What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another pick my new android phone - but CHEAP style (1 Viewer)

External battery is a must. No reason not to carry one. $24 gets you 2 or 3 additional charges. You can't get a phone under contract?
here's the way it works now.

ATT family share data plan

you either can do a 2 year contract and have your phone subsidized (so the phones I would look at would be free or $50) but you have to pay a $40 "activation fee" and then as a punishment for a subsidized phone they dont' give you the $15 a month credit to your account for your data.

So basically over 24 months the "free" or heavily subsidized phone would cost $15 X 24 or $360 + $40 activation fee or $400

If you "bring your own phone" then you get the subsidized data and no activation fee. So it is far better to find a reasonably priced phone on amazon or e-bay and bring it to the service.

Moto X should be pretty cheap now
Over $300, I can't afford that
you sure?
i calculated the 30 year cost of a $300 phone over 25 years with a modest 5% growth if I were to invest the dollars instead.

Turns out that $300 phone now is worth $1000 of money to retirement me in 2039.

Basically purchasing this phone is probably causing me to have to work at least an additional 6-8 hours with post-tax money.

An entire day of work for an effing phone that will last me maybe 2 years? My future self can't stomach it.
You wouldn't head into work for 6 hours to get a phone that you'd use daily for the next 2+ years? Holy Christ, your miserly ways go beyond what I thought was possible.
currently i have a phone that makes all the calls and texts i need VERY adequately and holds a charge for 3 days... and although is 2 years old appears like it will work find for probably another year or better... they had gotten to the point where dumbphones were pretty rock solid, held a charge, were tiny and did what they were supposed to do very well... then invented smartphones which break down much more rapidly and need a charge much more often and got larger and heavier to put in your pocket... it's like a regression in some ways.

Also i have an older android device that I occasionally carry with me if i'm going to be in a wifi area and want to check scores, play a few basic games, surf the web, etc... but the mic is broken on it, so i can't use it as a phone

so it's spending money for an "advanced phone" not just a phone.

hell.. this post is talking me out of even bothering.

Rather than tying yourself to a phone with a removable battery why not just buy one of these:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/motorola-power-pack-slim-4000/

Wife and I both have the Maxx HD (battery life on them is awesome by the way) and when we upgraded hers I talked the salesman into giving us one of these rather than a charger. Comes in handy and is not much bigger than an extra battery.
i had the Razr Maxx recently and loved the battery life. I use my mobile with my job and it could hold a charge for 36-48 hours of moderate use. I had it flashed over to PagePlus and, unfortunately, it became laggy, buggy. I loved the battery life on it. Did not want to be a slave to the charger.

I just picked up a LG G2 off Amazon for $200 then ported over to VZW prepaid. Runs sooooo smoothly and has a similar battery to the Maxx.

Yeah, and standard definition TVs allow you to watch TV just fine, Windows ME allows you to browse the web just fine, and lots of other newer technologies had predecessors that worked just fine.

That doesn't mean the newer versions that do so much more aren't worth the upgrade. Investing in a new smartphone, especially with the things you're looking for, is going to *gasp* cost a little money. You actually spent the time calculating what that cost is after 30 years.

You're pathological in your spending ways. Enjoy your financial freedom and 6 hours less of work and your ####tier phone.

You are definitely the clientele Motorola designed the Moto E for. Sub $200, but still requires the external battery.

P.S. check out "BLU" - I do not know much about them, but I know they offer cheap phones with decent specs... no idea about the removable battery though.
i have looked at a lot of their phones. Many with removable batteries

What they suck at is they don't put very much RAM in their phones or their phones are gigantic
This, coincidentally, just showed up in my reader: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/DroidLife/~3/-s1EdLOe4ug/

Pinky is a bit low on RAM, and on the bigger side, but it has a replaceable battery, and at least seems like a nice desk.

Heck, I'm considering picking up the white one for my daughter to use as a WiFi only device.

You're pathological in your spending ways. Enjoy your financial freedom and 6 hours less of work and your ####tier phone.
maybe... but i'm just a big believer in avoiding compounding errors.

sure.. maybe that phone only equates to 6 hours of work... but when people do the newest flaship phone, the new car, the dinners out more than they should, the house that's too big for their biological needs, the furnishings for said house... 6 hours turns into 6 months turns into 6 years turns into 16 years

I apply the 25 year cost assessment and comparison to the amount of work it took me to make said money to nearly every decision.

any buying decision that doesn't enrich my life enough to equate to the number of hours I suffered at work to acquire the funds gets axed.

P.S. check out "BLU" - I do not know much about them, but I know they offer cheap phones with decent specs... no idea about the removable battery though.

What they suck at is they don't put very much RAM in their phones or their phones are gigantic
This, coincidentally, just showed up in my reader: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/DroidLife/~3/-s1EdLOe4ug/

Pinky is a bit low on RAM, and on the bigger side, but it has a replaceable battery, and at least seems like a nice desk.

Heck, I'm considering picking up the white one for my daughter to use as a WiFi only device.
I'm going to look back over the nice poster who recommended the LG Optimus and look really hard at the chinese phones.

I can't help but think that there has to be a solid generic out there somewhere with 8GB internal memory, 4g lte, and android 4.0+ that doesn't suck

sure.. maybe that phone only equates to 6 hours of work... but when people do the newest flaship phone, the new car, the dinners out more than they should, the house that's too big for their biological needs, the furnishings for said house... 6 hours turns into 6 months turns into 6 years turns into 16 years

I apply the 25 year cost assessment and comparison to the amount of work it took me to make said money to nearly every decision.

any buying decision that doesn't enrich my life enough to equate to the number of hours I suffered at work to acquire the funds gets axed.
How much did starting this thread cost you?

It is possible to get yourself some nice #### once in a while without emptying your retirement account.

I'm all for saving fairly aggressively (I save ~ 16% of my income) but IMO there's no point living like a pauper for 30 years so that you can go buck wild when you turn 58 and then spend all your life's money on deluxe polident and early bird buffets.

I'm going to look back over the nice poster who recommended the LG Optimus and look really hard at the chinese phones.

I can't help but think that there has to be a solid generic out there somewhere with 8GB internal memory, 4g lte, and android 4.0+ that doesn't suck
Yep, the Moto G ;)

"This mule gets me back and forth to the office just fine. Why do I need an autocarriage?"
can we at least admit there is a pretty big difference between having a car and a mule and pure luxury purchase like a $600 android vs. a $150-200 one?

but i laughed still

"This mule gets me back and forth to the office just fine. Why do I need an autocarriage?"
can we at least admit there is a pretty big difference between having a car and a mule and pure luxury purchase like a $600 android vs. a $150-200 one?

but i laughed still
No, we can't. Your 15 year old vehicle is probably only worth a few hundred more than a decent burro.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a new $350 One Plus One last week and it's an awesome phone for the price! Bigger than what you want and no removable battery, but the battery lasts me 1.5 days and fully charges in 1.5 hours.

Yep, the Moto G ;)
LG G2

I love this phone.

The G2 is still one of my favorite phones on the market now, but it's way more expensive than the Moto G.

P.S. if Dentist wants to save $$, he should ditch the contact and go prepaid.

The G2 is still one of my favorite phones on the market now, but it's way more expensive than the Moto G.

Strongly considering g2 mini.

The office pays my cell contract.

If i we're paying myself I'd be on Republic wireless or ting

i posted earlier. i got a g2 for $200. using VZW prepaid with it. $55/month gets t/t, and 2 GB data with 4G LTE network too.

free with a 2 year contract http://www.att.com/cellphones/lg/g2.html#fbid=J1oV5aZL9Ky?sku=sku6880558
if I sign a contract the phone costs me 400bucks of lost incentives
sounds pretty complicated. glllllllllllllllll

I bought a new $350 One Plus One last week and it's an awesome phone for the price! Bigger than what you want and no removable battery, but the battery lasts me 1.5 days and fully charges in 1.5 hours.
Please review it in the one plus thread.

Just keep what you have since you like to watch your spending. Keep using your dumbphone to make calls and text messages and use your tablet for internet access. You are not the only one who likes this setup.

I'll echo the Moto G LTE chorus. Great phone. Suck it up w/ the battery imo, you can't get everything you want on a silver platter without spending more.

I was going to suggest this one, but its huge and would probably turn Dentist off. Great value phone though.

Hi!

How many people in your office? Want me to find a cheaper office wide plan? PM me if so. I keep a database of ALL plans offered in the US for a website I'm building (been building it for over a year though, lol).

free with a 2 year contract http://www.att.com/cellphones/lg/g2.html#fbid=J1oV5aZL9Ky?sku=sku6880558
Its not free. Its more expensive with a 2 year contract. Contracts work in the consumer's favor about 5% of the time, and typically ONLY when you've got a specific usage pattern AND you buy the latest/greatest most expensive phone.

G4 mini fits everything you need, except the price point for new. I have two on my desk right now. One is a dual sim GSM that I used on AT&T/H20 prepaid, the other is going to be set up on Verizon prepaid this weekend. (I needed to switch to Verizon for better coverage at work) I'd make you a deal on the dual sim model, but it doesn't have 4g capability. Since I was on prepaid, I was only using 3g data speeds.

I won't buy a phone that doesn't have a removable battery either. I also have an S3 mini on my desk that I bought for my daughter last Christmas. But she wanted an iPhone instead. I don't think the S3 mini has 4g capability. You would need to go with the G4 mini.

If you get one that has inductive charging, you really don't need to worry about battery life. Just drop it on a charging mat at work.

LG G2

Very long battery life, fantastic camera, nice and bright display without being insanely big. I have it and love it.

You could die tomorrow. To a certain extent you need to enjoy the money you make & not worry about 25 years from now.

Just keep what you have since you like to watch your spending. Keep using your dumbphone to make calls and text messages and use your tablet for internet access. You are not the only one who likes this setup.
may very well do that... i even have an old android phone that I'll lug around if I watch nfl games at the bar and want to check my ffl scores

correct, and only 4GB of internal storage... and 4GB sounds like a lot, but it doesn't include the android software... so after that you're down to under 500-600 MB... that's not a lot of room for APPS and it definitely commits you to a micro SD card (which is ok)

I saw a blue phone I nearly pulled the trigger on, only to realize it didn't have removable battery.

basically i found a flaw with every blu phone.. no 4g, no removable battery, or horrible internal storage (8GB is the bare min),,, or a massive phablet

Hi!

How many people in your office? Want me to find a cheaper office wide plan? PM me if so. I keep a database of ALL plans offered in the US for a website I'm building (been building it for over a year though, lol).
thanks but my dad likes ATT and isn't about to switch plans, but thanks

G4 mini fits everything you need, except the price point for new. I have two on my desk right now. One is a dual sim GSM that I used on AT&T/H20 prepaid, the other is going to be set up on Verizon prepaid this weekend. (I needed to switch to Verizon for better coverage at work) I'd make you a deal on the dual sim model, but it doesn't have 4g capability. Since I was on prepaid, I was only using 3g data speeds.

I won't buy a phone that doesn't have a removable battery either. I also have an S3 mini on my desk that I bought for my daughter last Christmas. But she wanted an iPhone instead. I don't think the S3 mini has 4g capability. You would need to go with the G4 mini.
do you mean s4 mini?

Users who are viewing this thread