What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (1 Viewer)

FUBAR said:
It also shows potential free agents or their own players that the team won't work with you if you're unhappy with how they treated you.
If that's more important than the pick or players they could get in a trade, have at it.
By "treated you" you're referring to forcing him to accept $13M (tops for his position) under the contract he signed and has 3 years remaining, and not trading away a generational talent for a bag of potato chips?
The only way this situation hurts them with free agents if he they do what some have suggested and cut him right before the season to be vindictive.
Even then, that's exactly what KC did to Flowers last season and Dyvon Branch signed a sweetheart team friendly one year deal with the team. I think every team in the NFL has had contract disputes and nobody really cares afterward, all they care about is their deal with the team. This "bad reputation" theory doesn't play out in real life imo.

Or closer to home remember when Gates missing a game for showing up late on a flight to sign a contract based on bad advice by his agent? It was going to poison the relationship between the Chargers and Gates and he would NEVER sign a long term extension after that! Nobody remember or cares. Sometimes not even the player that was "wronged" themselves.

I wouldn't doubt that the Vikings are waiting for the draft to see who is there at a particular time before they pull the trigger on a trade that involves draft picks...

Even then, that's exactly what KC did to Flowers last season and Dyvon Branch signed a sweetheart team friendly one year deal with the team. I think every team in the NFL has had contract disputes and nobody really cares afterward, all they care about is their deal with the team. This "bad reputation" theory doesn't play out in real life imo.
KC released Flowers in June (like happens to a lot of players), Vikings fans are talking about releasing Peterson a week before the season.

Vikings fans are talking about releasing Peterson a week before the season.
what kind of sense does that make?

fans talk about all kinds of nonsense

KC released Flowers in June (like happens to a lot of players), Vikings fans are talking about releasing Peterson a week before the season.
Anyone that thinks the Vikings would just outright release him are :loco: :crazy:

Anyone that thinks the Vikings would just outright release him are :loco: :crazy:
What would you do if he's a malcontent throughout the summer, won't retire, could become a locker room problem, and no team is willing to trade for him?

That's the only scenario I can see cutting him, and that might not happen for a long time.

If betting, I'd place money on this either being sorted out or him being traded on draft day. But I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

It will be interesting to see how the Vikings handle things if/when AP doesn't report to camp.

I imagine like in most contracts, they have the power to fine him for missed days. It seems obvious that if the Vikes try to enforce those fines, then it'll just drive a bigger wedge between the sides.

Ok, that's an interesting way to put it. Are you saying that if he doesn't honor his contract, they are driving the wedge?

What would you do if he's a malcontent throughout the summer, won't retire, could become a locker room problem, and no team is willing to trade for him?

That's the only scenario I can see cutting him, and that might not happen for a long time.

If betting, I'd place money on this either being sorted out or him being traded on draft day. But I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.
Or they could, you know, give him 25 carries every Sunday. Thats what I'd do. And that's been Zimmer's stance since day one. Malcontent schmalcontent. Give him the rock and win games. If he refuses to play, he's breaching his contract and he won't be paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or they could, you know, give him 25 carries every Sunday. Thats what I'd do. And that's been Zimmer's stance since day one. Malcontent schmalcontent. Give him the rock and win games. If he refuses to play, he's breaching his contract and he won't be paid.
I hope that's not what your whole plan is contingent on

Ok, that's an interesting way to put it. Are you saying that if he doesn't honor his contract, they are driving the wedge?
I thought I was being pretty clear. If the Vikings attempt to enforce fines against AP, that will make him even angrier at the org, and make the potential for a reconciliation that much more difficult.

Guys hold out all the time, and accrue fines along the way. My understanding is, once the holdout ends, the fines are usually dropped by the team.

Sure, what could go wrong?

other than not winning with an upset superstar who's grossly overpaid for what he'd provide.

Sure, what could go wrong?

other than not winning with an upset superstar who's grossly overpaid for what he'd provide.
Do you think the 2015 Vikings would win more games with Peterson, or more games without Peterson?

Do you think the 2015 Vikings would win more games with Peterson, or more games without Peterson?
a motivated AD? More and possibly win the division. AD who doesn't want to be there? They don't lose any more if they roll with McKinnon and Asiata.

it doesnt matter what peterson wants the vikings own his rights.

it doesnt matter what the fans want the vikings own his rights.

it doesnt matter what reporters want the vikings own his rights.

keep saying it to yourself and then you will start to realize peterson is under a contract and the only people and what they want to matter are the vikings and they say they are not trading him and they have the room to keep him. fantasy football hope drives a lot of these conversations. it drives so much influence that Schefter and Rappaport report things on a fantasy speculative more time then not much like the brees trade rumors.

all this and the cowboys have no cap room to make it possible but he is gonna take a few mil or so less just to play in dallas? but your telling me fantasy hype and speculation isnt driving a thought of a man playing for a few mil less.
Except there have already been many "leaked" reports that ADP is willing to take less to play elsewhere..

As for the Vikings saying they won't trade him.. :confused:

I've seen plenty of "We want him to play here" and "we will welcome him back".. But unless I missed the Article I've never seen them say straight out "We won't trade Peterson no matter what".

If a team offers the Vikings what they feel is the right price they won't have 2nd thoughts about it.
you missed one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000484082/article/peterson-highly-unlikely-to-face-further-suspension?campaign=twitter_atn

here is the part I notice.

"Peterson wants to have a completely clean slate by the draft," Rapoport said. "His point: The Minnesota Vikings have held strong in saying they do not plan on trading Adrian Peterson. They believe he will play for them in 2015. In fact, they want him to play for either them or no one else."

keep saying it to yourself and then you will start to realize peterson is under a contract and the only people and what they want to matter are the vikings and they say they are not trading him and they have the room to keep him. fantasy football hope drives a lot of these conversations. it drives so much influence that Schefter and Rappaport report things on a fantasy speculative more time then not much like the brees trade rumors.

all this and the cowboys have no cap room to make it possible but he is gonna take a few mil or so less just to play in dallas? but your telling me fantasy hype and speculation isnt driving a thought of a man playing for a few mil less.
Except there have already been many "leaked" reports that ADP is willing to take less to play elsewhere..

I've seen plenty of "We want him to play here" and "we will welcome him back".. But unless I missed the Article I've never seen them say straight out "We won't trade Peterson no matter what".

If a team offers the Vikings what they feel is the right price they won't have 2nd thoughts about it.
you missed one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000484082/article/peterson-highly-unlikely-to-face-further-suspension?campaign=twitter_atn

"Peterson wants to have a completely clean slate by the draft," Rapoport said. "His point: The Minnesota Vikings have held strong in saying they do not plan on trading Adrian Peterson. They believe he will play for them in 2015. In fact, they want him to play for either them or no one else."
I'm not sure why people are having such a hard time comprehending the Vikings stance. They haven't waivered at all.

you missed one.

Big difference between saying "We don't PLAN on trading him" and "We will NOT trade him" like you stated in your post..

and of course they WANT him to play for them.. But the "Or no one else" is ludicrous. :rolleyes:

If it came down to paying him 12 Million to sit on the sidelines, or trading him to another team, what do you think they would do??

Do you honestly think that he'd receive his money if he refused to play on game day? People are living in fantasy land.

you missed one.

Big difference between saying "We don't PLAN on trading him" and "We will NOT trade him" like you stated in your post..

and of course they WANT him to play for them.. But the "Or no one else" is ludicrous. :rolleyes:

If it came down to paying him 12 Million to sit on the sidelines, or trading him to another team, what do you think they would do??
Why would they have to pay him 12 million to sit on the sidelines? Sketch out that scenario for me.

you missed one.

now your splitting hairs to back track i understand and i did not mean to prove you wrong i just shared the article you claimed to miss that totally debunked your theory and i cant tell you what i think the vikings would do because i already know since as posted above they wont pay him if he retires or holds out.

Do you honestly think that he'd receive his money if he refused to play on game day? People are living in fantasy land.
No way he doesn't play opening day.. It's just a matter of where he'll play..

My argument was with the wording of "The Vikings will NOT trade him" ... which is false..

If they decide it is not worth the headache of having a malcontent player on the squad( if that is truly how he feels which is a :shrug: right now) AND they can get what they feel is the right price for him, they would trade him.

To say the Vikings will NOT trade him is beyond :loco: ..

There are very few players in the NFL that teams would consider NOT trade-able.. Sadly ADP is not one of them any more.

you missed one.

Why would they have to pay him 12 million to sit on the sidelines? Sketch out that scenario for me.
My bad..

What I should have typed is "If it came down to paying 12 Million for a malcontent player who may cause issues, or trading him to another team, what do you think they would do?

My whole point, which was VERY badly fumbled :bag: was..

There are very few players in the NFL now days that are not trade-able and ADP is not one of them any more.

My argument was with the wording of "The Vikings will NOT trade him" ... which is false..

If they decide it is not worth the headache of having a malcontent player on the squad( if that is truly how he feels which is a :shrug: right now) AND they can get what they feel is the right price for him, they would trade him.

There are very few players in the NFL that teams would consider NOT trade-able.. Sadly ADP is not one of them any more.
all is just your opinion that you are entitled to and is hardly anything that is fact and if i am listening to anyones opinion it is the people in the circles of the team and situation and not a fan who hopes for the best scenario.

while he could be traded just like anyone i just dont see a team setting precedent like this. a team giving in to a player who feels he was wronged or mistreated by a team after he did something disgraceful.

:shrug: we can keep going in circles here and I think we agree on the most likely scenario.

But the "there is no way..." remains to be seen. He's unhappy again with the NFL's response this week, he isn't happy with the Vikings. Now, $13 million has a way of making people happy, but this drama isn't over from his stance.

How many GMs mislead when it comes to future moves?

:shrug: we can keep going in circles here and I think we agree on the most likely scenario.

But the "there is no way..." remains to be seen. He's unhappy again with the NFL's response this week, he isn't happy with the Vikings. Now, $13 million has a way of making people happy, but this drama isn't over from his stance.

If ADP and his agent push for a trade AND If the Jaguars, who do have the cap space, made a trade offer they felt was "fair" then I could see it happening.

Otherwise to go to a team like Dallas or Arizona, ADP and his agent will have to work on a ;) deal to agree to rework his contract for the trade to happen.. Even then I'm not sure either of those teams would give up their first round pick for ADP, and I can't see the Vikings accepting a 2nd round pick for him..

My feelings are that due to his age, and the money he is owed, there is a 75% chance he will be playing for the Vikings this year or retiring. and I don't see him just hanging up his cleats.

If ADP and his agent push for a trade AND If the Jaguars, who do have the cap space, made a trade offer they felt was "fair" then I could see it happening.

Otherwise to go to a team like Dallas or Arizona, ADP and his agent will have to work on a ;) deal to agree to rework his contract for the trade to happen.. Even then I'm not sure either of those teams would give up their first round pick for ADP, and I can't see the Vikings accepting a 2nd round pick for him..

My feelings are that due to his age, and the money he is owed, there is a 75% chance he will be playing for the Vikings this year or retiring. and I don't see him just hanging up his cleats.
dude the Vikings would be lucky to get a 4th rounder for a 30 year old RB owed that kind of money

No way they get a first or second rounder

That's probably the biggest area we disagree on. Just my opinion (and as a longtime Lions fan take it for what it's worth), the Vikings would be a better team over the long haul with an additional 2nd or prospect. They'd be better off with a corner like Alex Carter or LB like Perryman or Dawson for Peterson - unless he starts coming around to being a teammate.

i notice from a lot of these comments in favor of peterson seem to think these gms run their teams like a fantasy team.

how many teams are willing to mortgage an early pick for a 30 yo rb and a bad rep plus pay him 12+ million?

so

your theory is no team is willing to invest any picks in Peterson and his reply is to become an absolutely crappy teammate in hopes the vikes release him for being such a pain in the ### and some other team ignores all that and drops 13mil on him, makes him the face of their franchise, and he rides off into the sunset?

if he thinks that tactic will work he's a fool, and in the end of the day he has $13million dollars waiting and a legacy to maintain

i think there's no way he throws that all away to try and get out of minnesota...if he does great, let him trash what is left of his legacy

That's probably the biggest area we disagree on. Just my opinion (and as a longtime Lions fan take it for what it's worth), the Vikings would be a better team over the long haul with an additional 2nd or prospect. They'd be better off with a corner like Alex Carter or LB like Perryman or Dawson for Peterson - unless he starts coming around to being a teammate.
He will

once he sees his options are gone, if he is the player we think he is, his team, the money, and the game will take precedence over some perceived slight. We see that all the time....intense negotiations, finger pointing pouting....in the end the player almost always goes out there and gives his best. Those that don't are not held up as heroes, they are looked at with disdain

:shrug:

I could see the Vikings accepting say a 2nd round and other picks or a player that they deem "start-able"..

I just can't imagine a scenario where they would trade ADP straight up for a 2nd rounder..

Then again No one, not even Speilman himself, knows what he is thinking ;)

so

your theory is no team is willing to invest any picks in Peterson and his reply is to become an absolutely crappy teammate in hopes the vikes release him for being such a pain in the ### and some other team ignores all that and drops 13mil on him, makes him the face of their franchise, and he rides off into the sunset?

if he thinks that tactic will work he's a fool, and in the end of the day he has $13million dollars waiting and a legacy to maintain

i think there's no way he throws that all away to try and get out of minnesota...if he does great, let him trash what is left of his legacy
my theory? no. Pretty sure my last line made it clear that it isn't "my theory" but I'm not ruling it out either.

except the "some other team drops $13 Million on him" - that won't happen.

so

my theory? no. Pretty sure my last line made it clear that it isn't "my theory" but I'm not ruling it out either.

so the question is how much cash would Peterson, and his agent, be willing to give up?

i'm wagering very little, and all indications from his agent are very little.

Regardless, I have heard nor seen nothing on the field from Peterson that leads me to believe he would show up and not give 100%. Perhaps he simply does not report or retires. But if he shows up and tries to spread dissension to the point the team has to release him he will be damaging his football legacy, and there's nothing I have seen that indicates he has that sort of thing in him. Despite what anyone may think of him off the field he's been an absolute reliable professional on the field, I simply do not think he has it in him to do less.

Rotoworld:

SI's Peter King calls the Jaguars his "upset special" team that could trade for Adrian Peterson.
It's an obvious long shot, as King notes, but the Jaguars are still $32 million-plus under the cap and flirted with DeMarco Murray in free agency as they search for a foundation back. They weren't willing to meet Murray's $8 million-per-year asking price, so it's hard to see them trading a premium draft pick and paying Peterson's $12.75 million salary. The Jaguars aren't run by Gene Smith anymore.

Related: Jaguars

Source: Sports Illustrated
Apr 8 - 8:58 AM

Agreed. I'm puzzled that I keep hearing comments like, "who's going to pony up picks and take on that salary" ??

I thought it was a given that in any trade scenario, Peterson would have to agree to a lower salary, but get some guaranteed $$$ (current contract has none).

Agreed. I'm puzzled that I keep hearing comments like, "who's going to pony up picks and take on that salary" ??

I thought it was a given that in any trade scenario, Peterson would have to agree to a lower salary, but get some guaranteed $$$ (current contract has none).
Peterson would only agreed to less money in a trade if it was a place he wanted to go (Cowboys).

Peterson would only agreed to less money in a trade if it was a place he wanted to go (Cowboys).
Not sure I agree with that. If he wants to play but just not in Minny, he might not be as picky as we think. Sure, some destinations are better than others, but any place that is offering a good amount of guaranteed pay is an improvement over his current contract.

Not sure I agree with that. If he wants to play but just not in Minny, he might not be as picky as we think. Sure, some destinations are better than others, but any place that is offering a good amount of guaranteed pay is an improvement over his current contract.
I don't understand what wrong with his current contract - it's $13M guaranteed for one year.

who wants to guarantee big money to a 30 year old RB with a lot of miles?

Dogra is not demanding a trade yet, rather expressing his dissatisfaction with the organization. Peterson's camp believes he deserves "face of the franchise" guaranteed money, along the lines of a premier quarterback, per Rapoport.

yeah, that is not going to happen

I'll concede that the Vikings have not painted themselves into the corner of saying that they will not trade him under any circumstances. Kudos to Vikings management for that. But they still hold all the cards.

I don't understand what wrong with his current contract - it's $13M guaranteed for one year.
:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread