What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFC East - Worst Division in NFL? (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
What are your thoughts on the AFC East?

Is this the worst division in the NFL?

How would you rank it?

My Rankings:

NFC West

NFC North

NFC South

NFC East

AFC South

AFC West

AFC North

AFC East

How would you rank it?

My Rankings:

NFC West

NFC North

NFC South

NFC East

AFC South

AFC West

AFC North

AFC East
Agree with the AFC East being the worst... I'd probably order things a little different though:

NFC West

NFC East

NFC North

NFC South

AFC West

AFC South

AFC North

AFC East

NFC West is the defensive juggernaut and wins 1st place but when it comes to the best offensive division I think you have to give that to the NFC East. The NFC East combined for a whopping 127 points scored in Week 1. The next closest being the AFC West at 122 points which includes a more or less record breaking night from Peyton. The NFC East is THE offensive division by a mile. Their defenses all have a lot of big question marks but honestly, besides the NFC West what division doesn't right now? So the NFC East is definitely the #2 division to me right now. Also the AFC West is defintitely better than the AFC South at least after Week 1. The Chiefs and Broncos looked amazing and the Chargers and Raiders while losing still looked really solid. Where as the Colts and Texans both looked a LOT worse than we thought they would be.

NFC West is the defensive juggernaut and wins 1st place but when it comes to the best offensive division I think you have to give that to the NFC East. The NFC East combined for a whopping 127 points scored in Week 1. The next closest being the AFC West at 122 points which includes a more or less record breaking night from Peyton. The NFC East is THE offensive division by a mile. Their defenses all have a lot of big question marks but honestly, besides the NFC West what division doesn't right now? So the NFC East is definitely the #2 division to me right now. Also the AFC West is defintitely better than the AFC South at least after Week 1. The Chiefs and Broncos looked amazing and the Chargers and Raiders while losing still looked really solid. Where as the Colts and Texans both looked a LOT worse than we thought they would be.
The NFC East scored 'a whopping 127 points' against one another.... Silly argument, if anything they're looking like the least threatening division in the NFC.

NFC West and North>>>>South>East

AFC South>>West>North>East

How would you rank it?

My Rankings:

NFC West

NFC North

NFC South

NFC East

AFC South

AFC West

AFC North

AFC East
Agree with the AFC East being the worst... I'd probably order things a little different though:

NFC West

NFC East

NFC North

NFC South

AFC West

AFC South

AFC North

AFC East

But the Chiefs looked good playing the Jaguars. My 8 year old nephews pee wee team would look against Jax. The Colts beat the Raiders and the Texans beat the Chargers. I find it hard to put the AFC west ahead of the south.

I still think the offenses in the NFC south are better with ATL & NO then the NFC east, but I won't argue that as much as the AFC west/south.

The NFC East scored 'a whopping 127 points' against one another.... Silly argument, if anything they're looking like the least threatening division in the NFC.NFC West and North>>>>South>East

Same as mine except you flip south and west in AFC... I get it bc the Broncos are clearly the class of the AFC but I'm not calling the Chiefs anything more then a team that beat Jax until I see a bigger sample size.

The NFC East scored 'a whopping 127 points' against one another.... Silly argument, if anything they're looking like the least threatening division in the NFC.NFC West and North>>>>South>East

Same as mine except you flip south and west in AFC... I get it bc the Broncos are clearly the class of the AFC but I'm not calling the Chiefs anything more then a team that beat Jax until I see a bigger sample size.
Sure, that's fair. I mean I'm basing it more on how bad I thought Indy and Houston looked and less on how amazing the Chiefs looked.

As for NFC North and South being better than the NFC East I think that's just crazy... I could see a small argument for NFC North but definitely not NFC South. The Bucs and Panthers looked Awful with a capital A this past week and New Orleans has the worst defense in recent memory. Atlanta's a banged up mess as well.

Sure, that's fair. I mean I'm basing it more on how bad I thought Indy and Houston looked and less on how amazing the Chiefs looked.

As for NFC North and South being better than the NFC East I think that's just crazy... I could see a small argument for NFC North but definitely not NFC South. The Bucs and Panthers looked Awful with a capital A this past week and New Orleans has the worst defense in recent memory. Atlanta's a banged up mess as well.
I hear what youre saying, but I think the Saints are a lot more dangerous this year then last. I also think ATL will be just fine & both teams can make a run. I just dont think any team in the NFC east has a shot at making a SB run.

Last edited by a moderator:

I hear what youre saying, but I think the Saints are a lot more dangerous this year then last. I also think ATL will be just fine & both teams can make a run. I just dont think any team in the NFC east has a shot at making a SB run.
That's what they say every year the Giants walk away with a Lombardi Trophy lol

Can't believe the AFC north is rated so low. Is it all off 1 week? They have the returning super bowl champs, a lot of people's darkhorse SB pick, and the 2nd most successful franchise over the last decade as 3 of their teams.

I am not saying the AFC East is great, but do people realize they are 2-0 in games outside of their division thus far? I actually think Miami and the Jets have the potential to win between 7-9 each this year...the problem is that for the first time in a long time, the Pats are not playing like an elite team. But give them Gronk, Vereen and Amendola back towards the end of the year, and they will find their way back to the top.

That's what they say every year the Giants walk away with a Lombardi Trophy lol
And I'm damn happy about that fact ;) Doesn't really impact the argument though.

I won't give much credit for one week. the NFC East is the only division with four very-good/great QBs, but total points scored at the end of the year will be close between the East and North.

I like the Chiefs, called them a WC team this year, but looking amazing against Jacksonville means nothing.

Adrian Peterson

Calvin Johnson

Aaron Rodgers

Brandon Marshall

The NFC East has better offensive players? :no:
Consider groups. Just the top guy at each position....

Romo-Murray-Dez-Witten

Griffin-Morris-Garcon-Davis/Reed

Eli-Wilson-Nicks/Cruz-Myers

Vick-McCoy-DJax-Celek

You could argue, but they are almost all above average at their positions and it's VERY tough to find many better groups. Plus, their OLines are decent.

Compare that to

Ponder-AD-Jennings-Rudolph

Stafford-Bush-Calvin-Pettigrew/Fauria?

Rodgers-Lacy-Cobb-Finley

Cutler-Forte-Marshall-Bennett

they're tight, but by team I'd rank them something like:

Romo-Murray-Dez-Witten

Rodgers-Lacy-Cobb-Finley

Vick-McCoy-DJax-Celek

Stafford-Bush-Calvin-Pettigrew/Fauria

It's very close.

Adrian Peterson

Calvin Johnson

Aaron Rodgers

Brandon Marshall

Romo-Murray-Dez-Witten

Vick-McCoy-DJax-Celek

You could argue, but they are almost all above average at their positions and it's VERY tough to find many better groups. Plus, their OLines are decent.

Compare that to

Rodgers-Lacy-Cobb-Finley

Romo-Murray-Dez-Witten

Rodgers-Lacy-Cobb-Finley

Vick-McCoy-DJax-Celek

It's very close.
Interesting. I heard an old timer once say you can tell who will win most of the time by comparing the top 3 skill position players on each team.

Stafford - Bush - Mega are the best 1/2/3 here IMO...

Regardless, the AFC East is still the worst division in the NFL by far!

Adrian Peterson

Calvin Johnson

Aaron Rodgers

Brandon Marshall

Romo-Murray-Dez-Witten

Vick-McCoy-DJax-Celek

Compare that to

Rodgers-Lacy-Cobb-Finley

Romo-Murray-Dez-Witten

Rodgers-Lacy-Cobb-Finley

Vick-McCoy-DJax-Celek

It's very close.
Interesting. I heard an old timer once say you can tell who will win most of the time by comparing the top 3 skill position players on each team.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I don't agree with the wins being based just off the big 3.

I don't think anyone would just look at Flacco/Rice/Boldin and expect the Ravens would have won last year's Super Bowl.

Eli/Bradshaw/Cruz? :no:

Rodgers/Jackson/Jennings? :no:

Brees/Pierre/Colston? :shrug:

I'm just saying if we're talking offensive production, I'd look at more than the top player on the team.

Adrian Peterson

Calvin Johnson

Aaron Rodgers

Brandon Marshall

Romo-Murray-Dez-Witten

Vick-McCoy-DJax-Celek

Compare that to

Rodgers-Lacy-Cobb-Finley

Romo-Murray-Dez-Witten

Rodgers-Lacy-Cobb-Finley

Vick-McCoy-DJax-Celek

It's very close.
No it is not close. Defenses in the NFC North are better also. They just get shell shocked in their inter divisional games.

Giants and Eagles have bad defenses and Washington/Dallas are more middle of the road.

Really a shame. For years there, the Bills were left to rot at the bottom of a very good division. Multiple Patriots titles, Jets appearances in the AFC CG, and the Dolphins even won the division when they introduced the Wildcat. Now the division is horrible and there for the taking, and the Bills still suck. :thumbdown:

In the last 10-12 yrs the AFC East has played in 5 Super Bowls, won 3 Super Bowls, played in 8 Conference Championship games.
All the Super Bowl related stuff is the Patriots and I think 6 of the 8 conference championships too

I think the Jets have 2 conference championship appearances

The Dolphins and Bills haven't done much if anything in the last 10-12 years

In the last 10-12 yrs the AFC East has played in 5 Super Bowls, won 3 Super Bowls, played in 8 Conference Championship games.
All the Super Bowl related stuff is the Patriots and I think 6 of the 8 conference championships too

Yeah, I mean that's literally ALL the Patriots. The Patriots we're gold in a chest full of $h1t for the past 12 seasons. If the Patriots start to fall behind (at least through two games this seems to be happening) that division very quickly becomes the worst by a very wide margin.

Only reason the Pats will make the playoffs this year is cause they are in the AFC east. I don't think they mke the playoffs in any other division. This is a bad group of teams in this division.

Was anything I posted untrue?

NFC West - Seattle and San Fran are the obvious observations, but St Louis would favored as division champs in four or five other divisions. And the Cards may get to .500, remarkable considering how badly they'll get beat up inside the division

NFC South - Atlanta losing on the road to a divisional foe doesn't shake my faith in them, it just showed me that the Saints are back. Carolina can play D well enough to frustrate some teams and sneak some wins. Doug Martin owners... Tampa will be in come-from-behind mode far more than you'd like.

NFC North - Green Bay is good enough to make the playoffs, but they just feel a bit soft around the edges. Chicago and Minnesota are both teams with nice pieces but it just feels like there's something lacking (easier to identify with Minnesota). And Detroit is the late-nineties-early-2000s Portland Trailblazers of the NFL.

AFC South - People can look at Indi and Houston and say they should have won by more. I look and see teams that had bad games and still found a way. When it's Chicago, it's impressive. When it's these two, it's disappointing. Of all the teams going nowhere because of their quarterback, Tennessee looks like they have the most going for them. And Jacksonville is really bad.... but there's only so much you can let a cellar-dweller affect your view on these things

AFC North - A huge bucket of meh. Baltimore still has swagger but is figuring out how it'll all fit together, Cincinnati feels like the sum is less than the parts, Cleveland's D has some real potential but the offense has just about none, and Pittsburgh looks to have their tailspin on autopilot.

AFC West - Having the best team in the conference has to give the division as a whole some buoyancy. Kansas City is intruiging... the "corner of my eye" team for this season. Oakland showed they care more than their talent gives them the right to do. And San Diego.... they will somehow finish worse than they should (seventh verse, same as the first).

NFC East - Someone pointed out this division scored 127 points last weekend. They failed to point out the division gave up 127 points. If one is impressive, then the other must be dismal, right? Philly looked impressive Monday night, but once a team hangs a couple of three-and-outs on them and buys their defense some breathers, the track meet will be over. Dallas is destined to finish somewhere between 7 and 9 wins. They get six turnovers one week, you know they've got a six-turnovers-for-the-other-guy game in them as well. Giants are the definition of Jeckyl and Hyde, and the Redskins will only go as far as RG3's Rascal will take them. The division winner this year will have nine wins, and then everyone will laud the division as a whole for how gritty they all are.

AFC East - Patriots aren't the Patriots. Bills, Dolphins and Jets are the Bills, Dolphins and Jets.

Was anything I posted untrue?
Was anything you posted relevant to 2013?

If Buffalo beats Carolina the entire division will be .500 or better.
Which avoids any need for actual observation.

Have the Pats looked good in either of their wins?

Despite the fact Manuel looks like he can handle the NFL game, does the team look like they can do much?

The Jets beat the Bucs at home despite looking bad and then looked worse against the aforementioned Patriots. What about their performance gives you hope?

The Dolphins have a lot of hype with them. They may be the one redeeming aspect of this division. But is that the sign of a strong division? I'm gonna go with "no"

NFC West - Seattle and San Fran are the obvious observations, but St Louis would favored as division champs in four or five other divisions. And the Cards may get to .500, remarkable considering how badly they'll get beat up inside the division
The rams are on the rise but this is absurd. NO/ATL GB DEN NE CIN/BAL would all be favored to win more games than STL against like opposition. So you have AFCS (which i still go HOU) and NFCE (only because the front runner is always so hard to call). Let me know which of these teams the Rams would be favored to win the division over.

The rams are on the rise but this is absurd. NO/ATL GB DEN NE CIN/BAL would all be favored to win more games than STL against like opposition. So you have AFCS (which i still go HOU) and NFCE (only because the front runner is always so hard to call). Let me know which of these teams the Rams would be favored to win the division over.
NFC East (by two games, at least)

AFC East (Pats are a shell of themselves this season)

AFC North

AFC South (with this one, favored may be a stretch because of Houston... but the Rams would be playing Tennessee and Jacksonville instead of Seattle and San Fran)

And while I know others are much bigger on them than I am, I think the NFC North is down. They wouldn't be favored in that one, but they'd easily be in the mix at the end in there.

Only reason the Pats will make the playoffs this year is cause they are in the AFC east. I don't think they mke the playoffs in any other division. This is a bad group of teams in this division.
I doubt that, if you put them in the AFC West and moved Denver to the East it would almost be the same. Even if you left in Denver in and took out one of the other teams, I think they still make a wildcard at 10 - 6. The same thing could be said about the South and Houston. If we are just going by the first week they could win the the North as bad as everyone looked.

Despite the fact Manuel looks like he can handle the NFL game, does the team look like they can do much?

The Jets beat the Bucs at home despite looking bad and then looked worse against the aforementioned Patriots. What about their performance gives you hope?

The Dolphins have a lot of hype with them. They may be the one redeeming aspect of this division. But is that the sign of a strong division? I'm gonna go with "no"
Exactly ;)

Its a bad division, there's no getting around it. I blame the Dolphins for signing Culpepper over Brees 7yrs ago (super glad they did).

With a handful of exceptions most of the non-QB rosters in the league are basically the same & the best QB on the 3 teams of the last 10 yrs is ummm, Favre? Good God.

AFC North

AFC South (with this one, favored may be a stretch because of Houston... but the Rams would be playing Tennessee and Jacksonville instead of Seattle and San Fran)

And while I know others are much bigger on them than I am, I think the NFC North is down. They wouldn't be favored in that one, but they'd easily be in the mix at the end in there.
These rams?

They have 2 teams at 2 - 0 and the other 2 are at 1 - 1, with their loses coming against the division

The Pats are 2-0 despite missing some key guys. Their offense will be much different once Gronk comes back.

The Jets are 1-1 and their defense looks legit. Their only loss is in division. Geno has made some big mistakes, but looks like he can play too.

Buffalo is 1-1 and just ran all over a Carolina defense that held Lynch and the Seahawks totally in check. Their defense has quietly been very good actually save for getting worn out in the 4th quarter of both games. Their only loss is in the division.

The Dolphins are now 2-0 including a win over the highly hyped Colts.

AFC North

These rams?
You mean the Rams where the difference between them and one of those on the short list of making the Super Bowl was a tipped-pass-picked-by-a-D-lineman-and-returned-for-a-TD?

NFC East has gone 0-3 so far today, including a home loss to San Diego and a loss to KC.

AFC East - Please tell me you wins against Carolina or Cleveland change who these guys are

AFC North - Two lackluster games inside the division proves pretty much nothing (I know I'm jumping the gun on this, but tell me Steelers/Bengals won't qualify)

AFC South - You mean -these- Texans? You mean -these- Colts?

While it's nice to know you were just sitting at your keyboard waiting for the first bad week from the Rams, you clearly didn't look at any of the landscape they'd be compared to. A close loss on the road to the team with the best record in football last year.... oodles and oodles of shame in that one, there is.

AFC North

These rams?
You mean the Rams where the difference between them and one of those on the short list of making the Super Bowl was a tipped-pass-picked-by-a-D-lineman-and-returned-for-a-TD?

NFC East has gone 0-3 so far today, including a home loss to San Diego and a loss to KC.

AFC East - Please tell me you wins against Carolina or Cleveland change who these guys are

AFC North - Two lackluster games inside the division proves pretty much nothing (I know I'm jumping the gun on this, but tell me Steelers/Bengals won't qualify)

AFC South - You mean -these- Texans? You mean -these- Colts?

While it's nice to know you were just sitting at your keyboard waiting for the first bad week from the Rams, you clearly didn't look at any of the landscape they'd be compared to. A close loss on the road to the team with the best record in football last year.... oodles and oodles of shame in that one, there is.
So you are saying people are over reacting to the Rams game today, because it was against the Falcons?

So you are saying people are over reacting to the Rams game today, because it was against the Falcons?
Not necessarily. I admit I'm posting blind today, just going off scoreboards and having not watched any games. But I never said the Rams would go 16-0, and if one of their losses comes on the road to Atlanta, as long as they looked like they could compete, I would accept that. I know they were down huge early. But they didn't curl up in the fetal position.

Users who are viewing this thread