What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFFL: FINANCIAL ISSUES AND CONCERNS (3 Viewers)

I don't blame anyone for being mad at me or AFFL.

Plain and simple, we screwed up. We are working fast to correct it, and I am sure that we will be able to soon.

We really are good people, a good company, and provide a good product.

I am sorry for everyone affected by our situation.

I don't blame anyone for being mad at me or AFFL.Plain and simple, we screwed up. We are working fast to correct it, and I am sure that we will be able to soon.We really are good people, a good company, and provide a good product.I am sorry for everyone affected by our situation.
Lets say next year I want to play, what are you going to do to make me feel comfortablethat I will get paid? Maybe to early to ask. But the next step after you pay everyone off willbe your biggest.

We are talking with a few different insurance companies to hold our prize fund in an escrow account as well as guarantee prizes in the event that we do not get enough participants.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are talking with a few different insurance companies to hold our prize fund in an escrow account as well as guarantee prizes in the event that we do not get enough participants.
Ok, sounds good.Now how will you go out and get the players, after what happen?To build this Contest up and to make money for yourself.Sorry for all these questions, but I'm sure you know it is helping you to answer these questions.

Well, we are going to do the traditional advertising in the fantasy magazines (which we went away from last year), as well as some online advertising.

We are diversifying with our commissioner product, and adding some low stakes, high margin games.

We are working on one more thing to bring in a lot of new customers, but I cannot talk about it on this forum (competitive advantage and all).

I am expecting a decrease in retention rate of around 20%. We normally operate from 80 to 85 % retention rate, and I would expect around 60% for next year.

I wanted to give everyone advance notice of the message board going down Sunday (2/17) through Saturday (2/23).

I feel that it is necessary as we will be meeting with several investors next week, and I don't want to spook any of them.
LinkI've got no horse in this race, but I wouldn't be optimistic if I did. I agree with bagger, there appears to have been gross mismanagement at several levels that lead to this problem. I thought it was honorable for the owner to own up to everything that happened and keep some sort of communication with customers, but shutting down the message board for a week during this critical time seems like a bad decision for someone who should be acutely concerned with customer perception. Justifying it because you don't want to spook investors seems misguided at best and deceitful at worse. I'd think a potential investor deserves to see exactly what is going on with your users, however embarrassed you may be about it.

I hope this all works out, the owner seems like his heart is in the right place and the people owed money clearly deserve to be paid, but realistically it doesn't look good from my perspective. Good luck to those involved.

I don't know a thing about AFFL....but I do have an opinion after reading this thread and what I have seen on the AFFL message boards as well.

Neil, let me get this straight....you are staking everything on the possibility of someone paying you in excess of $850,000 for some sort of cutting edge commissioner technology? I'm not questioning the potential value of such a product, however I am questioning the depth of the potential investor pool.

Clearly AFFL runs at a loss. I don't think that point can be argued and you have confirmed that fact. So any interest from any potential investor is going to come from someone that doesn't want to invest money in developing their own commissioner software. They cannot be depending on any sort of meaningful subscription retention for a site that is already running in the red. Your name has been forever tainted for all and forever ruined for some at this point (like it or not it has) so there is little to no value in the name AFFL.

Why you ever would have co-mingled contest prize funds with working capital is beyond comprehension. You knew prior to the start of the season that you would not be able to pay out the promised prize money based on your paid participation. The mid season contest is simply inexcusable- you knew weeks before that you were going to be unable to pay out the contest money at the end of the season without a cash infusion.

I don't know you at all Neil and I do believe you at one time probably ran a good site that people enjoyed. But what you have done this year is dishonest and you are asking people to trust you while not stating the true facts- you have known since September that you were not going to be able to pay the prize money for this year unless you were able to find a buyer/investor for your software product.

Joe.....I don't expect you to answer this question- but is your defense of Neil in any way related to your potential interest in his software product? No disrespect intended, just curious.

No, I have not skipped town.Although the debt is $850,000 our assets are over $850,000. We have had a software valuation of $850K in recreation cost.No one at AFFL is a crook, and I can guarantee that I know the laws about this one more then you. We are in full compliance with every law that we need to be. Although we are not going to file we do know the bankruptcy laws very well.We do not fall under any sweepstakes laws or lottery laws. Fantasy football is considered a game of skill.I can tell you that you are dreaming if you think that all fantasy contests don't count on the entry fees coming in to pay the prizes.We do pay our taxes and all prizes are paid over the table.Furthermore, we don't need Joe to go out on a limb for us. We have been fully forthcoming, and do have plenty of investors that are interested.We are not pitching investors purely on AFFL, but also the fact that we will be launching a full commissioner product this year. Our software rivals any out there now.
Bankruptcy lawyers are not typically well versed in federal criminal laws. How well do you know those? if you think you know them well, pls tell us what mail and wire fraud is, and throw in a little blurb on money laundering while your at it. And in your spare time take a look at the RICO act, both federal and state. Bankruptcy will protect you from civil lawsuits....

$850K in software?!? I could see $100-$150K but that number just blows my mind. As a fellow Fantasy Site Owner I at least have to take my hat off to you for going big or going home. But...

"I can tell you that you are dreaming if you think that all fantasy contests don't count on the entry fees coming in to pay the prizes."

That's not true. Many league management sites out there promise only %payouts per league to avoid this very scenario. By guaranteeing an enormous Grand Prize you are laying yourself at the mercy of sales.

Regardless, I've looked at your site, think you provide a kick*** product and hope you emerge from this experience bigger and better than ever. Take care.

I have to admit that this scenario is exactly why I don't play in any contests not run by a huge corporation.
EXCATLY.... I started playing $$ FF on CBS... and after one yr; I learned what a waste that was. This is a nightmare... and I feel awful for those that are waiting for some loan to go through in order to recieve an honest payout... this is why I play in small time leagues; And this AFFL sounds like it has terrible direction; your telling me that this business couldn't forecast its payouts and costs? :popcorn: a Simple little mistake has just cost you your business and your good standing w/ customers... If the thing has been running at a lost for a while, it was time to close up shop.Again.. I feel for those that are getting screwd right now.. I hope this guy gets his loan and is able to pay everyone.. and I also hope a lot of people learned a lesson about these contest leagues.

OK...this is obviously real. That said, I don't want this to turn into a prohibitively negative thread. ..... That said, I give credit to the AFFL guys coming in and owning up to the situation so let's give them some time to see if they can work this situation out positively.
People have just been informed that their money is dependant on a loan being processed... what do you think is going to happen.You give them credit for waiting till the last possible minute and then they inform everyone and own up to the situation????? They had No choice by then!!!!

The right thing to do would of been owning up to the situation mid-season... when they figured that they wouldn't be able to pay the payouts; they should of closed shop and refunded everyone... then I would give them all the cridet in the world.

Too lead everyone to think that everything is ok until the Payments are due and then inform them that there is no money and pay outs aren't gaurantee is terrible!!!

What of the people who won that money and had plans of using it it?

Again; they had too of known around Oct or Nov that there was going to be a huge problem... they wait till Feb to come out with it. Terrible.

Best of luck to all involved, imo, the software is the best in the market and probably worth a pretty penny...

Completely uninvoled in this but

I love how people are defending this guy yet he now twice makes cocky references to bankruptcy (with a weak qualifier on how he wants to avoid it) - as an attorney I constantly referencesthat "I know the litigation laws but really don't want to file" is meant to intimidate my adversary and get them to accept my position.

You may think you know the criminal laws and are compliant - lots of people that get put away think they do - I would be more sympathetic but to run a mid season contest is akin to inviting people into the barn for milk and cookies while the second floor is burning.

Even without the mid season contest debacle - you have unpaid customers reading about well you "know" the bankruptcy laws - if I read that crap and was a customer I'd already be on the line to the authorities to see how well you do know the laws.

You could be the best guy in the world but don't act like your not trying to send messages - on its face this does not look like a simple mismanagement of a business but a bookie who loses his money in the NFC championship game and even though he is broke he takes all bets in the Super Bowl hoping to win in order to pay out. In that situation there would be mob justice - since this is a "business" operation I guarantee the authorities would be interested despite how "much better" you know the laws then us. Hope you know the laws better than the Feds.

After reading this I wouldn't care if your software was the best I have ever seen - wouldn't go near your company.

I also hope Joe doesn't keep defending this guy - his now second references to bankruptcy shatters all credibility IMO - of course I am not a consumer (thank goodness) but a mere spectator in the court of message board opinion - for whatever that is worth!

Let's ask the questions... When did you know that you had a problem with the payouts? Why did you wait until the payments were due before informing us? How many have been paid? Face it... Your a theive. You must of known there was a problem early in the season.., yet you said nothing until the payments were due. You lead everyone along all seasob. And to top it off... You continued to collect money from people when you must of known sometime was wrong. Until everyone is paid or refunded, your a thieve... And what worries me is that business like yours is going to cause lawmakers and congressman to look into $ff and then make it more difficult for the little guy to continue with their honest business.

Completely uninvoled in this butI love how people are defending this guy yet he now twice makes cocky references to bankruptcy (with a weak qualifier on how he wants to avoid it) - as an attorney I constantly referencesthat "I know the litigation laws but really don't want to file" is meant to intimidate my adversary and get them to accept my position. You may think you know the criminal laws and are compliant - lots of people that get put away think they do - I would be more sympathetic but to run a mid season contest is akin to inviting people into the barn for milk and cookies while the second floor is burning. Even without the mid season contest debacle - you have unpaid customers reading about well you "know" the bankruptcy laws - if I read that crap and was a customer I'd already be on the line to the authorities to see how well you do know the laws. You could be the best guy in the world but don't act like your not trying to send messages - on its face this does not look like a simple mismanagement of a business but a bookie who loses his money in the NFC championship game and even though he is broke he takes all bets in the Super Bowl hoping to win in order to pay out. In that situation there would be mob justice - since this is a "business" operation I guarantee the authorities would be interested despite how "much better" you know the laws then us. Hope you know the laws better than the Feds. After reading this I wouldn't care if your software was the best I have ever seen - wouldn't go near your company. I also hope Joe doesn't keep defending this guy - his now second references to bankruptcy shatters all credibility IMO - of course I am not a consumer (thank goodness) but a mere spectator in the court of message board opinion - for whatever that is worth!
:thumbup: I'm taken back by some of his posts that tries to legitimize his actions. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm also not stupid. It looks like a scam to me. Now he's back peddling and trying pass this off as an honest business venture, when in reality it was a scam from the beginning. Maybe now he should invest in plenty of Vasoline.

And what worries me is that business like yours is going to cause lawmakers and congressman to look into $ff and then make it more difficult for the little guy to continue with their honest business.
That worries me too. One big-enough example of people yelling "fraud" can be enough to get the government involved.

I don't blame anyone for being mad at me or AFFL.Plain and simple, we screwed up. We are working fast to correct it, and I am sure that we will be able to soon.We really are good people, a good company, and provide a good product.I am sorry for everyone affected by our situation.
I think it's admirable that you are on the forums openly discussing the problem but I do have one question for you. When you saw that there was going to be a shortfall in the number of entrants, why didn't you simply cancel the event? It should have been obvious from the start that there wasn't going to be enough money.Wayne

Plain and simple, we screwed up. We are working fast to correct it, and I am sure that we will be able to soon.

I think it's admirable that you are on the forums openly discussing the problem but I do have one question for you. When you saw that there was going to be a shortfall in the number of entrants, why didn't you simply cancel the event? It should have been obvious from the start that there wasn't going to be enough money.Wayne
Precisely !!, thus the reason why I think it was a scam from the beginning. Like Kiddnets said, it's a bookie type of action, where someone takes bets without having the money to back up those bets in the event things do go as planned. Isn't that illegal?

:thumbup: And you are poor self evaluators. Come clean, did you put all the money on the Pats or what?

Well, we are going to do the traditional advertising in the fantasy magazines (which we went away from last year), as well as some online advertising.

We are diversifying with our commissioner product, and adding some low stakes, high margin games.

We are working on one more thing to bring in a lot of new customers, but I cannot talk about it on this forum (competitive advantage and all).

I am expecting a decrease in retention rate of around 20%. We normally operate from 80 to 85 % retention rate, and I would expect around 60% for next year.
I would raise the rates on anyway willing to stay.

I wanted to give everyone advance notice of the message board going down Sunday (2/17) through Saturday (2/23).

I feel that it is necessary as we will be meeting with several investors next week, and I don't want to spook any of them.
LinkI've got no horse in this race, but I wouldn't be optimistic if I did. I agree with bagger, there appears to have been gross mismanagement at several levels that lead to this problem. I thought it was honorable for the owner to own up to everything that happened and keep some sort of communication with customers, but shutting down the message board for a week during this critical time seems like a bad decision for someone who should be acutely concerned with customer perception. Justifying it because you don't want to spook investors seems misguided at best and deceitful at worse. I'd think a potential investor deserves to see exactly what is going on with your users, however embarrassed you may be about it.

I hope this all works out, the owner seems like his heart is in the right place and the people owed money clearly deserve to be paid, but realistically it doesn't look good from my perspective. Good luck to those involved.
Looks like he deleted all the posts about this incident (including the one quoted above) from his general forum and locked the remaining ones. :thumbup: Yet another bad decision that, if someone were to believe you were being dishonest, could easily be misconstrued as a dishonest gesture to trick an investor into bailing you out without knowing the true extent of the situation.

Looks like he deleted all the posts about this incident (including the one quoted above) from his general forum and locked the remaining ones. :wall: Yet another bad decision that, if someone were to believe you were being dishonest, could easily be misconstrued as a dishonest gesture to trick an investor into bailing you out without knowing the true extent of the situation.
:thumbup: My take as well, but I didn't have the :censored: to post it.

But thats my take, than He gets out of it in a legal mess.

Again :wall:

Looks like he deleted all the posts about this incident (including the one quoted above) from his general forum and locked the remaining ones. :thumbdown: Yet another bad decision that, if someone were to believe you were being dishonest, could easily be misconstrued as a dishonest gesture to trick an investor into bailing you out without knowing the true extent of the situation.
:lmao: My take as well, but I didn't have the :censored: to post it.

But thats my take, than He gets out of it in a legal mess.

Again :lmao:
All this is, is sugar coated fraud. There's no other way to describe it. How anyone could describe it differently is beyond me.

I don't know a thing about AFFL....but I do have an opinion after reading this thread and what I have seen on the AFFL message boards as well.Neil, let me get this straight....you are staking everything on the possibility of someone paying you in excess of $850,000 for some sort of cutting edge commissioner technology? I'm not questioning the potential value of such a product, however I am questioning the depth of the potential investor pool. Clearly AFFL runs at a loss. I don't think that point can be argued and you have confirmed that fact. So any interest from any potential investor is going to come from someone that doesn't want to invest money in developing their own commissioner software. They cannot be depending on any sort of meaningful subscription retention for a site that is already running in the red. Your name has been forever tainted for all and forever ruined for some at this point (like it or not it has) so there is little to no value in the name AFFL.Why you ever would have co-mingled contest prize funds with working capital is beyond comprehension. You knew prior to the start of the season that you would not be able to pay out the promised prize money based on your paid participation. The mid season contest is simply inexcusable- you knew weeks before that you were going to be unable to pay out the contest money at the end of the season without a cash infusion. I don't know you at all Neil and I do believe you at one time probably ran a good site that people enjoyed. But what you have done this year is dishonest and you are asking people to trust you while not stating the true facts- you have known since September that you were not going to be able to pay the prize money for this year unless you were able to find a buyer/investor for your software product. Joe.....I don't expect you to answer this question- but is your defense of Neil in any way related to your potential interest in his software product? No disrespect intended, just curious.
Guys, First of all, can we put this notion to bed that Joe "continues to" defend AFFL and Neil? I (Wood, not Joe) put the first comments out that, given the severity of the claims, we needed to tread carefully and get confirmation of the details from both sides before this thread took on a life of its own. Shortly thereafter Joe agreed and said as much. That's IT.Since then I think all parties have handled themselves well and, frankly, that's why we've kept open the thread. Were this simply a thread for people to complain, as most of you know we would've closed it down long ago. But it's the very nature of the SEVERITY of the situation and its potential impact on the broader fantasy football world that warrants it staying open.Second, Joe's "defense" of Neil (not that I can see how you can call it that) has nothing to do with any kind of financial interest (present or future) in Neil's business or in procurement of any software. We have been consistent in our belief that league management, hosting and high stakes contests are not in our wheelhouse; and learned a valuable lesson through the FFTOC situation a few years ago. While league management, hosting and high stakes leagues have a place at the table broadly speaking, we're comfortable letting other people handle those avenues because the risk/return potential just doesn't fit into what we're trying to accomplish. Third. As this story unfolds, it's impossible not to come to some personal conclusions about the likelihood of the AFFL righting itself and/or whether they'll be able to secure outside financing. As many of you may know, I'm a portfolio manager and in addition to investing directly in a number of venture capital firms, have a great many friends on the venture and buyout sides of the business. Banger (and others) bring up very realistic concerns and comments; and were I involved in this personally as someone owed money; I would take all the comments in this thread under serious consideration.Fourth. Although I don't proclaim to know what kind of software Neil and his company have developed, I DO know quite a bit about software valuation. While I may have STRONG feelings about whether Neil's particular expectations for the value of his code are reasonable, I see no point in declaring them here because a) I'm not investing in it, b) his opinions won't matter soon enough. Either he'll convince someone to provide him the financing or he won't. And there will be repercussions to deal with.I think we can continue to have this thread open as it seems there are plenty of people on our forums involved in some way. That said, I would ask that any criticisms of Neil or AFFL not be unfairly twisted into some unfounded declaration that we're "defending" his actions, past or present. The easiest thing for us to do would've been to delete the thread and say that this isn't something we feel should be discussed on our boards; but we haven't yet because, again, people have generally been civil and reasonable on both sides so far.Wood

Guys, seriously...the fastest way to have this thread locked and AFFL discussions tabled permanently is to come in and post YouTube videos and to make light of the situation. It's serious with serious repercussions, but the notion that this suddenly opens the door to us allowing personal attacks as a result is flawed.

I don't know a thing about AFFL....but I do have an opinion after reading this thread and what I have seen on the AFFL message boards as well.Neil, let me get this straight....you are staking everything on the possibility of someone paying you in excess of $850,000 for some sort of cutting edge commissioner technology? I'm not questioning the potential value of such a product, however I am questioning the depth of the potential investor pool. Clearly AFFL runs at a loss. I don't think that point can be argued and you have confirmed that fact. So any interest from any potential investor is going to come from someone that doesn't want to invest money in developing their own commissioner software. They cannot be depending on any sort of meaningful subscription retention for a site that is already running in the red. Your name has been forever tainted for all and forever ruined for some at this point (like it or not it has) so there is little to no value in the name AFFL.Why you ever would have co-mingled contest prize funds with working capital is beyond comprehension. You knew prior to the start of the season that you would not be able to pay out the promised prize money based on your paid participation. The mid season contest is simply inexcusable- you knew weeks before that you were going to be unable to pay out the contest money at the end of the season without a cash infusion. I don't know you at all Neil and I do believe you at one time probably ran a good site that people enjoyed. But what you have done this year is dishonest and you are asking people to trust you while not stating the true facts- you have known since September that you were not going to be able to pay the prize money for this year unless you were able to find a buyer/investor for your software product. Joe.....I don't expect you to answer this question- but is your defense of Neil in any way related to your potential interest in his software product? No disrespect intended, just curious.
Guys, First of all, can we put this notion to bed that Joe "continues to" defend AFFL and Neil? I (Wood, not Joe) put the first comments out that, given the severity of the claims, we needed to tread carefully and get confirmation of the details from both sides before this thread took on a life of its own. Shortly thereafter Joe agreed and said as much. That's IT.Since then I think all parties have handled themselves well and, frankly, that's why we've kept open the thread. Were this simply a thread for people to complain, as most of you know we would've closed it down long ago. But it's the very nature of the SEVERITY of the situation and it's potential impact on the broader fantasy football world that warrants it staying open.Second, Joe's "defense" of Neil (not that I can see how you can call it that) has nothing to do with any kind of financial interest (present or future) in Neil's business or in procurement of any software. We have been consistent in our belief that league management, hosting and high stakes contests are not in our wheelhouse; and learned a valuable lesson through the FFTOC situation a few years ago. While league management, hosting and high stakes leagues have a place at the table broadly speaking, we're comfortable letting other people handle those avenues because the risk/return potential just doesn't fit into what we're trying to accomplish. Third. As this story unfolds, it's impossible not to come to some personal conclusions about the likelihood of the AFFL righting itself and/or whether they'll be able to secure outside financing. As many of you may know, I'm a portfolio manager and in addition to investing directly in a number of venture capital firms, have a great many friends on the venture and buyout sides of the business. Banger (and others) bring up very realistic concerns and comments; and were I involved in this personally as someone owed money; I would take all the comments in this thread under serious consideration.Fourth. Although I don't proclaim to know what kind of software Neil and his company have developed, I DO know quite a bit about software valuation. While I may have STRONG feelings about whether Neil's particular expectations for the value of his code are reasonable, I see no point in declaring them here because a) I'm not investing in it, b) his opinions won't matter soon enough. Either he'll convince someone to provide him the financing or he won't. And there will be repercussions to deal with.I think we can continue to have this thread open as it seems there are plenty of people on our forums involved in some way. That said, I would ask that any criticisms of Neil or AFFL not be unfairly twisted into some unfounded declaration that we're "defending" his actions, past or present. The easiest thing for us to do would've been to delete the thread and say that this isn't something we feel should be discussed on our boards; but we haven't yet because, again, people have generally been civil and reasonable on both sides so far.Wood
Jason, I think we all find it highly curious why threads ABOUND here that rip one company or another for their failure to treat their customers fairly, but here, you and Joe seem to be tripping all over yourselves to give these guys latitude. You've both gotten totally worked up on the semantics over whether the title should say "reneging" or "delaying, and you're even hinting at how this thread may be a borderline case to lock up. Whether it's Walmart or CBS or DirecTV, you guys have never raised so much as an eyebrow when we've come to complain. But, here, you guys are clearly treating it with the tender care you'd otherwise reserve for fine china.I think it does call into question what relationship you guys personally--and FBG professionally--have with this outfit that is clearly hoping to hit the lottery with loans/investors to pay out their dues. I'm not entirely confident that you're the ones being objective here in response to this despicable situation.

Guys, seriously...the fastest way to have this thread locked and AFFL discussions tabled permanently is to come in and post YouTube videos and to make light of the situation. It's serious with serious repercussions, but the notion that this suddenly opens the door to us allowing personal attacks as a result is flawed.
You guys are seriously being way too sensitive about this issue and defending this company. I'm really curious how this came to be so.

Precisely !!, thus the reason why I think it was a scam from the beginning. Like Kiddnets said, it's a bookie type of action, where someone takes bets without having the money to back up those bets in the event things do go as planned. Isn't that illegal?
sounds like its right out of Charles Ponzi's playbook

Using the term "delay" implies that everone will get paid eventually. As of the last update, there is no third party who has agreed to provide funding. How is this not a flat out lie at worst and extremely misleading at best?

If people ever do get paid, I wonder if they will have a "late payment fee" added on? You know, like when I "delay" paying any of my bills.

Guys, First of all, can we put this notion to bed that Joe "continues to" defend AFFL and Neil? I (Wood, not Joe) put the first comments out that, given the severity of the claims, we needed to tread carefully and get confirmation of the details from both sides before this thread took on a life of its own. Shortly thereafter Joe agreed and said as much. That's IT.Since then I think all parties have handled themselves well and, frankly, that's why we've kept open the thread. Were this simply a thread for people to complain, as most of you know we would've closed it down long ago. But it's the very nature of the SEVERITY of the situation and it's potential impact on the broader fantasy football world that warrants it staying open.Second, Joe's "defense" of Neil (not that I can see how you can call it that) has nothing to do with any kind of financial interest (present or future) in Neil's business or in procurement of any software. We have been consistent in our belief that league management, hosting and high stakes contests are not in our wheelhouse; and learned a valuable lesson through the FFTOC situation a few years ago. While league management, hosting and high stakes leagues have a place at the table broadly speaking, we're comfortable letting other people handle those avenues because the risk/return potential just doesn't fit into what we're trying to accomplish. Third. As this story unfolds, it's impossible not to come to some personal conclusions about the likelihood of the AFFL righting itself and/or whether they'll be able to secure outside financing. As many of you may know, I'm a portfolio manager and in addition to investing directly in a number of venture capital firms, have a great many friends on the venture and buyout sides of the business. Banger (and others) bring up very realistic concerns and comments; and were I involved in this personally as someone owed money; I would take all the comments in this thread under serious consideration.Fourth. Although I don't proclaim to know what kind of software Neil and his company have developed, I DO know quite a bit about software valuation. While I may have STRONG feelings about whether Neil's particular expectations for the value of his code are reasonable, I see no point in declaring them here because a) I'm not investing in it, b) his opinions won't matter soon enough. Either he'll convince someone to provide him the financing or he won't. And there will be repercussions to deal with.I think we can continue to have this thread open as it seems there are plenty of people on our forums involved in some way. That said, I would ask that any criticisms of Neil or AFFL not be unfairly twisted into some unfounded declaration that we're "defending" his actions, past or present. The easiest thing for us to do would've been to delete the thread and say that this isn't something we feel should be discussed on our boards; but we haven't yet because, again, people have generally been civil and reasonable on both sides so far.Wood
Jason, I think we all find it highly curious why threads ABOUND here that rip one company or another for their failure to treat their customers fairly, but here, you and Joe seem to be tripping all over yourselves to give these guys latitude. You've both gotten totally worked up on the semantics over whether the title should say "reneging" or "delaying, and you're even hinting at how this thread may be a borderline case to lock up. Whether it's Walmart or CBS or DirecTV, you guys have never raised so much as an eyebrow when we've come to complain. But, here, you guys are clearly treating it with the tender care you'd otherwise reserve for fine china.I think it does call into question what relationship you guys personally--and FBG professionally--have with this outfit that is clearly hoping to hit the lottery with loans/investors to pay out their dues. I'm not entirely confident that you're the ones being objective here in response to this despicable situation.
1) Wal-Mart, DirecTV and CBS are major corporations that serves millions (or in Wal-Mart's case, billions) of people. What's said on a message board has little to no discernible impact on them, or how they run their businesses. They're also not people. Last time I checked, Lee Scott, Chase Carey and Les Moonves aren't reading our forums or participating, nor are any of the threads you mentioned assailing their personal character.2) Neil (who I've never met, nor do I know anything about AFFL's operations having never participated in the league) has come onto this thread and personally addressed the issues. He's made himself available for criticism. 3) Our collective influence relative to Wal-Mart, DirecTV or CBS is insignificant. Our collective influence on the fantasy football community; particularly things like high stakes leagues (where a decent chunk of our subscribers seem to participate) has significance. 4) Reprimanding Neil's assumptions for a recovery or his decisions up until this point are fair game (and haven't been deleted). But personal attacks on a guy or YouTube videos of a woman getting slapped silly in a wedding don't fly in this instance OR ANY OTHER. Honestly, it comes down to this. If you want this thread to stay open as a place where people can keep the situation updated and voice their concerns; keep the personal affronts or mockery to a minimum. Otherwise it'll get deleted like every other thread of its kind in the Shark Pool does.

And one last thing...I've changed the title again.

Recall that when we changed the title, it was literally minutes after it was posted. We didn't know then whether it was even true. Now I think it's fair to say that there are serious financial issues at play; regardless of whether they find some way to extricate themselves. I've changed to title to indicate the seriousness of the situation.

Using the term "delay" implies that everone will get paid eventually. As of the last update, there is no third party who has agreed to provide funding. How is this not a flat out lie at worst and extremely misleading at best?

If people ever do get paid, I wonder if they will have a "late payment fee" added on? You know, like when I "delay" paying any of my bills.
As of right now, it is totally and completely accurate to characterize it as "reneging." Far more accurate, actually, than to say payment is being "delayed." Just because the guy with the gun to his head says he intends to pay up does not necessarily mean he is delaying payment. He doesn't have any money with which to delay payment in the first place.I've got to say openly, but to Jason and Joe in particular, I'm really bothered by how this is being treated by you guys, holding the specter of locking up this thread over everyone's head when there is clearly a legitimate gripe and reason to trash this company right and left. You allow it almost universally in every other circumstance, but not here. I think we all know you guys have your favorites and work closely with a lot of folks in the industry. But, the threat of censorship on this issue seems way out of place, given what facts are out on the table right now and what how irresponsibly AFFL has conducted their business affairs. Again, I'm really interested to hear why you two are behaving differently on this thread compared to the countless others that are out there bashing this company or that company.

I also hope Joe doesn't keep defending this guy - his now second references to bankruptcy shatters all credibility IMO - of course I am not a consumer (thank goodness) but a mere spectator in the court of message board opinion - for whatever that is worth!
Don't get confused. I have never defended the AFFL. When they said they were delaying their payments, I took them at their word and changed the thread title to say they were delaying. That's far from defending.I don't know them and know nothing about them. In fact, all I know is that they're causing non NFL threads to be in the Shark Pool and that's not cool. I will fix that soon.J

Sorry but you're wrong. Please show me anything remotely close to "tripping over ourselves" to show them latitude. They annouced they were delaying payment. A thread comes up that says they are reneging on payments. I changed it to delay. That's it.I don't know these guys at all. I don't know anything about their business situation. For the good of all that played their contest, I truly hope they get things worked out as I've said earlier.That's it. Don't read anything into something that isn't there. Thanks.J

1) Wal-Mart, DirecTV and CBS are major corporations that serves millions (or in Wal-Mart's case, billions) of people. What's said on a message board has little to no discernible impact on them, or how they run their businesses. They're also not people. Last time I checked, Lee Scott, Chase Carey and Les Moonves aren't reading our forums or participating, nor are any of the threads you mentioned assailing their personal character.2) Neil (who I've never met, nor do I know anything about AFFL's operations having never participated in the league) has come onto this thread and personally addressed the issues. He's made himself available for criticism. 3) Our collective influence relative to Wal-Mart, DirecTV or CBS is insignificant. Our collective influence on the fantasy football community; particularly things like high stakes leagues (where a decent chunk of our subscribers seem to participate) has significance. 4) Reprimanding Neil's assumptions for a recovery or his decisions up until this point are fair game (and haven't been deleted). But personal attacks on a guy or YouTube videos of a woman getting slapped silly in a wedding don't fly in this instance OR ANY OTHER. Honestly, it comes down to this. If you want this thread to stay open as a place where people can keep the situation updated and voice their concerns; keep the personal affronts or mockery to a minimum. Otherwise it'll get deleted like every other thread of its kind in the Shark Pool does.
That's fair. All of it. So, you're stating here that FBGs have no direct financial interests--present or future--in AFFL? That this is purely related to the perceived potential impact of this messageboard on how the events with AFFL may play out and that you want to keep Neil from being personally beaten up like a pinata here? If so, that seems totally reasonable. But, if you have a vested stake in AFFL, I think that should be characterized in some form or fashion.

That's fair. All of it. So, you're stating here that FBGs have no direct financial interests--present or future--in AFFL? That this is purely related to the perceived potential impact of this messageboard on how the events with AFFL may play out and that you want to keep Neil from being personally beaten up like a pinata here? If so, that seems totally reasonable. But, if you have a vested stake in AFFL, I think that should be characterized in some form or fashion.
We have zero direct financial interests in AFFL. Other than I hope they make it so they can pay all the people that they owe.To add, if we wanted to buy their software, I'd better off if they did declare bankruptcy. J

Prediction:

AFFL goes bankrupt, and all the "winners" of these contests get to enter into a new contest... one called "being a creditor to a bankrupted company".

AFFL will sell off its assets including the aforementioned software, computer hardware and anything else that belongs to the company. Each creditor will get paid a portion of their "winnings", probably in the 25% range after legal fees.

GLLLLL.

I think Joe already covered this, but neither he, David nor I (nor any other FBG for that matter although I can't say as though I've surveyed the rest of them :) ) have any financial interest in the AFFL or Neil (I don't even know his last name) past, present or future.Clear enough?

Users who are viewing this thread