What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson and Darren McFadden are pretty similar in height and w (2 Viewers)

Peterson is also skinny by NFL standards, but he's a tad bulkier than McFadden. He doesn't seem quite as top heavy and looks a little bit thicker in the legs. The big difference is that he runs a lot stronger. Watch them run and count the number of tackles broken after contact:

AP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP_LrhTwWN8...feature=related

DMC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FCfZoPGEFA

The measuring tape doesn't always tell the whole story. These are two different animals.

Peterson is a convenient comparison for McFadden, but not an especially good one. They're not similar at all in terms of playing style. McFadden is a pure speed back. Peterson is a speed/power hybrid who also shows some make-you-miss ability.
I hope you are not implying that McFadden doesn't have that because you can turn on many of highlight reels and watch all the misses. Thus, it would imply he too has a "make-you-miss" ability.
He can dodge tacklers once he gets a full head of steam, but you rarely see him flash much lateral quickness. You never really see him stick his foot in the ground and make someone miss like Peterson or Bush. He's more of a straight line runner.

Peterson is also skinny by NFL standards, but he's a tad bulkier than McFadden. He doesn't seem quite as top heavy and looks a little bit thicker in the legs. The big difference is that he runs a lot stronger. Watch them run and count the number of tackles broken after contact:

AP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP_LrhTwWN8...feature=related

DMC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FCfZoPGEFA

The measuring tape doesn't always tell the whole story. These are two different animals.

Peterson is a convenient comparison for McFadden, but not an especially good one. They're not similar at all in terms of playing style. McFadden is a pure speed back. Peterson is a speed/power hybrid who also shows some make-you-miss ability.
I hope you are not implying that McFadden doesn't have that because you can turn on many of highlight reels and watch all the misses. Thus, it would imply he too has a "make-you-miss" ability.
He can dodge tacklers once he gets a full head of steam, but you rarely see him flash much lateral quickness. You never really see him stick his foot in the ground and make someone miss like Peterson or Bush. He's more of a straight line runner.
Exactly what I meant. I haven't seen much of him, so it's based almost solely on those video clips, but he seemed to be running straight past people, not making "moves" to get himself free.

McFadden is a pure speed back. Peterson is a speed/power hybrid who also shows some make-you-miss ability.
Its very simple if you ask me..McFadden has 0 leg drive on inside runsA majority of his successful runs were sweeps to the outsideHe doesnt make his own holesMcFadden = Bush = No interest from this guy
I see a LOT of posts like the above. I'm curious...no attacks here...but how many who feel this way watched a lot of McFadden's games in college? I did...at least 12 entire games, in person (once) or on TV. And I don't share the above impression at all.My impression from watching him carry the ball 30 times in a game is that McFadden does have power. The key to that IMO is his EXPLOSIVE BURST to the LOS. He gets to the line so fast that it's really difficult to keep him to under 3 yards.I've said this many times...and it's not just this game that showcases this...but the best example is the Alabama game for '07. Nutt decided he would just run McFadden up the middle the entire second half. And he was unstoppable. Almost brought Arky back from a 17 pt deficit. If he didn't wear down at the end of the game after 35 carries (which could be an issue), Arky would have won and DM would have run for 250 yards.Agreed his highlights are almost exclusively running thru gaping holes or beating defenders to the outside. But McFadden carried the ball alot, and many of his carries were runs up the middle that showed me he does have some power...certainly more than Reggie Bush.
I watched quite a few of his games over the past two years. I am not saying the guy is not going to be a decent pro, however I did not see the leg drive on inside plays that is required in the NF. He is very much like Reggie Bush in that he tries to turn the corner more times then not and as Reggie is learning, that doesn't fly in the NFL. I think "fans" of college players sometimes forget that these guys are playing against 2-300 guys over their career that wont be able to sniff the NFL. What you see in college is not always what you see in the Pros and the biggest difference in the pro game is player speed. This is why IMO guys like McFadden and Bush will struggle in the NFL until they learn the pro game.
Though it may not be the NFL, it's the SEC. It's not pac-10 or Conf USA...it's the SEC. SEC is known for stout defenses, please stop acting like he's playing flag football with a bunch of 6 year olds.
Come on; how many defensive players in the SEC the last two seasons are going to be NFL starters. Myabe it will be a small fraction more than that of other conferences, but to try and say the SEC is closer to the NFL than the Pac-10 or Conf USa is quite a stretch.College speedsize/talent <> NFL speed/size/talent regardless of what conference one plays in. If it did, there wouldn't be so many busts who college production didn't translate to the NFL.

Just some comments on what i have read.

How strong your legs are does not dictate how fast you can run.

Nor does it determine your vertical jump. The ratio of slow twitch to fast twitch muscle fibers(genetics) and your abilility to make them fire has more to do with it than anything.The more fast twitch fibers the more explosive the runner/athlete usually is.This is why serious power lifters have a heavy leg day and a explosive training day.To get that 800lb squat out of the whole and moving raw power alone will not do it. Mcfadden has the explosiveness but looks like he lacks the raw power. Westbrook was the same way coming out of villanova.Thin wheels, but if you look at him now the wheels are far from small.Why?He had to develop/build the power.Funny thing is as the legs got stronger the work load increased for Brian.(TIKI as well) This will probelly be the same for McFadden.

But in a nut shell i bet AP has a better genetic structure and tendon strength. Everyone talks about his grip strength and thats all about tendons. The fastest RB'S do not always make the best backs,it's a combination and i can't see Mcfadden(this season) breaking tackles and making the Plays AP did this year. i think he is this seasons Reggie Bush.... Tons of talent but can't run between the tackles

Has anyone considered, even just for a moment, that this guy MOST OFTEN faced 8, and even, 9 man fronts ("8-9 in the box") while in college due to Arkansas total ineptitude in the passing game. Yet he still rushed for over 3,500 yds the past two seasons......in the SEC......a conference for which you will probably see having the most defensive players selected in the upcoming draft.

I mean, c'mon, entire defenses were stacked against this guy every game on virtually every down.......And every prospect has a wart or two, and if all guys can come up with is that he has "skinny legs", then I would not be concerned at all.......with no time devoted to classwork, don't you think that McFadden can work on his leg strength quite a bit to build up more leg drive?.....It only makes sense to me that I'd have this guy meeting a strength and conditioning coach every day for 4-5 hrs or so and that negative can turn into a positive rather quickly........but no player is going to 'buy' better explosion and cutback ability to the level that he possesses....

Can someone show me some footage of McFadden bowling guys over, breaking tough tackles and dragging guys with him before going down? Until I see that evidence to counter what I have seen to the contrary, the ceiling on McFadden will be limited unless he is in a spread/wide open offense with an O line making BIG holes (because once in space, the guy has wheels, but there is more to football than what Michael Bennett can bring)
Can you show me video LT doing it as well? I can show you 1000 plays of him running out of bounds untouched. It hasn't seemed to hurt his fantasy value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone considered, even just for a moment, that this guy MOST OFTEN faced 8, and even, 9 man fronts ("8-9 in the box") while in college due to Arkansas total ineptitude in the passing game. Yet he still rushed for over 3,500 yds the past two seasons......in the SEC......a conference for which you will probably see having the most defensive players selected in the upcoming draft.I mean, c'mon, entire defenses were stacked against this guy every game on virtually every down.......And every prospect has a wart or two, and if all guys can come up with is that he has "skinny legs", then I would not be concerned at all.......with no time devoted to classwork, don't you think that McFadden can work on his leg strength quite a bit to build up more leg drive?.....It only makes sense to me that I'd have this guy meeting a strength and conditioning coach every day for 4-5 hrs or so and that negative can turn into a positive rather quickly........but no player is going to 'buy' better explosion and cutback ability to the level that he possesses....
Or how about the fact that this guy will only be 20 when he enters the NFL....

Yes, they have similar heights and weights but to me the important thing is their vert's. Dmac jumped 33" while AD did 38.5" that indicates that AD has a heck of a lot more leg strength
What's the first thing any team that drafts McFadden is going to have him work on? The guy doesn't turn 21 until right before the season so he could easily be 220+ by the time he's 22.

Just some comments on what i have read.How strong your legs are does not dictate how fast you can run. Nor does it determine your vertical jump. The ratio of slow twitch to fast twitch muscle fibers(genetics) and your abilility to make them fire has more to do with it than anything.The more fast twitch fibers the more explosive the runner/athlete usually is.This is why serious power lifters have a heavy leg day and a explosive training day.To get that 800lb squat out of the whole and moving raw power alone will not do it. Mcfadden has the explosiveness but looks like he lacks the raw power. Westbrook was the same way coming out of villanova.Thin wheels, but if you look at him now the wheels are far from small.Why?He had to develop/build the power.Funny thing is as the legs got stronger the work load increased for Brian.(TIKI as well) This will probelly be the same for McFadden.But in a nut shell i bet AP has a better genetic structure and tendon strength. Everyone talks about his grip strength and thats all about tendons. The fastest RB'S do not always make the best backs,it's a combination and i can't see Mcfadden(this season) breaking tackles and making the Plays AP did this year. i think he is this seasons Reggie Bush.... Tons of talent but can't run between the tackles
AP came into the league a year and a half older than McFadden. I'm not expecting him to blow away the NFL the way AP did, but by 2009 he'll be a top 10 back.

McFadden is a pure speed back. Peterson is a speed/power hybrid who also shows some make-you-miss ability.
Its very simple if you ask me..McFadden has 0 leg drive on inside runsA majority of his successful runs were sweeps to the outsideHe doesnt make his own holesMcFadden = Bush = No interest from this guy
I see a LOT of posts like the above. I'm curious...no attacks here...but how many who feel this way watched a lot of McFadden's games in college? I did...at least 12 entire games, in person (once) or on TV. And I don't share the above impression at all.My impression from watching him carry the ball 30 times in a game is that McFadden does have power. The key to that IMO is his EXPLOSIVE BURST to the LOS. He gets to the line so fast that it's really difficult to keep him to under 3 yards.I've said this many times...and it's not just this game that showcases this...but the best example is the Alabama game for '07. Nutt decided he would just run McFadden up the middle the entire second half. And he was unstoppable. Almost brought Arky back from a 17 pt deficit. If he didn't wear down at the end of the game after 35 carries (which could be an issue), Arky would have won and DM would have run for 250 yards.Agreed his highlights are almost exclusively running thru gaping holes or beating defenders to the outside. But McFadden carried the ball alot, and many of his carries were runs up the middle that showed me he does have some power...certainly more than Reggie Bush.
I watched quite a few of his games over the past two years. I am not saying the guy is not going to be a decent pro, however I did not see the leg drive on inside plays that is required in the NF. He is very much like Reggie Bush in that he tries to turn the corner more times then not and as Reggie is learning, that doesn't fly in the NFL. I think "fans" of college players sometimes forget that these guys are playing against 2-300 guys over their career that wont be able to sniff the NFL. What you see in college is not always what you see in the Pros and the biggest difference in the pro game is player speed. This is why IMO guys like McFadden and Bush will struggle in the NFL until they learn the pro game.
Though it may not be the NFL, it's the SEC. It's not pac-10 or Conf USA...it's the SEC. SEC is known for stout defenses, please stop acting like he's playing flag football with a bunch of 6 year olds.
Come on; how many defensive players in the SEC the last two seasons are going to be NFL starters. Myabe it will be a small fraction more than that of other conferences, but to try and say the SEC is closer to the NFL than the Pac-10 or Conf USa is quite a stretch.College speedsize/talent <> NFL speed/size/talent regardless of what conference one plays in. If it did, there wouldn't be so many busts who college production didn't translate to the NFL.
It shows that you don't watch any college football. I never said that the SEC was the same as the NFL, but if you knew your college football you'd realize that the SEC is light years different than Conf USA or even the Pac-10. Just note, I'm not a SEC guy either...so, don't think this is coming from anyone who has ties or interest in the SEC itself. You just have to know that overall, there are better conferences in the college football ranks than others. This is a prime example why the Hawaii QB's, that always put up good stats, are not drafted or taken high in the NFL draft. Plain and simple, it;s the competition you face.Never said it was a sure thing for the NFL, but giving a counter to the thought that it's just a regular ho hum college player. The SEC has been known for years and years to be the best if not one of the best defensive conferences in college.

Has anyone considered, even just for a moment, that this guy MOST OFTEN faced 8, and even, 9 man fronts ("8-9 in the box") while in college due to Arkansas total ineptitude in the passing game. Yet he still rushed for over 3,500 yds the past two seasons......in the SEC......a conference for which you will probably see having the most defensive players selected in the upcoming draft.I mean, c'mon, entire defenses were stacked against this guy every game on virtually every down.......And every prospect has a wart or two, and if all guys can come up with is that he has "skinny legs", then I would not be concerned at all.......with no time devoted to classwork, don't you think that McFadden can work on his leg strength quite a bit to build up more leg drive?.....It only makes sense to me that I'd have this guy meeting a strength and conditioning coach every day for 4-5 hrs or so and that negative can turn into a positive rather quickly........but no player is going to 'buy' better explosion and cutback ability to the level that he possesses....
:goodposting: Amen brother!!!

It shows that you don't watch any college football. I never said that the SEC was the same as the NFL, but if you knew your college football you'd realize that the SEC is light years different than Conf USA or even the Pac-10. Just note, I'm not a SEC guy either...so, don't think this is coming from anyone who has ties or interest in the SEC itself. You just have to know that overall, there are better conferences in the college football ranks than others. This is a prime example why the Hawaii QB's, that always put up good stats, are not drafted or taken high in the NFL draft. Plain and simple, it;s the competition you face.Never said it was a sure thing for the NFL, but giving a counter to the thought that it's just a regular ho hum college player. The SEC has been known for years and years to be the best if not one of the best defensive conferences in college.
I'd be curious to see how many NFL players per team per year each conference has yielded over the past decade. I'd be curious to see if the SEC is really a huge step up from the Pac-10, Big 10, Big 12, ACC or Big East. I don't think the difference is all that big between the BCS conferences.

I'd be curious to see how many NFL players per team per year each conference has yielded over the past decade. I'd be curious to see if the SEC is really a huge step up from the Pac-10, Big 10, Big 12, ACC or Big East. I don't think the difference is all that big between the BCS conferences.
I don't have the numbers handy, but I actually think they do prove this very fact for the SEC. Here is quote from Lindy's pre-season college football mag in regards to ranking the conferences:
1. SECIt's not even a debate. The SEC has the grandest college football cathedrals, great tradition, the most NFL players, the highest attendance, the most bowl appearances and most most victories this decade.All that, and two national champions in the past four year.

Many in this thread talk about DMac's lack of leg strength. This may actually be a selling point for me. Because....

Of all the physical gifts a runner may need to posses, the one EASIEST to aquire (without great genetics) is strength. That means we can EXPECT DMac, especially based on his age, to be more powerful at the next level. Combine that with exceptional burst and speed and you have the makings of a very rare RB.

What do they say about speed? ..... Let me see ..... Oh yeah - you can't teach it! But you sure as hell can improve your squat.

The notion that he's going to pack on a lot of lower body bulk seems pretty misguided. A thin frame is a thin frame and no amount of weight training can turn someone who's naturally slender into someone who's stocky. Since I'm a Golden State Warriors fan, I'll use the example of Joe Smith. He came into the NBA at 6'10" 225 pounds. The analysts said he'd be a great low post player if he could just gain some weight. He's currently in his 12th NBA season. His measurements? 6'10" and 225 pounds.

Some players don't have the frame to accomodate additional weight. McFadden's legs are skinny. This isn't something that can be corrected by a few reps on the leg press machine for the same reason Randy Moss will never be built like Terrell Owens. One guy is naturally thin. One guy is naturally big. The weights don't make the man.

You want your RBs built like this:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/stewart..._rice-getty.jpg

Not this:

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provide...hoto_id=2347676

McFadden may very well become a stud in the NFL, but it won't be because he hits the weights and becomes Steven Jackson overnight. What you see right now is probably more or less what you're going to get at the next level in terms of body type and playing style.

The notion that he's going to pack on a lot of lower body bulk seems pretty misguided. A thin frame is a thin frame and no amount of weight training can turn someone who's naturally slender into someone who's stocky. Since I'm a Golden State Warriors fan, I'll use the example of Joe Smith. He came into the NBA at 6'10" 225 pounds. The analysts said he'd be a great low post player if he could just gain some weight. He's currently in his 12th NBA season. His measurements? 6'10" and 225 pounds.

Some players don't have the frame to accomodate additional weight. McFadden's legs are skinny. This isn't something that can be corrected by a few reps on the leg press machine for the same reason Randy Moss will never be built like Terrell Owens. One guy is naturally thin. One guy is naturally big. The weights don't make the man.

Not this:

McFadden may very well become a stud in the NFL, but it won't be because he hits the weights and becomes Steven Jackson overnight. What you see right now is probably more or less what you're going to get at the next level in terms of body type and playing style.
All the RB's you like, they weren't born that way and spent a lot of time in the gym. Even if some people are genetically predisposed to be stockier, there are methods to increasing strength and muscle mass.

Not this:

All the RB's you like, they weren't born that way and spent a lot of time in the gym. Even if some people are genetically predisposed to be stockier, there are methods to increasing strength and muscle mass.
You don't think Arkansas has a strength and conditioning program? It's beside the point really. McFadden does not have a stocky body type. It has nothing to do with weight training. It's a matter of genetics more than anything. Think about some of the people you know in your everyday life and think about how many of them radically transformed their bodies through weightlifting. I suspect it's a small number. Thick people will always be thick. Skinny people will always be skinny. Randy Moss will never be Terrell Owens. It has nothing to do with work ethic and everything to do with genetics. If everyone could get huge then every WR in the NFL would be built like TO or Boldin. Obviously it doesn't work that way.

McFadden may gain 5-10 pounds over the next 5-6 years, but he will never be a bruising runner. I don't care if people are high on his prospects, but using the "he's going to gain weight and become a power runner" argument as justification is weak. Like I said, what you see is probably what you get in terms of playing style and body type. Not many RBs completely transform their game when they hit the pro ranks. In fact, does it ever happen? Doubt it.

Not this:

Does he need to get legs as big as Stephen Jackson to improve his lower body strength?

Not this:

And do you think they haven't been doing this already at both the H.S. and college level, especially? I can assure you he's been involved in rigorous training and exercising programs the moment he hit the door at Arkansas. The ONLY thing in favor of McFadden bulking up slightly is his age, not the NFL weight room. But, whatever little bit he may be able to fill out because he's not fully developed won't change his build dramatically. He's a RB in a WR's body. It's a cause for concern. Will it keep him from doing well at the NFL? I don't know, but there's just not many RB's with his build that have succeeded. He essentially has to go against the odds to do so. Not saying it can't happen, but he's far from the lock some think he is because of what he did at the college level.

Not this:

You don't think Arkansas has a strength and conditioning program? It's beside the point really. McFadden does not have a stocky body type. It has nothing to do with weight training. It's a matter of genetics more than anything. Think about some of the people you know in your everyday life and think about how many of them radically transformed their bodies through weightlifting. I suspect it's a small number. Thick people will always be thick. Skinny people will always be skinny. Randy Moss will never be Terrell Owens. It has nothing to do with work ethic and everything to do with genetics. If everyone could get huge then every WR in the NFL would be built like TO or Boldin. Obviously it doesn't work that way.

McFadden may gain 5-10 pounds over the next 5-6 years, but he will never be a bruising runner. I don't care if people are high on his prospects, but using the "he's going to gain weight and become a power runner" argument as justification is weak. Like I said, what you see is probably what you get in terms of playing style and body type. Not many RBs completely transform their game when they hit the pro ranks. In fact, does it ever happen? Doubt it.
Comparing a strength and conditioning program of NCAA to NFL is like night and day......NFL is a 24/7/365 enterprise with no distractions such as class, tests, and budget limits.........and the coaching is tenfold better in the pros than in college. Techniques that are taught in the pros are rarely even brought into the college game, and training is on a whole different level......And more to the point at hand, who says that McFadden has to transform into some stocky, hulk-like figure to be dominant in the NFL......all he has to do is add strength, not a lot of bulk. As has been posted previously, adding strength is easy, yes, EASY, when compared to other skills such as natural running instincts, vision, cutting ability, and burst.......You either have those or you don't.

I must admit after being skeptical at first, I'm starting to be won over by the body type argument; he really does look like a wideout. Are there or have there been any good RB's in the NFL that look like McFadden?

Not this:

Comparing a strength and conditioning program of NCAA to NFL is like night and day......NFL is a 24/7/365 enterprise with no distractions such as class, tests, and budget limits.........and the coaching is tenfold better in the pros than in college. Techniques that are taught in the pros are rarely even brought into the college game, and training is on a whole different level......And more to the point at hand, who says that McFadden has to transform into some stocky, hulk-like figure to be dominant in the NFL......all he has to do is add strength, not a lot of bulk. As has been posted previously, adding strength is easy, yes, EASY, when compared to other skills such as natural running instincts, vision, cutting ability, and burst.......You either have those or you don't.
Thank you, exactly what I've been saying. Give the kid a year to mature in an NFL training program and he'll look like AP next year.

I must admit after being skeptical at first, I'm starting to be won over by the body type argument; he really does look like a wideout. Are there or have there been any good RB's in the NFL that look like McFadden?
I dunno, some guy named O.J. Simpson........and Marcus Allen........I believe Gale Sayers was pretty good, too.... :kicksrock:

I dunno, some guy named O.J. Simpson........and Marcus Allen........I believe Gale Sayers was pretty good, too.... :kicksrock:
Robert Smith, and the one i think he most resembles, Eric Dickerson.

Not this:

Are you looking for more 'shapely' legs, or are your really just concerned about strength? If so your argument simply does not hold water, especially when we are talking about an elite athlete.I will give you an example: me. I was about 30 and had a relatively skinny frame when I started playing competitive beach volleyball in Cali. I worked out - sport and gym. I have never had big bulk, but in the end my legs were stronger (both functionally and gym-wise) than most men. Now you tell me, if a schmuck off the street can do it, how the hell do you put such limitations on a genetically gifted world-class athlete who's livelihood depends upon it?

I think you and others are trying to hard. The more you disparage the strength factor, the more I am convinced McFadden will end up as a top 3 running back.

I dunno, some guy named O.J. Simpson........and Marcus Allen........I believe Gale Sayers was pretty good, too.... :thumbup:
Lower body does not resemble Dickerson at all:Dickerson's legs

I dunno, some guy named O.J. Simpson........and Marcus Allen........I believe Gale Sayers was pretty good, too.... :thumbup:
Lower body does not resemble Dickerson at all:http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/51315375.jp...40A659CEC4C8CB6
Broken link, here is one for you. His legs dont look any bigger then DMacs.http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/225359.jpg?...84831B75F48EF45

Lower body does not resemble Dickerson at all:http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/51315375.jp...40A659CEC4C8CB6
Have to agree... and most of the other guys mentioned were from a different era. I'm not especially down on McFadden but I no where near as high on him as I was ADP; I had no doubt that he would be great (although his health was and remains a concern).

Your link doesn't work, but Dickerson was 2 years older as a rookie (23) than McFadden will be.

Your link doesn't work, but Dickerson was 2 years older as a rookie (23) than McFadden will be.
Works for me.

Can't we all just agree that McFadden is the best QB in this draft class. I mean if Atlanta drafts him, gives him the #7, and painted "Vick" over his name all there problems would be solved. :thumbup:

Not this:

Are you looking for more 'shapely' legs, or are your really just concerned about strength? If so your argument simply does not hold water, especially when we are talking about an elite athlete.I will give you an example: me. I was about 30 and had a relatively skinny frame when I started playing competitive beach volleyball in Cali. I worked out - sport and gym. I have never had big bulk, but in the end my legs were stronger (both functionally and gym-wise) than most men. Now you tell me, if a schmuck off the street can do it, how the hell do you put such limitations on a genetically gifted world-class athlete who's livelihood depends upon it?

I think you and others are trying to hard. The more you disparage the strength factor, the more I am convinced McFadden will end up as a top 3 running back.
I can't even begin to compare beach volleyball with the NFL.David Beckham is as about as strong and fit a Sportsman as there is and I wouldn't like to see him trying to run the ball in the NFL.

Try using a fair comparison. To make your point, you pull an image after Dickerson was in the NFL for years. :thumbup: Try this one, when he was at SMU!

Try using a fair comparison. To make your point, you pull an image after Dickerson was in the NFL for years. :thumbup: Try this one, when he was at SMU!
they still look noticeably bigger than McFadden's

I dunno, some guy named O.J. Simpson........and Marcus Allen........I believe Gale Sayers was pretty good, too.... :fro:
Try using a fair comparison. To make your point, you pull an image after Dickerson was in the NFL for years. :no: Try this one, when he was at SMU!
they still look noticeably bigger than McFadden's
Time to get some glasses or change the prescription... :nerd:

Tried to get to pictures of DMac and Dickerson from the same angle. Tell me who has bigger legs?

Mcfadden

Dickerson
i think it's more his calves than his thighs even. McFadden doesn't have a calf muscle.
Look at the pictures side by side, Mcfaddens calves are just as big as ED's, and his thighs are definetly bigger.
OK I concede, McFadden has the archetypal RB physique and he'll probably set a lot of records. I'm off to look at some chick's body parts for a while. :shrug:

Tried to get to pictures of DMac and Dickerson from the same angle. Tell me who has bigger legs?

Mcfadden

Dickerson
i think it's more his calves than his thighs even. McFadden doesn't have a calf muscle.
Look at the pictures side by side, Mcfaddens calves are just as big as ED's, and his thighs are definetly bigger.
OK I concede, McFadden has the archetypal RB physique and he'll probably set a lot of records.
I never said that, just that Mcfadden reminded me most of Dickerson.

Not this:

There's a big difference between grabbing a guy off the street and grabbing a guy off a division one strength and conditioning program. Your average joe has much more room for improvement because he hasn't been working out at all. Arkansas is a big time football program. I'd imagine McFadden is already pretty familiar with the weight room. He's probably close to his strength cap. I stand by my argument that what you see is what you get. By and large, the running style you see from an elite college RB will be the same running style he'll have in the NFL. McFadden doesn't break many tackles in college which tells me he probably won't break many tackles in the NFL. People saying otherwise are trying to make him out to be something he's not. He's a speed back. If he succeeds in the NFL, it will be because of his speed and acceleration.

All the stuff about adding weight or filling out his frame is nonsense, IMO. Most players just don't get that much bigger after entering the league. Look at the recent early entry first round RBs: ADP, Lynch, Bush, Maroney, Cadillac, Ronnie, Benson, KJ, and Jackson. Those guys were essentially finished products the day they were drafted. Most of them were already at their weight and strength cap. Why is McFadden somehow exempt from this trend? Just because he's a bit younger? I don't buy that. He's a grown man. His body isn't going to change radically.

Just some comments on what i have read.How strong your legs are does not dictate how fast you can run. Nor does it determine your vertical jump. The ratio of slow twitch to fast twitch muscle fibers(genetics) and your abilility to make them fire has more to do with it than anything.The more fast twitch fibers the more explosive the runner/athlete usually is.This is why serious power lifters have a heavy leg day and a explosive training day.To get that 800lb squat out of the whole and moving raw power alone will not do it. Mcfadden has the explosiveness but looks like he lacks the raw power. Westbrook was the same way coming out of villanova.Thin wheels, but if you look at him now the wheels are far from small.Why?He had to develop/build the power.Funny thing is as the legs got stronger the work load increased for Brian.(TIKI as well) This will probelly be the same for McFadden.But in a nut shell i bet AP has a better genetic structure and tendon strength. Everyone talks about his grip strength and thats all about tendons. The fastest RB'S do not always make the best backs,it's a combination and i can't see Mcfadden(this season) breaking tackles and making the Plays AP did this year. i think he is this seasons Reggie Bush.... Tons of talent but can't run between the tackles
Very :lmao: This is the best posting in a long time. This guy knows what he is talking about.

AP came into the league a year and a half older than McFadden. I'm not expecting him to blow away the NFL the way AP did, but by 2009 he'll be a top 10 back.
Unless i miss understand this is a FANTASY FOOTBALL message board and nun of us own a actual NFL team.If your in a dynasty league and your happy with R.Bush like production take him...The only way i would do so is if i had the 3rd pick and my two other backs were gone.This guy is the #1 talent in the draft??There are soooo many variables in the real nfl team/system ect but for a guy who is suppost to be king #### i don't see it.His best scenerio is to be in a RBBC He can't carry a full load on his own and he is not AP not close thats what the topic is about. Top 10 in 2009?.So regardless of were he ends up he's top 10....WOW!!!??? We have RB"s in the top 10 that were 3 4 5 round picks guys who had 3 major knee injuries in collage. Guys who were collage backups. He better not be in the top 10 he should be #1 becouse there are 10 guys in the top 10 with less than what he has based on what your saying.And you are talking about the #1 prospect in the entire Draft.The experts say DM would have been drafted before AP becouse of the injury concerns with AP...DM is not even in the same class as AP and may never be.But this is whats great some guy will take him and others will get one pick closer to who they want..I read the post about you can't teach speed but you can get a stronger squat... i agree 100 percent he has talents others will never have.The question is... does they translate to the NFL? One final note...Reggie Bush did a lot of sick #### in collage.how did that translate to the NFL for him??? DM may be the fantasy football sucker pick for this season...Just my opinion boys have a good one..

Not this:

There's a big difference between grabbing a guy off the street and grabbing a guy off a division one strength and conditioning program. Your average joe has much more room for improvement because he hasn't been working out at all. Arkansas is a big time football program. I'd imagine McFadden is already pretty familiar with the weight room. He's probably close to his strength cap. I stand by my argument that what you see is what you get. By and large, the running style you see from an elite college RB will be the same running style he'll have in the NFL. McFadden doesn't break many tackles in college which tells me he probably won't break many tackles in the NFL. People saying otherwise are trying to make him out to be something he's not. He's a speed back. If he succeeds in the NFL, it will be because of his speed and acceleration.

All the stuff about adding weight or filling out his frame is nonsense, IMO. Most players just don't get that much bigger after entering the league. Look at the recent early entry first round RBs: ADP, Lynch, Bush, Maroney, Cadillac, Ronnie, Benson, KJ, and Jackson. Those guys were essentially finished products the day they were drafted. Most of them were already at their weight and strength cap. Why is McFadden somehow exempt from this trend? Just because he's a bit younger? I don't buy that. He's a grown man. His body isn't going to change radically.
:goodposting: McFadden has definitely been lifting weights for years now - all throughout high school and college. Everybody has a genetic cap and he's most likely close to reaching his, which is why the notion that he will get significantly stronger once he reaches the pros is probably a false one. I mean, powerhouse college football programs are going to have pretty sophisticated weight training programs; I don't think the difference between the weight training program at a top football college and one in the NFL is going to be like night and day like a previous poster said. Don't a lot of pros return to their alma maters to train in the offseason, with former Miami Hurricanes being an example? The facilities at these colleges are going to be top-notch. Additionally, at a top football college, the emphasis of the college as a whole is probably going to be on the football program, which means that budget for the football program will be pretty high. As for classes and tests? I know this is being cynical, but I'd imagine that a high draft pick like McFadden probably had a ton of leeway with academics and didn't have to worry about them, since he's essentially the face of not just Arkansas football but the entire university as well. The school would want to make sure that he plays. Whew. To summarize, I think it's reasonable to infer that McFadden has been engaged in very intense weight training for awhile, thus making it likely that he's close to reaching his cap in terms of strength. If he wasn't blowing people up like ADP in college, how is he going to do that in the NFL? He has a LOT of ground to make up in the strength department.

Not this:

:pickle: McFadden has definitely been lifting weights for years now - all throughout high school and college. Everybody has a genetic cap and he's most likely close to reaching his, which is why the notion that he will get significantly stronger once he reaches the pros is probably a false one. I mean, powerhouse college football programs are going to have pretty sophisticated weight training programs; I don't think the difference between the weight training program at a top football college and one in the NFL is going to be like night and day like a previous poster said. Don't a lot of pros return to their alma maters to train in the offseason, with former Miami Hurricanes being an example? The facilities at these colleges are going to be top-notch. Additionally, at a top football college, the emphasis of the college as a whole is probably going to be on the football program, which means that budget for the football program will be pretty high. As for classes and tests? I know this is being cynical, but I'd imagine that a high draft pick like McFadden probably had a ton of leeway with academics and didn't have to worry about them, since he's essentially the face of not just Arkansas football but the entire university as well. The school would want to make sure that he plays. Whew. To summarize, I think it's reasonable to infer that McFadden has been engaged in very intense weight training for awhile, thus making it likely that he's close to reaching his cap in terms of strength. If he wasn't blowing people up like ADP in college, how is he going to do that in the NFL? He has a LOT of ground to make up in the strength department.
You lost me at concluding that a 20 year old kid has likely close to his cap in terms of strength because he has been lifting weights for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread