What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another pick my new android phone - but CHEAP style (1 Viewer)

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***
Ok.. because of a new family shared data plan we have at the office I can now get a phone with data... i've been rocking a mostly dumbphone for years (it did have a browser, i could check e-mail, sports scores, stock quotes, do a super basic google).

I have an Android Tablet so i'm already invested in that network with several paid apps and i will not even consider an Apple.

the new data plan w/ ATT means that to keep the deal i have to supply my own device (i.e. pay full price)

So, in my true cheapness I'm looking for a device that is a bit older that I can get for under $200 because it's insane what they want for new phones.. are people really paying $500-600 for Galaxy 5's? What wealth destruction!

My requirements: removable battery - i HAVE to have this.. i will not consider any phone that doesn't have this

Android 4.0+

4G LTE capable

also I would really like a device that can pick up both a 2.4GHz and 5 GHz wireless signal (dual band)

1+ GB of RAM - I love multi-tasking

SMALL phone - i want a comfortable pocket phone - no phablet's... 4.5 or less inch screen is great

Right now about the only phone I"m seeing is the Samsung Galaxy 3 MINI

But I also know there are Chinese phones and all types of other phones with good specs out there that I'm not familiar with.

I'd also buy a FBG's gently used Android if anyone's selling one that meets those requirements.

Thoughts? Flames? Hilarity? Keep rocking my dumb phone and micro-tablet and screw it?

You seem to have pretty high demands for someone who has been using a dumbphone for so long.

I think your best bet is buying a used S4 or Note 3. I have a Note 2 that still works great, so if you can find one of them for cheaper it's still a solid device.

I would avoid anything too old like an S3. You probably are going to want something that came out in late 2012/2013

You seem to have pretty high demands for someone who has been using a dumbphone for so long.

I think your best bet is buying a used S4 or Note 3. I have a Note 2 that still works great, so if you can find one of them for cheaper it's still a solid device.

I would avoid anything too old like an S3. You probably are going to want something that came out in late 2012/2013
demands aren't that high... removable battery is just good sense.... small is for convenience... the RAM requirement isnt' that high... and dual band wifi is just smart

Wanting something that at least runs ice cream sandwich is also smart.

I don't mind used.. though.. late 2012 early 13 just meet my price point

What does the S4 have than the S3 doesn't?

I'm not sure exactly but I recall someone b**** about their S3 in one of the other android threads. That's an old device. Dentist needs to loosen up the purse strings and get a nice phone. What other device do you use as much as a smartphone? It is money well spent IMO. Unless he is a dentist in Guatemala he should be able to have a phone on par with most college kids.

Eta that reminds me what ever happened to the guy that started the thread about going to a Mexican dentist? Did they ever find his body?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure exactly but I recall someone b**** about their S3 in one of the other android threads. That's an old device. Dentist needs to loosen up the purse strings and get a nice phone. What other device do you use as much as a smartphone? It is money well spent IMO. Unless he is a dentist in Guatemala he should be able to have a phone on par with most college kids.

Eta that reminds me what ever happened to the guy that started the thread about going to a Mexican dentist? Did they ever find his body?
If my notebook is correct, that was Lombardi, our cross country RV for two years with family hero.

I know you feel like you need a swappable battery, but you should at least consider the Motorola Moto G. It fits everything else you want and has excellent battery life, and you can get it new for around 200 dollars, so you don't have to worry about the secondary market.

I'm not sure exactly but I recall someone b**** about their S3 in one of the other android threads. That's an old device.Dentist needs to loosen up the purse strings and get a nice phone. What other device do you use as much as a smartphone? It is money well spent IMO. Unless he is a dentist in Guatemala he should be able to have a phone on par with most college kids.

The people #####ing about their S3's or any older phone probably just need to do a factory reset and eliminate several of the apps from their life that they really don't need.

It's remarkable how much snappier my 2 year old tablet was after a recent factory reset... and i did the same to my wife's S3 and it improved her battery life and performance incredibly.

Admittedly though the devices do begin to lag as the android versions keep improving

I know you feel like you need a swappable battery, but you should at least consider the Motorola Moto G. It fits everything else you want and has excellent battery life, and you can get it new for around 200 dollars, so you don't have to worry about the secondary market.
i did, i love the specs and reviews on that phone. if it had removable battery i would never have started the thread.. i would've just bought it.

i hate being a slave to a charger... i'd rather have a spare battery at work, in my car, pop it in and keep going

So I just can't go with a non removeable battery phone

i did, i love the specs and reviews on that phone. if it had removable battery i would never have started the thread.. i would've just bought it.

i hate being a slave to a charger... i'd rather have a spare battery at work, in my car, pop it in and keep going

I can understand, but I did want to emphasize that the battery life is so good, you would have to plug it in less. I have a Nexus 4, my wife has the Moto G, and I am guessing that she gets about twice the amount of time off battery than I do. It is really awesome for a budget phone. And you could always pickup a portable charger that you could carry around. :endsalespitch:

I'm not sure exactly but I recall someone b**** about their S3 in one of the other android threads. That's an old device.Dentist needs to loosen up the purse strings and get a nice phone. What other device do you use as much as a smartphone? It is money well spent IMO. Unless he is a dentist in Guatemala he should be able to have a phone on par with most college kids.

The people #####ing about their S3's or any older phone probably just need to do a factory reset and eliminate several of the apps from their life that they really don't need.

It's remarkable how much snappier my 2 year old tablet was after a recent factory reset... and i did the same to my wife's S3 and it improved her battery life and performance incredibly.

Admittedly though the devices do begin to lag as the android versions keep improving
The S3 went to hell with the Android 4.3 update. They did a horrible job porting it to Touchwiz and it was as laggy and slow as an old school windows mobile phone. Even on a clean factory reset as soon as you update to 4.3 it all goes to the gutter. The 4.4 update didn't fix it at all.

It's plenty snappy if you either stick to Android 4.2 or root and install a custom ROM. I did the latter after I got fed up and have been much happier.

Take a look at the LG F6. I believe it meets all your requirements. Update supposedly coming for Kitkat. Easy to root with towelroot. I bought one about a month ago on sale for $80 from Amazon for my daughter. Very impressed for the price so looking to get one for myself now. Easily had for $100. Mine was locked to MetroPCS. $1.40 from unlockscout to unlock.

Take a look at the LG F6. I believe it meets all your requirements. Update supposedly coming for Kitkat. Easy to root with towelroot. I bought one about a month ago on sale for $80 from Amazon for my daughter. Very impressed for the price so looking to get one for myself now. Easily had for $100. Mine was locked to MetroPCS. $1.40 from unlockscout to unlock.
thank you, i hadn't considered this phone.. this is why i started the thread.. I like this a lot.

what is the advantage to doing the rooting on these phones? I'm pretty nerdy but I'm not sure i fully understand the advantage.

demands aren't that high... removable battery is just good sense.... small is for convenience... the RAM requirement isnt' that high... and dual band wifi is just smart

why narrow the field on a removable battery when can get an external battery

what is that

Rooting enables superuser admin access. It is tedious or near impossible on some phones. Some apps I use require this. One important one is Titanium Backup which makes it easy to backup your apps and data to switch to a new phone. Another is Link2sd+ which allows installing apps (and now app data) to SD card to allow more app space on lower memory phones. I think Adaway ad blocker also required root. Rooting also enables removal of all the unneeded bloatware so make the phone more snappy.

Rather than tying yourself to a phone with a removable battery why not just buy one of these:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/motorola-power-pack-slim-4000/

Wife and I both have the Maxx HD (battery life on them is awesome by the way) and when we upgraded hers I talked the salesman into giving us one of these rather than a charger. Comes in handy and is not much bigger than an extra battery.

Rooting enables superuser admin access. It is tedious or near impossible on some phones. Some apps I use require this. One important one is Titanium Backup which makes it easy to backup your apps and data to switch to a new phone. Another is Link2sd+ which allows installing apps (and now app data) to SD card to allow more app space on lower memory phones. I think Adaway ad blocker also required root. Rooting also enables removal of all the unneeded bloatware so make the phone more snappy.
and often times disables the ability to receive future OTAs ;)

P.S. check out "BLU" - I do not know much about them, but I know they offer cheap phones with decent specs... no idea about the removable battery though.

That was me

P.S. check out "BLU" - I do not know much about them, but I know they offer cheap phones with decent specs... no idea about the removable battery though.
i have looked at a lot of their phones. Many with removable batteries

What they suck at is they don't put very much RAM in their phones or their phones are gigantic

what is that
http://www.amazon.com/external-cell-phone-batteries/b/ref=dp_brw_link?ie=UTF8&node=7073960011

ugh.. only 4GB internal memory... that leaves almost no room for apps

maybe i will have to unlock my wallet more than i thought

Yep, but not an issue for me after adding an SD card, rooting, and using Link2SD+

Here's a $50 off code to buy the T-mobile branded version for $100 at newegg EMCPCGW76

Yep, but not an issue for me after adding an SD card, rooting, and using Link2SD+

Here's a $50 off code to buy the T-mobile branded version for $100 at newegg EMCPCGW76
what is link2SD+ ?

thanks for the code, this may be a winner

thanks for taking the time to post, but no windows phones
no worries, thought you might like the price of $50 with no contract. Good luck with your Android phone, hope you find one to meet your criteria and works well.

what is that
http://www.amazon.com/external-cell-phone-batteries/b/ref=dp_brw_link?ie=UTF8&node=7073960011
oh wow.. for $26 i'm warming up to this idea considerably.. i'd spend 1/2 that much on extra batteries anyway

what is link2SD+ ?

thanks for the code, this may be a winner
Link2sd is an app that pushes app installations to your SD card so you can install more apps on phones with limited internal storage. http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD&hl=en . The plus is a pay upgrade unlock to add more features and remove ads.

Moto X should be pretty cheap now
Over $300, I can't afford that
you sure?
i calculated the 30 year cost of a $300 phone over 25 years with a modest 5% growth if I were to invest the dollars instead.

Turns out that $300 phone now is worth $1000 of money to retirement me in 2039.

Basically purchasing this phone is probably causing me to have to work at least an additional 6-8 hours with post-tax money.

An entire day of work for an effing phone that will last me maybe 2 years? My future self can't stomach it.

Wrong. You can afford it. You just refuse to take the lock off the wallet for most things.
It's $299 with free shipping.
also doesn't have a removable battery... honestly the more i'm thinking about it... i just can't stomach the non-removable battery... it's the single most important phone feature to me.

External batteries can work with multiple phones, including your next one. A replaceable battery will only work with the phone it's designed for. Plus you have to turn off the phone to install it (to both use and to charge) and open and replace the case (potentially damaging it).

I'd be more concerned about external memory slots, but the 16g moto x has been more than sufficient for me.

you sure?
i calculated the 30 year cost of a $300 phone over 25 years with a modest 5% growth if I were to invest the dollars instead.

Basically purchasing this phone is probably causing me to have to work at least an additional 6-8 hours with post-tax money.

An entire day of work for an effing phone that will last me maybe 2 years? My future self can't stomach it.
Here's a thought - take care of the phone so it lasts longer than 2 years. Here's another - You can't take the future value of that $300 and then calculate how long it'll take to earn that much in 2039 using today's wages.

you sure?

You wouldn't head into work for 6 hours to get a phone that you'd use daily for the next 2+ years? Holy Christ, your miserly ways go beyond what I thought was possible.

Seriously...with how much people use their phones $200 to $300 is cheap.

It's a computer that fits in your thrift store pants pockets. Get the very best right now and use it until it falls apart.

Users who are viewing this thread