What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andrew Luck..... Love fest inside.... (2 Viewers)

As I was stating earlier and for those of you that don't see many Indy games yesterday was not a fluke. This kid is truly a gamer and just wills his team.
He has one of the worst collection of weapons to work with in the entire NFL. I like Hilton, good playmaker, but he is far from a polished #1 NFL WR. I mean Luck literally had to do everything that drive.
Oh give me a break. One of the worst collections of weapons? Hilton alone is a better weapon than about 10 teams have. Let's not get dramatic.
it's not dramatic. he's surrounded by a bunch of #4-5 WRs, TY Hilton, and 2 mediocre to not quite mediocre RBs
And they have almost no experience at all. Outside of Brown, it's a bunch of 1st and 2nd year guys.

What a game last night! You could tell he was more than pissed when he threw the TD that ended putting the Chefs up 17. At that point I felt the Colts were going to win the game.

As a Lions fan I would happily trade Stafford and Calvin for Luck.
That is crazy.
Stafford needs Calvin to win. Luck makes guys around him better. He doesn't need the best WR in the game to win.
I agree with you, and if I was a GM I would take Luck instead of Calvin and Stafford, too.The best quarterbacks in the league (Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees) always have their teams in playoff contention because QB matters more than ever in today's NFL. Luck will enter that class of the uppercrust QBs who always have their team in contention. Stafford, however, I have no faith in that he'll ever enter that class. Stafford looks too undisciplined and lacks the composure of those other QBs. Having the best receiver in the league doesn't make up for the gap between Luck and Stafford at the game's most important position.

Why the low completion percentage this year? I'm also not sold on Pep Hamilton. I saw how useless he was as QB coach on the Bears a few years back.

He's a very good QB. I had him as my fantasy QB this year, so I watched him a fair amount. The offense around him had not been great much of the season, and the play-calling was also really suspect in some games. Give him some more pieces on offense and a better system and the sky is the limit for him.

ghostguy123 said:
As I was stating earlier and for those of you that don't see many Indy games yesterday was not a fluke. This kid is truly a gamer and just wills his team.
He has one of the worst collection of weapons to work with in the entire NFL. I like Hilton, good playmaker, but he is far from a polished #1 NFL WR. I mean Luck literally had to do everything that drive.
Oh give me a break. One of the worst collections of weapons? Hilton alone is a better weapon than about 10 teams have. Let's not get dramatic.
I put Hilton, D Brown, TRich, Whalen, Rodgers, and Fleener towards the bottom of skill players. Jets, Raiders, Dolphins and Pats seem to be the only potentislly worse collections.ETA Seahawks also are pretty weak.
I would agree. Their line isnt all that hot, and their RB/WRs/TEs are very close to the bottom of the league right now.

SOme of the guys have potential, but until that potential is realized, they are near the bottom.
Getting Allen back will be huge.

Frankly - Hilton, Rogers, Allen and Fleener are comparable to what Brady had most of his career.

From Randy Karraker...

http://www.101sports.com/2014/01/06/ten-takeaways-wild-card-weekend/

"Andrew Luck is the next great quarterback, despite his overall numbers. After his team fell behind 38-10 in the third quarter, Luck completed 17 of 23 passes for 314 yards, three passing touchdowns, an alert fumble recovery/rushing touchdown and one interception. Before that he was 12 of 22 for 129, one touchdown and two interceptions. He’s the classic example of the QB who you don’t pull from the game because he has a chance to pull it out. Here are his last six drives: 3 of 3, 67 yards; 4 of 5, 46 yards, passing TD; 0 of 1, interception (his third); 3 of 5, 67 yards, passing TD; 5 of 6, 59 yards, rush TD; 2 of 3, 75 yards, passing TD. Luck is the essence of the reason that won/loss records are compiled for quarterbacks. He didn’t have a great statistical season, but finds a way for his team to win. If I could choose between Luck, Robert Griffin III, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton and Nick Foles, each young quarterback who’s been in the playoffs over the last two seasons, I’d take Luck."

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Luck fan and Colts :homer: I'd have to put Wilson on par with Luck. And the others on that list are a distant 3rd.

As a Luck fan and Colts :homer: I'd have to put Wilson on par with Luck. And the others on that list are a distant 3rd.
I'm a big Wilson fan, but if you don't factor in cap cost, and just asked the 30 other GMs who they would take straight up, have to think an overwhelming number would choose Luck. That said, they may be closer in ability than such an informal poll might reveal.Probably worth pointing out that Wilson is helped by playing on a better team.

I see a lot of great qualities in Wilson that are currently being underutilized. He isn't asked to do as much as Luck, but who's to say he can't.

Luck is the quentisential pocket passer that GMs salivate over, so if take that poll with a grain of salt.

I didn't read the poll, but did it happen to list which QB each GM would take second?

I see a lot of great qualities in Wilson that are currently being underutilized. He isn't asked to do as much as Luck, but who's to say he can't.

Luck is the quentisential pocket passer that GMs salivate over, so if take that poll with a grain of salt.

I didn't read the poll, but did it happen to list which QB each GM would take second?
It was a hypothetical.

Both QBs can pass from the pocket and run. To a degree, Luck still has the cache of being graded as the best QB prospect since Manning (some would say Elway), and hasn't done anything to disappoint by making the playoffs his first two seasons. As great as Wilson is, that is a hard comparison to match up to. But again, I'm a big fan, and acknowledge they could be very close.

Luck is and will continue to be a great QB. He got a big break in the KC game, however, when Brandon Flowers went out. That changed the KC defense a lot. The same thing happened in the Saints/Eagles game when the Saints corner who was blanketing Jackson got hurt. The Eagles were immediately able to go deep and rally from a 13 point deficit.

Sometimes it is better to be lucky (pun intended) than good.

Yea f the colts. The kid is great.

Signed,

Bitter texans fan who realizes the teams window is closed.
As a Vikings fan I understand how fast these windows close.
As a Giants fan I am struggling to even locate where the window is let alone if it is open or closed.
You won 2 Superbowls with your current QB and you're crying about a window? Seriously?
Good point.

However, the window should still be open with this current roster imo.
Don't the Giants have everyone just where they want them? :shrug:

Eli doesn't look like a leader... running game sucks... Coach should be fired... blah-blah-blah... bye week... then run the table and win the Super Bowl.
:doh:

Why does Andrew Luck struggle so much in the red zone?By Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

There's no getting around it: Andrew Luck has been a poor red-zone passer since entering the NFL.

In 2013, Luck completed 33 of 70 throws (47.1 percent) in the red zone while compiling an 83.0 passer rating. That's worse than Mike Glennon, Matt McGloin, Kellen Clemens and well, you get the idea.

On throws to the end zone, Luck ranked dead last among QBs with 20-plus attempts, hitting eight of 34 (23.5 percent) per Pro Football Focus. In contrast, Nick Foles completed 64 percent, Colin Kaepernick 54 percent and Peyton Manning 52 percent.

Luck still finished as the No. 6 Fantasy quarterback! Just imagine what he could do with improved red-zone efficiency.

Talent isn't the problem. Luck needed better targets and better play-calling. Consider that last year, Darrius Heyward-Bey got seven targets inside the 10-yard line, according to XN Sports. He caught one and it didn't go for a touchdown. Five-foot-nine T.Y. Hilton also got seven targets inside the 10, turning two into scores.

The return of Reggie Wayne and Dwayne Allen from injuries will help. So will the addition of Hakeem Nicks, despite the fact he didn't score in 2013.

Nicks is 6-1, 208 pounds and caught 24 touchdown passes his first three years. Giants coach Tom Coughlin said injuries and other issues held Nicks back the past two seasons but that moving to Indy might be "the change he needed."

Colts coach Chuck Pagano called Nicks a big, physical receiver who can beat the jam off the line. Nick, when healthy, is just the kind of weapon Luck needs.

Luck mitigated the effect of his red-zone problems by running for four touchdowns. If he improves his efficiency as a red-zone passer, look out.

Rotoworld:

Andrew Luck - QB - Colts

In poll of 26 general managers, personnel men and coaches, Andrew Luck landed in "Tier 1" of quarterbacks.

The only other Tier 1 quarterbacks were Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees. Although Luck has been in the NFL for just two years and is yet to go off statistically, it's clear to anyone with two eyes that he's a "once in a generation" kind of talent. Luck is a middling QB1 in re-draft formats due to the presence of stubborn run-first OC Pep Hamilton, but he's arguably the No. 1 quarterback in Dynasty leagues.

Source: ESPN.com

Jul 3 - 8:30 AM

I'm not so sure about "once in a generation" talent. Yes, he's played pretty well so far and has lead his team to the playoffs and even a playoff win, but "once in a generation"? I don't see it yet. Is he really THAT much better than RG3, Wilson or Foles right now?

I'm not so sure about "once in a generation" talent. Yes, he's played pretty well so far and has lead his team to the playoffs and even a playoff win, but "once in a generation"? I don't see it yet. Is he really THAT much better than RG3, Wilson or Foles right now?
And does he belong in tier 1 yet? With guys like Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers? I dont think so.

And does he belong in tier 1 yet? With guys like Peyton, Brady, Brees and Rodgers? I dont think so.
Agreed. Those guys all have a couple things in common, Super Bowls and MVPs. Luck has neither. They've also all been in the league for more than 2 years. Could look join that group one day? Sure. But he isn't there yet.

Yeah, putting him in a tier with a pack of 1st ballot HOFers is really premature. The four guys listed above are all in the discussion of "best QB ever," not just best right now. That said, IMO he's a significant step up from the rest of the group of young QBs, even including Wilson -- Luck has won and performed well despite having an absolute steaming pile of garbage around him on the Colts.

Yeah, putting him in a tier with a pack of 1st ballot HOFers is really premature. The four guys listed above are all in the discussion of "best QB ever," not just best right now. That said, IMO he's a significant step up from the rest of the group of young QBs, even including Wilson -- Luck has won and performed well despite having an absolute steaming pile of garbage around him on the Colts.
I can buy that. I think he's atop the Tier 2 QBs right now. But looking at his numbers through the 1st 2 seasons, his stats aren't that much better than Wilson or RG3. Yes, he's probably performed better based on talent around him, but certainly not enough to say he's already a future HoFer.

I can buy that. I think he's atop the Tier 2 QBs right now. But looking at his numbers through the 1st 2 seasons, his stats aren't that much better than Wilson or RG3. Yes, he's probably performed better based on talent around him, but certainly not enough to say he's already a future HoFer.
Ehhh, as of right now, there are more than four guys who are currently playing QB at a higher level NFL-wise than is Andrew Luck. Obviously, I'd take Luck (both in the NFL and FF) over players like Roethlisberger, Rivers, Ryan, Romo based on age and potential, but all of those guys are currently better QBs than Luck has been thus far. He could pass some / all of them this year if he steps up with better receiving weapons, but he's not there yet.

Andrew Luck - QB - Colts
ESPN's Colts reporter says Andrew Luck will have "plenty of opportunities to throw the ball" this season.
The insinuation is that stubborn OC Pep Hamilton will relent on his forced power-running obsession and take the shackles off Luck. Beat man Mike Wells says the Colts now simply want to score points whichever way necessary. It should be a no-brainer philosophy change with the interior offensive line in shambles, question marks at running back, improved weaponry in the pass game and Luck ready to emerge as a generational talent.

Jul 31 - 9:56 AM

I'm still a bit sceptical of the weapons Luck has but it's great to see Indy will allow their best player to have more of an impact.

Skeletore Eh said:
Andrew Luck - QB - Colts
ESPN's Colts reporter says Andrew Luck will have "plenty of opportunities to throw the ball" this season.
The insinuation is that stubborn OC Pep Hamilton will relent on his forced power-running obsession and take the shackles off Luck. Beat man Mike Wells says the Colts now simply want to score points whichever way necessary. It should be a no-brainer philosophy change with the interior offensive line in shambles, question marks at running back, improved weaponry in the pass game and Luck ready to emerge as a generational talent.

Jul 31 - 9:56 AM
Great news for Luck owners.

I had Luck finishing 11th overall in fantasy points per game last season but currently have him ranked QB6. That's a significant jump for a QB in that range, but I think he'll pull it off.

I had Luck finishing 11th overall in fantasy points per game last season but currently have him ranked QB6. That's a significant jump for a QB in that range, but I think he'll pull it off.
Looking at the Colts running game, I can't help but feel they will be throwing a lot. They've added a lot of receiving options and they are worse at RB than last year.

All this depends on Luck taking the next step and improving his efficiency numbers (Comp% and YPA), which have been average his first two years.

I will take Luck over any other QBs to build my NFL teams. But don't let Luck love blind you, he is not a top fantasy QB yet, so draft accordingly.

I will take Luck over any other QBs to build my NFL teams. But don't let Luck love blind you, he is not a top fantasy QB yet, so draft accordingly.
Luck is a top fantasy QB right now. He's just not elite. What is often overlooked when talking about Luck is that he has 632 yds and 9 TDs rushing in this first 2 seasons. Those are very good numbers and critical points added to his fantasy score. It's what places him in the QB1 territory.

I love seeing Luck with an empty backfield... shows the trust placed in him to put it all on his shoulders. I own Luck in ZERO leagues but he should be trusted to carry the load. Obviously Richardson will not be trusted.

The oline is the biggest stumbling block for this offense to move forward IMO. Losing G Thomas again for the year does not help.
Did they do anything in the off season to address the line?
We cut Samson Satele and Mike McGlynn, which helped a heck of a lot.

Also drafted Mewhort in the 2nd who has been playing at G, rather than at T like he did in college.

The line tonight was solid in pass pro. Run blocking wasn't great, but pass pro was far better than expected.

I think the Pep Hamilton concerns (as heard on the Audible and elsewhere) are understandable, but might be a bit overstated. This team just isn't going to be effective running the ball, Luck will have to throw. To me, Luck has a higher ceiling this year than Stafford, RG3, Foles and Ryan.

Reallllllllllllllllllllly good article on IND QB Andrew Luck in Pep's system.

Very informative and some of the information shocked me considering how much Indianapolis Offensive Coordinator Pep Hamilton has been dismissed in fantasy circles.

http://grantland.com/features/andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts-running-game/

Unleash the FranchiseDoes the Colts’ offensive scheme get in the way of Andrew Luck leading the team to victory?

by Bill Barnwell on August 15, 2014

... the reviews are certainly mixed. The Colts scored 34 more points in 2013 than they did in 2012 under Bruce Arians, but a seemingly endless string of runs for no gain from newly acquired halfback Trent Richardson unquestionably left some Colts fans wondering whether they left a better offense on the cutting-room floor. Indianapolis seemed at its best when the Colts were behind and Hamilton turned things over to the passing attack, most memorably in the comeback victory over the Chiefs in the wild-card round. Even Hamilton seems to recognize that he’d gone a bit too far; this offseason, the rhetoric has shifted, with the coordinator now describing his offense as a “score-first team.”

So, was Hamilton’s run-heavy approach a failure? The answer is somewhere between yes and no. There are important takeaways from 2013, both good and bad, and they should influence what we see from the Colts and their star quarterback in 2014.

... ex-Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians accepted an offer from former Ravens rival Chuck Pagano to take over as Colts OC. The Colts then re-signed Reggie Wayne before drafting Andrew Luck with the first overall pick, giving Arians one path to a competent offense. He proceeded to install a vertical attack designed to take advantage of Luck’s abilities, and while Arians was forced to take over head coaching duties while Pagano battled leukemia, his offense got the job done. Luck was admittedly inconsistent, but the Colts scored 357 points (18th in football) with Luck averaging 10 yards in the air per pass (according to ESPN Stats & Information), more than anybody else in football.

... What Hamilton ended up installing was a version of the West Coast offense with plenty of traditional, old-school running plays built in. Why would Hamilton go away from the vertical passing scheme that propelled the Colts into the playoffs? Best I can figure, five reasons:

1. It would play to Luck’s strengths as a passer.
... His average throw in 2013 traveled just under 8.0 yards in the air, dropping him from the longest throws in the league all the way to 23rd. But with that came improved accuracy, as Luck’s completion percentage rose from 54.1 percent to 60.2 percent. It naturally led to a drop in yards per attempt, but Luck lost only three-tenths of a yard per pass, falling from 7.0 yards per attempt in 2012 to 6.7 last year. Luck was a more productive passer under the new scheme on a per-play basis, especially because the new scheme would …

2. Reduce turnovers. Indianapolis’s biggest problem on offense in 2012 came with turning the ball over; the Colts were 22nd in turnover rate in 2012, with Luck throwing 18 interceptions while also leading the league in dropped interceptions. Some of that was due to a young quarterback trying to make plays, but Arians’s scheme and those long passes lent themselves to a higher chance of interceptions, as passes that travel 15 yards or more in the air are nearly four times as likely to be intercepted as passes that travel fewer than 15 yards in the air. With even the typical passing play more than four times as likely to produce a turnover than a typical running play, more runs and shorter passes would suggest a dramatic reduction in Indy’s turnover rate.

That’s exactly what happened. After throwing interceptions on 2.9 percent of his passes as a rookie, Luck’s interception rate dropped to 1.6 percent during his 2013 campaign. Indy also enjoyed some fumble luck, as its offense put the ball on the turf 16 times, but lost only four of those fumbles.2 In all, the Colts turned the ball over on just 7.3 percent of their drives in 2013, the best rate in the league.

3. Keep Andrew Luck from getting killed. Even as early as 2012, the Colts knew they were doing their star quarterback an injustice in pass protection. Luck dropped back 668 times during his rookie season and was sacked or knocked down to the ground, per Football Outsiders, on 122 of those plays, producing a hit rate of 18.3 percent. For reference, the second-most-hit quarterback in football in 2012 was Aaron Rodgers, who was knocked down 93 times. With shorter, quicker passing plays and a dollop of balance from the rushing attack, Hamilton undoubtedly thought he could keep opposing defenses from teeing off on Luck quite so frequently.

This worked, if not very much. Luck was still the most hit quarterback in football, but this time, he was hit only 115 times. That’s technically better! The gap between him and the next most battered quarterback, Matt Ryan, was a mere 12 hits. Unfortunately, if you consider the hits on a per-drop-back basis, Luck was knocked down 19.1 percent of the time he went back to pass, which was actually an increase of his 2012 hit rate.

4. It fit at least some of Indianapolis’s personnel. While I’m sure there was plenty of discussion about how they wanted to build their offense, the Colts invested heavily in offensive linemen during the 2013 offseason. They gave a big-money contract to right tackle Gosder Cherilus while also adding 305-pound Patriots guard Donald Thomas. The team already had tight end Dwayne Allen, who profiled as one of the league’s best blocking tight ends after his rookie season. Nobody could have known this as Hamilton installed his scheme over the spring and summer, but the Colts would even trade for Trent Richardson, the best running back prospect since Adrian Peterson, in mid-September. That’s not enough to have the Colts turn Luck into a handoff machine, but you can see the components of a good power-running game there if things break right.

Injuries dramatically affected those plans. Allen suffered a season-ending injury in Week 1, as did incumbent starting halfback Vick Ballard, which led to the Richardson trade. Thomas tore his quadriceps a week later, ending his season. (He tore the quadriceps again in July and will miss all of 2014, as well.) Richardson wasn’t injured, but he sure hurt. Whatever it might have seemed like in August, the people who suited up for the Colts as the season went along weren’t a great fit for a power-running scheme.

5. It would open up the play-action pass. There’s nothing a coach loves more than the play-action pass. You get to justify smashmouth football and put one over on the opposing coaches all at once. If the Colts could complete short passes and establish the run, the play-action pass would be the final piece of the triangle, allowing Luck to take advantage of overstretched defenses and retain his vertical streak from the Arians days.

That didn’t go very well at all. Here’s Luck’s QBR (with rank among quarterbacks in parentheses) on play-action and non-play-action passes in 2012 and 2013:
Go to the link for the rest of the read.

Ran into some tables that dont' cut-and-paste here.

But after reading this its hard for me to criticise Pep Hamilton and what he was attempting to do last year.

Really interesting and it certainly goes against the grain of the group mind-think of the fantasy community which has evicerated Peop as being clueless but that doesn't appear to be the case at all.

I disagree. Pep wanted to play smash-mouth football. They did that for 2+ qtrs and then turned it over to Luck to bring them back. That exposes Luck way more than passing in the first half.

Those mind-numbing Trent middle, Trent right, 3rd and 8s tough to watch! That helped no one.

Rotoworld:

Andrew Luck - QB - Colts

Coach Chuck Pagano seemed to hint that the Colts will lean toward an aggressive passing offense in hopes it will kick start their running game.

"I think having the capability to do the other thing is going to open things up in the run game for us," said Pagano. Trent Richardson has two eight-yard gains in the preseason, and 16 yards on his other 12 carries. Both eight-yarders came on shotgun runs -- a passing formation. Richardson has been unsuccessful without room to operate, and pass-oriented sets might give him more space. From a personnel standpoint, Indy's roster strength is its QB and pass-catching corps.

Aug 20 - 10:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/7083/trent-richardson-has-gotten-off-to-slow-start-rushing

This team may just be playing coy but I find it hard to believe that any coaching staff, as a collective unit, would fail to recognize what they must do given all the passing weapons, a true franchise QB (maybe a generational top talent), and the struggles and lack of depth on the o-line and running game.

This is a situation where jobs are on the line should they fail to take advantage because even a casual football observer can plainly see there are different coaching personnel that could be brought in to Indy with the talent they have that could ramp up this passing game. §

Users who are viewing this thread