What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Add/Drop and Waiver Wire wonderment thread: Do you still own Domingo Santana? (2 Viewers)

Not a fan of Dunn this year, and that includes OBP leagues as well. He can barely hit .200 anymore.
Yeah, I don't think 2011 Dunn is completely gone and buried.
That's what scares me. The more I think about it anyway, Weiters holds way more value in a AL only keeper league as well, so it's starting to look like a no brainer. But I really love Mous too. Hmmmm decisions.
Keep Wieters and offer either him or Santana up for a Rizzo-esque 1B?
Not sure there's a Rizzo type in the AL. Sorry can't help you with your FA post as I know less than zero about the NL. Thanks for your replies.

Think McCann ie worth a pickup

For arms,

Gee was looking pretty good last year before the blood clot and his last spring outing was stellar.

Mahlom didn't have a great W-L record in ATL, but his other stats were above average (ERA around 3.50, WHIP < 1.20)

I don't feel like starting up a thread for this so I'll ask here....anyone ever conduct a draft at BW3 before? If so were there problems or did it go well?
I've done this several times. It helps to call ahead and give a count so they can either hold a side room (if they have them) or at least throw some tables together and expect you. It always goes well though. The staff is used to that kind of thing. Some years we've used a board with players and other years just called out players, but remember that it's pretty loud in there. If your method is just yelling out who you want, expect half the league to not hear each pick. Overall, really fun tho IMO.

If you're in a deep league and short on SP, take a flier on Maholm. Late bloomer playing in front of a solid defense and his K rate keeps improving.

I don't feel like starting up a thread for this so I'll ask here....anyone ever conduct a draft at BW3 before? If so were there problems or did it go well?
I've done this several times. It helps to call ahead and give a count so they can either hold a side room (if they have them) or at least throw some tables together and expect you. It always goes well though. The staff is used to that kind of thing. Some years we've used a board with players and other years just called out players, but remember that it's pretty loud in there. If your method is just yelling out who you want, expect half the league to not hear each pick. Overall, really fun tho IMO.
It's going to be extra nerdy with 11 laptops on tables.....and one joining us from Florida.I'm going to call to let them know we'll be there but don't think there will be many there since there is nothing sports related that would draw a crowd tonight.Thanks for the input.

How much should Lohse go for in FA? We all have 100 bucks to spend throughout the year. My SP's are weak. Here's what I got:

Adam Wainwright (StL - SP)

Chris Sale (CWS - SP)

Kris Medlen (Atl - SP,RP)

Mariano Rivera (NYY - RP)

Andrew Cashner (SD - SP,RP)

Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)

Daniel Straily (Oak - SP)

Chad Billingsley (LAD - SP)

Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)

Eric O'Flaherty (Atl - RP)

Should I go big? Is he worth anything? I'm new to Fantasy Baseball and don't know how often SP's come around.

Thanks

How much should Lohse go for in FA? We all have 100 bucks to spend throughout the year. My SP's are weak. Here's what I got: Adam Wainwright (StL - SP)Chris Sale (CWS - SP)Kris Medlen (Atl - SP,RP)Mariano Rivera (NYY - RP)Andrew Cashner (SD - SP,RP)Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)Daniel Straily (Oak - SP)Chad Billingsley (LAD - SP)Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)Eric O'Flaherty (Atl - RP)Should I go big? Is he worth anything? I'm new to Fantasy Baseball and don't know how often SP's come around.Thanks
League size and how many P's do you start?He's worth something. He would be around the Cashner/Garcia range in terms of your pitching depth. Your other question is harder to answer. Pitchers that are worth something change week to week, or maybe daily, depending on matchups. Guys like that are coming available all the time. Guys that are likely solid producers over the whole year where everybody will be after the same guy? Much more rare. I think he's worth a decent sized bid. If I had to suggest a number, maybe $21?

Not a fan of Dunn this year, and that includes OBP leagues as well. He can barely hit .200 anymore.
Yeah, I don't think 2011 Dunn is completely gone and buried.
That's what scares me. The more I think about it anyway, Weiters holds way more value in a AL only keeper league as well, so it's starting to look like a no brainer. But I really love Mous too. Hmmmm decisions.
Keep Wieters and offer either him or Santana up for a Rizzo-esque 1B?
Not sure there's a Rizzo type in the AL. Sorry can't help you with your FA post as I know less than zero about the NL. Thanks for your replies.
Hosmer IMO

How much should Lohse go for in FA? We all have 100 bucks to spend throughout the year. My SP's are weak. Here's what I got: Adam Wainwright (StL - SP)Chris Sale (CWS - SP)Kris Medlen (Atl - SP,RP)Mariano Rivera (NYY - RP)Andrew Cashner (SD - SP,RP)Jaime Garcia (StL - SP)Daniel Straily (Oak - SP)Chad Billingsley (LAD - SP)Trevor Bauer (Cle - SP)Eric O'Flaherty (Atl - RP)Should I go big? Is he worth anything? I'm new to Fantasy Baseball and don't know how often SP's come around.Thanks
League size and how many P's do you start?He's worth something. He would be around the Cashner/Garcia range in terms of your pitching depth. Your other question is harder to answer. Pitchers that are worth something change week to week, or maybe daily, depending on matchups. Guys like that are coming available all the time. Guys that are likely solid producers over the whole year where everybody will be after the same guy? Much more rare. I think he's worth a decent sized bid. If I had to suggest a number, maybe $21?
14 teams. Start 2 SP's. 2 RP's. And then 4. So 8 I guess.And Thank you.

It's going to be extra nerdy with 11 laptops on tables.....and one joining us from Florida.I'm going to call to let them know we'll be there but don't think there will be many there since there is nothing sports related that would draw a crowd tonight.Thanks for the input.
The kitchen crew will probably be interested in US-Mexico soccer tonight

Bountiful FA options in my main league. 14 team OBP. My style, obviously, is to load up on offense and build pitching throughout the year with cheap drafts/pickups of high-upside guys.Here's what I have:C: Rosario1B: Votto2B: Zobrist3B: BeltreSS: A. Escobar ($2!)OF: McCutchenOF: HarperOF: BeltranDH: FrazierDH: Ruggiano (drop?)BN: E. Cabrera (drop)BN: Eaton (DL bound)Here's where it gets fun...SP: BurnettSP: Garza (DL bound)SP: Miley (possible DL?)SP: TeheranSP: Fiers RP: ChapmanRP: GrilliBN: Luebke (DL bound)BN: E. RamirezBN: Smyly (pen/minors?)BN: Chen-I picked up E. Cabrera for $2, after whiffing on a lot of 2B, and then Esocbar almost went for $1 a couple rounds later. So basically I spent $4 on Escobar, which I'm happy with, but I've no use for Cabrera anymore. So that's one spot. I could drop Ruggiano, who I accidentally drafted and seems to be scuffling, that would be another. I'll get 3-4 spots from guys going on the DL (our DL cap is 6), and then another one if Porcello beats out Smyly.So who do I target and how do I prioritize? I have the 12th waiver priority. Here are the leading candidates:BatsMcCannHicksDudaL. MartinPuigQuentinCainLudwickRPVeras BoggsSPIwakumaPorcelloStraily (might get bumped after first week)HappKendrickGeeMaholmQuintanaHammelThots?
HicksCainGeeStraily (bumped down? is he AAA bound? what am I missing here?)IwakumaYou can probably dump Erasmo too, sounds like he's lost his battle.

Bountiful FA options in my main league. 14 team OBP. My style, obviously, is to load up on offense and build pitching throughout the year with cheap drafts/pickups of high-upside guys.Here's what I have:C: Rosario1B: Votto2B: Zobrist3B: BeltreSS: A. Escobar ($2!)OF: McCutchenOF: HarperOF: BeltranDH: FrazierDH: Ruggiano (drop?)BN: E. Cabrera (drop)BN: Eaton (DL bound)Here's where it gets fun...SP: BurnettSP: Garza (DL bound)SP: Miley (possible DL?)SP: TeheranSP: Fiers RP: ChapmanRP: GrilliBN: Luebke (DL bound)BN: E. RamirezBN: Smyly (pen/minors?)BN: Chen-I picked up E. Cabrera for $2, after whiffing on a lot of 2B, and then Esocbar almost went for $1 a couple rounds later. So basically I spent $4 on Escobar, which I'm happy with, but I've no use for Cabrera anymore. So that's one spot. I could drop Ruggiano, who I accidentally drafted and seems to be scuffling, that would be another. I'll get 3-4 spots from guys going on the DL (our DL cap is 6), and then another one if Porcello beats out Smyly.So who do I target and how do I prioritize? I have the 12th waiver priority. Here are the leading candidates:BatsMcCannHicksDudaL. MartinPuigQuentinCainLudwickRPVeras BoggsSPIwakumaPorcelloStraily (might get bumped after first week)HappKendrickGeeMaholmQuintanaHammelThots?
HicksCainGeeStraily (bumped down? is he AAA bound? what am I missing here?)IwakumaYou can probably dump Erasmo too, sounds like he's lost his battle.
Yeah, bummed about Erasmo. Straily is starting the first week, then getting sent down when Colon comes off of suspension. Unfortunately.

Think McCann ie worth a pickupFor arms, Gee was looking pretty good last year before the blood clot and his last spring outing was stellar.Mahlom didn't have a great W-L record in ATL, but his other stats were above average (ERA around 3.50, WHIP < 1.20)
Yeah, I like Maholm too. Not sexy, but he's very solid. I don't think McCann will get to me, but he could be an interesting chip.

Yeah, bummed about Erasmo. Straily is starting the first week, then getting sent down when Colon comes off of suspension. Unfortunately.
Good info, thanks. Wasn't aware and final draft is this weekend, have just missed him in my two others and didn't have the $ in my auction. In hindsight, glad to read. He's been one of my targets, loved wathcing him deal last year. SUrprised they're sending him down.

Anything to see with Yonder Alonso?
Depends on the cost, but if basically free he's on my flier list. See if he can change some of those doubles to HR's in the reduced sized Petco. Upside's still kinda low though, even if he sees a power spike he still has the lineup deficiency issues around him. Tough to expect anything more than 70/15/80/5/.285, tough to get excited about that ceiling.

Good info, thanks. Wasn't aware and final draft is this weekend, have just missed him in my two others and didn't have the $ in my auction. In hindsight, glad to read. He's been one of my targets, loved wathcing him deal last year. SUrprised they're sending him down.
It won't be long until Colon falls into a sinkhole or something and Straily's back up.

Cashner definitely

Then id get porcello. The other two are talented but don't have the opportunity yet. Unless you wanna stash them

Which SP is worth going after? Any chance you can help me pick two?PorcelloStraileyBauerCashnerThanks
Depends on bench size, if you need these guys now I'd absolutely go Cashner and Porcello since Straily and Bauer will be in AAA. If you have room to stash players I'd rather take a flier on Bauer than Porcello. Even if Porcello gets it together he's still a low K guy, I'd rather have the high K upside of Bauer waiting in the wings but...again, depends if you can afford to sit on him for an indefinite period of time or not.

What about a choice between Cashner and Ross Detwiler?
Cashner has elite strikeout potential but comes with some risks for injury and WHIP killing. Detwiler is nothing special.I'd pick up Cashner and start him at Petco if you dare. If he blows up, there will always be guys like Detwiler available during the season.

Cashner has the upside. Detwiler looks like he'll be a lot more consistent week to week, and has a better chance at 170+ innings. I own Cashner in a head to head points league that values K's. Detwiler probably has an advantage in roto.

Cashner has the upside. Detwiler looks like he'll be a lot more consistent week to week, and has a better chance at 170+ innings. I own Cashner in a head to head points league that values K's. Detwiler probably has an advantage in roto.
Nats beat writer seems to think Detwiler rises to #3 pitcher status on the team this year, pitching better than Haren and even Zimm. He says Detwiler made great strides last year and has worked hard in offseason on his secondary pitches. I targeted him in my drafts but somehow didn't land him as a #6 SP type.

Interesting. The Nats obviously have quite a roster, so they'll be getting W's in the stat column from someone.
SP Ws are hard to predict. Detwiler has had good WHIP and ERA numbers recently but has never put up more than 6 K/9. He's a safe pick as SP go, but you have to couple him with some high strikeout pitchers to compete in that category.Detwiler is similar to Matt Harrison, Jason Vargas, Jake Westbrook, etc. One of these guys will probably end up winning 15 games but I have no idea which one.

Interesting. The Nats obviously have quite a roster, so they'll be getting W's in the stat column from someone.
SP Ws are hard to predict. Detwiler has had good WHIP and ERA numbers recently but has never put up more than 6 K/9. He's a safe pick as SP go, but you have to couple him with some high strikeout pitchers to compete in that category.Detwiler is similar to Matt Harrison, Jason Vargas, Jake Westbrook, etc. One of these guys will probably end up winning 15 games but I have no idea which one.
Yep, one of these types per roster can work, more than that and any gains you make in W's are offset with lost K's. Even with one you probably need high K middle relievers a/o to roll the dice on guys like Garza or Volquez to stay at the top of K's. Lump Brandon McCarthy in there too, I think he's a notch higher than all of them though, low ratio numbers more likely. Of the remaining 4 I feel most comfortable with Detwiler and Harrison, wary Vargas was just a product of his home environment and Westbrook is well past his peak. Reason to believe for more growth from Harrison and Detwiler...Westbrook? Not so much.

Yep, one of these types per roster can work, more than that and any gains you make in W's are offset with lost K's. Even with one you probably need high K middle relievers a/o to roll the dice on guys like Garza or Volquez to stay at the top of K's. Lump Brandon McCarthy in there too, I think he's a notch higher than all of them though, low ratio numbers more likely. Of the remaining 4 I feel most comfortable with Detwiler and Harrison, wary Vargas was just a product of his home environment and Westbrook is well past his peak. Reason to believe for more growth from Harrison and Detwiler...Westbrook? Not so much.
I wasn't seriously suggesting rostering a guy like Westbrook. He's the extreme example of drafting a team situation rather than the pitcher himself. Arroyo is another guy that fits this mold.Vargas is moving to a worse home park but a better team. Plus he gets to face the Mariners (and Astros) as divisional foes now.

due to drafting old hurt guys and hanley ramirez i need a C/1B to start the season

avila

arenciba

salty

brantly :unsure:

kendrys morales

garrett jones

colvin

lind

any thoughts? i'm leaning morales, jones, lind, brantly

due to drafting old hurt guys and hanley ramirez i need a C/1B to start the seasonavilaarencibasaltybrantly :unsure: kendrys moralesgarrett jonescolvinlindany thoughts? i'm leaning morales, jones, lind, brantly
I'd forget about Lind and Brantly.Weekly lineup or you don't have any room to do platooning - Avila at C, Colvin at 1B. If you're dead set against Colvin go Morales. Avila had bad lefty/righty splits last year, but he hit them both well the year before. I think Avila wore down at the end of 2011 and it hurt his 2012, so I expect a bounce back.If you can platoon - Avila vs. righties/Salty vs. righties/Arencibia vs. lefties and Morales vs. righties/Jones vs. righties is the way to go. Colvin could work in the platoon too, better vs. righties than lefties and obviously the Coors advantage too. All depends on roster space how much of it you can do.

Picked up Luebke to stash on a DL spot. Was deciding between him or Daniel Hudson to stash for post-All Star break. Is Luebke the guy to stash over Hudson? Hudson over Luebke? It is H2H Points, Ks

Picked up Luebke to stash on a DL spot. Was deciding between him or Daniel Hudson to stash for post-All Star break. Is Luebke the guy to stash over Hudson? Hudson over Luebke? It is H2H Points, Ks
Doubt either provides much this year.If I were to pick one, it'd probably go with Hudson just because I project him to be back sooner since Luebke was shut down a few weeks ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to pick up a couple starters in a 20 team league. Anyone have an opinion on any of these guys having any potential this year. I'm probably going to end up saying screw it and streaming a bunch of them, but I can add a couple now to fill DL spots.

Jose Quintana

Ricky Nolasco

Mike Leake

Jeff Karstens

Travis Wood

Joe Saunders

Brad Peacock

Luis Mendoza

Jeremy Guthrie

Juan Nicasio

Jorge De La Rosa

Philip Humber

Jhoulys Chacin

Id roll the dice on JDLR & Chacin and only pitch them in road starts
Me too, keep an eye on Peacock though.
I think Saunders is roster-worthy in a deep league. He's a steady innings eater rather than sexy strikeout artist. He should get strong run support and will benefit from superior OF defense in Anaheim. His divisional matchups with Seattle and Houston are good, and I'm not sold on the Oaklands' offense either.If you need strikeouts more than IP, I think the two Rockies are probably your best option.

I think Saunders is roster-worthy in a deep league. He's a steady innings eater rather than sexy strikeout artist. He should get strong run support and will benefit from superior OF defense in Anaheim. His divisional matchups with Seattle and Houston are good, and I'm not sold on the Oaklands' offense either.If you need strikeouts more than IP, I think the two Rockies are probably your best option.
Saunders is on the Mariners.

Jeff KarstensJeremy Guthrie
I like Karstens quite a bit, but he has a sore shoulder so you may be able to wait. A few years back he changed his approach on the mound and had decent results, bumping up his k rate, and really hardly walks anyone at all. But, pitchers with sore shoulders sometimes spell trouble. He's still relatively young.I always thought Guthrie would be more successful at Baltimore as he seemed to have decent stuff. But never really had any solid results, as he pitched on a bad team in the best division in baseball. So what happens - he moves to Colorado where pitchers go to die.Then he shows up in KC and has pretty decent success. He pitches in a weakish division and has a good defense behind him. I think he'll be rosterable in a 20-man league for sure.

Saunders is on the Mariners.
Oops. Blanton and Saunders have baffled me for years. They're similar pitchers although one is LHP and one is RHP (and Blanton isn't available in NV's league)

due to drafting old hurt guys and hanley ramirez i need a C/1B to start the seasonavilaarencibasaltybrantly :unsure: kendrys moralesgarrett jonescolvinlindany thoughts? i'm leaning morales, jones, lind, brantly
I'd forget about Lind and Brantly.Weekly lineup or you don't have any room to do platooning - Avila at C, Colvin at 1B. If you're dead set against Colvin go Morales. Avila had bad lefty/righty splits last year, but he hit them both well the year before. I think Avila wore down at the end of 2011 and it hurt his 2012, so I expect a bounce back.If you can platoon - Avila vs. righties/Salty vs. righties/Arencibia vs. lefties and Morales vs. righties/Jones vs. righties is the way to go. Colvin could work in the platoon too, better vs. righties than lefties and obviously the Coors advantage too. All depends on roster space how much of it you can do.
thx!12 team weekly starts

Is there anyone at all worth rostering from the Astros?
Altuve is the obvious one. If you need cheap ks, norris. Whoever is closing games, so, veras to open. Someone's from carter, wallace, and pena could be useful. Keep an eye on the of, all platoons to open but someone will get hot.

Users who are viewing this thread