What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Johnson - uncertainty at QB (1 Viewer)

NajehHejan

Footballguy
Most folks who drafted Andre Johnson got him as their back end WR1. The type of guy who never leaves your lineup, assuming he’s playing and healthy enough. While he hasn’t scored yet, he’s been very consistent in PPR, notching game logs of 29, 15, 8, 23, 6, and 15. I believe the games below 10 were ones he either left early and/or was hobbled. He appears to be close to fully healthy, but the QB situation is a nightmare. Are folks just keeping him rolling? In smaller 10 or 12 team leagues, owners may have decent alternatives, say someone like TY Hilton or Cecil Shorts or Marlon Brown – guys who of course bear risk, but also offer good upside. Not looking specifically for lineup advice (I don’t even own all of the above guys), just wondering where folks stand with him and is he a must start or not.

deciding between andre, mwallace,tyhilton... this shouldn't be a hard decision but seeing how AJ has fallen off cliff with qb news, now its debatable.

I'm actually benching him for Keenan Allen this week. But I have not yet decided who will be my W/R/T flex player, and he might end up back in the lineup anyway if I decide not to roll the dice on Spiller one more time. The QB situation is a nightmare and they're up against the scarily good Chiefs defense. I don't see Johnson getting Johnson numbers this time.

The silver lining here is that there aren’t that many other great receiving options in Houston – Daniels is injured, and Hopkins is just ok (after all the hype that the Texans would finally have a legit #2). Andre has never had issues before piling up targets and catches, even if the D is keying in on him.

As Johnson owners I think we have to hope that Schaub gets healthy enough to play this weekend, and that he does well and regains confidence. Yates or anyone else will torpedo Johnson’s value, IMO. Johnson is a target monster when Schaub is the QB, so that’s likely our best hope, even with his recent rash of suckitude.

Yates and Andre Johnson were solid together when Shaub missed time and Johnson actually had a couple of good deep balls thrown his way with Yates (the common thought on Yates is lack of an arm but they were able to get down the field some). With Daniels out, Yates would likely look to Andre even more in the short game so, in a PPR, Johnson would be fine with either quarterback.

Keenum is a complete unknown so it is nothing but a guess as to what would happen in that scenario.

Either way, if Andre is healthy, you treat him as you always do.§

His perceived value is too low to get much in return for him. But I still think he's a nice WR2+ so I'm happy to keep him in my lineup. He will continue to get targets so long as QB play is competent. Just need to keep an eye on it because it could get ugly.

I’d think he’s potentially a buy low candidate, if you can get him for $.60 on the dollar I'd pick him up.

Schaub is the only one that makes him a viable WR1, but with Yates (and possibly Keenum) starting, I think he drops down to WR2 range in either format. I think he'll be consistent either way, and the team knows they win games through Andre and Foster--plain and simple.

FWIW I do see him as a buy-low and just shipped off Nicks + Stacy for him in a PPR.

Schaub is the only one that makes him a viable WR1, but with Yates (and possibly Keenum) starting, I think he drops down to WR2 range in either format. I think he'll be consistent either way, and the team knows they win games through Andre and Foster--plain and simple.

FWIW I do see him as a buy-low and just shipped off Nicks + Stacy for him in a PPR.
he's caught 4 TD's in the past 27 regular season games with Schaub as his QB.

Keenum would be the best for him. Kid is smart enough to get Andre the ball often. Yates is an inept QB.

Keenum would be the best for him. Kid is smart enough to get Andre the ball often. Yates is an inept QB.
Put me in the camp that doesn't believe starting a QB with questionable ability and zero pro-experience is what is clearly "best" for the Texan's all-pro receiver.

kd1 said:
tdhartis said:

he's caught 4 TD's in the past 27 regular season games with Schaub as his QB. Keenum would be the best for him. Kid is smart enough to get Andre the ball often. Yates is an inept QB.
Yikes, didn't realize it was that bad - 4 TD's since week 2 of 2011.

tdhartis said:
kd1 said:
tdhartis said:

Put me in the camp that doesn't believe starting a QB with questionable ability and zero pro-experience is what is clearly "best" for the Texan's all-pro receiver.
In other words, put you in the camp that believes starting a QB with unquestionably minimal ability but several years of pro-experience is clearly "best" for the Texans' all-pro receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
kd1 said:
tdhartis said:

he's caught 4 TD's in the past 27 regular season games with Schaub as his QB. Keenum would be the best for him. Kid is smart enough to get Andre the ball often. Yates is an inept QB.
Yikes, didn't realize it was that bad - 4 TD's since week 2 of 2011.
The bolded is false. The correct figure is 6TDs over the past 27 regular season games with Schaub.

Shaub only played the first 10 games of the 2011 season, and Andre was inactive due to injury for 6 of those. Additionally, Andre has never been a high-TD receiver, as he averaged 6.25 TDs per season his first 8 years in the league ('03-'10).

Add in the reliance upon the run game once Foster bust onto the scene in 2010, and conservative play calling by Kubiak, and you don't have a winning recipe for Andre to get a ton of TDs--no matter who's behind center.

In other words, put you in the camp that believes starting a QB with unquestionably minimal ability but several years of pro-experience is clearly "best" for the Texans' all-pro receiver.
By no means is Schaub a world beater, but if that's how you sum him up then you're incredibly off. First of all, many NFL scouts saw more ability and potential in Schaub then they did in Keenum, evidenced by the fact that he was taken in the third round of the draft and was acquired in trade from the Falcons for two second round picks, whereas Keenum was widely criticized by scouts and went undrafted until the hometown team took a chance on him as a project-QB. Additionally, Schaub was a large reason the Texans made the playoffs in 2011 and 2012, is a two-time pro-bowler, and led the NFL in passing in 2009.

Am I happy that he is the best option the Texans have for a QB? No. Do I think they have a chance to win a Super Bowl with him? No. However, I do think that he is (sadly) the best option the team has when healthy, and if you truly think that Keenum is a better option even considering Schaub's recent troubles then you need to have your head checked.

By no means is Schaub a world beater, but if that's how you sum him up then you're incredibly off. First of all, many NFL scouts saw more ability in potential in Schaub then they did in Keenum, evidenced by the fact that he was taken in the third round of the draft and was acquired in trade from the Falcons for two second round picks, whereas Keenum was widely criticized by scouts and went undrafted until the hometown team took a chance on him as a project-QB. Additionally, Schaub was a large reason the Texans made the playoffs in 2011 and 2012, is a two-time pro-bowler, and led the NFL in passing in 2009.

Am I happy that he is the best option the Texans have for a QB? No. Do I think they have a chance to win a Super Bowl with him? No. However, I do think that he is the (sadly) the best option the team has when healthy, and if you truly think that Keenum is a better option even considering Schaub's recent troubles then you need to have your head checked.
Thankfully, I'm not dumb enough to assume Keenum is a worse option without ever seeing him play a regular season down.

And if you acknowledge that they no longer have a chance at winning a Super Bowl with Schaub, and are still willing to jam him in there game after game without giving Keenum a sniff (which is clearly your preferred strategy), well, then you need to have your head checked.

Thanks for doing some research and making that big 2 TD correction on Andre, by the way. You really have me red in the face.

By no means is Schaub a world beater, but if that's how you sum him up then you're incredibly off. First of all, many NFL scouts saw more ability in potential in Schaub then they did in Keenum, evidenced by the fact that he was taken in the third round of the draft and was acquired in trade from the Falcons for two second round picks, whereas Keenum was widely criticized by scouts and went undrafted until the hometown team took a chance on him as a project-QB. Additionally, Schaub was a large reason the Texans made the playoffs in 2011 and 2012, is a two-time pro-bowler, and led the NFL in passing in 2009.

Am I happy that he is the best option the Texans have for a QB? No. Do I think they have a chance to win a Super Bowl with him? No. However, I do think that he is the (sadly) the best option the team has when healthy, and if you truly think that Keenum is a better option even considering Schaub's recent troubles then you need to have your head checked.
Thankfully, I'm not dumb enough to assume Keenum is a worse option without ever seeing him play a regular season down.

And if you acknowledge that they no longer have a chance at winning a Super Bowl with Schaub, and are still willing to jam him in there game after game without giving Keenum a sniff (which is clearly your preferred strategy), well, then you need to have your head checked.

Thanks for doing some research and making that big 2 TD correction on Andre, by the way. You really have me red in the face.
Pointing out that you were incorrect on the TD figure wasn't because it bolstered my argument or made it look better, but rather to show you're just pulling information out of your ###. If Keenum gave us a better shot to win this season, then the coaching staff would have realized this at some point in the last two years and done something about it, or at least move him to #2 on the depth chart. It is in their best interest to put the best product on the field seeing as how their jobs depend on it, and if they believed Keenum would fare any better than Schaub or Yates have this year, then we would have seen him. They saw the exact same thing us couch QBs saw the past few Sundays, and I'm more incline to trust their judgment than someone who is likely a UH fan and thinks that a system-QB with success in college is a shoo-in for success on the next level. While we're at it we should call up Heisman winner Jason White and see if he's still up to play ball, and if he's happy selling cars in Oklahoma then we can ring up Kevin Kolb and VY and see what they're up to nowadays.

Pointing out that you were incorrect on the TD figure wasn't because it bolstered my argument or made it look better, but rather to show you're just pulling information out of your ###. If Keenum gave us a better shot to win this season, then the coaching staff would have realized this at some point in the last two years and done something about it, or at least move him to #2 on the depth chart. It is in their best interest to put the best product on the field seeing as how their jobs depend on it, and if they believed Keenum would fare any better than Schaub or Yates have this year, then we would have seen him. They saw the exact same thing us couch QBs saw the past few Sundays, and I'm more incline to trust their judgment than someone who is likely a UH fan and thinks that a system-QB with success in college is a shoo-in for success on the next level. While we're at it we should call up Heisman winner Jason White and see if he's still up to play ball, and if he's happy selling cars in Oklahoma then we can ring up Kevin Kolb and VY and see what they're up to nowadays.
Not a UH fan. You sure sound like a dumb aggie though.

6 TD's in the past 27 games isn't exactly much more impressive than 4.

Those coaches you are touting are the same ones who thought that Schaub was a better option than Peyton Manning.

I know your kind...the ones that are desperate to get that last word in, so have at it. We all know you can't stop yourself. Just make sure that you know that everything that you have said thus far is just plain ignorant.

Now git that last word and Gig 'Em!

Not a UH fan. You sure sound like a dumb aggie though.

6 TD's in the past 27 games isn't exactly much more impressive than 4.

Those coaches you are touting are the same ones who thought that Schaub was a better option than Peyton Manning.

I know your kind...the ones that are desperate to get that last word in, so have at it. We all know you can't stop yourself. Just make sure that you know that everything that you have said thus far is just plain ignorant.

Now git that last word and Gig 'Em!
'10 UT alumnus. Hook 'em.

Case Keenum officially the starter.

Hopefully he radar locks in on Andre. Would Terrance Williams be getting too cute to replace Andre? Feels too cute. Dude does lead the league in receptions.

Boy, you sure look like a bozo real fast, eh? Gotta be some sort of record.

Hopefully he radar locks in on Andre. Would Terrance Williams be getting too cute to replace Andre? Feels too cute. Dude does lead the league in receptions.
This is a tough one because you pretty much figure if he can do anything at all, its going to be through AJ. Probably a classic game of either "Yup, knew that beat down was coming" or "Whoa! We got something here!" Probably no middle ground at all in this one.

I don't give a crap about this position battle or this team. Just popped in to see what the locals were saying about Andre.

And now that I'm here, I feel it's my duty as a neutral party to inform you: tdhartis isn't the one who came off looking like a bozo here.

I don't give a crap about this position battle or this team. Just popped in to see what the locals were saying about Andre.

And now that I'm here, I feel it's my duty as a neutral party to inform you: tdhartis isn't the one who came off looking like a bozo here.
Hmm. Must be an alternate account? Nice try.

I never said the situation wasn't fluid, and if the coaching staff thinks he's a better option than Yates than I'm behind them, and in effect Keenum. That was never the issue. It was mainly that you were claiming he was obviously the better option over a healthy Schaub, which I still dispute, and that that the coaching staff were mistaken in not having started him. So do you take back what you said about the coaches now that they've made a decision you agree with, or are they still incompetent idiots who thought Schaub was a better option than Manning?

I genuinely hope he lives up to the hype, and FWIW I think we will see a heavy reliance on the running game on Sunday. When he does pass, I expect it to be mainly short to intermediate routes. Also, that he will probably key in on Andre or Graham.

:2cents:

I never said the situation wasn't fluid, and if the coaching staff thinks he's a better option than Yates than I'm behind them, and in effect Keenum. That was never the issue. It was mainly that you were claiming he was obviously the better option over a healthy Schaub, which I still dispute, and that that the coaching staff were mistaken in not having started him. So do you take back what you said about the coaches now that they've made a decision you agree with, or are they still incompetent idiots who thought Schaub was a better option than Manning?

I genuinely hope he lives up to the hype, and FWIW I think we will see a heavy reliance on the running game on Sunday. When he does pass, I expect it to be mainly short to intermediate routes. Also, that he will probably key in on Andre or Graham.

:2cents:
You may want to re-read your posts (you know, the ones before this one where you completely changed your tone/argument. It's ok to be wrong and have egg on your face. Embrace it.

And no, this doesn't change my opinion on them being incompetent idiots who thought Schaub was a better option than Manning. But as you know, I need to get my head checked.

This is what I was thinking.

KC this game, then a bye, young QB coming in, if ever there was a time to make an offer.

Houston I believe has a pretty good schedule for WR's in weeks 14-16.

I think Houston tries to go conservative with the game plan, and it's very possible Keenum may struggle.

That said, I would still start Andre Johnson unless you have other fantasy WR1s on your team to plug into every starting slot.

tron had only one TD, though.

he had 50+ in one of my leagues, too, i was wondering if any player ever had 100? :)

i don't think so...

supposedly if kaepernick against GB in playoffs last year was in the regular season and counted for teams, that would have been a monster game...

rice had a 5 TD game once, i think, but that was long before PPR formats existed (it would be interesting to recalculate that game)...

This is a tough one because you pretty much figure if he can do anything at all, its going to be through AJ. Probably a classic game of either "Yup, knew that beat down was coming" or "Whoa! We got something here!" Probably no middle ground at all in this one.
Sums that up

As long as Keenum isn't aids AJ should be a strong WR2 going foward for a year or two. I mean if I was out of the playoff picture I'd probably take a 1st round pick for him. I'd give a 1st for him to if I was pushing for the playoffs.

As long as Keenum isn't aids AJ should be a strong WR2 going foward for a year or two. I mean if I was out of the playoff picture I'd probably take a 1st round pick for him. I'd give a 1st for him to if I was pushing for the playoffs.
SengerCJ said:
Time to sell high on AJ?
Why? Keenum has showed that he can perform....and he played KC and IND, two very good defenses. AJ is a target/reception hog, Foster is banged up, HOU's running game isn't as good as it has in the past, and their defense isn't that good. All signs point to AJ being a top 7WR going forward. Now if you can package AJ and get Calvin, an elite RB, Peyton, or Graham, sure. But I think you should hold and enjoy the ride for the rest of the year. Keenum is playing for a starting nod next year, so he isn't going to let up on the accelerator, even if HOU is out the playoff picture. HOU needs to know if Keenum is their QB of the future (hint to the Texans coaching staff..........that answer is yes)

SengerCJ said:
Time to sell high on AJ?
Why? Keenum has showed that he can perform....and he played KC and IND, two very good defenses. AJ is a target/reception hog, Foster is banged up, HOU's running game isn't as good as it has in the past, and their defense isn't that good. All signs point to AJ being a top 7WR going forward. Now if you can package AJ and get Calvin, an elite RB, Peyton, or Graham, sure. But I think you should hold and enjoy the ride for the rest of the year. Keenum is playing for a starting nod next year, so he isn't going to let up on the accelerator, even if HOU is out the playoff picture. HOU needs to know if Keenum is their QB of the future (hint to the Texans coaching staff..........that answer is yes)
Well in dynasty if you aren't competing this year, yes, you can sell high to a team that is competing now. That's how rebuilding teams work. Sell vet production to competing teams for young players/picks.

SengerCJ said:
Time to sell high on AJ?
Because he hasn't exactly been that great so far. I already have Welker, D.Thomas, and Nelson who have been consistent. But if anyone thinks he will continue to put up decent fantasy point then I'll hang on to him.

cough, cough...

SengerCJ said:
Time to sell high on AJ?
THese are the types of turns in seasons that make league titles. Owners who have guys like AJ, Hilton, Foles, etc right now are in a good spot.

SengerCJ said:
Time to sell high on AJ?
Because he hasn't exactly been that great so far. I already have Welker, D.Thomas, and Nelson who have been consistent. But if anyone thinks he will continue to put up decent fantasy point then I'll hang on to him.
So you think AJ's production wasn't tied to Schaub stinking up the joint? AJ's first game with Keenum he had 7 catches for 82 yards and that was against KC, the best D in the NFL.

Keenum is light years better than Schaub at this point......at least for AJ's value, because Keenum can throw it down the field. HOU was way too conservative with Schaub at the helm, which was fine for AJ in terms of receptions in the past, but not for big plays and TDs. Schaub always liked to go the TE near the goalline, which I never understood, since AJ is such a big WR......throw it up to him, just like Keenum did for AJ's 3rd TD last night.

That said, you have a murder's row of WRs so in your spot, I would offer up all my WRs and see what the best offer I can get.

Users who are viewing this thread