What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (5 Viewers)

Thousands dead, few prosecuted.

Cops have had open season on Americans for far too long. Sickening.
Americans per se are not at risk. Black Americans are. Latino Americans are. The rest of us are fine.
In 2014 twice as many whites were killed by police as blacks. http://thereelnetwork.net/the-primary-victims-of-police-brutality-and-theyre-not-black-people/This linking of police brutality with racism may be correct. Heck, I actually kind of want it to be correct at some level. But there's one small problem. The facts just don't support it. And the latest studies don't support it either. What the facts and studies do show is that blacks are probably unfairly targeted (profiled) by police; that there appears to be a disparity in sentencing as compared to whites; and that blacks are approached by just about everyone in society (cops, retailers, even 5 year old children) with a negative implicit bias. And what recent research also shows is that cops are actually LESS LIKELY to discharge their weapon on a black person for fear of being charged with a crime (the University of Washington study that I have posted a few times).

This linkage of police brutality to racism is not supported by the facts, but it is bought into hook-line-and-sinker by the liberal media, and now by proxy - mainstream America. Until I see some conclusive evidence showing racist malice by police officers, I'm not buying it. And once again, I am open and willing to see it, and if it does in fact exist - I will gladly join the crusade.
And because there are the same number of black people as white people in the country, that statistic holds up.
It holds up quite well when I'm responding to a post that says specifically that whites are not subject to police brutality.

Americans per se are not at risk. Black Americans are. Latino Americans are. The rest of us are fine.
In 2014 twice as many whites were killed by police as blacks. http://thereelnetwork.net/the-primary-victims-of-police-brutality-and-theyre-not-black-people/This linking of police brutality with racism may be correct. Heck, I actually kind of want it to be correct at some level. But there's one small problem. The facts just don't support it. And the latest studies don't support it either. What the facts and studies do show is that blacks are probably unfairly targeted (profiled) by police; that there appears to be a disparity in sentencing as compared to whites; and that blacks are approached by just about everyone in society (cops, retailers, even 5 year old children) with a negative implicit bias. And what recent research also shows is that cops are actually LESS LIKELY to discharge their weapon on a black person for fear of being charged with a crime (the University of Washington study that I have posted a few times).

This linkage of police brutality to racism is not supported by the facts, but it is bought into hook-line-and-sinker by the liberal media, and now by proxy - mainstream America. Until I see some conclusive evidence showing racist malice by police officers, I'm not buying it. And once again, I am open and willing to see it, and if it does in fact exist - I will gladly join the crusade.
And because there are the same number of black people as white people in the country, that statistic holds up.
It holds up quite well when I'm responding to a post that says specifically that whites are not subject to police brutality.
So outside of the bolded, your conclusion is complete horse ####. Nice work. You're improving.

Yeah guys, quite aware of the percentage thing.

Blacks obviously have a higher percentage of negative encounters than the 13% of the U.S. population they account for. But that in and of itself doesn't tell me that it's due to a racist police force. It could just be indicative of the fact that through various socio-economic reasons blacks commit more crimes than whites, or that maybe because of cultural issues are more prone to resist arrest and put themselves in position for a negative police encounter that would engender some form of brutality. It's a multi-variate analysis with a lot of different factors at play.

The stat I'd like to see is this, by race:

Incidents of police violence / Total number of encounters with police

Even this ratio has its flaws, and hopefully the data could be scrubbed somewhat by deleting the clear instances of justifiable force, but it's a good start to analyzing if there is true racism going on here.

Last edited:
Yeah guys, quite aware of the percentage thing. Learned it in 3rd or 4th grade.

Blacks obviously have a higher percentage of negative encounters than the 13% of the U.S. population they account for. But that in and of itself doesn't tell me that it's due to a racist police force. It could just be indicative of the fact that through various socio-economic reasons blacks commit more crimes than whites, or that maybe because of cultural issues are more prone to resist arrest and put themselves in position for a negative police encounter that would engender some form of brutality. It's a multi-variate analysis with a lot of different factors at play.

The stat I'd like to see is this, by race:

Incidents of police violence / Total number of encounters with police

Even this ratio has its flaws, and hopefully the data could be scrubbed somewhat by deleting the clear instances of justifiable force, but it's a good start to analyzing if there is true racism going on here.
All of the stats will. They're all so open to interpretation - which is what's kept it so hard to prosecute law enforcement for systemic brutality in this country. And why our citizens get killed by police about 50 times more often than the rest of the developed world.

Short Corner said:
General Tso said:
Henry Ford said:
General Tso said:
timschochet said:
Todd Andrews said:

So outside of the bolded, your conclusion is complete horse ####. Nice work. You're improving.
Care to bring anything to this discussion other than your usual idiotic one liners? Seriously dude, it's amazing that someone with your intelligence (evidenced solely by my knowledge that you are an actuary) has not once - not one single time - contributed something of value to this discussion. Time to check yourself ace, cuz your act has gotten very old.

Looks like the article is linking to the wrong guy. This is not the Christian Taylor who is 6'5" 335. Meaningful because the Christian Taylor here appears to be much much smaller (5'9" 180).My first question is, how are there any cops still in this country without body cameras? Wtf? They are relatively inexpensive and highly effective. No excuse for them not being implemented in every single department after all we have seen this year.

Unfortunately, without a video to look at, we really have no basis to evaluate if this was a justified shooting or not. Police say there was a struggle, but they also said that with Walter Scott. Gets back to the body cameras...

"Officers were responding to a burglary call about 1 a.m. Friday in Arlington when they discovered someone had driven a vehicle through a front window of the Classic Buick GMC""Taylor's great uncle, Clyde Fuller of Grand Prairie, Texas, described Taylor as ''a good kid'' and said he didn't believe that Taylor was trying to commit a crime."

Just a good kid out at 1am crashing into car dealerships.

I think the officers had body cams here, so let's see what they show, but again, on face value, this sure doesn't look like a case #blacklivesmatter will want to hang their hat on. Especially reading this guys tweets and so forth--he was already looking for a situation to happen with a cop.

This could be bad for cops. The old reliable excuse for shooting unarmed guys in their cars - the officer was being dragged by the vehicle and he fired in self-defense - could be starting to crumble.

Honestly, how many times have you read that as a justification for a shooting? It always struck me as bizarre and somewhat suspicious that all these cops are getting dragged around by cars.
I'd probably just let go as soon as the car moved. Shows I'm too much of a ##### to be a cop.

This could be bad for cops. The old reliable excuse for shooting unarmed guys in their cars - the officer was being dragged by the vehicle and he fired in self-defense - could be starting to crumble.

Honestly, how many times have you read that as a justification for a shooting? It always struck me as bizarre and somewhat suspicious that all these cops are getting dragged around by cars.
I'd probably just let go as soon as the car moved. Shows I'm too much of a ##### to be a cop.
Too smart?

"Officers were responding to a burglary call about 1 a.m. Friday in Arlington when they discovered someone had driven a vehicle through a front window of the Classic Buick GMC""Taylor's great uncle, Clyde Fuller of Grand Prairie, Texas, described Taylor as ''a good kid'' and said he didn't believe that Taylor was trying to commit a crime."

Just a good kid out at 1am crashing into car dealerships.
I just watched the surveillance video. He broke into cars, rammed his car through a gate, ran his car through the showroom window and then appearently had a confrontation with police. That's a lot of unfortunate events for a guy not trying to commit a crime.

http://youtu.be/7mP_kJE4D9U

What a joke. The kid got exactly what he wanted - to be killed by cops so he could be a martyr for the cause. The whole BLM movement has gone completely off the rails.

I wonder what the clown who created this webcast will say after seeing the video. http://youtu.be/PeP-x-InzE4

I love the part where he asserts that three people at the dealer were emphatic that the officers lied and that Christian Taylor was not trying to break into any cars. Might want to look at the video footage of him actually, you know, knocking out a windshield and then climbing into a car.

Last edited:

What a joke. The kid got exactly what he wanted - to be killed by cops so he could be a martyr for the cause. The whole BLM movement has gone completely off the rails.

I wonder what the clown who created this webcast will say after seeing the video. http://youtu.be/PeP-x-InzE4

I love the part where he asserts that three people at the dealer were emphatic that the officers lied and that Christian Taylor was not trying to break into any cars. Might want to look at the video footage of him actually, you know, knocking out a windshield and then climbing into a car.
I didn't see the actual shooting in that video. Did I miss it?

Yenrub said:
The kid got exactly what he wanted - to be killed by cops so he could be a martyr for the cause.
How do you know what the young man wanted?
You got a better explanation? He tweeted "I don't wanna die too younggggg" after the Michael Brown shooting, and then in December tweeted "Police taking black lives as easy as flippin a coin, with no consequences smh". And then he goes to a car dealership and starts vandalizing and jumping on cars in what looks to be an attempt to elicit a police response. Then he crashes his car into the dealership. When the cops show up, he disobeys their commands and resists. Sounds to me like a kid who wanted to be a martyr for the cause.

Last edited:
Yenrub said:
The kid got exactly what he wanted - to be killed by cops so he could be a martyr for the cause.
The General is tapped into the minds black people. He has friends that are black.
And a black half sister and a black ex girlfriend. But that's not where I learned to identify twisted minds. It was in here, listening to people like you.

Yenrub said:
You got a better explanation? He tweeted "I don't wanna die too younggggg" after the Michael Brown shooting, and then in December tweeted "Police taking black lives as easy as flippin a coin, with no consequences smh". And then he goes to a car dealership and starts vandalizing and jumping on cars in what looks to be an attempt to elicit a police response. Then he crashes his car into the dealership. When the cops show up, he disobeys their commands and resists. Sounds to me like a kid who wanted to be a martyr for the cause.
Was that on the video? I missed it.

Yenrub said:
You gotta better explanation? He tweeted "I don't wanna die too younggggg" after the Michael Nrown shooting, and then in December tweeted "Police taking black lives as easy as flippin a coin, with no consequences smh". And then he goes to a car dealership and starts vandalizing and jumping on cars in what looks to be an attempt to elicit a police response. Then he crashes his car into the dealership. When the cops show up, he disobeys their commands and resists. Sounds to me like a kid who wanted to be a martyr for the cause.
I'd like to hear more about this particular insight. When did he tweet this, exactly? Right after the Brown shooting or like a couple weeks/months after? What do you think it meant in the context of his plan to get killed in a car dealership many months later? Do you think it's amazing coincidence that a local rapper released a song with that exact same title/chorus? Or was Taylor working with Post Malone on the lyics?

Or maybe, just maybe, you have the timeline wrong and don't know nearly as much about the background and mindset of 19 year old black kid as you think you do?

Yenrub said:
LOL. "Hands up don't shoot" right?

Yenrub said:
So its not on there? You haven't seen when he got killed? You are just accepting the cops' story without question?

I kind of figured but I appreciate you confirming that.

Yenrub said:
I didn’t know the young man so no I don’t have an ‘explanation’ anything I type would be a guess

Also unless you miss quoted him the 1st tweet doesn’t seem to support a young man looking to commit suicide by police.

Another question – How do you know he disobeyed the police officers commands and resisted? Is there audio or video of this happening?

Yenrub said:
You gotta better explanation? He tweeted "I don't wanna die too younggggg" after the Michael Nrown shooting, and then in December tweeted "Police taking black lives as easy as flippin a coin, with no consequences smh". And then he goes to a car dealership and starts vandalizing and jumping on cars in what looks to be an attempt to elicit a police response. Then he crashes his car into the dealership. When the cops show up, he disobeys their commands and resists. Sounds to me like a kid who wanted to be a martyr for the cause.
I'd like to hear more about this particular insight. When did he tweet this, exactly? Right after the Brown shooting or like a couple weeks/months after? What do you think it meant in the context of his plan to get killed in a car dealership many months later? Do you think it's amazing coincidence that a local rapper released a song with that exact same title/chorus? Or was Taylor working with Post Malone on the lyics?

Or maybe, just maybe, you have the timeline wrong and don't know nearly as much about the background and mindset of 19 year old black kid as you think you do?
oh ok. Is this the part where you did your heels in on a meaningless point, once again showing your propensity to lose the forest through the trees?Tell me Tobias, what was this innocent young black man doing at the car dealership? Shopping?

Yenrub said:
So its not on there? You haven't seen when he got killed? You are just accepting the cops' story without question?

It will be investigated. What is the current evidence that contradicts what the police are saying?

Yenrub said:
I didnt know the young man so no I dont have an explanation anything I type would be a guessAlso unless you miss quoted him the 1st tweet doesnt seem to support a young man looking to commit suicide by police.

Another question How do you know he disobeyed the police officers commands and resisted? Is there audio or video of this happening?
I know enough to know that I would trust those cops any day over that kid based on what I saw in the video. Sorry dude, but in case you haven't noticed the BLM movement has a bit of a credibility issue lately.

Yenrub said:

It will be investigated. What is the current evidence that contradicts what the police are saying?
I've not seen any video so I don't know what happened. But I certainly wouldn't just blindly accept the police's explanation without further investigation. I'm pretty surprised anyone would.

He was not trying to break into those vehicles, he intended to detail them. Being inexperienced he was just using poor technique. Had anybody taken the time to train the kid, give him a chamois, and explain to him the Dealerships hours none of this would have happened.

Yenrub said:

oh ok. Is this the part where you did your heels in on a meaningless point, once again showing your propensity to lose the forest through the trees?Tell me Tobias, what was this innocent young black man doing at the car dealership? Shopping?
No, it's the part where I point out that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

You were asked how it is you know what the young man wanted. Your response was to cite two of his tweets and then recite (incorrectly, as it turns out) the events that led to his death. One of those tweets was a rap lyric, the other was a sentiment that I'd guess almost every young black person in America has expressed about the police treatment of black lives in the last year. Forest for the trees? By your own words this formed the basis for your own conclusions. If you don't want that evidence to be judged, or in this case ridiculed, maybe don't use it to form misguided conclusions?

I don't know what he was doing at the car dealership. I don't know if he was innocent. That's the difference between me and you, I guess- I acknowledge that I don't know everything about everyone, and that there's certain blanks that shouldn't be filled in without actual knowledge. Whereas you can see two tweets, interpret them poorly, and reach a definitive conclusion about what motivated someone you don't know to do something you saw in a video clip.

Yenrub said:

I don’t think that Tobias or anyone else is implying that this young man was not breaking the law, clearly he was. The question is when did breaking the law become an automatic death sentence?

Yenrub said:

I've not seen any video so I don't know what happened. But I certainly wouldn't just blindly accept the police's explanation without further investigation. I'm pretty surprised anyone would.
There will obviously be an investigation.

Yenrub said:
I didnt know the young man so no I dont have an explanation anything I type would be a guessAlso unless you miss quoted him the 1st tweet doesnt seem to support a young man looking to commit suicide by police.

Another question How do you know he disobeyed the police officers commands and resisted? Is there audio or video of this happening?
I know enough to know that I would trust those cops any day over that kid based on what I saw in the video. Sorry dude, but in case you haven't noticed the BLM movement has a bit of a credibility issue lately.
What is the connection with this young man and the BLM movement?

Did he say something about BLM before he vandalized the cars or drove into the dealership?

I’m missing his connection

Yenrub said:

I never said not to investigate. All I said was that in my opinion the kid was on a suicide mission - an opinion that is more than reasonable given the evidence we have seen thus far.

Yenrub said:

What is the connection with this young man and the BLM movement?Did he say something about BLM before he vandalized the cars or drove into the dealership?

Im missing his connection
https://news.vice.com/article/questions-surround-police-shooting-of-christian-taylor-as-video-and-audio-emerge

Taylor posted several statements on Twitter saying he was concerned about the way police treat black suspects.

He said in one tweet that he did not "feel protected by police," and remarked in another, "Our police system is a joke, when will we ever be protected?" He also expressed solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement, and said he did not want to die young.

Yenrub said:

What is the connection with this young man and the BLM movement?Did he say something about BLM before he vandalized the cars or drove into the dealership?

https://news.vice.com/article/questions-surround-police-shooting-of-christian-taylor-as-video-and-audio-emerge

Taylor posted several statements on Twitter saying he was concerned about the way police treat black suspects.

He said in one tweet that he did not "feel protected by police," and remarked in another, "Our police system is a joke, when will we ever be protected?" He also expressed solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement, and said he did not want to die young.
Thanks for the link

There isn’t enough info (for me anyway) to conclude that the young man wanted to be a martyr for BLM.

I have no idea why he did what he did. He could have been high and out of his mind. He might have a deep hatred of gray Mustangs. I guess he could have wanted to me a martyr. Who knows.

His tweet about the police is from December 24th 2014 - I wouldn’t connect that tweet to what he did last week

His tweet about Black lives matter also says All lives matter – I don’t keep up with all the hash tag wars but would a “martyr” for BLM use ALM together?

His tweet saying ‘I don’t wanna die too young’ – This tweet was about a week before he was shot. Doesn’t seem like someone wanting to commit death by suicide

Yenrub said:

Thanks for the linkThere isnt enough info (for me anyway) to conclude that the young man wanted to be a martyr for BLM.

I have no idea why he did what he did. He could have been high and out of his mind. He might have a deep hatred of gray Mustangs. I guess he could have wanted to me a martyr. Who knows.

His tweet about the police is from December 24th 2014 - I wouldnt connect that tweet to what he did last week

His tweet about Black lives matter also says All lives matter I dont keep up with all the hash tag wars but would a martyr for BLM use ALM together?

His tweet saying I dont wanna die too young This tweet was about a week before he was shot. Doesnt seem like someone wanting to commit death by suicide
It's similar to Sandra Bland. She said similar stuff, such as "You could stand there, surrender to the cops, and still be killed". You think she committed suicide? Or do you think the cops murdered her?

i love when a bunch of white internet guys get together and talk about why black people do what they do lol
Is it any worse than white internet guys pretending to know the motives behind why a cop did what he did? And that happens a lot more I might add.

Last edited:
Hey - its a good start. Nice work, Mr. President. Now lets get it all back and end the 1033 program:

Ferguson forced to return Humvees as US military gear still flows to local police

The city of Ferguson, Missouri, is being forced by the Obama administration to return two military vehicles that it obtained from the Pentagon, amid widespread concern and criticism over the deployment on American streets of equipment intended for war zones.

The US Department of Defense will reclaim a pair of Humvees that were given to the beleaguered St Louis suburb under a controversial program to distribute surplus weapons, vehicles and other gear, according to several government officials involved in the process.

"They have simply informed us they will be taking them back,” Jeff Small, a spokesman for Ferguson, told the Guardian in an email.
---

“We want to make sure that any militarization reforms are permanent,” Bennett said. “The steps the administration has taken could be undone by the next administration, and we want to codify some of those reforms and, if there’s appetite, go further.”

The Pentagon’s controversial program to disburse surplus military equipment to local law enforcement, for instance, has seen more cosmetic change than substantive emendation.

The May directive, the major result of Barack Obama’s post-Ferguson “review” of police militarization, recommended that the so-called “1033” equipment distribution effort add oversight provisions, not ban currently provided tactical equipment, vehicles and weaponry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yenrub said:

No, it's the part where I point out that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

You were asked how it is you know what the young man wanted. Your response was to cite two of his tweets and then recite (incorrectly, as it turns out) the events that led to his death. One of those tweets was a rap lyric, the other was a sentiment that I'd guess almost every young black person in America has expressed about the police treatment of black lives in the last year. Forest for the trees? By your own words this formed the basis for your own conclusions. If you don't want that evidence to be judged, or in this case ridiculed, maybe don't use it to form misguided conclusions?

I don't know what he was doing at the car dealership. I don't know if he was innocent. That's the difference between me and you, I guess- I acknowledge that I don't know everything about everyone, and that there's certain blanks that shouldn't be filled in without actual knowledge. Whereas you can see two tweets, interpret them poorly, and reach a definitive conclusion about what motivated someone you don't know to do something you saw in a video clip.
We are no different, you and me. You attribute motives to the police in all these events with just as scant evidence.Let me ask you once again, what other conclusion can you draw on his motives that would make more sense? In an era where blacks are baiting police, where only a month ago we had Sandra Bland likely commit a martyr type suicide, why would this guy do what he did? If it was to vandalize, why did he wait a full 15 minutes until the police showed up? What was he doing Tobias? Picking out his next truck?

And it's totally appropriate to ask questions about his motive, because if indeed it was suicide by cop then that not only explains what he was doing, but also helps exonerate the officer.

Last edited:
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/arlington/article30711012.html

While outlining the events leading up to the fatal shooting of Christian Taylor, Johnson said rookie officer Brad Miller exercised poor judgment that led to cascading consequences.

Millers unilateral decision to enter the building alone and to pursue [Christian Taylor] helpd create an unrecoverable outcome, Johnson said, adding that the decision put other officers on the scene at risk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread