What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All Android/Google All the Time (1 Viewer)

Went with PocketCast. It's great, though my cheap ### probably would've rather tried a couple more of the free one's first, like Beyond Pod.

Podcast Addict was so horrible that I didn't feel like fiddling with another free one. It gave me a headache just trying to get around it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Went with PocketCast. It's great, though my cheap ### probably would've rather tried a couple more of the free one's first, like Beyond Pod.

Podcast Addict was so horrible that I didn't feel like fiddling with another free one. It gave me a headache just trying to get around it.
I had tried BeyondPod for a bit first before settling on PocketCast. I can't remember all the reasons I ended up liking PC so much more, but I do remember that it just seemed cleaner with a better interface.

I've never felt the need to try out another.

I'm sure it's covered in other threads, but what do you guys use for podcasts?

I've got TuneIn, but that's just streaming right? No downloading?

I was probably going to get PocketCast. Do all these podcast apps pretty much have access to all podcasts?

I would really only care about the main sports stuff, NPR/ATC, Maron, Nerdist, and America's Test Kitchen. They'd all have all that right?
I used to use PocketCast and really liked it, but I've been using Podcast Addict more as of late and I like it a slight bit better. It seems to me to have a simpler cleaner interface.

I'm sure it's covered in other threads, but what do you guys use for podcasts?

I've got TuneIn, but that's just streaming right? No downloading?

I was probably going to get PocketCast. Do all these podcast apps pretty much have access to all podcasts?

I would really only care about the main sports stuff, NPR/ATC, Maron, Nerdist, and America's Test Kitchen. They'd all have all that right?
I used to use PocketCast and really liked it, but I've been using Podcast Addict more as of late and I like it a slight bit better. It seems to me to have a simpler cleaner interface.
It's probably because I'm a little slow and it was the first real podcast app I tried, but PA confused the hell out of me.

So I noticed a real issue with my battery the last few days. I was draining at rapid levels. Couldnt figure it out and then I remembered I put the Google now widget on. Took it off and went back to normal. Great widget but what a battery hog

I don't like the new Dolphin browser. When I try to post in a FBG thread, the onscreen keyboard now blocks the reply field from view.

I don't like the new Dolphin browser. When I try to post in a FBG thread, the onscreen keyboard now blocks the reply field from view.
use the FBG app and access the forums from there, it works much better.

I have the same issue with my browser of choice... Boat Browser

I use Doggcatcher for podcasts. At the time I found it, it was one of the few that allowed you to speed things up (albeit with another app). I listen to all my podcasts at 2x (and I'm still 2 months behind).

I just activated the Voice # -> Hangouts option - Voice has always been a bit buggy and it isn't getting much in the way of updates, while Hangouts is getting regular updates. My voice SMSs always seem to be delayed or behind anyways.
wait.. you listen to your podcasts in double speed? does it sound like the guy from the Micro Machines commercial the whole time?

What's up with Boat and Dolphin Browsers?

I'm the sort of idiot that used IE well after after everyone had moved on to Firefox. Have all the cool kids moved on from Chrome now too?

What's up with Boat and Dolphin Browsers?

I'm the sort of idiot that used IE well after after everyone had moved on to Firefox. Have all the cool kids moved on from Chrome now too?
Boat just had better functions to me at the time I purchased the pro version of it. it had syncing with firefox for bookmarks, it had cloud sync with its own bookmarks for multiple android devices, it was just cool.

Another noteworthy browser is Puffin... ultra-fast and runs flash.

I didn't like Chrome very much... felt low feature-ish to me.. maybe it has gotten better, but i prefer Boat.

i got pocket cast when it was free , luckily

download dolphin jetpack from the play store

I use Doggcatcher for podcasts. At the time I found it, it was one of the few that allowed you to speed things up (albeit with another app). I listen to all my podcasts at 2x (and I'm still 2 months behind).

I just activated the Voice # -> Hangouts option - Voice has always been a bit buggy and it isn't getting much in the way of updates, while Hangouts is getting regular updates. My voice SMSs always seem to be delayed or behind anyways.
wait.. you listen to your podcasts in double speed? does it sound like the guy from the Micro Machines commercial the whole time?
Not really, it's not quite like speeding things up in analog, the software does a pretty good job of keeping the pitch where it should be, it's just faster. It does make them sound different, when I listen to them in normal time I have to do a little double-take that that is what they are "supposed" to sound like. If it's a particularly meaty topic, a guest has a heavy accent or if there is music involved, I'll slow it back down so that I can catch it properly, but you'd be surprised how close to "normal" it sounds. I wouldn't jump straight to 2X though, I'd start at like 1.25X, then 1.5X, then to 2X.

I've listened at 1.5 speed before and it is real easy to keep up, surprising how fast our brain can process things if we give it a chance.

Just saw the Note commercial during SNF, it is pretty amazing how Samsung went from copycat patent infringing second fiddle to leading the way in the mobile space in a few short years. (I've never owned a Galaxy or an iPhone, but have been entertained by the back and forth between the two companies in the press and in the courts). Samsung has mastered the art of throwing a hundred pieces of #### against the wall and seeing what sticks, then perfecting that piece. They may not make as much cake as Apple, but kudos to them for taking us from A to D.

I am one of the few people who don't want/need to have a 6in screen on a phone. Not happy with any of the current offerings available on VZW

I am one of the few people who don't want/need to have a 6in screen on a phone. Not happy with any of the current offerings available on VZW
check out unlocked phones on amazon

I think you'd like anything in the "mini" category like the Galaxy s4 or s5 mini, the Sony Xperia compact, the HTC Mini's

Yeah, the VZW options are kind of rough for people that want a smaller, simpler phone (but not an iPhone).

They do have the Moto X 2013 (for a penny with 2 year agreement). It's got a 4.7" screen (though they bumped the new version up half an inch of course) and doesn't have as much in the way of specs/bells/whistles and pre-installed stuff.

I just became eligible and looked at the 2013 X and a few of the minis but wasn't enthused about another 2yr commit for last year's models. Planning to root whatever I get anyway. I'll probably shop around a bit.

I generally just use TuneIn as well, but may have to check out these podcast apps.
tunein is awesome but it's nice to have an app that downloads when you are at home on wifi and then you can play offline when you are in your car and not wanting to burn data (if you have a limited plan) or are driving through an area with spotty connection.

does anyone know how to use a lock screen wallpaper or widgets in 4.4.2? Have an HTC One M7 if that helps. I have "enabled lock screen widgets" and also tried to add a "custom lock screen wallpaper" but nothing happens. Same old crappy lock screen as always. I am on Sense 6 and run Nova launcher though that shouldn't matter

So when are they going to release the new Nexus phones and Android L? I'm due for an upgrade but would hate to do it right before all the new stuff comes out.

Also is there any way to put a simple stop watch on your lock screen on Android 4.4? There are a bunch of apps called "lock screen stopwatch" and whatnot but I haven't been able to get any of them working.

does anyone know how to use a lock screen wallpaper or widgets in 4.4.2? Have an HTC One M7 if that helps. I have "enabled lock screen widgets" and also tried to add a "custom lock screen wallpaper" but nothing happens. Same old crappy lock screen as always. I am on Sense 6 and run Nova launcher though that shouldn't matter
I use Widget Locker with this same setup/phone. It seems to work nicely. Need to download Tesla plugin in order to see unread counts on WL.

So when are they going to release the new Nexus phones and Android L? I'm due for an upgrade but would hate to do it right before all the new stuff comes out.
Not much info out there about this but the past two years they have announced in October and released in November.

I just listened to the Audible at 2x in DoggCatcher. I think I am hooked on this feature.
no kidding.. does it really turn a 60 min podcast into 30 min?

I mean i could see this working.. in an hour podcast there is generally 15 minutes of decent information and then 45 minutes of complete and total bullcrap... bantering, etc... and I realize someone listening to a podcast is probably looking for banter... otherwise they would just read an article with similar information in 5-8 minutes... or even a transcript of said podcast.

But this didn't feel rushed?

I just listened to the Audible at 2x in DoggCatcher. I think I am hooked on this feature.
no kidding.. does it really turn a 60 min podcast into 30 min?

I mean i could see this working.. in an hour podcast there is generally 15 minutes of decent information and then 45 minutes of complete and total bullcrap... bantering, etc... and I realize someone listening to a podcast is probably looking for banter... otherwise they would just read an article with similar information in 5-8 minutes... or even a transcript of said podcast.

But this didn't feel rushed?
For podcast that you aren't hanging onto every word it seems to work.

Ok. I tried this out. 1.5 was the fastest I could take without it sounding stupid, and 1.3 was better, but I do appreciate the time saving suggestion and plan to use it moving forward.

Dentist said:
Ok. I tried this out. 1.5 was the fastest I could take without it sounding stupid, and 1.3 was better, but I do appreciate the time saving suggestion and plan to use it moving forward.
Yep. Thanks guys. You are all a bunch of GD geniuses.

It never would've occurred to me, but it's awesome. 1.3-1.4 is more my speed for now, but then I'm not the sharpest knife in the shed.

I went to Best Buy last night so I could handle some phones that were similar in size to the new iPhones. I played around with the G3 and really liked it. I almost bought one today and likely will this week. Just need to decide if I'm staying with sprint. I noticed its not running the most current version of Android. Is there a big difference in the versions? I read that LG is slow to update. Will my software be outdated the moment I buy the phone?

Anyone having issues with group MMS messages using Hangouts? I keep getting "Couldn't download message".

Annoying

the moops said:
Anyone having issues with group MMS messages using Hangouts? I keep getting "Couldn't download message".

Annoying
I've had this issue with hangouts even when it is just one person sending an MMS, it usually happens when I'm in a bad T-Mobile service area. The crappy thing is it only gives you a window of like 48 hours to download when you get in a better service area. I'm pretty sure I've " lost" some nudie pics due to this :furious:

Not android/google related, but is there somewhere around here that you can find all of the :smilie: symbols?

Anyone else using the Hangouts Dialer app? Seems like since I've had it, the Phone app is keeping my phone awake.

the moops said:

Annoying
I've had this issue with hangouts even when it is just one person sending an MMS, it usually happens when I'm in a bad T-Mobile service area. The crappy thing is it only gives you a window of like 48 hours to download when you get in a better service area. I'm pretty sure I've " lost" some nudie pics due to this :furious:
Do I need to resend that **** pic?

Users who are viewing this thread