What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (5 Viewers)

Cracking up in S2 now.

The Cop, Barb's Guy, Sweat Lodge, Black Guy and Stumpy are all out already.

So Spanished, who seems like he could comfortably stay in the wild for 1000s of years, is up against the Starving Christian, Potty Mouth, Hot Bear Lady and Vet Guy. 

It's like watching Tom Brady play peewee football for half a million.
Remember most of us watched these years ago, so I can’t really associate people with your nicknames for them.  But I do remember being pleased with the winner that season!

I'm just Hippling away over here.

Feels like all but one of the people left now is struggling while the other guy is building the QE2 out of wood.  And I can't remember any of their names.

There have many :confused:  moments through the years but...

Just what in the heck was the idea swimming in 56 degree weather, in 52 degree water going to accomplish?

Even if he found hunting  grounds was he planning on swimming with the kill across the water.. Or swim his entire camp over??

Neither one seems feasible, not to mention risking hyperthermia for very little gain. 

Just what in the heck was the idea swimming in 56 degree weather, in 52 degree water going to accomplish?

Even if he found hunting  grounds was he planning on swimming with the kill across the water.. Or swim his entire camp over??

Neither one seems feasible, not to mention risking hyperthermia for very little gain. 
I got the feeling that guy knows he isn’t in the running to win and just wants to get some “exploits” on tape. Good chance his last words on the show (and maybe ever) will be “watch this, y’all”.

Rustoleum said:
Is the “bear-banger” an optional item, or did they all get one specifically because of this location?
I believe in the first episode, and in prior seasons, they said the bear horn was provided automatically, without counting as one of your 10 items. Same as a standardized first aid kit. 

snogger said:

Rustoleum said:
I got the feeling that guy knows he isn’t in the running to win and just wants to get some “exploits” on tape. Good chance his last words on the show (and maybe ever) will be “watch this, y’all”.
I felt the same way as @Rustoleumsaid. He’s trying to be funny, eccentric, cool, etc. The swimming gig made zero sense other then he could do it. Kind of like the guy from a few seasons ago that climbed the mountain and worked out every morning. 

The swimming gig made zero sense other then he could do it...
Biko is in two bands and he's gotten numerous plugs on a national show.  I would imagine he's got social content that could use some views.

He may be the most entertaining contestant ever.

Can't say that nail-shank he forged has any use but it got him some air time.

Every second he gets on air is priceless promotion.  I mean if you have a bar and have the choice of hiring talent wouldn't you choose the guy who would bring in new cliental who would be curious to see Biko?  

He has the potential to get the most beneficial PR out of his time than any other contestant to date.  Heck he can do a merch line of forged nail-shanks that would sell like hot cakes.

Biko is in two bands and he's gotten numerous plugs on a national show.  I would imagine he's got social content that could use some views.

He may be the most entertaining contestant ever.

Can't say that nail-shank he forged has any use but it got him some air time.

Every second he gets on air is priceless promotion.  I mean if you have a bar and have the choice of hiring talent wouldn't you choose the guy who would bring in new cliental who would be curious to see Biko?  

He has the potential to get the most beneficial PR out of his time than any other contestant to date.  Heck he can do a merch line of forged nail-shanks that would sell like hot cakes.
Your probably right, but I find him more annoying than entertaining personally. 

Just watched tonight. 

Biko:  [cuts off the sleeves of his shirt]

Biko:  Now I am deciding what to do with these pieces of fabric.  Maybe I could make arm coozies with them...

Us, simultaneously:  You mean, sleeves?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
According to this graphic, three contestants did choose food rations including Michelle who looks to me to be the next one sent home because she's already lost too much weight.

A lot chose snarewire but we haven't seen too many traps set yet. I guess fishing while you can and set the traps when it gets colder?

Matt, water bottle over Ferro rod. hmmmm

According to this graphic, three contestants did choose food rations including Michelle who looks to me to be the next one sent home because she's already lost too much weight.

A lot chose snarewire but we haven't seen too many traps set yet. I guess fishing while you can and set the traps when it gets colder?

Matt, water bottle over Ferro rod. hmmmm
Interesting...thanks!

I wonder about some of these.

Knife vs Multi tool. I would think the multi tool includes a small knife so would be preferable, although not as large and stabby.

I would also think things like fero rod and snare wire would be automatic for these people...like a sleeping bag. No wasting energy trying to start a fire- plus, it seems like previous contestants have tapped out the second they lose the fero rod. I know these two this season have said they're comfortable without... I guess we'll see. And besides the obvious benefit of passive hunting (everybody brought fishing gear...why not land fishing too?), they're all using the wire for lots of other uses, including shelter construction. One of the more versatile tools available.

Water bottle? I guess to be able to store the water after you boil it and double up your capacity. Ok, I guess. But the pot already acts as possible water storage.

Professional bowler? 

Prehistoric leather phd :lol:

Anybody hear Peter Gabriel every time Bikos on screen. Lol at kristas sleeves comment. And yeah...one thing to hop in for a shpritz, but that swim was pure look at me idiocy.

Gotta say, these are the nicest collection of shelters I've seen on the show...other than kill all land animals woman, who doesnt seem to have more than a tarp over a branch at this point. Im looking forward to seeing where prehistoric leather phd pit house is at this point.

Also so far it feels like weve seen the least amount of hunting fishing- iirc, two fish shown caught amd one grouse. 

Interesting...thanks!

I wonder about some of these.

Knife vs Multi tool. I would think the multi tool includes a small knife so would be preferable, although not as large and stabby.

I would also think things like fero rod and snare wire would be automatic for these people...like a sleeping bag. No wasting energy trying to start a fire- plus, it seems like previous contestants have tapped out the second they lose the fero rod. I know these two this season have said they're comfortable without... I guess we'll see. And besides the obvious benefit of passive hunting (everybody brought fishing gear...why not land fishing too?), they're all using the wire for lots of other uses, including shelter construction. One of the more versatile tools available.

Water bottle? I guess to be able to store the water after you boil it and double up your capacity. Ok, I guess. But the pot already acts as possible water storage.

Professional bowler? 

Prehistoric leather phd :lol:

Anybody hear Peter Gabriel every time Bikos on screen. Lol at kristas sleeves comment. And yeah...one thing to hop in for a shpritz, but that swim was pure look at me idiocy.

Gotta say, these are the nicest collection of shelters I've seen on the show...other than kill all land animals woman, who doesnt seem to have more than a tarp over a branch at this point. Im looking forward to seeing where prehistoric leather phd pit house is at this point.

Also so far it feels like weve seen the least amount of hunting fishing- iirc, two fish shown caught amd one grouse. 
I agree that most are too focused on shelter building.  You can setup passive traps and fishing that allow you get food yet spend majority of time on shelter. 

I agree that most are too focused on shelter building.  You can setup passive traps and fishing that allow you get food yet spend majority of time on shelter. 
Theres a leitmotif this season of "do the heavy lifting (shelter building) while I've still got energy". Makes some sense. But i agree about setting snare and passive fishimg lines...unless ose teo require more time effort than they show.

And dont get me wrong-  I'm genuinely enjoying seeing the shelters.

And yeah...one thing to hop in for a shpritz, but that swim was pure look at me idiocy.
Thus far Biko is my least favorite character this season and maybe of all the seasons. The whole swimming thing ticked me off. I think the clock said he was on the other side for about 20 minutes when he declared it was no good and a waste of calories. 

I’m ready for him to go soon but he has a lot of calories to burn so he could make a long run.

Thus far Biko is my least favorite character this season and maybe of all the seasons. The whole swimming thing ticked me off. I think the clock said he was on the other side for about 20 minutes when he declared it was no good and a waste of calories. 

I’m ready for him to go soon but he has a lot of calories to burn so he could make a long run.
I always wonder about these free spirit type of people and whether they have the will and work ethic needed.  

Getting caught up on the last episode and is amazing in the difference of the lake where the guy is building the pier and the guy who built the boat. Is there anything that shows where each contestant is located on the lake? 

This season is shaping up to the most boring season since Sam as the winner. No one is getting food and just wading it out.... very disappointing with the contestants 

The walls, and door yes.  His tarp roof, not quite.  He would have needed something to help hold in heat once it got cold out.
I thought about that too and was wondering if covering it with boughs was going to be enough, then, well, other things happened and I wonder if he knew that wouldn’t be put to the test.

Surprised by the ending of this last episode. I thought he was set up to make a long run. 

Have to agree with @stlrams that it’s kind of disappointing so far. Hopefully the pier guy and boat guy are successful fishing.

From the highlights of upcoming episodes, it appears someone gets a deer.

The girl with the fake British accent better get busy with some food. She has put so much time into the shelter that I think it is going to backfire on her. 

Questions,  I got questions...

- what did pier guy do with pier after he used it? If he leaves that there the wood is going to rot. If he brings it back to shore every time, that seems like a huge calorie expenditure. 

- why does it seem like every contestant catches one fish and thinks they're all set? I get being grateful but you have to catch as many as you can while the fish are biting.

- squirrels? squirrels are protected? those little #######s?

- I know you can't hunt bear, but are you allowed to kill one in self defense? If the bear banger doesn't discourage them and they charge you, are you allowed to grab your bow and arrow as you soil yourself?

Surprised by the ending of this last episode. I thought he was set up to make a long run. 

Have to agree with @stlrams that it’s kind of disappointing so far. Hopefully the pier guy and boat guy are successful fishing.

From the highlights of upcoming episodes, it appears someone gets a deer.

The girl with the fake British accent better get busy with some food. She has put so much time into the shelter that I think it is going to backfire on her. 
I don’t get it.  Why isn’t anyone passive hunting?  Outside of some small rainbow, berries etc no one is eating and we are 14 days in...  

I don’t get it.  Why isn’t anyone passive hunting?  Outside of some small rainbow, berries etc no one is eating and we are 14 days in...  
Gosh you guys gotta just chill.  They only show about 10 minutes of each person and just look at the kill-all-animals lady who put out a fish trap and didn't catch anything, yaaaawn thrill'n footage wasn't it?  

Look up vids on YouTube of Jordan the winner of the 6th season where he breaks down every episode and explains that THEY DO A TON OF PASSIVE snaring/trapping and especially FISHING that never gets seen.  He went into detail about setting tons and tons and TONS of passive lines the very first day but the waves jumbled all of his hard work and how he had to learn how to set passive lines.  

So Chill Winston and get off the snatch of the English girl, jeebus. 

She originally is from Lander Wyoming.  My car blew up near Lander and got towed their in 2004 so I spent more time than anyone not expecting to spend any time in Lander has at least on these boards so I'm root'n for the Lander lady to get at least to the point where we seen the pit house get tested with winter temps.

- what did pier guy do with pier after he used it? If he leaves that there the wood is going to rot. If he brings it back to shore every time, that seems like a huge calorie expenditure. 

- why does it seem like every contestant catches one fish and thinks they're all set? I get being grateful but you have to catch as many as you can while the fish are biting.

- I know you can't hunt bear, but are you allowed to kill one in self defense? If the bear banger doesn't discourage them and they charge you, are you allowed to grab your bow and arrow as you soil yourself?
I can’t imagine that the pier is going to rot over the course of this season. I was more concerned of it tipping over in a big storm. I agree with you that it would be awful for him to bring it in and out every time he wants to fish.

Gosh you guys gotta just chill.  They only show about 10 minutes of each person and just look at the kill-all-animals lady who put out a fish trap and didn't catch anything, yaaaawn thrill'n footage wasn't it?  

Look up vids on YouTube of Jordan the winner of the 6th season where he breaks down every episode and explains that THEY DO A TON OF PASSIVE snaring/trapping and especially FISHING that never gets seen.  He went into detail about setting tons and tons and TONS of passive lines the very first day but the waves jumbled all of his hard work and how he had to learn how to set passive lines.  

So Chill Winston and get off the snatch of the English girl, jeebus. 

She originally is from Lander Wyoming.  My car blew up near Lander and got towed their in 2004 so I spent more time than anyone not expecting to spend any time in Lander has at least on these boards so I'm root'n for the Lander lady to get at least to the point where we seen the pit house get tested with winter temps.
Something about Lander gets me🥰

21 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Expand  
I can’t imagine that the pier is going to rot over the course of this season. I was more concerned of it tipping over in a big storm. I agree with you that it would be awful for him to bring it in and out every time he wants to fish.
Yeah...its not rotting in 40-50 days. Hes definitely leaving it out there- hes not going to risk daily hypothermia wading out.

My concern is when that thing gets covered in snow and ice- which is coming soon. That pier is going to be a giant slip n slide and dangerous as hell.

So surprised by the end of last night. But appreciate the thinking.

Other thoughts...

The walls, and door yes.  His tarp roof, not quite.  He would have needed something to help hold in heat once it got cold out.
I thought about that too and was wondering if covering it with boughs was going to be enough
As much as i flat out loved that cabin, like you guys i couldnt stop thinking about the roof and lack of R value. But assume it was a work in progress with insulation to come (less important than the himged door, i guess?).

If Colter is the naked dealing with terror guy...hfs. No gracias to any of that. Gotta say though- his personality comes across as a little goofy relative to the other contestants, but given the shelter (using existing rocks like last years winner), the boat and apparent abilities and attitude, hes a sneaky pick to win this thing. Im likimg him a lot.

Also liking pier guy (nick?) a lot, although his sage pearls of wisdom might get a little pedantic eventually...but so far he seems amazingly capable and a decent thoughtful dude.

Boring? :shrug: its people living in isolation in the wild. Aside from exploring their immediate environment, building their shelters and foraging/hunting for food... not much else going to happen aside from encounters with their animal neighbors. Seems like we get a little bit of all of that each episode, so not sure what else we're expecting here.  

Something about Lander gets me🥰
Lander is a bustling metropolis compared to Grey Bull Wyoming a place I discovered on a long road trip.  Out in the middle of nowhere, unkept, dusty, dry, but dirt cheap motels that run less than half of what you pay forty miles closer to Yellowstone.  Highly recommend if you want to save a few vacation dollars.

I was on the last legs of a looooooong singular road trip, heading back East just outside of Yellowstone when out of the corner of my eye I spy two young grizzly bears.

Notable because it was 'one' of my best grizzly bear sightings because momma joined them and they frolicked and played.  I watched for over a half hour and daylight was fading.  I was running late and a storm was-a-brewing so I took off not knowing where I'd land that night when a feint and familiar crackling came over the radio...

It was Sigmond Bloom doing a guest spot on some fantasy football show.  Overjoyed I pulled off the road just to hear.  Needless to say I didn't make much progress that night and stumbled upon Grey Bull Wyoming at the foot of the Big Horn Basin. 

I would head into the Big Horn the next summer at the solstice to take in Medicine Wheel an ancient astronomical rock placement built by native people tracking stars.  One of the highlights of that year's 7,200 mile road trip.

My Lander story is that when I had my oil changed they didn't put my cap back on and burned my engine.  I couldn't prove it so it cost me nearly 5k to replace the engine/hoses/etc. 

Lander has a nice main street, comfy enough.  The oddities I recall were when my car died we saw people in garb from the 1800s walking next to the highway.  They were recreating the journey of the LDS, I guess they do that every year.  The other thing was the  tow truck driver pulled off the side of the road to big boulder that had fallen and split in two to show us a museum quality fossil of a huge bird that  the crack had exposed.

And speaking of shelters...kill all land animals (kala) lady- hopefully thats her cooking shack they showed. A tarp thrown over a branch 2-3 weeks in?

El Floppo said:
Boring? :shrug: its people living in isolation in the wild. Aside from exploring their immediate environment, building their shelters and foraging/hunting for food... not much else going to happen aside from encounters with their animal neighbors. Seems like we get a little bit of all of that each episode, so not sure what else we're expecting here.  
Yeah I’m not getting the boring angle at all. Almost everyone has had a Grizzly encounter within the first 2 weeks with multiple happening at night while sleeping.  That’s enough excitement for me for a full year.  It gets my heart  beating just watching it on TV from my couch at home. 

El Floppo said:
If Colter is the naked dealing with terror guy...hfs. No gracias to any of that. Gotta say though- his personality comes across as a little goofy relative to the other contestants, but given the shelter (using existing rocks like last years winner), the boat and apparent abilities and attitude, hes a sneaky pick to win this thing. Im likimg him a lot.

Also liking pier guy (nick?) a lot, although his sage pearls of wisdom might get a little pedantic eventually...but so far he seems amazingly capable and a decent thoughtful dude.
Colter is the boat/naked dealing with a grizzly guy.  I agree he has a real shot.  My initial pick (Nick, the pier guy) still seems good, but he expended a lot of energy on a mental mistake.  That Colter guy is weird enough that I don't see the isolation bothering him.  Here's a shocking tidbit I learned when watching this last night:  Colter is 35.  Not 50 or so like I thought he appeared.  30freaking5.

I wasn't surprised at all for TN/door guy not to make it.  He's the one who walked up and down the beach for a roundtrip of four miles, for no apparent reason.  He's always seemed a bit "touched" to me.  Glad he went home to his family; what a heartbreaking story. 

El Floppo said:
And speaking of shelters...kill all land animals (kala) lady- hopefully thats her cooking shack they showed. A tarp thrown over a branch 2-3 weeks in?
She's such a weird one.  Just seems to spend the day wandering/moping around.

Speaking of the women, it would be hard to conceive of a person who would irritate me more than fake-accent lady.  Impressive shelter, though.

Bracie Smathers said:
Lander is a bustling metropolis compared to Grey Bull Wyoming a place I discovered on a long road trip.  
I thought Lander was nice. There were a couple decent restaurants on Main Street, a bar with live music, and a delicious ice cream stand. Plus a ton of outdoor activities nearby.

Where’s a better town in WY? Jackson?

I thought Lander was nice. There were a couple decent restaurants on Main Street, a bar with live music, and a delicious ice cream stand. Plus a ton of outdoor activities nearby.

Where’s a better town in WY? Jackson?
Definitely Jackson, Cody, and Cheyenne is a lot of fun.  Haven't checked out Laramie and I'd add Boulder (yes their is a Boulder Wyoming) and a few others I've forgotten.  But yeah, Lander has a nice vibe, good eats, and I had no complaints about the work they did on my car.  Seals are still tight as a tick nearly twenty years later, yes I still have that car.

She's such a weird one.  Just seems to spend the day wandering/moping around.

Speaking of the women, it would be hard to conceive of a person who would irritate me more than fake-accent lady.  Impressive shelter, though.
was thinking about this last night while watching Thursday's episode

one of my cousins moved to England nearly 40 years ago. she still has a Wisconsin accent. sure she uses some English lingo, but in a perfect Wisconsin accent. 

hell, my brother has lived in Europe for 10 years now and not adopted an accent at all.

this lady vacillating between whatever she thinks is a British accent and what i guess is a Wyoming accent (???) is really bothersome.

Users who are viewing this thread