What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Killing Of Police Officers At the Hands of Criminals (1 Viewer)

Nice story about some good policing. Well done, Officer Boyd:

Link

They stand posing for the camera with smiles on their faces, arms around each other’s shoulders – a neighborhood beat cop and the attacker he nearly shot.

As of today, this Facebook snapshot has circled the Earth, finding its way to more than 250,000 eyes, generating a quarter-million “likes” from a public saturated with more ominous pictures from the streets.

That these two are both alive and forgiving enough to shake hands shows us a glimpse at what is possible in the tensest moments, a sight too rarely seen.

“No one is lost forever,” Officer J.D. Boyd wrote in his celebrated post. “I was glad it ended well for us both that day, and I am ecstatic now to learn that he has turned his life around and we can embrace as friends.”

It happened in October, in the early afternoon. Boyd spotted a fight between a man and a woman in the parking lot of Raleigh North Millbank Court, and he drove his patrol car through the grass to break it up. The woman ran when he approached, but the man took a swing at his head. After he ducked and drew his baton, Boyd saw his assailant was carrying a knife.

“I saw the knife had blood on it,” said Boyd, a Raleigh officer since 2011. “I didn’t know if it was my blood, his blood or whose blood it was.”

Striking the man with the baton had no effect. Boyd stepped back and drew his gun, but the fighting man barked at him angrily.

“We were in kind of a standoff,” said Boyd, who is also a Marine veteran who served in Afghanistan. “I did not want to engage him.”

They stood there, both armed, until more Raleigh officers arrived. At that point, Cory Sanders surrendered to police with a minor injury on his hand, getting charged with aggravated assault. Boyd, unhurt, had not fired a shot. Almost a year later, hearing him tell this story outside the same apartment, I asked Boyd how close he’d come to pulling the trigger.

“I’m not going to talk about that, sir,” he told me, and I don’t blame him.

It turns out Boyd and I have talked before, and you’ve probably seen him. Last February, he organized a snowball fight in Lions Park between himself and residents on his beat – a friendly melee that also sparked viral videos.

But he’s well-known for his Facebook posts: warnings residents about slippery roads, warning drivers not to speed on certain streets, letting followers know about upticks in phone scams. He participates in a popular Stolen Bikes thread, uploading pictures of bikes officers have gotten back.

“I’ve recovered a lot of bikes through there,” he said. “I’m a rider myself. I had a bike stolen myself when I was a kid.”

But the story of his attack on Raleigh Boulevard didn’t come full circle until last week, when he spotted Sanders, now 27, at the apartments. They talked for 15 minutes, when Boyd learned that he’d gotten himself together with the help of probation officers. He had a job and a new baby on the way.

“He apologized,” Boyd said. “I had forgiven him a long time ago. It was never personal. ... I don’t want to just be the guy who shows up when something bad happens.”

So he and Sanders posed for a picture, which Boyd then posted.

“Almost a year ago, this man and I were involved in a major altercation where he tried to stab me in the head and I nearly shot him,” the officer wrote. “No one is ever lost forever. and as long as you continue to work to be a better version of yourself than you were yesterday things will work out eventually.”

On Wednesday, with TV cameras swarming around his door, Sanders gave Boyd a quick fist bump and said, “It’s all good.”

But his girlfriend Kendra Powell, 25, elaborated. She called Cory a changed man, working a good-paying job and excited about their son, who is due in November.

“I’m not grateful for jail,” she said, “but it really gave him time to think. It feels like Boyd was truly a godsend that day. One mistake doesn’t have to rule your destiny. Even that day, that incident, was just random.”

Stories like this can end this way. Let’s hope more of them do.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/josh-shaffer/article35448294.html#storylink=cpy

Nice story about some good policing. Well done, Officer Boyd:

Link

They stand posing for the camera with smiles on their faces, arms around each other’s shoulders – a neighborhood beat cop and the attacker he nearly shot.

As of today, this Facebook snapshot has circled the Earth, finding its way to more than 250,000 eyes, generating a quarter-million “likes” from a public saturated with more ominous pictures from the streets.

That these two are both alive and forgiving enough to shake hands shows us a glimpse at what is possible in the tensest moments, a sight too rarely seen.

“No one is lost forever,” Officer J.D. Boyd wrote in his celebrated post. “I was glad it ended well for us both that day, and I am ecstatic now to learn that he has turned his life around and we can embrace as friends.”

It happened in October, in the early afternoon. Boyd spotted a fight between a man and a woman in the parking lot of Raleigh North Millbank Court, and he drove his patrol car through the grass to break it up. The woman ran when he approached, but the man took a swing at his head. After he ducked and drew his baton, Boyd saw his assailant was carrying a knife.

“I saw the knife had blood on it,” said Boyd, a Raleigh officer since 2011. “I didn’t know if it was my blood, his blood or whose blood it was.”

Striking the man with the baton had no effect. Boyd stepped back and drew his gun, but the fighting man barked at him angrily.

“We were in kind of a standoff,” said Boyd, who is also a Marine veteran who served in Afghanistan. “I did not want to engage him.”

They stood there, both armed, until more Raleigh officers arrived. At that point, Cory Sanders surrendered to police with a minor injury on his hand, getting charged with aggravated assault. Boyd, unhurt, had not fired a shot. Almost a year later, hearing him tell this story outside the same apartment, I asked Boyd how close he’d come to pulling the trigger.

“I’m not going to talk about that, sir,” he told me, and I don’t blame him.

It turns out Boyd and I have talked before, and you’ve probably seen him. Last February, he organized a snowball fight in Lions Park between himself and residents on his beat – a friendly melee that also sparked viral videos.

But he’s well-known for his Facebook posts: warnings residents about slippery roads, warning drivers not to speed on certain streets, letting followers know about upticks in phone scams. He participates in a popular Stolen Bikes thread, uploading pictures of bikes officers have gotten back.

“I’ve recovered a lot of bikes through there,” he said. “I’m a rider myself. I had a bike stolen myself when I was a kid.”

But the story of his attack on Raleigh Boulevard didn’t come full circle until last week, when he spotted Sanders, now 27, at the apartments. They talked for 15 minutes, when Boyd learned that he’d gotten himself together with the help of probation officers. He had a job and a new baby on the way.

“He apologized,” Boyd said. “I had forgiven him a long time ago. It was never personal. ... I don’t want to just be the guy who shows up when something bad happens.”

So he and Sanders posed for a picture, which Boyd then posted.

“Almost a year ago, this man and I were involved in a major altercation where he tried to stab me in the head and I nearly shot him,” the officer wrote. “No one is ever lost forever. and as long as you continue to work to be a better version of yourself than you were yesterday things will work out eventually.”

On Wednesday, with TV cameras swarming around his door, Sanders gave Boyd a quick fist bump and said, “It’s all good.”

But his girlfriend Kendra Powell, 25, elaborated. She called Cory a changed man, working a good-paying job and excited about their son, who is due in November.

“I’m not grateful for jail,” she said, “but it really gave him time to think. It feels like Boyd was truly a godsend that day. One mistake doesn’t have to rule your destiny. Even that day, that incident, was just random.”

Stories like this can end this way. Let’s hope more of them do.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/josh-shaffer/article35448294.html#storylink=cpy
i have a cop like this in my city...class act all the way

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/30/officer-involved-shooting-reported-at-south-carolina-mall/?intcmp=hpbt3

FOREST ACRES, S.C. A police officer responding to a report of a suspicious person was fatally shot at a suburban South Carolina mall on Wednesday, and police say a suspect is in custody.

The incident began when the report came in just before 8 a.m., Forest Acres police Chief Gene Sealy told reporters. Two officers responded and attempted to talk to the person, who fled on foot and ran through parts of Richland Mall, including the Barnes and Noble bookstore, officials said.

Officer Greg Alia confronted the person, there was a struggle, and he was shot, Sealy said.

He was taken to a hospital and later died, officials said. No other injuries were reported.

Sealy said a suspect is in custody and is being questioned. Sealy described the man as being armed with a handgun and a knife at the mall. Police did not detail any charges against the man and did not take questions at their news conference.

Sealy said Alia was 32 years old and a seven-year veteran of the department. He and his wife, Kassy, recently had a baby, Sealy said.

"We hope everybody prays for Greg's family," Sealy said. "They will need strength."

Hours after the shooting, most of the mall anchored by a department store, the bookstore and a theater complex was closed. Traffic flowed and the parking garage was open, but the main entrance was closed by yellow crime scene tape. Customers pulled in and out of a gas station on the corner. A nearby high school was locked down briefly.

Forest Acres is a residential town virtually surrounded by Columbia. Sealy described it as "a small community, a small police department, but one big family."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/30/officer-involved-shooting-reported-at-south-carolina-mall/?intcmp=hpbt3

FOREST ACRES, S.C. A police officer responding to a report of a suspicious person was fatally shot at a suburban South Carolina mall on Wednesday, and police say a suspect is in custody.

The incident began when the report came in just before 8 a.m., Forest Acres police Chief Gene Sealy told reporters. Two officers responded and attempted to talk to the person, who fled on foot and ran through parts of Richland Mall, including the Barnes and Noble bookstore, officials said.

Officer Greg Alia confronted the person, there was a struggle, and he was shot, Sealy said.

He was taken to a hospital and later died, officials said. No other injuries were reported.

Sealy said a suspect is in custody and is being questioned. Sealy described the man as being armed with a handgun and a knife at the mall. Police did not detail any charges against the man and did not take questions at their news conference.

Sealy said Alia was 32 years old and a seven-year veteran of the department. He and his wife, Kassy, recently had a baby, Sealy said.

"We hope everybody prays for Greg's family," Sealy said. "They will need strength."

Hours after the shooting, most of the mall anchored by a department store, the bookstore and a theater complex was closed. Traffic flowed and the parking garage was open, but the main entrance was closed by yellow crime scene tape. Customers pulled in and out of a gas station on the corner. A nearby high school was locked down briefly.

Forest Acres is a residential town virtually surrounded by Columbia. Sealy described it as "a small community, a small police department, but one big family."
I bet the ACLU doesn't have anything to say.

What would the ACLU have to do with a police officer being shot?

What would the ACLU have to do with a police officer being shot?
Nary a peep the National Rural Letter Carriers' Association. And don't even get me started on the Utah Jazz ... crickets. What a bunch of cowards and hypocrites.

whoknew said:
The Associated Press @AP

BREAKING: Official: Authorities will announce that Ill. officer's shooting death, which triggered massive manhunt in September, was suicide.
The death of Fox Lake, Illinois, police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz was "a carefully planned suicide," Lake County Major Crimes Task Force commander George Filenko said Wednesday. "This staged suicide was the end result of extensive criminal acts that Gliniewicz had been committing."

ETA: Radley Balko @radleybalko

Remember, the medical examiner hinted at Fox Lake suicide weeks ago, was quickly hushed, shamed by local police officials.

Last edited by a moderator:
whoknew said:
The Associated Press @AP

BREAKING: Official: Authorities will announce that Ill. officer's shooting death, which triggered massive manhunt in September, was suicide.
The death of Fox Lake, Illinois, police Lt. Joe Gliniewicz was "a carefully planned suicide," Lake County Major Crimes Task Force commander George Filenko said Wednesday. "This staged suicide was the end result of extensive criminal acts that Gliniewicz had been committing."

ETA: Radley Balko @radleybalko

Remember, the medical examiner hinted at Fox Lake suicide weeks ago, was quickly hushed, shamed by local police officials.
Story is like a movie plot. Crazy.

And now the surrounding scandal is threatening to bring down at least two other officers. Crazy to think that USA Today used this case as evidence that BLM was leading to cop murders.

Horrible. What a ####.
Man did this moron screw over his family. If he would have gone out Gran Torino style, he would have at least allowed his family to receive death benefits. Total loser.

Of course, he's in the right thread. Police officer killed by criminal. He just happened to be both.

Could we get a list of the crimes we're allowed to blame on political movements and those we can't blame on political movements? And perhaps also the extent to which we need to establish ties between the criminals and the movement before we can blame them?

TIA
I think you'd have to be incredibly foolish to not realize this BLM is promoting an anti-cop agenda and violence against officers is spiraling out of control.
Sorry, just getting to this. How does violence against police officers stack up to historical violence against police officers? Because all the numbers I see show that it's down. Not up.

Could we get a list of the crimes we're allowed to blame on political movements and those we can't blame on political movements? And perhaps also the extent to which we need to establish ties between the criminals and the movement before we can blame them?

TIA
I think you'd have to be incredibly foolish to not realize this BLM is promoting an anti-cop agenda and violence against officers is spiraling out of control.
Sorry, just getting to this. How does violence against police officers stack up to historical violence against police officers? Because all the numbers I see show that it's down. Not up.
Oops

I'm genuinely interested. The FBI numbers show that this is one of the lowest periods of violence against the police ever, but I'm totally open to other numbers. Just haven't seen any. Are there others?

http://www.wmur.com/news/manhunt-underway-for-armed-suspect-in-manchester/39528618

Flying to Vegas today from MHT, was coming down around 4AM to pickup my father, who was going to drop us off and take our car, when we pulled to adjacent streets, only to be turned away by about two dozen police cars.  I rarely see police looking jittery in Manchester and noticed how worried the officer looked when they turned us away down another street.  Didn't realize until I read it later that two of their fellow officers had been shot and the suspect was on the loose.  Happened right by my fathers place (where I grew up) - we had to change plans, as he is in a shelter in place still.  Just nuts.

No discussion in here of the two police officers ambushed and murdered in their patrol cars two nights ago in Des Moines?

Insanity.  And we can say with some authority that the person they've arrested definitely didn't do it because of BLM. 

Horrible story out of Lubbock. Stupid damn kid - so many lives ruined. 

Hollis Alvin Daniels III, 19 — a Tech freshman from Seguin — reportedly told detectives “I ****** up” following his apprehension in the shooting death of Officer Floyd East Jr.

East reportedly took Daniels into custody for possession of a controlled substance following a student welfare check, the police report states.

Reports on Monday from university officials indicated officers located evidence of drugs along with drug paraphernalia upon entering Daniels’ room.

Shortly after, East reportedly took Daniels to the Tech Police Department where he was in the process of completing the booking paperwork for Daniels’ arrest when he was shot in the head.

A secondary officer said East was completing paperwork at a computer in a briefing room as Daniels reportedly faced the opposite direction of East, slightly offset from one another.

The secondary officer reportedly left the room when he heard a “loud bang.” When he returned to the briefing room, East had been mortally wounded, with an apparent gunshot wound.

“A .45-caliber RP shell casing was located near Officer East,” the report states. “(The secondary officer on scene) also advised Officer East’s police body camera was missing and Officer East’s pistol was in his holster.”

Daniels had not been handcuffed.

--

“Hollis Daniels then stated that he was the one that shot their friend,” the detective notes.

Once in custody, Daniels reportedly told police he “did something illogical."

Wish this is a thread we wouldn’t need, but the last week has been a terrible week for LEOs. I believe 5 dead nationwide including a deputy I personally knew here in Colorado Springs. 19 year old gang- banger stealing a car, shot three deputies and a citizen before he was taken out.

We have had three deputies killed here in Colorado in the past 30 days—just so sad.

Hopefully this is not an upward trend. Law enforcement deaths (per capita) hit an all-time low in 2013 and have remained relatively low since then.

Westerville, OH (Columbus) Two heroes were responding to a call today about two miles from where I was at the time. Apparently they were responding to a 911 hang up and were shot almost immediately after entering the apartment.

Westerville, OH (Columbus) Two heroes were responding to a call today about two miles from where I was at the time. Apparently they were responding to a 911 hang up and were shot almost immediately after entering the apartment.
Wow..when you read these things you just think it is sad.  We have friends who knew one of the officers.

This is my home town.   My mom is still there.   It happened at condos right by where we went to church.  Sad no matter where it would have happened, just hits home a little more.

FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- Three Colorado deputies have been killed in just more than a month, even though all three were wearing body armor.

It begs the question why this gear meant to save lives isn't doing the job.

Most vests issued by law enforcement agencies won't protect an officer from a round fired by a rifle, just a handgun.

Heavier, sturdier vests are often too cumbersome to wear, and are typically only worn by specialized units such as SWAT teams.

A Fort Collins-based company is on a mission to change that.

Angel Armor manufactures rifle plates for bullet-resistant vests. The plates are able to withstand rounds from handguns and rifles and cover most of an officer's vital organs.

"I think most officers don't know what they're issued. I never did. It's just here's your body armor take it. I wasn't really concerned about the level, I just figured it was something it would protect me," said Brian Brown, an officer with the Loveland Police Department.

Brown has been a patrol officer for the past 11 years. Many police agencies do provide patrol officers with bullet resistant vests.

The problem is, most will only stop rounds from handguns, not rifles.

"It's bullet resistant. It's not a bulletproof vest, it's bullet-resistant, and even then its specific rounds it's built and tested to," Brown said.

Larger, rifle-resistant vests are 20 to 40 pounds heavier. The rifle plates that Angel Armor manufactures are a solution to that problem.

Currently, only a handful of agencies provide the plates to their officers. In most cases, the officers have to purchase the plates themselves.

The smallest plates cost about $200 apiece.

There are federal grants law enforcement agencies that will cover half the cost.

As for the plates, it's gear Brian Brown believes in. This week, he is walking away from his career in law enforcement to begin a new one as a full-time sales representative for Angel Armor.

"I can tell you my wife is not disappointed that I'm leaving right now," Brown said. "I'm still serving my brothers and sisters out on the street and protecting them with 

http://kdvr.com/2018/02/07/colorado-company-creates-life-saving-bullet-proof-vests/

https://angelarmor.com/

Mile High said:
Mile High said:
FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- Three Colorado deputies have been killed in just more than a month, even though all three were wearing body armor.

It begs the question why this gear meant to save lives isn't doing the job.

Most vests issued by law enforcement agencies won't protect an officer from a round fired by a rifle, just a handgun.

Heavier, sturdier vests are often too cumbersome to wear, and are typically only worn by specialized units such as SWAT teams.

A Fort Collins-based company is on a mission to change that.

Angel Armor manufactures rifle plates for bullet-resistant vests. The plates are able to withstand rounds from handguns and rifles and cover most of an officer's vital organs.

"I think most officers don't know what they're issued. I never did. It's just here's your body armor take it. I wasn't really concerned about the level, I just figured it was something it would protect me," said Brian Brown, an officer with the Loveland Police Department.

Brown has been a patrol officer for the past 11 years. Many police agencies do provide patrol officers with bullet resistant vests.

The problem is, most will only stop rounds from handguns, not rifles.

"It's bullet resistant. It's not a bulletproof vest, it's bullet-resistant, and even then its specific rounds it's built and tested to," Brown said.

Larger, rifle-resistant vests are 20 to 40 pounds heavier. The rifle plates that Angel Armor manufactures are a solution to that problem.

Currently, only a handful of agencies provide the plates to their officers. In most cases, the officers have to purchase the plates themselves.

The smallest plates cost about $200 apiece.

There are federal grants law enforcement agencies that will cover half the cost.

As for the plates, it's gear Brian Brown believes in. This week, he is walking away from his career in law enforcement to begin a new one as a full-time sales representative for Angel Armor.

"I can tell you my wife is not disappointed that I'm leaving right now," Brown said. "I'm still serving my brothers and sisters out on the street and protecting them with 

http://kdvr.com/2018/02/07/colorado-company-creates-life-saving-bullet-proof-vests/

https://angelarmor.com/
Body armor is doing exactly what it was designed to do. The problem is more and more people are engaging the police with rifles, not handguns.

And Brian Brown is full of it. I don't know a single officer who doesn't know what their armor is (and isn't) capable of stopping.

Users who are viewing this thread