What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (3 Viewers)

Finally caught up to the end. I didn't want to see Sam win. He annoyed me less this season than he did the first season, but I was pulling for Britt. I question the motivation of being in it to "provide" for the family. I feel that is a wicked thin line and I think it tripped Britt up again. It does seem, in general, they all made with peace with themselves and walked away stronger for competing this time vs their first go arounds. 

I do wish the show would show more "numbers". Last time they ate, current temp, etc. I also hope that the tear-down of the shelters they show is an actual tear down and restoration/leave no trace thing and not just footage played backwards. 

I do wish the show would show more "numbers". Last time they ate, current temp, etc. I also hope that the tear-down of the shelters they show is an actual tear down and restoration/leave no trace thing and not just footage played backwards. 
Hadn't thought about any of this, but agree with all of it.

And Sam was my least favorite person, but once he won I felt good for him.  At least he's pretty likable.  I was rooting for Britt, too, by final six stage.

I'll admit that Sam got more likable as this season rolled on. And his line "which one of you brought food" was outstanding. Once he didn't get a satisfactory answer he should have followed up "here... let me show this awesome dead fall trap.... yeah, just under there...."

I'll admit that Sam got more likable as this season rolled on. And his line "which one of you brought food" was outstanding. Once he didn't get a satisfactory answer he should have followed up "here... let me show this awesome dead fall trap.... yeah, just under there...."
I didn’t mind him personally but I don’t enjoy the way he won. I like to see people who use skills in trapping, fishing, hunting, etc. Sam’s skill was lasting longer and overcoming hunger better than anyone else. I sound more critical than I mean, I just enjoy watching contestants displaying great survival skills.

Sam's strategy was to pack on a ton of extra calories, then grab extra food rations. He openly joked about it on the show "my strategy was to bring a ton of extra food reserves, in the form of body fat".  He posted on Reddit he still had over a lb of flour in his shelter when he found out he won.

Surprised most people don't go this route (pack on a ton of extra body fat), as once the weather sits in, it's just a starvation game.  They get a month of decent weather, then it's sit around and who can be the best at starving during winter.

Just binged this.  Sam sucks but good win.  Larry is the worst. Was rooting for Dave or Britt.  Mongolia was not a very interesting local.  

Didn’t know they had food rations, He was making bread the whole time?  
He said in the AMA he didn't start making flour cakes until day 40. 

Also, I think what we saw was tailored so we would pull for the others. Sam said he caught a lot of food (before cold/snow) but they didn't show it. 

Just binged this.  Sam sucks but good win.  Larry is the worst. Was rooting for Dave or Britt.  Mongolia was not a very interesting local.  
larry is the worst.  was shocked they brought him back.  also surprised he acted the same.  thought he wouldve seen himself on tv and gone to a shrink. 

Watching this show is probably the one thing that makes me believe there's a god.  No way our species could have survived without someone providing extra rations.

Fiddles said:
larry is the worst.  was shocked they brought him back.  also surprised he acted the same.  thought he wouldve seen himself on tv and gone to a shrink. 
The contrast between him and Dave when they got their kills.  Larry would celebrate and basically mock his kill, then sometimes do a fake little moment of gratitude.  While Dave was humble and genuinely grateful and remorseful that he had to kill something, to the point where he started sacrificing his own survival putting all his resources into a big game kill so he would be causing less pain in the world.  If I had a kid or was some kind of coach, I would show people a montage of those two guys as a lesson in sportsmanship.

DVR picked up the season 6 premiere. Didn't know it was starting back up. They're in super northern Canada. 

Saw the first contestant in show history to decline to bring a firestarting flint. Possibly the dumbest move ever? 

It's going to be 90 degrees at my house this weekend. Gonna be weird watching everyone struggling with blizzards. :lol:
Moving further and further north.. Guessing they are tired of it going Months and want it to end in weeks..
If this one doesn't knock them out fast, next is probably Antarctica.. :lol:  

DVR picked up the season 6 premiere. Didn't know it was starting back up. They're in super northern Canada. 

Saw the first contestant in show history to decline to bring a firestarting flint. Possibly the dumbest move ever? 

It's going to be 90 degrees at my house this weekend. Gonna be weird watching everyone struggling with blizzards. :lol:
After hearing that I said that was stupid then was laughing at the guy expended a tremendous amount of energy to get fire.  Now he has to keep it going non-stop for fear of not getting another one going.  

stlrams said:
After hearing that I said that was stupid then was laughing at the guy expended a tremendous amount of energy to get fire.  Now he has to keep it going non-stop for fear of not getting another one going.  
Just unbelievably arrogant and dumb.

I am only half-not-seriously contemplating that he did it to sneak in an extra item on his gear list, and will continue to coincidentally have his camera go dead every time he needs to start a fire, and will use the camera gear and batteries to create a spark to start a fire when he needs one.
That would be awesome.

I am only half-not-seriously contemplating that he did it to sneak in an extra item on his gear list, and will continue to coincidentally have his camera go dead every time he needs to start a fire, and will use the camera gear and batteries to create a spark to start a fire when he needs one.
Ooooooo....I like it! Scandal coming no doubt! 

Also, in year's past they did an intro show to show all the contestants.  Did they do that this year?  Did it have a different name?

So the fish have parasites and the muskrats are tainted. Is anybody actually eating anything?

Sad to see Donny go but at least he goes home to his wife that is hot. 

:DonnyLovesBoobies

I'm guessing they haven't shown the winner yet.  I thought Donny was a really strong contestant.   :bag:  

What a score for that dude in the first scene! Not sure I remember anyone being so successful accept the one lady that was getting fish in her Gill net a few seasons ago.

I'm just catching up and so glad someone posted that this was on.  My favorite show every season!  I don't see any talk about the Texas guy who was out in the first episode.  Couldn't stand him and was glad he was out so fast.  With him and last week's tap-outs, the remaining cast (that they've shown) seem pretty solid.

Honestly can't believe that dude was 37.  I thought he was a tough as nails 50 year old. Good for him for making the right choice and bailing, even though I thought he had a shot to win.

I've started re-watching the old ones and made it to season 2 episode 1 today.  Remember the dude who said "they'll have to drag me out of here" and then tapped out after like 6 hours because there were bears and the forest was "creepy"?  That was hilarious. 

Honestly can't believe that dude was 37.  I thought he was a tough as nails 50 year old. Good for him for making the right choice and bailing, even though I thought he had a shot to win.

I've started re-watching the old ones and made it to season 2 episode 1 today.  Remember the dude who said "they'll have to drag me out of here" and then tapped out after like 6 hours because there were bears and the forest was "creepy"?  That was hilarious. 
Yea as this show continues the putz factor seems to have lessened. The people they pick get better and better and more skilled 

I know nothing about about hunting but these people are hunting moose with arrows.  I find it hard to believe  you can take a moose down with one arrow..

Just would think moose would run and-last a long no time before dropping, no?
It probably won’t drop right at the spot but they probably won’t go very far if it’s a good shot. That’s a lot of weight to lug around when your bleeding out and you can’t breathe. 

Why do all the black people who look like and talk like finalists head home early?  Thought about this some more.  Their black contestants seem like normal people and less looney than the average contestant.  That's probably not a winning trait.

Gotta think if anyone can kill a big game animal they can just kick back and cut wood until everyone else taps out?

Last edited by a moderator:
It better finally happen with all this buildup, but I doubt it.
There's a clip in the episode previews w/ a dude (or person?) carrying a moose head w/ full rack on his/her shoulders...  the shot is very short and from behind, the person is a bit off and walking away...  but someone definitely bagged a moose

There's a clip in the episode previews w/ a dude (or person?) carrying a moose head w/ full rack on his/her shoulders...  the shot is very short and from behind, the person is a bit off and walking away...  but someone definitely bagged a moose
You think they have hunting licenses and have to abide by game laws?

Why do all the black people who look like and talk like finalists head home early?  Thought about this some more.  Their black contestants seem like normal people and less looney than the average contestant.  That's probably not a winning trait.

Gotta think if anyone can kill a big game animal they can just kick back and cut wood until everyone else taps out?
I think Ray headed home early because the indigenous herbs weren't smokable. 

Seriously though....To me the common denominator is hunger, not race. These contestants that I think are strong but don't catch/kill enough food in the first week or two crack up. You could see Ray going downhill. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting to see if anybody who bags several fish or the moose smokes/dries the meat for later. Food is going to totally disappear rather quickly here.

Users who are viewing this thread