What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (3 Viewers)

I'm waiting to see if anybody who bags several fish or the moose smokes/dries the meat for later. Food is going to totally disappear rather quickly here.
Agree, once it gets  cold, no more wild berries, herbs, fish and animals start hibernating there will be almost no food sources.  If someone does catch a big game and smoke it, could be game over for others although last years winner, devin ?, had a strategy not to expend calories for food.  

Agree, once it gets  cold, no more wild berries, herbs, fish and animals start hibernating there will be almost no food sources.  If someone does catch a big game and smoke it, could be game over for others although last years winner, devin ?, had a strategy not to expend calories for food.  
Staying warm may prove to be more difficult than years past. Haven’t seen much emphasis on stock piling wood

If he was waiting 3 hours, not sure why he didn't sharpen a long stick into a spear to finish him off. I mean that's 3 hours for predators to gather 

So moose dude just catapulted himself so far ahead of everyone else. Loneliness, illness and injury are still a real possibility but if he can preserve the meat correctly, the dudes gonna come out of this heavier than when he started. 

Even without the snow storm coming, is trying to hunt a Wolverine a smart idea?  What little I know about them seems to indicate "stay the #### away from them".

Not sure I would sleep underneath 600lbs of moose meat.   Once he has it all smoked, where does he keep it?  Seems you don't want that much in your tent for the rest of the winter.  Does he dig a "freezer" somwhere?  And once he has it all smoked, he needs to properly ration it.  There was the one guy, Dave, from season 3 I think who was medically evacuated for losing too much weight even though he had a stockpile of smoked fish, he just wasn't eating enough each day cause he wasn't sure when he would stop getting them and wanted to prepare.

Even without the snow storm coming, is trying to hunt a Wolverine a smart idea?  What little I know about them seems to indicate "stay the #### away from them".

Not sure I would sleep underneath 600lbs of moose meat.   Once he has it all smoked, where does he keep it?  Seems you don't want that much in your tent for the rest of the winter.  Does he dig a "freezer" somwhere?  And once he has it all smoked, he needs to properly ration it.  There was the one guy, Dave, from season 3 I think who was medically evacuated for losing too much weight even though he had a stockpile of smoked fish, he just wasn't eating enough each day cause he wasn't sure when he would stop getting them and wanted to prepare.
He has to have enough for a year, right? I agree with you on the preservation and storage concerns but as long as he isn’t eating 3lbs of meat three times a day, I wouldn’t worry about rationing anything. I would fish every day so I can have some surf and turf every once in a while. 

UOFI_316 said:

No.  You aren't going to catch up to it, you aren't going to sneak up on it.  

It probably won’t drop right at the spot but they probably won’t go very far if it’s a good shot. That’s a lot of weight to lug around when your bleeding out and you can’t breathe. 
Great call here.  👍. You’re my guy should I ever go moose hunting

Feels like a set up.  Moose guy obviously should win but someone else will.  
This what I am thinking. It seems so obvious now...he will probably cut himself, get sick or just lonely and lose.  

He needs to stay busy but not get stupid and hurt himself. 

Brady has made himself a nice place. That was a sweet chair he made and how fortunate to find that frying pan!!
How fortunate for everybody else that the guy who was all set up to succeed decided he missed his kids too much.

Mixed emotions about that. I gave up career opportunities to spend time with my kids.  But once you commit to the show don't you need to see it through? At least until your food runs out? I get the feeling they'll drop like flies the next few days(real time). Too many folks missing out on meals. Bunny woman was thrilled to get the hare but what does she do after 48 hours?

How fortunate for everybody else that the guy who was all set up to succeed decided he missed his kids too much.

Mixed emotions about that. I gave up career opportunities to spend time with my kids.  But once you commit to the show don't you need to see it through? At least until your food runs out? I get the feeling they'll drop like flies the next few days(real time). Too many folks missing out on meals. Bunny woman was thrilled to get the hare but what does she do after 48 hours?
Make another puppet show?

(That was f-ing weird.)

Didn't it seem like in year's past they showed every contestant each episode?  We didn't even see Moose-Guy (who sounds just like Bill Murray from CaddyShack most of the time) in the most recent episode.

JaxBill said:

They need to stop casting people with young kids.  People with teenagers you don't want to be around or people with kids with college tuition bills will be ideal for this show.

On a different note, when the guy last week tapped out, it seemed to me that it had taken longer than usual (31 days) to get to the fourth person out.  I looked at the Wiki page and saw I was mostly right:

Season 1:  fourth person out on Day 4. 

Season 2:  fourth person out on Day 21.

Season 3:  fourth person out on Day 51(!).

Season 4:  fourth person out on Day 14.

Season 5:  fourth person out on Day 24.

The thing I noticed that was really weird, though, was the dates that the winner was taken out.  In every season except last season, the winner was taken out, logically, one day after the runner-up.  But then last season, poor Sam wasn't taken out until day 60, four days after the runner-up left.  Was this explained on the show, and I forgot why this happened?

Season 5 was shot in Mongolia. Only thing i can think of is it took a couple days to fly his wife in. 

Probably easier to fly into Canada or Argentina on short notice.

On a different note, when the guy last week tapped out, it seemed to me that it had taken longer than usual (31 days) to get to the fourth person out.  I looked at the Wiki page and saw I was mostly right:

Season 1:  fourth person out on Day 4. 

Season 2:  fourth person out on Day 21.

Season 3:  fourth person out on Day 51(!).

Season 4:  fourth person out on Day 14.

Season 5:  fourth person out on Day 24.

The thing I noticed that was really weird, though, was the dates that the winner was taken out.  In every season except last season, the winner was taken out, logically, one day after the runner-up.  But then last season, poor Sam wasn't taken out until day 60, four days after the runner-up left.  Was this explained on the show, and I forgot why this happened?
I thought it had something to do with getting his wife there.  It took some time for her to arrive.

Interesting AMA with Sam.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alonetv/comments/9b3r1n/im_sam_larson_winner_of_season_5_of_history/

ETA from the AMA

As far as being left out in the woods for 4 extra days, it was definitely not History's fault. Actually, if we're blaming anyone, it was my baby's fault! It took a while to pin down sitters for a week, and fly my wife to mongolia, and get her to my remote camp. They actually rushed her in via helicopter, which saved at least a day of time. Hypothetically the loved ones of the final couple participants are flown in to wait until the show is over, but that just wasn't an option for my wife. She owns and runs a business full time on top of being a breastfeeding mom of 2, so she wasn't about to leave the kids for a crazy amount of time while she waits for me. I honestly didn't mind though. My last 4 days went pretty well. The weather was good, and like I said in another post, I saw this huge golden eagle. It was all a really special experience to me. In my mind the show was going to go until day 75-80, so I wasn't expecting to be leaving so soon

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, but I'd be building a fortress and have enough firewood for a year.  If they started in August they had 16 hours of daylight.  By the end of November it would be about 5 hours.  
Yup. Smoke all that meat. Ration it out. Collect wood and build. That would keep you busy and since you have food you don't have to worry about getting tired. 

The guy can build a mansion out there.

Not sure, but I'd be building a fortress and have enough firewood for a year.  If they started in August they had 16 hours of daylight.  By the end of November it would be about 5 hours.  
Going to need a lot of firewood with the temps that are coming.  With food set for now, primary focus is shelter and heat.  Going to need heat for water as when things freeze it is going to take a lot of snow to get water.

If his food storage system works he will win, no doubt 

Dude is good

Rule 1. Nikki. How not to kill a rabid squirrel 🐿️

How Nikki has any body parts left after all the cuts and animal bites is amazing 
Real impressed with his new food storage platform.  Agree Dude is good.  Setting up the perimeter warning system was key.

Why would anyone try to grab a live animal near the head and not know they are going to get bitten?  Especially people on the show.  Yikes. 

So is Nikki going to leave because:

A) the squirrel was rabid 

B) the bite wound gets infected

C) Some other stupid reason we haven't seen yet

Real impressed with his new food storage platform.  Agree Dude is good.  Setting up the perimeter warning system was key.

Why would anyone try to grab a live animal near the head and not know they are going to get bitten?  Especially people on the show.  Yikes. 
She has the arrow in her hand and says "How am I going to do this".....  Drops the arrow to, I guess Strangle it ??  :doh:

Who knew Moose was too lean to live on?
I missed last night and don’t know when I will catch up (moving). Was this moose trivia fact brought up on the show?   Is he still losing weight? I had heard that about caribou but not moose.

He needs to catch some fish and have some “surf and turf”! 

Losing that Moose fat he had is the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning
Quote from that link below, lady with the rabbit puppet seemingly could get served some rabbit revenge if they are out there long enough.  Wonder what eating just moose and wolverine and I guess some grasses do to your guts?  We’ve seen what eating bark can do in the past.

“In U.S. Military Arctic Light Infantry Training (ALIT), it is taught that rabbit takes more vitamins to digest than it returns. It is recommended in survival situations to refrain from eating at all if rabbit is the only thing to eat.[citation needed]”

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread