What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Rodgers... (1 Viewer)

MaxThreshold

Footballguy
It's widely believed that the next wave of quarterbacks to get new deals in the wake of the Joe Flacco contract will include Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, and Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford.

But the most glaring contract presently belongs to Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who'll earn less than half the average of the $20 million mark that more and more quarterbacks are approaching or exceeding.

Rodgers hasn't asked for a new deal, and he hasn't complained about his current contract. A league source with knowledge of the situation believes, however, that the Packers soon will take care of Rodgers.

"It is his time," the source said.

The source also believes that, once Rodgers has a new deal, it will set a new benchmark that will stand for several years.

Linky-Link.

Let's hear what everyone thinks it will be. If a slightly better than average QB like Flacco is going to get 20 million, I say Rodgers gets about 30 million. And that's a conservative estimate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Packer homer here.......the local media has been saying that GB is making cap space to sign Rodgers and Matthews by making recent moves like cutting Woodson, and not resigning Driver and Jennings.

Packer homer here.......the local media has been saying that GB is making cap space to sign Rodgers and Matthews by making recent moves like cutting Woodson, and not resigning Driver and Jennings.
Yeah, not really a surprise here. It's been reported for a while now that GB is working on extensions for Rodgers and Matthews. My guess is the Packer's would like these done fairly soon so they know what they have in terms of the salary cap going forward. I would guess another 6 years for $150-160 mil.

Yeah, not really a surprise here. It's been reported for a while now that GB is working on extensions for Rodgers and Matthews. My guess is the Packer's would like these done fairly soon so they know what they have in terms of the salary cap going forward. I would guess another 6 years for $150-160 mil.
Yeah, they want to get them done and put as much of the cap hits in this year as they can.Backload some of it for when the expected cap increases are coming.

They will do a deal similar to Flacco's, where the deal is pretty cap-friendly in the first 2-3 years and then they'll restructure. They don't want to risk losing Clay Matthews, and will have to cough up

a ton for him. They also don't want to hamper chances of bringing in missing pieces because they have zero wiggle room.

Rodgers deserves it but I'm upset at the lack of value. Packers are going to lock up 15% of their annual cap space to one player. I see 5-6 more years of the Colts during the Manning years.

Teams like the 49ers and the Seahawks are going to dominate with cheap, good QBs and fill out the rest of their team.

But at least the Pack will make the playoffs every year with Rodgers... even if they aren't good enough to win the whole thing.

Rodgers deserves it but I'm upset at the lack of value. Packers are going to lock up 15% of their annual cap space to one player. I see 5-6 more years of the Colts during the Manning years. Teams like the 49ers and the Seahawks are going to dominate with cheap, good QBs and fill out the rest of their team.But at least the Pack will make the playoffs every year with Rodgers... even if they aren't good enough to win the whole thing.
Winning the whole thing is something of a crapshoot. Being in the playoffs every year gives you pretty good odds of taking one or two home.

Rodgers deserves it but I'm upset at the lack of value. Packers are going to lock up 15% of their annual cap space to one player. I see 5-6 more years of the Colts during the Manning years. Teams like the 49ers and the Seahawks are going to dominate with cheap, good QBs and fill out the rest of their team.But at least the Pack will make the playoffs every year with Rodgers... even if they aren't good enough to win the whole thing.
Winning the whole thing is something of a crapshoot. Being in the playoffs every year gives you pretty good odds of taking one or two home.
This. It seems to me like its about having a good enough team to qualify, and getting hot at the end. Staying healthy usually helps too.My guess is the deal comes in around 24-25 million per year.

Rodgers & Matthews have the same agent. Not sure if that expedites the two contract extensions or holds them up. ??

You think Wilson and Kapernick are going to stay at the Rookie pay scale for the rest of their careers? If they keep getting their team to the playoffs like Rodgers does you can guarantee that they will be asking for Rodgers money. So they won't be "cheap" anymore. I mean, if you're good you command much higher wages. It's like that in any profession (for the most part).

If these supposed franchise QBs really cared about team success, they would be willing to take a 15-20% discount to facilitate putting a great team around them. Rodgers deserves the money, no doubt, but it drives me nuts to see these guys go for top dollar. There's this thing called the salary cap that doesn't exist in most other organizations......

Brady is the only one with enough class to put his team and winning first. Except maybe RGIII...I can see him pulling a MJ and playing for the league minimum when his deal runs out ;)

'Warrior said:
Brady is the only one with enough class to put his team and winning first. Except maybe RGIII...I can see him pulling a MJ and playing for the league minimum when his deal runs out ;)
Yeah, I know. But that's easy to say when you've been making, what, 12-15 million a season for the last 10 years. If he put his organization first he wouldn't have gone that high in the first place. :)

Users who are viewing this thread