What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Al Saunders to be named Lions HC... (1 Viewer)

Captain Blowhard

Footballguy
There's an article at the KC scout.com board and hot gossip in Detroit that Al Saunders was interviewed for the Lion HC spot this past week and will be named coach of the Lions Monday. The story goes that apparently Millen skirted the minority hiring thing by doing a phone interview with Carthon.Anyone hear about this? Can anyone add anything more of substance to it?

I don't believe a phone interview would qualify. I don't believe Millen will skirt any minority hiring rules.I don't think Carthon was exceptional when he coached the Lions O so I wouldn't envision them hiring him anyhow.

Jerry Jones skirted the minority rule when he hired Parcells by conducting a phone interview with Denny Green.

Jerry Jones skirted the minority rule when he hired Parcells by conducting a phone interview with Denny Green.
You're right , he did. However I think the league came out after that and said that no longer did phone interviews qualify as an official interview of a minority candidate.Having said that, and having no faith in Millen, it wouldn't shock me if he gets in trouble again with this situation..

You're right , he did. However I think the league came out after that and said that no longer did phone interviews qualify as an official interview of a minority candidate.Having said that, and having no faith in Millen, it wouldn't shock me if he gets in trouble again with this situation..
This might be enough to get him fired ;) FWIW, I don't like the hire despite being both a Lions and Chiefs fan. Ford should have looked at defense first, and while Sanders is a decent offensive mind, who has he really developed?

Last edited by a moderator:
The minority rule is bs. The most qualified guy should get the job. Has nothing to do w/skin color.

The minority rule is bs. The most qualified guy should get the job. Has nothing to do w/skin color.
:goodposting: If a team is dumb enough to pass on a good minority coach and instead they hire a bad white coach, then they are simply hurting themselves.

Hello those who did not hire Marvin Lewis when he was a great HC candidate during his D-coord days in Baltimore. My team the Bills comes to mind. What happened to the Bills in the last few years?

Whether there is a minority rule or not, if a team does not want a minority coach, they won't hire him even if the interview is great.

JJ also gave Denny about 100 grand just for the bogus interview!

Would Anthony Munoz qualify under the minority rule? The Titans said they hired a minority with Norm Chow.

Ah, guys....If this truly happened before the Chiefs' season was over, Detroit would get the hell fined out of them in money/draft picks for tampering.You can't even make reference to people who are under the contract of another team while in season.Either this report is completely stupid, or Millen REALLY wants Al Saunders and is willing to pay out the ### for him.

Ah, guys....

If this truly happened before the Chiefs' season was over, Detroit would get the hell fined out of them in money/draft picks for tampering.

You can't even make reference to people who are under the contract of another team while in season.

Either this report is completely stupid, or Millen REALLY wants Al Saunders and is willing to pay out the ### for him.
On some KC boards they were reporting that the Lions asked for permission to talk to Saunders and were granted permission. Hence, no problem. This is pretty standard when a head coaching job is up for grabs and one of the coordinators or lower ranking coaches is up for the job. Most of the time, teams allow it, and especially in Saunder's case, where he's been a coach and friend of Vermeil's a long time.

Ah, guys....

If this truly happened before the Chiefs' season was over, Detroit would get the hell fined out of them in money/draft picks for tampering.

You can't even make reference to people who are under the contract of another team while in season.

Either this report is completely stupid, or Millen REALLY wants Al Saunders and is willing to pay out the ### for him.
On some KC boards they were reporting that the Lions asked for permission to talk to Saunders and were granted permission. Hence, no problem. This is pretty standard when a head coaching job is up for grabs and one of the coordinators or lower ranking coaches is up for the job. Most of the time, teams allow it, and especially in Saunder's case, where he's been a coach and friend of Vermeil's a long time.
I would be IMMENSELY surprised if this actually happened. It makes no sense for Saunders to interview a week before their possible playoff elimination game, rather than after.But I suppose anything is possible.

Users who are viewing this thread