What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

According to today’s polling the public wants Trump to run again and they plan to re-elect him if he does. (3 Viewers)

timschochet

Footballguy
https://www.newsweek.com/trump-unhurt-putin-remarks-tough-russia-stance-not-helping-biden-polls-1693851?amp=1

I’m a big believer in facing the facts whatever they are, even if they aren’t to my liking. And I can tell you that these facts are absolutely NOT to my liking: 

Trump was not hurt at all by his comments about Putin. His approval rating has gone up. 

Biden has not been helped at all by his tough stance on Russia. His approval rating has gone down. 

59% of Republicans want Trump to run again and will support him if he does. The next closest guy is Mike Pence with 11%. 

If Trump runs again he will easily beat Biden or Harris or any Democrat according to this poll. He is leading Biden in approval rating by 12 points. 

Obviously the next Presidential election is a long time away, and (hopefully for those of us who oppose Trump) things will change. But this is where we are, right now, in the spring of 2022: the nation wants Trump back. 

I sincerely don't understand how anybody can look at the situation in Ukraine and say "Boy, I sure wish Trump was navigating this situation."  We'd all probably be dead by now, or at least be scouring the wasteland for Nuka Cola caps. 

That said, apart from Ukraine (which counts for a lot), Biden has been significantly worse than I ever imagined he would be.  His floor was lower than I thought it was.

It was a low bar to hit and Biden's missed it.  What did you expect?
I expected, and hoped, that after the events of January 6 no sane person would ever support Donald Trump again. I expected, and hoped, that after that incident he would be forever removed from the prospect of again attaining power. I was wrong. I don’t understand why I was wrong. And I’m shocked and depressed by it, frankly . These numbers appall me. 

I expected, and hoped, that after the events of January 6 no sane person would ever support Donald Trump again. I expected, and hoped, that after that incident he would be forever removed from the prospect of again attaining power. I was wrong. I don’t understand why I was wrong. And I’m shocked and depressed by it, frankly . These numbers appall me. 
It was a low bar and Biden's missed it.

I sincerely don't understand how anybody can look at the situation in Ukraine and say "Boy, I sure wish Trump was navigating this situation."  We'd all probably be dead by now, or at least be scouring the wasteland for Nuka Cola caps

That said, apart from Ukraine (which counts for a lot), Biden has been significantly worse than I ever imagined he would be.  His floor was lower than I thought it was.
I know you didn't intend this to sound appealing, but my ears perked up here.  ;)  

Man I sure hope not. It's not because he such a jerk its just he causes so much divisiveness even among conservatives.  I mean if it was between Trump and Biden or really anyone in the forefront of the dem party. Then it's Trump all day long. I would rather see DeSantis though.

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-unhurt-putin-remarks-tough-russia-stance-not-helping-biden-polls-1693851?amp=1

I’m a big believer in facing the facts whatever they are, even if they aren’t to my liking. And I can tell you that these facts are absolutely NOT to my liking: 

Trump was not hurt at all by his comments about Putin. His approval rating has gone up. 

Biden has not been helped at all by his tough stance on Russia. His approval rating has gone down. 

59% of Republicans want Trump to run again and will support him if he does. The next closest guy is Mike Pence with 11%. 

If Trump runs again he will easily beat Biden or Harris or any Democrat according to this poll. He is leading Biden in approval rating by 12 points. 

Obviously the next Presidential election is a long time away, and (hopefully for those of us who oppose Trump) things will change. But this is where we are, right now, in the spring of 2022: the nation wants Trump back. 

Relax Tim, it is just one poll and it we are 2 1/2 years away from the 2024 election. And isn't CAPS-Harris an internet poll? No sense in running around like Chicken Little now. 

Americans think and vote on how well their pocketbook is and their quality of life.

Until Biden starts to address what really concerns Americans his poll numbers will reflect their displeasure.

I will say that I am happy with the way he is handling the Ukrainian war. So far he hasn't listened to the war pigs on both sides of the aisle.  So give him props for that.

I wouldn't put too much stock in this, Tim.

A monkey with a banana could beat Biden and Harris in the next election.  That's how badly they've bungled their opportunity.

I'm not worried. Trump won't be running in 2024 and even if he does he certainly won't get the nomination.

Besides, this is newsweek.  They're going to do everything they can to make sure the Trump boogeyman is front and center for you guys. Fear sells, and you guys are buying it up by the 55 gallon drum every day.

Zero reason to assume otherwise.  

I sincerely don't understand how anybody can look at the situation in Ukraine and say "Boy, I sure wish Trump was navigating this situation."  We'd all probably be dead by now, or at least be scouring the wasteland for Nuka Cola caps. 

Of course you know there is greater than zero and I am no fan of Trump...but I don't think that what Ivan is saying here is lost on other world leaders, including enemies.  The risk profile for Russia in invading Ukraine would be greater with Trump, if for no other reason than the uncertainty of response.  Would be greater for China too and I think their opinion matters to Russia. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Presidents are usually unpopular two years into their first term.

Bill Clinton looked like a goner midway through his first term when the Republicans gained control of Congress for the first time in 40 years.

George W. Bush had high approval ratings only because of 9/11 (which later wore off).

Obama oversaw a huge red wave halfway through his first term.

Trump oversaw a huge blue wave halfway through his first term.

All of them were reelected except for Trump.

For the wannabe autocrat who encouraged a riot at the Capitol and has no regard for the transfer of power to be disqualified by the vast majority of the country?
The vast majority of the country must not see it that way.    That's why we're here in this thread.  Now what?

djmich said:
Of course you know there is greater than zero and I am no fan of Trump...but I don't think that what Ivan is saying here is lost on other world leaders, including enemies.  The risk profile for Russia in invading Ukraine would be greater with Trump, if for no other reason than the uncertainty of response.  Would be greater for China too and I think their opinion matters to Russia. 
I really don’t get this “uncertainty of response” or  he’s so “unpredictable” that Putin is scared.  Trump has shown he is predictable as the day is long.  It’s not like he was going to launch an attack against Russia when Putin invaded Ukraine. He would’ve handled it similar to how it’s being handled now. With sanctions and tough talk. Putin was in full control here (well as long as China backs him).  

Maurile Tremblay said:
Presidents are usually unpopular two years into their first term.

Bill Clinton looked like a goner midway through his first term when the Republicans gained control of Congress for the first time in 40 years.

George W. Bush had high approval ratings only because of 9/11 (which later wore off).

Obama oversaw a huge red wave halfway through his first term.

Trump oversaw a huge blue wave halfway through his first term.

All of them were reelected except for Trump.
I get all this. I know November is going to be a red wave, known it for a long time. I know Biden is dreadfully unpopular and I think I know most of the reason why. None of that unduly bothers me. It’s politics; you win and you lose. 

What bothers me is…Trump. I don’t understand why he is still the main Republican alternative. The guy committed treason against the country, he tried to overthrow our Democratic form of government. Why is he still a factor? Why isn’t he facing criminal charges, looking at jail time? This is what annoys me and scares me. 

I really don’t get this “uncertainty of response” or  he’s so “unpredictable” that Putin is scared.  Trump has shown he is predictable as the day is long.  It’s not like he was going to launch an attack against Russia when Putin invaded Ukraine. He would’ve handled it similar to how it’s being handled now. With sanctions and tough talk. Putin was in full control here (well as long as China backs him).  
Maybe, that would then completely run counter to what Ivan was saying is his fear if Trump was president.

I for one think Trumps unpredictability level is way higher than Bidens.  This isn't a complement.

Maybe, that would then completely run counter to what Ivan was saying is his fear if Trump was president.

I for one think Trumps unpredictability level is way higher than Bidens.  This isn't a complement.
Yeah I think both are entirely predictable.  I’d also place higher odds of Biden getting us into an actual conflict then Trump.  Trump is the stereotypical loud bully, they always fold when the tough talk wears thin and they’re face to face with actual strength.  

He's the only one running.

I understand: he should be in last place behind every other name in the phone book. But that's not how name recognition works in this situation.
It’s beyond that and you know it. Republicans, and a majority of Americans according to this poll, don’t just recognize Trump’s name. They LIKE him. They want him back. They seriously want him to be President again. That’s what gets me. 

Agreed. -- most didn't expect him to (still) be digging for political dirt from his idol during a bloody war his buddy started.  Its ALWAYS about him, and there would be no incentive for him personally to have stopped Putin if he were POTUS.

I don't think @IvanKaramazov is suggesting that Trump would have been so tough on Putin that he would have started a nuclear war with Russia. I think the more realistic scenario is that Trump would have supplied military aid to Russia for its invasion of Ukraine and then, based on a questionable understanding of world geography, directed nukes at Berlin, New Hampshire, to settle a personal score with Angela Merkel.

It a real long way off.  Lots of things can happen between now and then.

Personally, I think Biden has done a good job on Russia.....and that's probably about it.  But he has very little control over the current situation with inflation and I think in the next year, that'll sort itself out as we get further and further away from COVID.  

Trump also has lots of time to implode or be indicted, either of which could easily happen.  And I don't care what the polls say now, Trump is always gonna have a problem winning the general because there is no way he wins the popular vote, so then it becomes a question of whether or not he can pull the inside straight again....and the odds are against that.  Not impossible, but very difficult.

I don't think @IvanKaramazov is suggesting that Trump would have been so tough on Putin that he would have started a nuclear war with Russia. I think the more realistic scenario is that Trump would have supplied military aid to Russia for its invasion of Ukraine and then, through incompetence, directed nukes at Berlin, New Hampshire to settle a personal score with Angela Merkel.
Now this I can agree with. IK is spot on in “his” analysis.  

I hate Trump, and I don't want him to run.

But Biden and Harris are just soooo bad.  Between the two of em there's an intelligible thought maybe once, or twice, per sound bite.  Totally get why they kept Biden in the basement during the campaign......Harris is even worse!  She goes on and on and says NOTHING of any substance.

It a real long way off.  Lots of things can happen between now and then.

Personally, I think Biden has done a good job on Russia.....and that's probably about it.  But he has very little control over the current situation with inflation and I think in the next year, that'll sort itself out as we get further and further away from COVID.  

Trump also has lots of time to implode or be indicted, either of which could easily happen.  And I don't care what the polls say now, Trump is always gonna have a problem winning the general because there is no way he wins the popular vote, so then it becomes a question of whether or not he can pull the inside straight again....and the odds are against that.  Not impossible, but very difficult.

I hope you are right. --but, don't underestimate the effects of all the voting law changes will have on the popular vote for Dems.  I think the suppression will be real and wide.

Users who are viewing this thread