What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre J's 3 yard run- should be catch for 3 yards? (1 Viewer)

kinged

Footballguy
In the second quarter, Shaub threw a lateral? or WR screen to AJ who ran it for a short gain. I noticed they are calling it a carry for 3 yards. . Is this correct? It looked like every other WR bubble screen I see every week that counts for short passes..

Of course, from my own selfish standpoint- I'm looking for anything that will get him over 150yds :-) As soon as the announcers at the half said he only had 1 catch (42 yarder) I started questioning it though. It just seems a catch to me.

It didn't look backwards... I guess my eyes deceived me. It looked just like every little bubble WR screen like Steve Smith in Car would do to get 5 or 6 catches a game. AJ takes a couple of steps, pops back, Shaub throws it and AJ runs for a few yards.

oh well, it is what it is.

It didn't look backwards... I guess my eyes deceived me. It looked just like every little bubble WR screen like Steve Smith in Car would do to get 5 or 6 catches a game. AJ takes a couple of steps, pops back, Shaub throws it and AJ runs for a few yards. oh well, it is what it is.
FWIW, I thought the exact same thing.

This is why combined yards from scrimmage, without bonuses for reaching yardage milestones, and without ppr, is the best fantasy football system. Why should any points be given for a negative yardage reception, anyway? Should QB's get points for the completion?

What you think happened means nothing, ultimately. I don't say this to belittle you. What I mean is this: all that matters for fantasy football purposes is the official boxscore results. I don't know that the NFL would even bother altering something like this even if the pass did technically fly backwards a little bit. I didn't see the play, but I would be surprised to see the result changed by the NFL.

If your league would abandon giving receiving milestone bonuses (which I assume it does based on your post), then the technicalities of whether it was a reception or a carry wouldn't matter.

Or maybe you could just give bonuses for total yardage?

Either way, separating yardage from scrimmage in any way between rushing and receiving could possibly cause these kind of technicality issues to arise.

This is why combined yards from scrimmage, without bonuses for reaching yardage milestones, and without ppr, is the best fantasy football system. Why should any points be given for a negative yardage reception, anyway? Should QB's get points for the completion? What you think happened means nothing, ultimately. I don't say this to belittle you. What I mean is this: all that matters for fantasy football purposes is the official boxscore results. I don't know that the NFL would even bother altering something like this even if the pass did technically fly backwards a little bit. I didn't see the play, but I would be surprised to see the result changed by the NFL.If your league would abandon giving receiving milestone bonuses (which I assume it does based on your post), then the technicalities of whether it was a reception or a carry wouldn't matter.Or maybe you could just give bonuses for total yardage?Either way, separating yardage from scrimmage in any way between rushing and receiving could possibly cause these kind of technicality issues to arise.
passing yards for schaub tho

This is why combined yards from scrimmage, without bonuses for reaching yardage milestones, and without ppr, is the best fantasy football system. Why should any points be given for a negative yardage reception, anyway? Should QB's get points for the completion?

What you think happened means nothing, ultimately. I don't say this to belittle you. What I mean is this: all that matters for fantasy football purposes is the official boxscore results. I don't know that the NFL would even bother altering something like this even if the pass did technically fly backwards a little bit. I didn't see the play, but I would be surprised to see the result changed by the NFL.

If your league would abandon giving receiving milestone bonuses (which I assume it does based on your post), then the technicalities of whether it was a reception or a carry wouldn't matter.

Or maybe you could just give bonuses for total yardage?

Either way, separating yardage from scrimmage in any way between rushing and receiving could possibly cause these kind of technicality issues to arise.
This is actually one of the most frequent type of stat corrections that come out. If it really was a forward pass (didn't see the play), it will be changed.

Anyone have a replay link?

In my league, if this ends up being a reception the net net would be + 1 pt for AJ:

* 1 pt for the reception

* Another pt for another 10 yards receiving (from 149 to 152)

* -1 pt going from 10 yards rushing to 7

Sometimes one pt is all you need.

KY

Anyone have a replay link?In my league, if this ends up being a reception the net net would be + 1 pt for AJ:* 1 pt for the reception* Another pt for another 10 yards receiving (from 149 to 152)* -1 pt going from 10 yards rushing to 7Sometimes one pt is all you need.KY
Plus 1 point for Shaub if you get points for every 20 yards passing. Goes from 337 yards to 340.

Plus 6.5 points if you have a 0.5 ppr and a 6 pt bonus at 150 yards rec

And I too hate splitting yardage. In fact, why do we split yardage anyway? Why isn't it total yfs?

I just watched the play in question on NFL Game Rewind.

2:17 remaining in 2nd quarter

2nd and 12 from the Houston 20-yard line

Schaub takes snap, turns to his right and throws the ball to Johnson

At the point of release:

Schaub's left foot is on the 19.5 yard line. His right foot, shoulder, arm and ball are on the 19 yard line.

At the point of reception:

Johnson (facing forward) is between the 18 and 19 yard line.

Based on this review, I can't see how this gets changed from a lateral to a forward pass.

I just watched the play in question on NFL Game Rewind.2:17 remaining in 2nd quarter2nd and 12 from the Houston 20-yard lineSchaub takes snap, turns to his right and throws the ball to JohnsonAt the point of release:Schaub's left foot is on the 19.5 yard line. His right foot, shoulder, arm and ball are on the 19 yard line.At the point of reception:Johnson (facing forward) is between the 18 and 19 yard line.Based on this review, I can't see how this gets changed from a lateral to a forward pass.
I'm not sure that it doesn't get changed. I've seen the most minute stuff gets changed every week. If it even traveled 1/2 yard forward as you seem to be saying- it should be a reception. The box score keepers are scoring this stuff on the fly. Its a judgement call, but when the tape gets reviewed, they'll figure it out.. We won't know until the end of next week though.Stuff like this can make a a difference. A few years ago, an owner in our league- his Defense was awarded an extra sack instead of a run for 0yds as orginially scored. It was literly a couple of feet difference. He found out two weeks after it happened and it caused him to win his matchup which origninally was a tie and loss to him on tiebreaker. That put him into the playoffs, he wetn on a roll and won the championship.. If not for that sack, he misses the playoff.

I just watched the play in question on NFL Game Rewind.2:17 remaining in 2nd quarter2nd and 12 from the Houston 20-yard lineSchaub takes snap, turns to his right and throws the ball to JohnsonAt the point of release:Schaub's left foot is on the 19.5 yard line. His right foot, shoulder, arm and ball are on the 19 yard line.At the point of reception:Johnson (facing forward) is between the 18 and 19 yard line.Based on this review, I can't see how this gets changed from a lateral to a forward pass.
I'm not sure that it doesn't get changed. I've seen the most minute stuff gets changed every week. If it even traveled 1/2 yard forward as you seem to be saying- it should be a reception. The box score keepers are scoring this stuff on the fly. Its a judgement call, but when the tape gets reviewed, they'll figure it out.. We won't know until the end of next week though.Stuff like this can make a a difference. A few years ago, an owner in our league- his Defense was awarded an extra sack instead of a run for 0yds as orginially scored. It was literly a couple of feet difference. He found out two weeks after it happened and it caused him to win his matchup which origninally was a tie and loss to him on tiebreaker. That put him into the playoffs, he wetn on a roll and won the championship.. If not for that sack, he misses the playoff.
Sorry, should have clarified. Schaub was between the HOUSTON 19.5 and 19 yard line, while Johnson was between the HOUSTON 18 and 19 yard line. It was definitely a backward pass, and was properly credited as a lateral.

Sorry, should have clarified. Schaub was between the HOUSTON 19.5 and 19 yard line, while Johnson was between the HOUSTON 18 and 19 yard line. It was definitely a backward pass, and was properly credited as a lateral.
got it.. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread