What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson and Darren McFadden are pretty similar in height and w (1 Viewer)

Not many RBs completely transform their game when they hit the pro ranks. In fact, does it ever happen? Doubt it.
Completely not the point of this thread, but when I read this comment Kevin Jones immediately came to mind. In college he was an outside speed guy, and in the pros became a tough pounding type of runner.In college he was around 5'10" 207lbs and in the pros was 5'10" 225lbs. Lets leave the KJ bashing out of this, but for sake of argument it can happen to a highly drafted RB. (not often I agree, but possible)

The notion that he's going to pack on a lot of lower body bulk seems pretty misguided. A thin frame is a thin frame and no amount of weight training can turn someone who's naturally slender into someone who's stocky. Since I'm a Golden State Warriors fan, I'll use the example of Joe Smith. He came into the NBA at 6'10" 225 pounds. The analysts said he'd be a great low post player if he could just gain some weight. He's currently in his 12th NBA season. His measurements? 6'10" and 225 pounds.

Some players don't have the frame to accomodate additional weight. McFadden's legs are skinny. This isn't something that can be corrected by a few reps on the leg press machine for the same reason Randy Moss will never be built like Terrell Owens. One guy is naturally thin. One guy is naturally big. The weights don't make the man.

You want your RBs built like this:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/stewart..._rice-getty.jpg

Not this:

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provide...hoto_id=2347676

McFadden may very well become a stud in the NFL, but it won't be because he hits the weights and becomes Steven Jackson overnight. What you see right now is probably more or less what you're going to get at the next level in terms of body type and playing style.
Are you looking for more 'shapely' legs, or are your really just concerned about strength? If so your argument simply does not hold water, especially when we are talking about an elite athlete.I will give you an example: me. I was about 30 and had a relatively skinny frame when I started playing competitive beach volleyball in Cali. I worked out - sport and gym. I have never had big bulk, but in the end my legs were stronger (both functionally and gym-wise) than most men. Now you tell me, if a schmuck off the street can do it, how the hell do you put such limitations on a genetically gifted world-class athlete who's livelihood depends upon it?

I think you and others are trying to hard. The more you disparage the strength factor, the more I am convinced McFadden will end up as a top 3 running back.
There's a big difference between grabbing a guy off the street and grabbing a guy off a division one strength and conditioning program. Your average joe has much more room for improvement because he hasn't been working out at all. Arkansas is a big time football program. I'd imagine McFadden is already pretty familiar with the weight room. He's probably close to his strength cap. I stand by my argument that what you see is what you get. By and large, the running style you see from an elite college RB will be the same running style he'll have in the NFL. McFadden doesn't break many tackles in college which tells me he probably won't break many tackles in the NFL. People saying otherwise are trying to make him out to be something he's not. He's a speed back. If he succeeds in the NFL, it will be because of his speed and acceleration.

All the stuff about adding weight or filling out his frame is nonsense, IMO. Most players just don't get that much bigger after entering the league. Look at the recent early entry first round RBs: ADP, Lynch, Bush, Maroney, Cadillac, Ronnie, Benson, KJ, and Jackson. Those guys were essentially finished products the day they were drafted. Most of them were already at their weight and strength cap. Why is McFadden somehow exempt from this trend? Just because he's a bit younger? I don't buy that. He's a grown man. His body isn't going to change radically.
:goodposting: McFadden has definitely been lifting weights for years now - all throughout high school and college. Everybody has a genetic cap and he's most likely close to reaching his, which is why the notion that he will get significantly stronger once he reaches the pros is probably a false one. I mean, powerhouse college football programs are going to have pretty sophisticated weight training programs; I don't think the difference between the weight training program at a top football college and one in the NFL is going to be like night and day like a previous poster said. Don't a lot of pros return to their alma maters to train in the offseason, with former Miami Hurricanes being an example? The facilities at these colleges are going to be top-notch. Additionally, at a top football college, the emphasis of the college as a whole is probably going to be on the football program, which means that budget for the football program will be pretty high. As for classes and tests? I know this is being cynical, but I'd imagine that a high draft pick like McFadden probably had a ton of leeway with academics and didn't have to worry about them, since he's essentially the face of not just Arkansas football but the entire university as well. The school would want to make sure that he plays. Whew. To summarize, I think it's reasonable to infer that McFadden has been engaged in very intense weight training for awhile, thus making it likely that he's close to reaching his cap in terms of strength. If he wasn't blowing people up like ADP in college, how is he going to do that in the NFL? He has a LOT of ground to make up in the strength department.
You lost me at concluding that a 20 year old kid has likely close to his cap in terms of strength because he has been lifting weights for a while.
It's not simply "lifting weights for awhile." He has spent three years lifting in likely an extremely high-class weight training program, which is LOT of work in itself, not to mention the lifting that he did in high school. Just the three years at Arkansas should have had a huge impact. He's been heavily involved in intense training for a pretty long period of time now, so it's not that outrageous to assume that he's nearing his strength cap. There's only so much you can do before you start to plateau.

The notion that he's going to pack on a lot of lower body bulk seems pretty misguided. A thin frame is a thin frame and no amount of weight training can turn someone who's naturally slender into someone who's stocky. Since I'm a Golden State Warriors fan, I'll use the example of Joe Smith. He came into the NBA at 6'10" 225 pounds. The analysts said he'd be a great low post player if he could just gain some weight. He's currently in his 12th NBA season. His measurements? 6'10" and 225 pounds.

Some players don't have the frame to accomodate additional weight. McFadden's legs are skinny. This isn't something that can be corrected by a few reps on the leg press machine for the same reason Randy Moss will never be built like Terrell Owens. One guy is naturally thin. One guy is naturally big. The weights don't make the man.

Not this:

McFadden may very well become a stud in the NFL, but it won't be because he hits the weights and becomes Steven Jackson overnight. What you see right now is probably more or less what you're going to get at the next level in terms of body type and playing style.
Are you looking for more 'shapely' legs, or are your really just concerned about strength? If so your argument simply does not hold water, especially when we are talking about an elite athlete.I will give you an example: me. I was about 30 and had a relatively skinny frame when I started playing competitive beach volleyball in Cali. I worked out - sport and gym. I have never had big bulk, but in the end my legs were stronger (both functionally and gym-wise) than most men. Now you tell me, if a schmuck off the street can do it, how the hell do you put such limitations on a genetically gifted world-class athlete who's livelihood depends upon it?

I think you and others are trying to hard. The more you disparage the strength factor, the more I am convinced McFadden will end up as a top 3 running back.
There's a big difference between grabbing a guy off the street and grabbing a guy off a division one strength and conditioning program. Your average joe has much more room for improvement because he hasn't been working out at all. Arkansas is a big time football program. I'd imagine McFadden is already pretty familiar with the weight room. He's probably close to his strength cap. I stand by my argument that what you see is what you get. By and large, the running style you see from an elite college RB will be the same running style he'll have in the NFL. McFadden doesn't break many tackles in college which tells me he probably won't break many tackles in the NFL. People saying otherwise are trying to make him out to be something he's not. He's a speed back. If he succeeds in the NFL, it will be because of his speed and acceleration.

All the stuff about adding weight or filling out his frame is nonsense, IMO. Most players just don't get that much bigger after entering the league. Look at the recent early entry first round RBs: ADP, Lynch, Bush, Maroney, Cadillac, Ronnie, Benson, KJ, and Jackson. Those guys were essentially finished products the day they were drafted. Most of them were already at their weight and strength cap. Why is McFadden somehow exempt from this trend? Just because he's a bit younger? I don't buy that. He's a grown man. His body isn't going to change radically.
;) McFadden has definitely been lifting weights for years now - all throughout high school and college. Everybody has a genetic cap and he's most likely close to reaching his, which is why the notion that he will get significantly stronger once he reaches the pros is probably a false one. I mean, powerhouse college football programs are going to have pretty sophisticated weight training programs; I don't think the difference between the weight training program at a top football college and one in the NFL is going to be like night and day like a previous poster said. Don't a lot of pros return to their alma maters to train in the offseason, with former Miami Hurricanes being an example? The facilities at these colleges are going to be top-notch. Additionally, at a top football college, the emphasis of the college as a whole is probably going to be on the football program, which means that budget for the football program will be pretty high. As for classes and tests? I know this is being cynical, but I'd imagine that a high draft pick like McFadden probably had a ton of leeway with academics and didn't have to worry about them, since he's essentially the face of not just Arkansas football but the entire university as well. The school would want to make sure that he plays. Whew. To summarize, I think it's reasonable to infer that McFadden has been engaged in very intense weight training for awhile, thus making it likely that he's close to reaching his cap in terms of strength. If he wasn't blowing people up like ADP in college, how is he going to do that in the NFL? He has a LOT of ground to make up in the strength department.
You lost me at concluding that a 20 year old kid has likely close to his cap in terms of strength because he has been lifting weights for a while.
It's not simply "lifting weights for awhile." He has spent three years lifting in likely an extremely high-class weight training program, which is LOT of work in itself, not to mention the lifting that he did in high school. Just the three years at Arkansas should have had a huge impact. He's been heavily involved in intense training for a pretty long period of time now, so it's not that outrageous to assume that he's nearing his strength cap. There's only so much you can do before you start to plateau.
You think a person plateaus physically at the age of 20? :confused: Just a guess, but you havnt spent much time in a gym?

Not many RBs completely transform their game when they hit the pro ranks. In fact, does it ever happen? Doubt it.
Completely not the point of this thread, but when I read this comment Kevin Jones immediately came to mind. In college he was an outside speed guy, and in the pros became a tough pounding type of runner.In college he was around 5'10" 207lbs and in the pros was 5'10" 225lbs. Lets leave the KJ bashing out of this, but for sake of argument it can happen to a highly drafted RB. (not often I agree, but possible)
He was at least 220 by the time he entered the league. It shocked everyone when he ran in the high 4.5 range in his workouts. But the transition from speed back to power back happened over the course of his three college seasons.Here he is in his freshman season:

http://www.hokiesports.com/SIPhotos/fb2002...xas/d.jones.jpg

You can see that the thick frame was already there.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for McFadden, I find it odd that so many of his supporters are assuming that he'll gain 10-15 pounds. Are you also assuming that about Stewart, Mendenhall, and Rice? What makes McFadden the exception?

The reality is that it's a FRAME problem. Weight lifting cannot change your bone structure or the way your body carries its muscles.

While the example below doesnt have much lateral quickness, and i doubt he would break many tackles, with his accelaration and speed, and assuming he had Mcfaddens vision, he would score almost every time he touched the ball. Athough fumbling might be an issue.

Also, take note of how skinny his legs are.

Burning Sensation said:
HHZ2000 said:
Avery said:
HHZ2000 said:
EBF said:
alg said:
EBF said:

Not this:

:thumbup: McFadden has definitely been lifting weights for years now - all throughout high school and college. Everybody has a genetic cap and he's most likely close to reaching his, which is why the notion that he will get significantly stronger once he reaches the pros is probably a false one. I mean, powerhouse college football programs are going to have pretty sophisticated weight training programs; I don't think the difference between the weight training program at a top football college and one in the NFL is going to be like night and day like a previous poster said. Don't a lot of pros return to their alma maters to train in the offseason, with former Miami Hurricanes being an example? The facilities at these colleges are going to be top-notch. Additionally, at a top football college, the emphasis of the college as a whole is probably going to be on the football program, which means that budget for the football program will be pretty high. As for classes and tests? I know this is being cynical, but I'd imagine that a high draft pick like McFadden probably had a ton of leeway with academics and didn't have to worry about them, since he's essentially the face of not just Arkansas football but the entire university as well. The school would want to make sure that he plays. Whew. To summarize, I think it's reasonable to infer that McFadden has been engaged in very intense weight training for awhile, thus making it likely that he's close to reaching his cap in terms of strength. If he wasn't blowing people up like ADP in college, how is he going to do that in the NFL? He has a LOT of ground to make up in the strength department.
You think a person plateaus physically at the age of 20? :excited: Just a guess, but you havnt spent much time in a gym?
I did the 100 meter dash for track my sophomore, junior and senior years in high school, was a wideout for my junior and senior years and right now I'm running track as a freshman in college, so I've definitely put in my hours in the weight room. It's DIII and I'm nothing special, but this is exactly why I'm saying that there's only so much you can do before you plateau. I mean, I'm 18 right now and my squat is already starting plateau a little. Sure, a person can plateau physically at age 20 if they've been working out intensely for the past couple of years. The workload you've done is just as important as your age. Is your body really going to change drastically from age 20 to 22? Not really. There's a huge jump from, say, middle school to high school, but really, a person can peak at age 20 if they've been working a lot. Everybody has a genetic cap, right? The cap is not going to go up much from age 20 to like age 24, if at all.

As for McFadden, I find it odd that so many of his supporters are assuming that he'll gain 10-15 pounds. Are you also assuming that about Stewart, Mendenhall, and Rice? What makes McFadden the exception? The reality is that it's a FRAME problem. Weight lifting cannot change your bone structure or the way your body carries its muscles.
Every person puts on weight as you get older.EBF, you know players. But fall short on body type.McFadden=Dickerson and will put on weight, were His legs.You want Stewart to put on Weight, if He does. Well I won't say what He will become again.But it is the reason I'm not high on Stewart.So to sum it up. McFadden body going into the Pro's is equal toDickerson and All Day. I think He could be has good has Dickerson.Yes that good. I ask you this question and others on here.Were did you rank Jones-Drew two YEARS ago? Too small correct?

I did the 100 meter dash for track my sophomore, junior and senior years in high school, was a wideout for my junior and senior years and right now I'm running track as a freshman in college, so I've definitely put in my hours in the weight room. It's DIII and I'm nothing special, but this is exactly why I'm saying that there's only so much you can do before you plateau. I mean, I'm 18 right now and my squat is already starting plateau a little. Sure, a person can plateau physically at age 20 if they've been working out intensely for the past couple of years. The workload you've done is just as important as your age. Is your body really going to change drastically from age 20 to 22? Not really. There's a huge jump from, say, middle school to high school, but really, a person can peak at age 20 if they've been working a lot. Everybody has a genetic cap, right? The cap is not going to go up much from age 20 to like age 24, if at all.
I haven't really gotten into this angle yet, but... I started weight training when I was 15, I was 160Lbs. When I was 18, I weighed 180. When I was 25, I was 187. Not too much weight put on in those 7 years, would you say I hit a plateau and wasn't going to put on weight?. Well, now I weigh 205. So to say that you stop growing at a certain point, or can't build more muscle after a certain age is bunk. Everyone's body changes happen at different ages.Plus, NFL athletes nutrition program is totally different from college athletes, simply due to expenses.To say McFadden has peaked is ignorant.Oh, I'm also 6'2... at 187 I was strong, but most people thought I was skinny.

EBF said:
cstu said:
EBF said:

Not this:

All the RB's you like, they weren't born that way and spent a lot of time in the gym. Even if some people are genetically predisposed to be stockier, there are methods to increasing strength and muscle mass.
You don't think Arkansas has a strength and conditioning program? It's beside the point really. McFadden does not have a stocky body type. It has nothing to do with weight training. It's a matter of genetics more than anything. Think about some of the people you know in your everyday life and think about how many of them radically transformed their bodies through weightlifting. I suspect it's a small number. Thick people will always be thick. Skinny people will always be skinny. Randy Moss will never be Terrell Owens. It has nothing to do with work ethic and everything to do with genetics. If everyone could get huge then every WR in the NFL would be built like TO or Boldin. Obviously it doesn't work that way.

McFadden may gain 5-10 pounds over the next 5-6 years, but he will never be a bruising runner. I don't care if people are high on his prospects, but using the "he's going to gain weight and become a power runner" argument as justification is weak. Like I said, what you see is probably what you get in terms of playing style and body type. Not many RBs completely transform their game when they hit the pro ranks. In fact, does it ever happen? Doubt it.
I read somewhere, can't remember where, sorry! That his playing weight was 218 and he lost weight to run a faster time at the combine. Is there any truth to that? Can anyone confirm?

To me it comes down to 3 things

#1 system

#2 oppertunity

#3 and the one i want to discuss.... Shelf life.

How many guys did Mcfadden see in college that could really put in on him?And how often did it actually happen? WE have 4.4 LB"S in the NFL Becouse in the NFL ever week there are guys who can lay the lumber on you.

Here is my point when picking a RB..Is he a BULKED UP LITTLE MAN or is he a TRAINED down BIG MAN???

McFadden to me is a bulked up little guy(not talking about height)STEWART is a trained down big man.

So who carries the load in the NFL and who is spot duty or in a RBBC.

Now looking at production and not injuries.

Example#1

K.Jones vs S.Jackson... KJ bulked up little guy SJ trained down big man...SJ better production.

Example #2

CADDY vs R.Brown...CADDY bulked up little guy RB trained down big man...yes both hurt but caddy had 3/4 good games and ronnie looked like the much better long term option.

Reggie bush also a bulked up little guy.

What it looks like to me the bulked up little guys have better college carriers.. (becouse there faster and can get away from defenders= take less hits)they also have more flash and draw more attention at the college level. Everyone is fast at the NFL level...

BUT the geneticly bigger...little slower guys make a better transition to the nfl level becouse they have the structure to absorb the beating.as long as they have good hips and good field vision this seems to translate to better fit a NFL RB.

CAN Mcfadden sustain a 16 week NFL beating??I don't think so. He reminds me of the guys who walk around the gym flexing there arms in the mirror but have sticks for legs becouse working legs it to much work.NOW i'm NOT saying he does not work legs but man for the upper body development the legs are not there. He has a 230-240lb mans upper body and a 180 mans lower body.He has a over developed neck which tells me the boy does a lot of eather deadlifts.. heavy shrugs or cleans..Matybe he did not do much legs for fear of losing some of that speed/explosion.Now I have no idea but thats what i see looking at the guy...Built like a TOP.Very high center of gravity...

SO to sum this up when picking a guy you are playing the odds and i don't think McFadden gives you the best odds to me there are others who are a safer bet......Later boys

Looking at just height and weight to figure out whose frame is NFL ready is like flying

strictly on instruments. As always, the answer emerges when you watch a guy play. McFadden's legs have been talked about as much as Jessica Alba's, but the way they look is not nearly as important as the effect they achieve, or in this case, don't achieve. McFadden just doesn't generate drive - he's not a pile pusher. It's not just his skinny legs, it's his narrow hips (for an RB). In general, he has a WR frame. Now, that could be a good thing if he gets some good WR training and splits out wide on some plays (talk about matchup nightmares). If he strictly stays at RB, no amount of weight training with change his frame, and it could actually hurt if he loses that exceptional burst and fifth gear. Most teams will have a better pile pusher, and it will cut into McFadden's touches, maybe even *gasp* at the goal line.

All that being said, McFadden's initial burst and long speed are once every few years kind of stuff, and it makes him one of those players who could defy conventional wisdom.

Looking at just height and weight to figure out whose frame is NFL ready is like flyingstrictly on instruments. As always, the answer emerges when you watch a guy play. McFadden's legs have been talked about as much as Jessica Alba's, but the way they look is not nearly as important as the effect they achieve, or in this case, don't achieve. McFadden just doesn't generate drive - he's not a pile pusher. It's not just his skinny legs, it's his narrow hips (for an RB). In general, he has a WR frame. Now, that could be a good thing if he gets some good WR training and splits out wide on some plays (talk about matchup nightmares). If he strictly stays at RB, no amount of weight training with change his frame, and it could actually hurt if he loses that exceptional burst and fifth gear. Most teams will have a better pile pusher, and it will cut into McFadden's touches, maybe even *gasp* at the goal line.All that being said, McFadden's initial burst and long speed are once every few years kind of stuff, and it makes him one of those players who could defy conventional wisdom.
Forgot that one 'pile pusher' sorry.Ok. In side the 5 yard line. Stewart and McFadden. Anyone have the stats?You want to throw Mendenhall in the mix fine by me.

Looking at just height and weight to figure out whose frame is NFL ready is like flyingstrictly on instruments. As always, the answer emerges when you watch a guy play. McFadden's legs have been talked about as much as Jessica Alba's, but the way they look is not nearly as important as the effect they achieve, or in this case, don't achieve. McFadden just doesn't generate drive - he's not a pile pusher. It's not just his skinny legs, it's his narrow hips (for an RB). In general, he has a WR frame. Now, that could be a good thing if he gets some good WR training and splits out wide on some plays (talk about matchup nightmares). If he strictly stays at RB, no amount of weight training with change his frame, and it could actually hurt if he loses that exceptional burst and fifth gear. Most teams will have a better pile pusher, and it will cut into McFadden's touches, maybe even *gasp* at the goal line.All that being said, McFadden's initial burst and long speed are once every few years kind of stuff, and it makes him one of those players who could defy conventional wisdom.
Forgot that one 'pile pusher' sorry.Ok. In side the 5 yard line. Stewart and McFadden. Anyone have the stats?You want to throw Mendenhall in the mix fine by me.
Inside the 5 yard line, in the NFL, currently Stewart, Mendenhall, and McFadden are all sitting at 0 yards on 0 attempts with 0 TDs. Compare redzone production all you want in college, probably not a sure-fire measure of the transition to red-zone inthe NFL. You know, just a hunch.

Inside the 5 yard line, in the NFL, currently Stewart, Mendenhall, and McFadden are all sitting at 0 yards on 0 attempts with 0 TDs. Compare redzone production all you want in college, probably not a sure-fire measure of the transition to red-zone inthe NFL. You know, just a hunch.
Thanks for adding so much.But funny how every time I post, you happen to be reading what I write.So I ask you, how do you have the top 3 ranked?Just a hunch you have McFadden 1st, Mendenhall 2nd and Stewart 3rd.

Thanks for adding so much.But funny how every time I post, you happen to be reading what I write.So I ask you, how do you have the top 3 ranked?Just a hunch you have McFadden 1st, Mendenhall 2nd and Stewart 3rd.
Not that I spend my time checking who I respond to, beyond the text itself but I am pretty sure this is the first time I have ever responded to a post by you. I can, however, be baited into a debate quite easily... so. I have them ranked Mendenhall, McFadden, Stewart. Stewart I don't really have the love for which is why McFadden is ranked higher. For the record I didn't buy into the Reggie Bush hype but did buy into the Norwood mini-hype and snagged him at as a late 1st a few years ago... yeah. I don't proclaim to be an expert but the thought of drafting McFadden tickles my gut like the thought of drafting Reggie Bush did. Take that as you may. Based on situation, if Ray Rice goes to Houston, he would be my second ranked back regardless of McFaddens situation.

Not that I spend my time checking who I respond to, beyond the text itself but I am pretty sure this is the first time I have ever responded to a post by you. I can, however, be baited into a debate quite easily... so. I have them ranked Mendenhall, McFadden, Stewart. Stewart I don't really have the love for which is why McFadden is ranked higher. For the record I didn't buy into the Reggie Bush hype but did buy into the Norwood mini-hype and snagged him at as a late 1st a few years ago... yeah. I don't proclaim to be an expert but the thought of drafting McFadden tickles my gut like the thought of drafting Reggie Bush did. Take that as you may. Based on situation, if Ray Rice goes to Houston, he would be my second ranked back regardless of McFaddens situation.
Yep, a Wise Man once told me'Read,listen and learn'.You read my post about Stewart not making it in the NFL.You listen to why Stewart won't make it.You learned from the Best(In my League anyways). I'm sure some are better here.Thats why I was sure you had Stewart at #3. :thumbup: Give me time, before long you have McFadden as the second coming.That will be easy compaired to Stewart. :popcorn:

This has certainly been an interesting thread. First off, I have the 1.01 draft slot for winning our "Toliet Bowl" championship, so I am keenly interested in him. Last year, I traded up to get the 1.01 and selected Adrian Peterson (Keeper league). Never doubted the pick once I got it. Now I have it again, and I have lots of doubts.

I would like to add my view on a few things regarding D McFadden.

* McFadden played in probably the toughest NCAA football conference, the SEC.

* He faced 8-9 man box every play.

* He had a quality compliment RB (Felix Jones)

* Many of his toughest individual defenders will be hearing their name called out the same day as his at the NFL Draft.

* There were 6 teams in the SEC who allowed over 156 ypg, 4.1+ ypc, and over 2000 yards on the ground

- Miss St, South Carolina, Kentucky, Arkansas, Tenn, Ole Miss

* He has had several "Off-Field" concerns: attributed to lack of maturity or situational concerns (wrong place, wrong time).

* Runs high (ala Chris Brown) which could result in potential injury issues

* Ran mostly "outside" but limited footage of inside running

* Only 20 years of age (maturity a concern, ala Maurice Clarett or PacMan Jones?)

* Great initial burst of speed, but limited vision and uncertain running thru tackle ability

* Potential draft slot of NY Jets - shared backfield with Thomas Jones

I do not believe most of this "Peak" strength discussion and his plateau body limitations. He is still a young man and has not yet stopped physically growing. He has yet to prove his ability at the next level. That's what this is all about - what happens at the next level.

My view: He will be an occassional value, but limited by injuries and development gaps. He will have a few games of solid production, but nothing HOF caliber. How he responds to the challenges of the NFL will tell alot of his character and his mentality. What he chooses to do with it will determine how far his physical talent will take him.

Where he lands and his off-season will determine if he is my 1.01 pick. I have until August to decide. Time is on my side here, but there are alot of questions yet to be answered!

I also see the potential of J Stewart being the better long term prospect.

I liked the potential of J Norwood & DeA Williams also, but the jury is still out on them.

FWIW:

It sounds like McFadden didn't do squats until after his time at Arkansas.

Conley and his crew, including Greengross and trainer Lance Walker, said those concerns should be turned around to advantages."People don't understand, Darren is still developing," said Conley, a 1992 Olympic gold medalist in the triple jump. "He's only 20 now. He's going to get stronger."

Evidence of that is the 10-foot, 8-inch mark McFadden posted in the broad jump, Conley noted. It was second among the running backs but is an indication of how powerful McFadden's legs are. Some of that development was held back during his three years at Arkansas because of a knee injury he suffered in high school, Walker said. "He wasn't able to do squats in weightlifting until we got him," Walker said. "He had a knee injury in high school and the strength coaches at Arkansas didn't want to risk him doing squats while he was there. They have a great program there, but their goal is to make sure they get him on the field while he's there."

Walker said he showed McFadden how to do squats while they were training in McKinney, Texas, where McFadden also works with former Olympic sprinter Michael Johnson. Within a few minutes of learning how to do it, McFadden was doing reps with 315 pounds.
EDIT: to add LINK

One said:
FWIW:

Conley and his crew, including Greengross and trainer Lance Walker, said those concerns should be turned around to advantages."People don't understand, Darren is still developing," said Conley, a 1992 Olympic gold medalist in the triple jump. "He's only 20 now. He's going to get stronger."

Evidence of that is the 10-foot, 8-inch mark McFadden posted in the broad jump, Conley noted. It was second among the running backs but is an indication of how powerful McFadden's legs are. Some of that development was held back during his three years at Arkansas because of a knee injury he suffered in high school, Walker said. "He wasn't able to do squats in weightlifting until we got him," Walker said. "He had a knee injury in high school and the strength coaches at Arkansas didn't want to risk him doing squats while he was there.

They have a great program there, but their goal is to make sure they get him on the field while he's there."

Walker said he showed McFadden how to do squats while they were training in McKinney, Texas, where McFadden also works with former Olympic sprinter Michael Johnson. Within a few minutes of learning how to do it, McFadden was doing reps with 315 pounds.
:goodposting: This reaffirms the feeling I've had about McFadden all along - that he just wasn't getting enough lower body work at ARK. He's still #1 on my board and probably the only thing that will change that is if Mendenhall or Stewart go to the Broncos.

One said:
FWIW:

Evidence of that is the 10-foot, 8-inch mark McFadden posted in the broad jump, Conley noted. It was second among the running backs but is an indication of how powerful McFadden's legs are. Some of that development was held back during his three years at Arkansas because of a knee injury he suffered in high school, Walker said. "He wasn't able to do squats in weightlifting until we got him," Walker said. "He had a knee injury in high school and the strength coaches at Arkansas didn't want to risk him doing squats while he was there.

They have a great program there, but their goal is to make sure they get him on the field while he's there."

:lol: This reaffirms the feeling I've had about McFadden all along - that he just wasn't getting enough lower body work at ARK. He's still #1 on my board and probably the only thing that will change that is if Mendenhall or Stewart go to the Broncos.
I'm with you. But everyone else knows more. :bag: McFadden is 20 years old, tall and skinny legs.

Trainer in the NFL will have him put 10-15 lbs on easy.

211- turns into 221-226 could even get to 230.

BMI score with McFadden at 225lbs is? Anyone?

As we inch closer to the draft, and the draft's top picks begin to somewhat take shape, there is a growing possibility that McFadden may still be on the board when New England picks at 7. And it tempts me to ask the question that Ive been hesitant to entertain until very recently. What are the chances the Pats throw conventional wisdom and everything weve grown to learn about their draft history out the window and actually take McFadden if he's still on the board at 7?? I cant believe Im actually entertaining the possibility, but mixing McFadden into this O, with Moss and Maroney and Welker, Brady etc., just gets the mind spinning. Very unlikely, we know. But still, interesting thought to consider.

Portis too. Same thing, speed guy who got a lot bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread