthy for the full year. If I were a Jones owner, I'd much rather see Jones getting 20-25 carries a week and playing all 16 games with Thomas taking a handful of carries each week than seeing Jones get 30+ carries every game which increases the chances he could suffer another injury.
:goodposting: depth. Exactly what Dallas needed, a talented backup to their very talented starter. Thomas is a guy who can step in and not lose anything if jones is ineffective or hurt.

Thomas got screwed in Chi as did James allen before him and T Jones after him. I wouldnt want to hold on to bendson too long!! lol (sarcasm)

I like it for dallas

:thumbup: Gotta love this offseaon. We worked wonders on the defence in the draft. This is just the begininng of the offensive moves. Now bring us some WR depth!!! :P

Not a very positive thing for Thomas owners and more than a bit curious after they drafted Barber.Agree with the earlier post that we're looking at a run happy Parcells team.

Not a very positive thing for Thomas owners and more than a bit curious after they drafted Barber.

Agree with the earlier post that we're looking at a run happy Parcells team.
Smart move considering Drew Bledsoe is the QB.

Very interesting.

A bit different with Thomas Jones, who was brought in to replace A-Train.I'm not saying A-Train was brought in to take Jones' job - far from it. All I'm saying is that I don't think Jones' job is as cemented as many think. He had a great stretch last year, but it's not like he's Curtis Martin in Bill's eyes. Parcells loves a power running game, and will play the best player regardless. If that player happens to be A-Train, then IMO you'll see him get the majority of the carries.

In his 7 startable games, Julius Jones had four with 29+ carries, one with 25, one with 22, and one with 23. With Dallas talking about keeping his load down then drafting and signing a pair of decent backs, I don't see Jones getting that kind of workload as often this year, which would really cap his upside. I see more 23 for 88 against New Orleans and less 33 for 150 and 2 TDs against Chicago.

Very interesting.

A bit different with Thomas Jones, who was brought in to replace A-Train.
And yet there were people insisting Thomas was the better RB and who end up being the starter -- even after he had a couple of good games when Jones was hurt.

I'm not saying A-Train was brought in to take Jones' job - far from it. All I'm saying is that I don't think Jones' job is as cemented as many think. He had a great stretch last year, but it's not like he's Curtis Martin in Bill's eyes. Parcells loves a power running game, and will play the best player regardless. If that player happens to be A-Train, then IMO you'll see him get the majority of the carries.
IMO the only way Julius Jones loses his starting job is if he suffers a season-ending knee injury. I don't know if Parcells thinks Jones is another Curtis Martin (that would be high praise), but I think it's pretty safe to say he likes him a helluva lot and trusts him a helluva lot -- the incredible volume of carries Jones received after returning speaks to that.

Very interesting.

A bit different with Thomas Jones, who was brought in to replace A-Train.
And yet there were people insisting Thomas was the better RB and who end up being the starter -- even after he had a couple of good games when Jones was hurt.
I'm not saying A-Train was brought in to take Jones' job - far from it. All I'm saying is that I don't think Jones' job is as cemented as many think. He had a great stretch last year, but it's not like he's Curtis Martin in Bill's eyes. Parcells loves a power running game, and will play the best player regardless. If that player happens to be A-Train, then IMO you'll see him get the majority of the carries.
IMO the only way Julius Jones loses his starting job is if he suffers a season-ending knee injury. I don't know if Parcells thinks Jones is another Curtis Martin (that would be high praise), but I think it's pretty safe to say he likes him a helluva lot and trusts him a helluva lot -- the incredible volume of carries Jones received after returning speaks to that.
This is off the beaten path, but Jones was kept the starter due to the Shea offense (in which he did very well at the beginning).As for Jones, I agree Bill must like him a lot. But the number of carries also was perhaps attributable to there being no other viable options (sorry Rashard Lee fans).

As for Jones, I agree Bill must like him a lot. But the number of carries also was perhaps attributable to there being no other viable options (sorry Rashard Lee fans fan).
Fixed. :bag:

As for Jones, I agree Bill must like him a lot. But the number of carries also was perhaps attributable to there being no other viable options (sorry Rashard Lee fans).
I agree the Cowboys' RBs other than Jones last season were putrid. But I stand by the point that you don't give a RB 30+ carries in a game unless you feel pretty sure he can handle it (which indicates trust) or you want to find out what he's made of (entirely possible given Parcells' nature). And if it was the latter than it's safe to say Parcells feels very good about Julius Jones.But he (understandably) didn't feel good about his team's depth at RB which is why he went out and got Anthony Thomas. Again, I think that's a smart move, but I don't believe it merits widespread panic for those wondering about Julius Jones.

GREAT signing for Dallas. If they can get anything out of Bledsoe, they are, IMO, the most improved team in the offseason. Quality veterans at the skill positions, youth, size, and speed on D. I own Jones, and I think this is a great signing. As was said above, he isn't going to carry the ball 450 times. A-Train playing a couple series a game or grabbing it in the 4th quarter in decided games or taking some short-yardage duties is a fine idea. A team that last year had 1 bad RB (George) and half of a good RB (Jones) now has potentially 3 RBs capable of carrying the load if called upon that are all relatively young.Excellent move.Colin

Didn't A-Train once fail to beat out Thomas Jones for a starting job? Does it get any lower than that?I wouldn't worry if I was a Julius Jones owner.

To those that understood that JJones was not going to get 450 carries, this really doesn't impact Jones' value much with the possible exception that he could lose some goal line carries.As others have said, the Cowpokes had few other viable options on the ground last year, so Jones (as with most other RB) would optimally get 18-20 carries a game maxing out at around 25.How ironic would it be if they used Thomas on third downs and in the passing game (the role Anderson filled) when Chicago wouldn't let him near the ball in those situations?

To those that understood that JJones was not going to get 450 carries, this really doesn't impact Jones' value much with the possible exception that he could lose some goal line carries.

As others have said, the Cowpokes had few other viable options on the ground last year, so Jones (as with most other RB) would optimally get 18-20 carries a game maxing out at around 25.

How ironic would it be if they used Thomas on third downs and in the passing game (the role Anderson filled) when Chicago wouldn't let him near the ball in those situations?
...not when Jones is capable of turning a screen pass in to a 50 yard gain and also so good at running the draw, which is a heavy 3rd down play for the 'Boys.Colin

This actually good news for Cowboys...A-train is a grinder...his best season came when the bears needed to run the clock out while their defense hold opposing team to low scoring points. I think Parcell will use him well and often.

To those that understood that JJones was not going to get 450 carries, this really doesn't impact Jones' value much with the possible exception that he could lose some goal line carries.

As others have said, the Cowpokes had few other viable options on the ground last year, so Jones (as with most other RB) would optimally get 18-20 carries a game maxing out at around 25.

How ironic would it be if they used Thomas on third downs and in the passing game (the role Anderson filled) when Chicago wouldn't let him near the ball in those situations?
...not when Jones is capable of turning a screen pass in to a 50 yard gain and also so good at running the draw, which is a heavy 3rd down play for the 'Boys.Colin
I don't actually think that Dallas will use A-Train like that. However, I think he may be in on passing downs and third and longs to block if Jones has problems picking up blitzes.

I don't actually think that Dallas will use A-Train like that. However, I think he may be in on passing downs and third and longs to block if Jones has problems picking up blitzes.
I do agree that A-Train helps the value of Jones and makes the Cowboys a better team. I could definitely see him getting the "you're going to do what we tell you if you want to be on the field" role and embracing a number of roles, includingthe ones you've mentioned. COlin

I don't see this helpling JJ's numbers at all.A very solid addition for the Boys though.

I have no doubt Tuna will play whoever he thinks is the best back. ATrain would make a perfect 1st and 2nd down and goal line back while JJ is the 3rd down change of pace guy. As said above Tuna likes a power running game. If ATrain catches on to the playbook quickly we may well be talking about how much JJ will cut into ATrains touches. I would have some serious concerns if I was a JJ owner and knew how Tuna liked to play the game. IMHO

I don't see this helpling JJ's numbers at all.

A very solid addition for the Boys though.
I see it keeping him alive for not only a full season, but extending his overall life in the NFL. I love when my starting RBs have capable backups.1) They will be fresher come the end of the season when you need them.

2) You don't have to worry about them coming off a 380 carry season and hoping they don't get worn down quickly.

However, Parcells recent track record (all with C-Mart really) shows he likes to work his RBs like dogs to the tune of 350+ carries a season. Good for JJ owners. Even better if he can last half as long as C-Mart has in the NFL.

I see the A-Train signing as being for depth. He's a capable back up, just not outright starting material in the NFL for most teams. O/U for A-Train carries on the season with JJ playing all year is 60.

I have no doubt Tuna will play whoever he thinks is the best back. ATrain would make a perfect 1st and 2nd down and goal line back while JJ is the 3rd down change of pace guy. As said above Tuna likes a power running game.

If ATrain catches on to the playbook quickly we may well be talking about how much JJ will cut into ATrains touches.

I would have some serious concerns if I was a JJ owner and knew how Tuna liked to play the game.

IMHO
If your 1st sentence is to be true, then your next 4 sentences are moot.

I see it keeping him alive for not only a full season, but extending his overall life in the NFL.
Without any spectacular backups, he had a chance to see a lot of touches and put up very big numbers...with another capable runner in town, I don't see that happening.This drops him in my rankings about five spots or so.

I see it keeping him alive for not only a full season, but extending his overall life in the NFL.
Without any spectacular backups, he had a chance to see a lot of touches and put up very big numbers...with another capable runner in town, I don't see that happening.This drops him in my rankings about five spots or so.
Sort of like how guys like Ahman Green, Edgerrin James, Willis McGahee, and Thomas Jones lost a lot of touches to the "capable runners" behind them. :mellow:

Sort of like how guys like Ahman Green, Edgerrin James, Willis McGahee, and Thomas Jones lost a lot of touches to the "capable runners" behind them. :mellow:
bad comparisons...every single one of them.

I see it keeping him alive for not only a full season, but extending his overall life in the NFL. I love when my starting RBs have capable backups.
So do I. Honestly, I have never understood the knee-jerk reaction which says a good backup RB must mean horrible things for the starter. I argued that point repeatedly last season with regard to Curtis Martin and LaMont Jordan as well as Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport. A good backup RB helps the starter because it means the player who takes the most pounding of anyone else on the football field now doesn't have to be subjected to extreme measures of punishment from week to week. That enhances his chances of playing the full season which means I don't have to worry about losing a key player during the all-important final weeks of the season.As we sit here today I'm not a Jones owner (I was last season) but he remains a RB I really hope I can get. He isn't budging from where I have him on my rankings and this signing makes me feel even better about his chances to now play the full 16-game season (durability being the only question I believe Jones has to answer given all of the skills he showed last season).

GREAT signing for Dallas. If they can get anything out of Bledsoe, they are, IMO, the most improved team in the offseason. Quality veterans at the skill positions, youth, size, and speed on D.

I own Jones, and I think this is a great signing. As was said above, he isn't going to carry the ball 450 times. A-Train playing a couple series a game or grabbing it in the 4th quarter in decided games or taking some short-yardage duties is a fine idea. A team that last year had 1 bad RB (George) and half of a good RB (Jones) now has potentially 3 RBs capable of carrying the load if called upon that are all relatively young.

Excellent move.

Colin
Would you say they are more improved than Minn? I like what Dallas has done but I think Minn is hands down the most improved on both sides of the ball.

GREAT signing for Dallas.  If they can get anything out of Bledsoe, they are, IMO, the most improved team in the offseason.  Quality veterans at the skill positions, youth, size, and speed on D. 

I own Jones, and I think this is a great signing. As was said above, he isn't going to carry the ball 450 times.  A-Train playing a couple series a game or grabbing it in the 4th quarter in decided games or taking some short-yardage duties is a fine idea.  A team that last year had 1 bad RB (George) and half of a good RB (Jones) now has potentially 3 RBs capable of carrying the load if called upon that are all relatively young.

Excellent move.

Colin
Would you say they are more improved than Minn? I like what Dallas has done but I think Minn is hands down the most improved on both sides of the ball.How have the Vikings improved offensively? I still think they're going to be real good but it's hard to say they've improved after losing Randy Moss.

I am in the camp where I think this is a GOOD thing for JJ owners since now they can insure him by picking up his capable backup for cheap.As long as JJ is healthy he will be the main ball carrier, but if he goes down it's nice to know there is a definite backup who can pick up the slack and produce well.It sucks having a RB in FF without a sure backup since it takes up too many roster spots to insure them.

How so?Colin

GREAT signing for Dallas.  If they can get anything out of Bledsoe, they are, IMO, the most improved team in the offseason.  Quality veterans at the skill positions, youth, size, and speed on D. 

I own Jones, and I think this is a great signing. As was said above, he isn't going to carry the ball 450 times.  A-Train playing a couple series a game or grabbing it in the 4th quarter in decided games or taking some short-yardage duties is a fine idea.  A team that last year had 1 bad RB (George) and half of a good RB (Jones) now has potentially 3 RBs capable of carrying the load if called upon that are all relatively young.

Excellent move.

Colin
Would you say they are more improved than Minn? I like what Dallas has done but I think Minn is hands down the most improved on both sides of the ball.
Absolutely they are more improved then Minny. Dallas has added young talent and veterans to both sides of the ball. THe Vikings don't knwo what they have at WR and for every solid defensive move they've made (Sharper, Smoot, James, Harris, Cowart) the Cowboys have made matched it with younger, better talent (Ware, Spears, Burnett, Glenn *older*, Ferguson).

How so?Colin
Come on Colin,Edge and Ahman are bonafide superstars, whoever thought they were losing touches in '04 just came off the :shortbus:

Thomas Jones actually goes against your argument as A-Train definitely took carries from him...this was the opposite type of example you should of used.

McGahee didn't start the season as the starter, so I'm not even sure how he got into the conversation :lmao:

Are you fishing?

Thomas Jones actually goes against your argument as A-Train definitely took carries from him.
He did? You might want to recheck your facts:Week 1: Jones 21/Thomas 3

Week 2: Jones 23/Thomas 5

Week 3: Jones 22/Thomas 2

Week 4: Jones 13/Thomas 0

Week 6: Jones 24/Thomas 1

Week 7: Jones 13/Thomas 5

Week 8: Thomas 25 (Jones hurt)

Week 9: Thomas 28 (Jones hurt)

Week 10: Thomas 29 (Jones hurt)

Week 11: Jones 18/Thomas 0

Week 12: Jones 14/Thomas 3

Week 13: Jones 15/Thomas 15

Week 14: Jones 13/Thomas 0

Week 15: Jones 15/Thomas 6

Week 16: Jones 22/Thomas 0

Week 17: Jones 26/Thomas 0

So let's see, there was only one game the entire season where Thomas took meaningful carries away from Jones. By contrast there were five games where he did not get a single carry and a total of nine games where he had three or less.

It's pretty obvious all Thomas was last season was a backup. Jones was clearly the primary RB and Thomas was no threat to take any carries away from him -- even after Thomas had some good games in relief of the injured Jones.

Care to restate your position? :)

Thomas Jones actually goes against your argument as A-Train definitely took carries from him.

So let's see, there was only one game the entire season where Thomas took meaningful carries away from Jones. By contrast there were five games where he did not get a single carry and a total of nine games where he had three or less.

It's pretty obvious all Thomas was last season was a backup. Jones was clearly the primary RB and Thomas was no threat to take any carries away from him -- even after Thomas had some good games in relief of the injured Jones.

Uh no...A-Train had 122 carries.Care to restate your's? :lmao:

How so?Colin
Come on Colin,Edge and Ahman are bonafide superstars, whoever thought they were losing touches in '04 just came off the :shortbus:

Thomas Jones actually goes against your argument as A-Train definitely took carries from him...this was the opposite type of example you should of used.

McGahee didn't start the season as the starter, so I'm not even sure how he got into the conversation :lmao:

Are you fishing?
I think you are seeing what you want to see. Aside from Packersfan shooting a hole in your T.Jones contention, all of the backs I mentioned had "capable runners" behind them, and it didn't do much to their stats. Did they lose carries? Yup. Did they lose carries to the point where mass FF panic ensued? Uh...no. You're the one who brought it up; I am interested in seeing if you can defend your claim that having a capable runner behind the starter actually eats in to their stats outside of obvious RBBC situations.Colin

Step away from the pipe. A-Train had 122 carries, 84 of which came when Jones was inactive.Colin

How so?Colin

Are you fishing?
Did they lose carries to the point where mass FF panic ensued? Uh...no. You're the one who brought it up; I am interested in seeing if you can defend your claim that having a capable runner behind the starter actually eats in to their stats outside of obvious RBBC situations.Colin
Who said, "FF Panic" :lmao: I said I knocked him down 5 spots in my rankings.

And A-Train had well over 100 carries last year ;)

Step away from the pipe. A-Train had 122 carries, 84 of which came when Jones was inactive.Colin
Does it matter how he got them...are you predicting that Julius Jones is a healthy starter for more than 13 games :popcorn: :popcorn: If JJ does start 14 games healthy it will most likely be because A-Train, and/or orther RBs contributed significantly throughout the season.

The irony of that statement is that all of those RBs came in and displaced an entrenched starter. Jones will get 225 carries this year and Anthony Thomas will get 100-120. This is not good news for Jones' fantasy production.

Users who are viewing this thread