What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFC Games will both be blowouts (1 Viewer)

You forgot that Brady > God.
Oh dang, how'd I forget that? His urine cured my lung cancer.
Thank you. I'm glad to see you've turned the tool factor down. :thumbup:
I'm sorry if I come off as a tool, I'm simply arguing for the sake of expanding my knowledge base.
I was just messing with you. Let's get back to praising the Patriots please.NE is only 20 games away from tying the NFL record for consecutive wins (held by Brady, of course). Now normally I'd say it's too early to start focusing on that, but with Brady+Belichick+Vinatieri+Bruschi, is it EVER too early?

NE > Den

NE > Ind

NE > Sea

That puts them on pace to go 16-0 next year (show the Colts how it's done), tying the record with their first playoff win and when they win the AFCC to go to the SB, they'll also set a new record.
Actually,NE V2.005 > NE V2.004 > NE V2.003 > NE V2.001

and of course, after they win this year, next year NE V2.006 will trump even NE V2.005.

I'm sorry if I come off as a tool, I'm simply arguing for the sake of expanding my knowledge base.
I was just messing with you. Let's get back to praising the Patriots please.NE is only 20 games away from tying the NFL record for consecutive wins (held by Brady, of course). Now normally I'd say it's too early to start focusing on that, but with Brady+Belichick+Vinatieri+Bruschi, is it EVER too early?

NE > Den

NE > Ind

NE > Sea

That puts them on pace to go 16-0 next year (show the Colts how it's done), tying the record with their first playoff win and when they win the AFCC to go to the SB, they'll also set a new record.
Is someone a little bitter that his "Turnover Margin" thread contending that the Patriots were very weak didnt really turn out the way he planned?I think next weekend is set up for 2 GREAT games. One of which the Pats MIGHT or MIGHT NOT win.

Most Pats fans know that this year is not last year. Last year the Pats were 14-2 and clearly the BEST team in the league so to be a pk at home against Indy and an underdog against Pitt was an insult to them. Result, Pats crush both teams.

This year the Pats have struggled through an injury plagued season. They have gotten hot at the right time and currently look very good. I'm psyched for this weekends game but I'm far from feeling 100% confident of victory as I did last year against both the Colts and Steelers.

NE > Den

NE > Ind

NE > Sea

Is someone a little bitter that his "Turnover Margin" thread contending that the Patriots were very weak didnt really turn out the way he planned?I think next weekend is set up for 2 GREAT games. One of which the Pats MIGHT or MIGHT NOT win.

Most Pats fans know that this year is not last year. Last year the Pats were 14-2 and clearly the BEST team in the league so to be a pk at home against Indy and an underdog against Pitt was an insult to them. Result, Pats crush both teams.

This year the Pats have struggled through an injury plagued season. They have gotten hot at the right time and currently look very good. I'm psyched for this weekends game but I'm far from feeling 100% confident of victory as I did last year against both the Colts and Steelers.
Why would I be bitter since you basically just echoed everything I said in that other thread?The 2005 regular season Pats were just an above average team. Above averages teams almost never win the SB. That's all I wrote there, outside of expecting NE to beat Jax but lose in round 2.

But now seeing that Brady created God, I think they can handle Den.

Brady is the best that the NFL has to offer in the playoffs. In that forum, yes Brady is God. Deal with it. At least as a Jets fan, you wont have to worry about Herm Edwards blowing any more playoff games for you.How does it feel to go from 1 kick from the AFC Championship game to a joke of a team within 1 year. Good luck with your 4th pick in the draft. Pick another defensive lineman. Keep trying to get a pass rush on Brady.

I was just messing with you. Let's get back to praising the Patriots please.

NE is only 20 games away from tying the NFL record for consecutive wins (held by Brady, of course). Now normally I'd say it's too early to start focusing on that, but with Brady+Belichick+Vinatieri+Bruschi, is it EVER too early?

NE > Den

NE > Ind

NE > Sea

Actually, I heard that Bill Belichick had figured out a way to somehow go 17-0 during the regular season next year just to get that whole "will they tie the record" thing out of the way with before the playoffs started.
Is someone a little bitter that his "Turnover Margin" thread contending that the Patriots were very weak didnt really turn out the way he planned?

I think next weekend is set up for 2 GREAT games. One of which the Pats MIGHT or MIGHT NOT win.

Umm... weren't the Patriots a ROAD FAVORITE against Pitt last season, despite Pitt crushing them convincingly earlier in the season?

I was just messing with you. Let's get back to praising the Patriots please.

NE is only 20 games away from tying the NFL record for consecutive wins (held by Brady, of course). Now normally I'd say it's too early to start focusing on that, but with Brady+Belichick+Vinatieri+Bruschi, is it EVER too early?

NE > Den

NE > Ind

NE > Sea

Actually, I heard that Bill Belichick had figured out a way to somehow go 17-0 during the regular season next year just to get that whole "will they tie the record" thing out of the way with before the playoffs started.
Is someone a little bitter that his "Turnover Margin" thread contending that the Patriots were very weak didnt really turn out the way he planned?

I think next weekend is set up for 2 GREAT games. One of which the Pats MIGHT or MIGHT NOT win.

Most Pats fans know that this year is not last year.  Last year the Pats were 14-2 and clearly the BEST team in the league so to be a pk at home against Indy and an underdog against Pitt was an insult to them.  Result, Pats crush both teams.

This year the Pats have struggled through an injury plagued season.  They have gotten hot at the right time and currently look very good.  I'm psyched for this weekends game but I'm far from feeling 100% confident of victory as I did last year against both the Colts and Steelers.
Umm... weren't the Patriots a ROAD FAVORITE against Pitt last season, despite Pitt crushing them convincingly earlier in the season?
Pats were an underdog in that game when the line first came out. They only moved to favorite after $ came flying in on the Patriots. Pitt did crush the Pats convincingly in the regular season, how did that work out for them in the playoffs?

They were a 3-point favorite over Indy (which could be construed as a virtual pick when taking away the automatic points home teams usually get) and a slight favorite (I think it was 2 or 3 points) over Pittsburgh. And they were not clearly the best team during the regular season. The Steelers were 15-1. The Pats were 14-2. The difference was one game and Pitt beat NE in the regular season. Now, New England was the better team in the playoffs and were very deserving Super Bowl winners, but to say they were clearly the best team (going into the playoffs leading to the point spreads you referred to) is not accurate.

By gametime, I got the Pats at a pk against Indy. I also got the Pats -2 againts the Steelers at the end of the week. They started as a small underdog.If you follow the gambling threads here or know anything about football gambling, the Pats were THE dominant team going into the playoffs.Those of us who knew what we were doing made a TON of $ off of the Pats in the playoffs last year.

By gametime, I got the Pats at a pk against Indy. I also got the Pats -2 againts the Steelers at the end of the week. They started as a small underdog.

If you follow the gambling threads here or know anything about football gambling, the Pats were THE dominant team going into the playoffs.

Those of us who knew what we were doing made a TON of $ off of the Pats in the playoffs last year.
Implying that betting on the Pats is "knowing what you're doing" is asinine. A coinflip would correctly pick games 50% of the time, too. Does this mean that half of all coins know what they're doing?

By gametime, I got the Pats at a pk against Indy. I also got the Pats -2 againts the Steelers at the end of the week. They started as a small underdog.

If you follow the gambling threads here or know anything about football gambling, the Pats were THE dominant team going into the playoffs.

Those of us who knew what we were doing made a TON of $ off of the Pats in the playoffs last year.
The Colts/Pats game was such an even spread because Vegas knows people love to bet money on high-scoring teams regardless of how good their defense is (which is why spreads on Rams games years ago were too high even after they stopped being a dominant team), so they set the line like they did in the hopes of getting equal money on both sides. If they had set the spread at NE -7 and everyone took the Colts, they stand too great of a chance of losing money if the Colts cover. Remember, Vegas sets the point spread in an attempt to get equal money on both sides, so they win (because of the juice they get from the losing side).

The line in Pitt/NE in last year's title game was like it was because of how both teams looked in the divisional round. NE looked dominant against Indy. Pitt looked shaky against the Jets. So, Vegas knew the public would be all over the Pats and make the game a virtual pick, hoping just as many would take Pittsburgh at home. Had Pitt looked great against NYJ and NE struggled against Indy, Pitt probably would have been a 4 or 5-point favorite in the title game over NE.

Last edited by a moderator:

NE > Den

NE > Ind

NE > Sea

and of course, after they win this year, next year NE V2.006 will trump even NE V2.005.
As a long time pats fan, I must say I think your nuts. This 05 team has a huge hole in the secondary that I can only hope will be covered up by the front 7. With that being said 04 and 03 > 05.

Not a fishing thread and I am not a fan of any of the four teams.  Consider:

Indy beat the Steelers 26-7 and it wasn't even that close earlier this year in Indy. 

Denver beat the Pats 28-20 earlier this year at Invesco. 

What changes?  Absolutely nothing.  Steelers lack the offensive talent to keep up with the very well rested Colts and the Broncos will just roll the Patriots without regard to their amazing run.  Broncos have a very good defense to go with a nearly unstoppable rushing attack and although this game should be close, it won't be. 

The Steelers and Colts is much easier to call and the only way the Steelers can stay in it is with turnovers or hope that Peyton Manning goes down on the first play.
If you don't think that NE and Pit(but especially NE) have improved a ton since then, you are crazy. And Indy has only regressed since then.
Aren't you the same guy who said NO was your #7 team after week one and said the Giants would win by 20 easy vs Carolina? Who's crazy?

As much as I would love to see the Broncos knock out the Pats, it won't be easy. The Broncos defense has not put pressure on the opposing QBs all year, so Brady will put up big numbers and keep them right in it.
29th against the pass and only 28 sacks backs your point. But I think one of the big factors to Denver being so bad vs the pass is the fact that they are usually well ahead in games. But then again....I did watch Buffalo tear them up. I think I posted this thread to have someone talk me down from how high I am on Denver. I think they'll beat the Colts also. Considering I really, really, really dislike the Broncos this is hard to grasp so I'm running with it.
Ignore that 29th against the pass. It means pretty much nothing at all, since Denver faced FAR more pass attempts than any other team in the entire league. And it wasn't even close.Denver faced 33 more pass attempts (an entire extra game's worth) than the team that faced the second most (NYG, for those interested). They faced a full 99 more pass attempts than the NFL median.

As for the sacks... they aren't getting sacks, true, but they've actually been getting pretty decent pressure, which is a big reason why they have almost as many INTs this season as they did in the past 3 years combined.

Denver's pass defense is actually pretty solid, it just gets tested a ton.

As for the true topic of this post - which is timely - I think Indy will win w/o pumping in extra noise although I'm pulling for the Steelers. Tough match up for the Steelers. And I'm hoping Denver wins, but I also think the Pats are a tough match up. Both teams find a way to win more often than not and this isn't the same Pats team that Denver beat up earlier in the season. With the Pats using a 3-4, could we see more Ron Dayne? I don't remember the exact post (and no, I'm not going to look it up), but someone mentioned Ron Dayne might be Shanahan's secret weapon against the 3-4. Looking back on the season, I agree. Are you listening, Shanny?  :popcorn:
That was me that mentioned that Dayne was Denver's secret weapon against the 3-4, but I was joking. I don't see anything in his game that makes him better able to succeed against 3-4 fronts than either Bell or Anderson, I was just noting that it was a statistical oddity that all of his best games came against 3-4 defenses, and that no other Denver RB had a decent game against the 3-4.
The fact that the Broncos never seem to get to the QB could be a very underrated weakness for them. Brady is trmendous at moving in the pocket and avoiding the sack, and those extra 1-3 seconds every pass play on average could be a huge difference in this game.

And Jake Plummer is the Broncos QB. Sorry Broncos fans, I like you team, but Jake Plummer. JAKE PLUMMER!
Jake Plummer- the guy with the lowest INT percentage in the entire NFL.Denver has the fewest giveaways in the entire NFL. New England has the second fewest takeaways. Jake Plummer taking care of the football is going to be one of the biggest reasons why Denver is favored to win- since turnover margin is so huge in the playoffs.

Seriously, can we stop with all the Jake Plummer cracks? How about we just look at what he's done since he came to Denver? Since he came to Denver, the only QBs who have been consistantly better are Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Everyone gets on Plummer's case for 20 INTs last year, but Trent Green and Jake Delhomme both had nearly as many? Why is no one making jokes about them?
Very, very :goodposting: as far as background and information. This is what I was looking for in this thread. Well articulated argument.

NE > Den

NE > Ind

NE > Sea

As a long time pats fan, I must say I think your nuts. This 05 team has a huge hole in the secondary that I can only hope will be covered up by the front 7. With that being said 04 and 03 > 05.
I guess maybe I needed to add the :sarcasm: smilie. If you noticed, I also said Brady created God. The idea was that New England fans put Brady on the highest of pedistals and their team can do no wrong. Ever. And they forever get better and better no matter what reality might indicate. I doubt any sane person would say that this is the best Patriots team to date.

I truly believe there are some people who think Brady has some mythical power that makes it impossible for him to lose in the playoffs, but he chooses to save up during some big regular season games. Pats fans that think they're going to win it all: When do you see NE losing a playoff game, if ever?

Before concluding that nothing has changed with the Patriots and the Donkeys, we might want to start by checking that injury report from last October and then comparing that to the gamebook to see who actually played.

Notable New England players who did not play in October but who will likely play on Saturday:

Kevin Faulk, RB

Corey Dillon, RB

Troy Brown, WR

Richard Seymour, RE

In addition, the Patriots were adjusting to the loss of guys like Matt Light and Tyrone Poole when they played Denver the first time. Guys like Hobbs and Kaczur have come a long way since last October, so I doubt the Patriots will be as weak on Saturday as they were in October.

Before concluding that nothing has changed with the Patriots and the Donkeys, we might want to start by checking that injury report from last October and then comparing that to the gamebook to see who actually played.

Notable New England players who did not play in October but who will likely play on Saturday:

Kevin Faulk, RB

Corey Dillon, RB

Troy Brown, WR

Richard Seymour, RE

In addition, the Patriots were adjusting to the loss of guys like Matt Light and Tyrone Poole when they played Denver the first time. Guys like Hobbs and Kaczur have come a long way since last October, so I doubt the Patriots will be as weak on Saturday as they were in October.
:goodposting: That's 2 Pro Bowl players and one of their most valuable utility guys.

Kevin Faulk, RB

Corey Dillon, RB

Troy Brown, WR

Richard Seymour, RE

In addition, the Patriots were adjusting to the loss of guys like Matt Light and Tyrone Poole when they played Denver the first time.  Guys like Hobbs and Kaczur have come a long way since last October, so I doubt the Patriots will be as weak on Saturday as they were in October.
:goodposting: That's 2 Pro Bowl players and one of their most valuable utility guys.
To say nothing of the fact that with both Dillon and Faulk out, they arguably had no running game at all last Octrober. Patrick Pass was the starting RB and he went 10/64, and the Patriots as a team only had 89 rushing yards, including Brady's 12. This Saturday, all 3 of these guys will be playing.

I truly believe there are some people who think Brady has some mythical power that makes it impossible for him to lose in the playoffs, but he chooses to save up during some big regular season games.

Pats fans that think they're going to win it all: When do you see NE losing a playoff game, if ever?
Honestly?In Denver this weekend. I don't think the Pats will win it all this year....

I truly believe there are some people who think Brady has some mythical power that makes it impossible for him to lose in the playoffs, but he chooses to save up during some big regular season games.

Pats fans that think they're going to win it all: When do you see NE losing a playoff game, if ever?
I said several times last year that the best way to have the Pats not win was to keep them out of the playoffs altogether.Although I am not a complete Pats whiny tool, I would say the Pats will lose when someone beats them in the playoffs (as opposed to them making a lot of bonehead plays and beating themselves).

They seem to play their best football December on, and their record speaks for itself.

Is this the worst Pats team of their title contending teams? Absolutely. But they still have experience, great coaching, and Brady, and that could be enough to win again.

There chances are not as good as in prior seasons, but they certainly do seem to pick it up in the playoffs.

Will they ever lose a game. Obviouly that will have to happen eventually, but they certainly do seem to be playing at a championship level again. Some will say that they have not beaten top tier talent in a while, so we'll have to see if they are contenders or pretenders this year.

NE > Den

NE > Ind

NE > Sea

I guess maybe I needed to add the :sarcasm: smilie. If you noticed, I also said Brady created God. The idea was that New England fans put Brady on the highest of pedistals and their team can do no wrong. Ever. And they forever get better and better no matter what reality might indicate. I doubt any sane person would say that this is the best Patriots team to date.
:bag: Fair enough.

Since Dillon didn't play in the first game and the Patriots were banged up, it's likely we'll see more running from NE once they've opened it up with the pass. The Pats are also #1 vs the run in what?...the final six games and JAX didn't have much luck there either. Bell had a huge game the first time including a 68 yard run and he'll get a chance here also. I think the Broncos can and will run on anyone so I give them the nod in the critical matchup of the day.NE is going to score, and score around 20 at least. But the Denver D will be ready for the pass and create opportunites for turnovers. Even though they were 29th against teh pass they had the most attempts against and were playing from ahead most of the season. I still like Denver, and I still like it to be a blowout by Patriot standards (=10). I also like the hype for the game because it plays to Denver's favor. Week 5 Broncos 28 Pats 20: NE DENTotal Net Yards 388 432 Total Plays 65 59 Average Gain 6.0 7.3 Net Yards Rushing 89 178 Rushes 19 34 Avg. Per Rush 4.7 5.2 Net Yards Passing 299 254 Comp.-Att. 24-46 17-24 Yards Per Pass 6.5 10.2 Sacked-Yards Lost 0-0 1-8 Had Intercepted 0 0 Touchdowns 2 4

Here's my personal way of breaking it down, flawed and all:Start with Pats playoff experience and that is a HUGE advantage. Home or away.Then:Brady vs Plummer Advantage Pats(big)Dillion vs Anderson/Bell Adv Den(slight)NE WR's vs Rod Smith Advantage Pats(big)NE TE's vs Den TE's EvenNE O'Line vs Cleveland scrubs Advantage Pats(slight,the O'Line isn't that good, but Henderson/Stroud were held)Den O'Line vs NE D'line advantage Den(big)NE WR's vs Den DB's advantage NE(VERY BIG) not just because the numbers say so. But because there are too many NE WR's for Den DB's that past Bailey are very average.Rod Smith(Lelie sucks) vs NE DB's Advantage NE(slight)Rod will get great numbers, but there isn't anything else. And this one comes back to Plummer. Not good for Den.Den LB's vs NE RB's Advantage Den(BIG) Can't see NE running wild, but could see them plugging in a few short TD'sNE' LB's vs Den RB's Advantage Den(Slight) NE LB's are not great, but are VERY effective in changing schemes. That's what will slow the Den RB'sSo:3 BIG advantages for NE3 Slight Advantages NE2 BIG Advantages Den2 slight advantages Den1 EvenK's are both greatNE 24 Den 20

I'm not a Pats fan in the least, but come on. The guy is what, 10-0 in the playoffs to date. If you want to call it a "mythical power," fine. The fact reamains, HE STILL HAS NOT BEEN BEATEN IN THE PLAYOFFS. People are not making this up... yes I know it's hard to believe... but it is true. Ever heard the saying "seeing is believing?" Well now would be a good time to apply it. Here are his postseason stats for those interested too:

Code:
Year  Opp   Result  |  CMP  ATT   PYD PTD INT  |  RSH    YD  TD---------------------+--------------------------+----------------- 2001  oak  W,16-13  |   32   52   312   0   1  |    5    16   1 2001  pit  W,24-17  |   12   18   115   0   0  |    2     3   0*2001  ram  W,20-17  |   16   27   145   1   0  |    1     3   0 2003  ten  W,17-14  |   21   41   201   1   0  |    5     5   0 2003  ind  W,24-14  |   22   37   237   1   1  |    5     1   0*2003  car  W,32-29  |   32   48   354   3   1  |    2    12   0 2004  ind  W,20-3   |   18   27   144   1   0  |    4     6   1 2004  pit  W,41-27  |   14   21   207   2   0  |    2    -2   0*2004  phi  W,24-21  |   23   33   236   2   0  |    1    -1   0 2005  jax  W,28-3   |   15   27   201   3   0  |    2     9   0---------------------+--------------------------+-----------------TOTAL                |  205  331  2152  14   3  |   29    52   2
What about this is NOT impressive?

I'm not a Pats fan in the least, but come on. The guy is what, 10-0 in the playoffs to date. If you want to call it a "mythical power," fine. The fact reamains, HE STILL HAS NOT BEEN BEATEN IN THE PLAYOFFS. People are not making this up... yes I know it's hard to believe... but it is true. Ever heard the saying "seeing is believing?" Well now would be a good time to apply it. Here are his postseason stats for those interested too:

Year  Opp   Result  |  CMP  ATT   PYD PTD INT  |  RSH    YD  TD---------------------+--------------------------+----------------- 2001  oak  W,16-13  |   32   52   312   0   1  |    5    16   1 2001  pit  W,24-17  |   12   18   115   0   0  |    2     3   0*2001  ram  W,20-17  |   16   27   145   1   0  |    1     3   0 2003  ten  W,17-14  |   21   41   201   1   0  |    5     5   0 2003  ind  W,24-14  |   22   37   237   1   1  |    5     1   0*2003  car  W,32-29  |   32   48   354   3   1  |    2    12   0 2004  ind  W,20-3   |   18   27   144   1   0  |    4     6   1 2004  pit  W,41-27  |   14   21   207   2   0  |    2    -2   0*2004  phi  W,24-21  |   23   33   236   2   0  |    1    -1   0 2005  jax  W,28-3   |   15   27   201   3   0  |    2     9   0---------------------+--------------------------+-----------------TOTAL                |  205  331  2152  14   3  |   29    52   2What about this is NOT impressive?
Whenever you ask Pats fans why the Brady-led Patriots missed the playoffs in 2002 (and losing a critical "win and your in-playoff like game"), the answer is because the team's defense was decimated that year (this is mostly true). The Patriots were the better team for most of those 10 wins, but 10-0 is remarkably impressive no matter how you slice it. But people act like 10-0 is significantly better than 10-1, which it isn't. That's all it is really.Likely, when Brady loses his first playoff game, his playoff stock will drop a lot more in most people's eyes than in mine (it won't drop at all in mine, since I don't believe he holds some mythical power to avoid losing playoff games).

Evidently Chase Stuart has never heard of great players taking it to another level in the Playoffs. No matter how good you are, history has shown you cant win every game in the regular season (1972 Miami excluded). Although Brady has shown himself to be brilliant during the regular season, he takes it to a new level in the playoffs (along with many of his teammates) and has yet to lose. What is so hard to understand about that?The Patriots are not the favorite to win the title this year, that belongs to Indy. Ever since the Pats lost Harrison, nobody on this board has seen me say the Pats would win the title. I just wanted another shot at Indy because the team they saw in Foxboro in November is not the same team I am seeing now. The biggest difference now is the pressure on the QB.I was hoping for a match with Indy this week but it looks like the Pats will have to go through Denver to get there. It wont be an easy task. In most of the games the Pats have lost this year, Brady has played poorly. KC, Carolina, SD, Denver (until the 2nd half). The fact that Brady has NEVER had a truly bad game in the playoffs, bodes well for the Pats. They have a good shot this weekend.

Evidently Chase Stuart has never heard of great players taking it to another level in the Playoffs. No matter how good you are, history has shown you cant win every game in the regular season (1972 Miami excluded). Although Brady has shown himself to be brilliant during the regular season, he takes it to a new level in the playoffs (along with many of his teammates) and has yet to lose. What is so hard to understand about that?

The Patriots are not the favorite to win the title this year, that belongs to Indy. Ever since the Pats lost Harrison, nobody on this board has seen me say the Pats would win the title. I just wanted another shot at Indy because the team they saw in Foxboro in November is not the same team I am seeing now. The biggest difference now is the pressure on the QB.

I was hoping for a match with Indy this week but it looks like the Pats will have to go through Denver to get there. It wont be an easy task. In most of the games the Pats have lost this year, Brady has played poorly. KC, Carolina, SD, Denver (until the 2nd half). The fact that Brady has NEVER had a truly bad game in the playoffs, bodes well for the Pats. They have a good shot this weekend.
Why didn't Brady take it to a new level in week 16, 2002? At home against the Jets, here was his stat line: 19/37, 133 yards, 1 TD/1 INT. If the Pats win that game, they control their own destiny and win the AFC East with a win the next week. They won the next week, but lost the division to the Jets.How about his 32-52, 312 yard (6.0 Y/A), 0 TD/1 INT performance against the Raiders? If the refs don't call the tuck rule OR if Vinatieri misses his FG, did Brady not take it to another level?

Why can't we just admit that Brady's an excellent QB all the time, that he doesn't injust ice into his veins during the playoffs, and he's had the good fortune of excellent coaching, a great supporting cast and a bit of luck to let him reach the most of his abilities and be 10-0 in the playoffs?

Year  Opp   Result  |  CMP  ATT   PYD PTD INT  |  RSH    YD  TD---------------------+--------------------------+----------------- 2001  oak  W,16-13  |   32   52   312   0   1  |    5    16   1 2001  pit  W,24-17  |   12   18   115   0   0  |    2     3   0*2001  ram  W,20-17  |   16   27   145   1   0  |    1     3   0 2003  ten  W,17-14  |   21   41   201   1   0  |    5     5   0 2003  ind  W,24-14  |   22   37   237   1   1  |    5     1   0*2003  car  W,32-29  |   32   48   354   3   1  |    2    12   0 2004  ind  W,20-3   |   18   27   144   1   0  |    4     6   1 2004  pit  W,41-27  |   14   21   207   2   0  |    2    -2   0*2004  phi  W,24-21  |   23   33   236   2   0  |    1    -1   0 2005  jax  W,28-3   |   15   27   201   3   0  |    2     9   0---------------------+--------------------------+-----------------TOTAL                |  205  331  2152  14   3  |   29    52   2What about this is NOT impressive?
Whenever you ask Pats fans why the Brady-led Patriots missed the playoffs in 2002 (and losing a critical "win and your in-playoff like game"), the answer is because the team's defense was decimated that year (this is mostly true). The Patriots were the better team for most of those 10 wins, but 10-0 is remarkably impressive no matter how you slice it. But people act like 10-0 is significantly better than 10-1, which it isn't. That's all it is really.Likely, when Brady loses his first playoff game, his playoff stock will drop a lot more in most people's eyes than in mine (it won't drop at all in mine, since I don't believe he holds some mythical power to avoid losing playoff games).
1. The Pats lost to the Jets in week 16 and beat the Dolphins in week 17. If they had won both games they would have made the playoffs. Losing in week 16 meant they no longer controlled their own destiny. The Jets game was not a "win and you are in" game.2. How do you define better team? The fact that they won? How about the Vegas point spread:

1. 3 pt fave vs Oakland at home = even on a neutral field. Pretty much a toss up. Brady stunk the 1st half and led an impropable comeback to a controversial win.

2. 8 pt underdog vs. Pittsburgh - Brady actually played less than a half

3. 14 pt underdog vs. St. Louis

4. 6 pt favorite vs Tennessee

5. 3.5 pt favorite over Indy

6. 7 pt favorite over Carolina

7. pk vs. Colts

8. 2 pt road favorites vs. a 16-1 Pittsburgh team

9. 7 pt favorites over the Eagles

10. 7.5 pt favorites over the Jags

So based on that, the Pats were clearly the better team in the eyes of the Public on 4 occasions. On 4 other occasions they were less than a FG favorite and on 2 occasions they were more than a TD underdog.

I dont think your argument holds water.

1. The Pats lost to the Jets in week 16 and beat the Dolphins in week 17. If they had won both games they would have made the playoffs. Losing in week 16 meant they no longer controlled their own destiny. The Jets game was not a "win and you are in" game.
Serious question.Do you think Brady said "this game is not a win and you are in game, so I won't use my mythical powers to guarantee victory"? Had the Pats won that game (which might have happenned if Brady didn't play horribly), they would have made the playoffs. Do you disagree with that? Were the stakes not well known to all involved, and it was a nationally televised Sunday Night game no less...and at home.

What if he never does? Then would your opinion change?

Evidently Chase Stuart has never heard of great players taking it to another level in the Playoffs.  No matter how good you are, history has shown you cant win every game in  the regular season (1972 Miami excluded).  Although Brady has shown himself to be brilliant during the regular season, he takes it to a new level in the playoffs (along with many of his teammates) and has yet to lose.  What is so hard to understand about that?

The Patriots are not the favorite to win the title this year, that belongs to Indy.  Ever since the Pats lost Harrison, nobody on this board has seen me say the Pats would win the title.  I just wanted another shot at Indy because the team they saw in Foxboro in November is not the same team I am seeing now.  The biggest difference now is the pressure on the QB.

I was hoping for a match with Indy this week but it looks like the Pats will have to go through Denver to get there.  It wont be an easy task.  In most of the games the Pats have lost this year, Brady has played poorly.  KC, Carolina, SD, Denver (until the 2nd half).  The fact that Brady has NEVER had a truly bad game in the playoffs, bodes well for the Pats.  They have a good shot this weekend.
Why didn't Brady take it to a new level in week 16, 2002? At home against the Jets, here was his stat line: 19/37, 133 yards, 1 TD/1 INT. If the Pats win that game, they control their own destiny and win the AFC East with a win the next week. They won the next week, but lost the division to the Jets.How about his 32-52, 312 yard (6.0 Y/A), 0 TD/1 INT performance against the Raiders? If the refs don't call the tuck rule OR if Vinatieri misses his FG, did Brady not take it to another level?

Why can't we just admit that Brady's an excellent QB all the time, that he doesn't injust ice into his veins during the playoffs, and he's had the good fortune of excellent coaching, a great supporting cast and a bit of luck to let him reach the most of his abilities and be 10-0 in the playoffs?
Because it wasn't a playoff game. Brady has two levels: regular season game level and playoff game level. :P

Brady has a coach that has a career losing record without him.Brady has a supporting cast that was 6-10 the year before, 0-2 when he took over, and predicted by nearly everyone to be one of the 3 worst teams in the league in 2001.

Luck? I think you create your own luck.

Brady has a coach that has a career losing record without him.Brady has a supporting cast that was 6-10 the year before, 0-2 when he took over, and predicted by nearly everyone to be one of the 3 worst teams in the league in 2001.

Luck? I think you create your own luck.
Do you think Belichick's record from '91-95 should really be held against him? He's without a doubt the top HC in the NFL today. LT wasn't even in college in '95, while Curtis Martin was one of the top RBs in football. Do we look to '95 when determining which RB is better today?Belichick's success as a DC has been well documented. He learned a ton from his one poor stint as HC, and under a different set of facts might have been an instant success. Regardless, right now he is an excellent coach.

Likewise, Brady was not a great QB when he started. He's now a great QB. Yes, the Patriots were supposed to be HORRIBLE in 2001, and started 0-2. Yes, Brady played well in 2001, but he wasn't what he is today. His passer rating ranked 3rd in the AFC that year (Gannon, McNair). But I suspect if the Pats lose that game to the Raiders, that 2001 season was looked at as a team that played well over its heads and were lucky to finish 11-5. Belichick thought his 2002 team was better than the 2001 squad, but had a worse record.

How about his 32-52, 312 yard (6.0 Y/A), 0 TD/1 INT performance against the Raiders? If the refs don't call the tuck rule OR if Vinatieri misses his FG, did Brady not take it to another level?
Are you really bringing this into your arguement? I was going to take your post seriously until you stated this.The game was played in a blizzard, they couldn't even keep the lines on the field clear enough to see. he led the team down to get both field goals in range.

THIRD QUARTER

NEW ENGLAND - FIELD GOAL (6:21)

Play: Adam Vinatieri 23 Yard

Drive: 12 plays, 62 yards in 6:21

Key Plays:

• Brady 8-yard pass to Edwards to New England 41

• Brady 13-yard pass to Edwards on 3rd-and-2 to Oakland 46

• Brady 25-yard pass to Patten to Oakland 30

• Brady 19-yard pass to Patten on 3rd-and-8 to Oakland 9

Fourth Quarter

NEW ENGLAND - TOUCHDOWN (7:08)

Play: Tom Brady 6 Yard Run (Adam Vinatieri Kick)

Drive: 10 plays, 67 yards in 4:37

Key Plays:

• Brady 14-yard pass to Patten to New England 47

• Brady 7-yard pass to Faulk to Oakland 46

• Brady 8-yard pass to Brown to Oakland 35

• Brady 11-yard pass to Patten to Oakland 20

• Brady 6-yard pass to Patten to Oakland 10

OAKLAND 13-10

NEW ENGLAND - FIELD GOAL (14:33)

Play: Adam Vinatieri 45 Yard

Drive: 8 plays, 26 yards in 1:39

Key Plays:

• Lechler 37-yard punt to New England 46

• Brady 7-yard pass to Faulk to Oakland 47

• Review of play reverses recovery of Biekert recovery of Brady fumble at Oakland 42

• Brady 13-yard pass to Patten to Oakland 29

OAKLAND 13, NEW ENGLAND 13

NEW ENGLAND - FIELD GOAL (8:29)

Play: Adam Vinatieri 23 Yard

Drive: 15 plays, 61 yards in 8:29

Key Plays:

• New England wins toss

• Brady 20-yard pass to Redmond to Oakland 45

• Brady 6-yard pass to Wiggins on 3rd-and-5 Oakland 34

• Brady 6-yard pass to Patten to Oakland 22

• Smith 9-yard run to Oakland to Oakland 8

Brady 8-for-8 for 45 yards

NEW ENGLAND 16-13
I'd say that's stepping it up quite a bit.
Belichick thought his 2002 team was better than the 2001 squad, but had a worse record.
Do you have a source? From what I've seen he was very disappointed with many aspects of that team and thought they lost focus. The #1 person he blamed that season for was himself. From "Patriot Reign" by Michael Smith

Brady is an anomoly. He doesn't fit the numbers or what we expect. He does what he is told by the coaching staff, and nothing more. The ultimate team player.

Do you have a source? From what I've seen he was very disappointed with many aspects of that team and thought they lost focus. The #1 person he blamed that season for was himself. From "Patriot Reign" by Michael Smith
"They had won their first Super Bowl, but they were not that good yet. No one knew that better than the head coach. When it was over, he hugged his old friend Ernie Adams and asked him, "Can you believe we won the Super Bowl against the Rams with this team?" To his mind they had barely begun building the Patriots into a team with their kind of players and enough depth to withstand the usual expected injuries. In 2002, they were 9-7 and did not make the playoffs, but, ironically, Belichick thought they were a better team. They were still incomplete, but change was under way. He was steadily getting new players, ones more compatible with his system." p.234, The Education of a Coach.Not from the book, but from PFR: The Pats had a very, very tough schedule in 2002. Making matters worse was they played teams at the worst times. They lost to the 9-7 Jets, but during the tail run of the Jets 7-2 streak. They lost to the 9-7 Broncos, but when the Broncos were 6-2. They lost to the 8-8 Chargers, but when they were 4-0 (and soon to be 6-1). The other 3 Pats losses were to 4 very good teams: Oak, Ten, GB (boy, things move quickly) and @Miami.

1. The Pats lost to the Jets in week 16 and beat the Dolphins in week 17. If they had won both games they would have made the playoffs. Losing in week 16 meant they no longer controlled their own destiny. The Jets game was not a "win and you are in" game.2. How do you define better team? The fact that they won? How about the Vegas point spread:

1. 3 pt fave vs Oakland at home = even on a neutral field. Pretty much a toss up. Brady stunk the 1st half and led an impropable comeback to a controversial win.

2. 8 pt underdog vs. Pittsburgh - Brady actually played less than a half

3. 14 pt underdog vs. St. Louis

4. 6 pt favorite vs Tennessee

5. 3.5 pt favorite over Indy

6. 7 pt favorite over Carolina

7. pk vs. Colts

8. 2 pt road favorites vs. a 16-1 Pittsburgh team

9. 7 pt favorites over the Eagles

10. 7.5 pt favorites over the Jags

So based on that, the Pats were clearly the better team in the eyes of the Public on 4 occasions. On 4 other occasions they were less than a FG favorite and on 2 occasions they were more than a TD underdog.

I dont think your argument holds water.
Pat Patriot and Chase Stuart have a nice string of posts that have good information here. Nice arguments. :thumbup: :popcorn:

I see both games as close...
I actually hope you are correct. I think the Broncos/Patriots game could be one of the best games ever but I really think that Denver will expose the Pats weaknesses like no other team can (I think they matchup better with the Colts). The Colts/Steelers I'm not so sure. The Colts have played all season for this and they aren't going to let a team that has trouble moving the ball against a good defense derail that train.
When the Steelers beat Chicago this year, they didn't play a team with a good defense that day, did they?

Brady is the best that the NFL has to offer in the playoffs. In that forum, yes Brady is God. Deal with it.

At least as a Jets fan, you wont have to worry about Herm Edwards blowing any more playoff games for you.

How does it feel to go from 1 kick from the AFC Championship game to a joke of a team within 1 year. Good luck with your 4th pick in the draft. Pick another defensive lineman. Keep trying to get a pass rush on Brady.
Yes, Brady is Brady the "QB God". He is the best out there right now because he's done it and been pretty much perfect in getting it done. But let me be one of the first to forbode that Ben Roethlisberger will take a major step up this playoff season in the rankings as "one of the best." He was flawless v. the Bengals and his winning percentage as the Steelers QB is well above .500. The Steelers offense is now his offense. His teammates believe in him and they will follow his lead. Move over Brady, here comes Big Ben.

:towelwave:

I see both games as close...
I actually hope you are correct. I think the Broncos/Patriots game could be one of the best games ever but I really think that Denver will expose the Pats weaknesses like no other team can (I think they matchup better with the Colts). The Colts/Steelers I'm not so sure. The Colts have played all season for this and they aren't going to let a team that has trouble moving the ball against a good defense derail that train.
When the Steelers beat Chicago this year, they didn't play a team with a good defense that day, did they?
Outside in the snow and elements. If this game was in Pittsburgh I'd like their chances to win. Believe me I'm not a Steelers hater at all, just think this is a very bad matchup for them. They have to control the tempo of the football game and the Colts are a team that just doesn't let too many teams do that (Pats in the playoffs last year was the last time I remember an instance). Realistically the Steelers are going to need some big plays on offense and run the ball effectively. I think FWP in open space and mixing in some trickery will serve them well. On defense they really have to limit the 15 and 20 yard completions that the Colts feed off of. Once that offense gets rolling with confidence they are nearly impossible to stop. The Chargers held them early, and the Seahawks kept them out of the endzone on three trips to the redzone when the Colts still had their starters in. If Pittsburgh can do all these things then they will have a chance but I just think that is asking a lot. I'll be rooting for the underdog plus I don't care for all the Colts hype since they still have nothing to show for these very good teams they've had recently. Again, that's my :2cents:

The hard one down, easy one coming today.

COLTS 38 Steelers 17
Props to your 14 pt win by Denver prediction :thumbup: Obviously I hope you're right about the Colts / Steelers matchup.

Users who are viewing this thread