What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another pick my new android phone - but CHEAP style (1 Viewer)

LG G2

Very long battery life, fantastic camera, nice and bright display without being insanely big. I have it and love it.
In spite of the cost the LG G2 mini is quite possibly the one i may go with... it looks like an incredibly solid phnoe for under $250 w/ removable battery

only thing it doesn't do is have dual-band wifi as the 5GHz signal works better in my home than the 2.4GHz signal

If you get one that has inductive charging, you really don't need to worry about battery life. Just drop it on a charging mat at work.
how do i know what phones have that?
They'll say that they have wireless charging. Nexus 5 has it. A few others do too. I still rock my Nexus 4 and it has it... probably one of the coolest features... just plunk it down on the charger. This phone has sub-par battery life, but it makes it easy to keep it charged.

You're pathological in your spending ways. Enjoy your financial freedom and 6 hours less of work and your ####tier phone.
maybe... but i'm just a big believer in avoiding compounding errors.

sure.. maybe that phone only equates to 6 hours of work... but when people do the newest flaship phone, the new car, the dinners out more than they should, the house that's too big for their biological needs, the furnishings for said house... 6 hours turns into 6 months turns into 6 years turns into 16 years

I apply the 25 year cost assessment and comparison to the amount of work it took me to make said money to nearly every decision.

any buying decision that doesn't enrich my life enough to equate to the number of hours I suffered at work to acquire the funds gets axed.
You could die tomorrow. To a certain extent you need to enjoy the money you make & not worry about 25 years from now.
true... i could die. And in my last seconds before I perished I'd have plenty of regrets, but not a single one of them would be about how I didn't have a great smartphone or a newer car or a nicer home... 100% of the regrets would be that i didn't get more time on earth to spend with my son/wife/family/friends and have adventures and travel.

I hate spending money on "stuff" hence this thread and the search for the best cheap phone.

I won't blink an eye or use my "future value formula" when I analyze whether to go on a vacation or do something fun with my friends and family.

The phone will be dead and forgotten in 2-3 years... but i'll have those memories of a fun concert, vacation, or cool excursion forever, or at least until my mind blows.

You're pathological in your spending ways. Enjoy your financial freedom and 6 hours less of work and your ####tier phone.
maybe... but i'm just a big believer in avoiding compounding errors.

sure.. maybe that phone only equates to 6 hours of work... but when people do the newest flaship phone, the new car, the dinners out more than they should, the house that's too big for their biological needs, the furnishings for said house... 6 hours turns into 6 months turns into 6 years turns into 16 years

I apply the 25 year cost assessment and comparison to the amount of work it took me to make said money to nearly every decision.

any buying decision that doesn't enrich my life enough to equate to the number of hours I suffered at work to acquire the funds gets axed.
You could die tomorrow. To a certain extent you need to enjoy the money you make & not worry about 25 years from now.
true... i could die. And in my last seconds before I perished I'd have plenty of regrets, but not a single one of them would be about how I didn't have a great smartphone or a newer car or a nicer home... 100% of the regrets would be that i didn't get more time on earth to spend with my son/wife/family/friends and have adventures and travel.

I hate spending money on "stuff" hence this thread and the search for the best cheap phone.

I won't blink an eye or use my "future value formula" when I analyze whether to go on a vacation or do something fun with my friends and family.

The phone will be dead and forgotten in 2-3 years... but i'll have those memories of a fun concert, vacation, or cool excursion forever, or at least until my mind blows.
Modern phones have excellent cameras to help capture such memories...

Modern phones have excellent cameras to help capture such memories...
my wife has such a phone, as do all my friends.. so rarely is there a time when i was longing for a camera... i also have a decent small point and shoot from the era where people still bought digital cameras

Check your PM's. I sent you a link for the LG Optimus F6 from MetroPCS online that just went on sale for $69.00. The phone meets all your requirements for less than half the cost of all the other suggestions.

If you get one that has inductive charging, you really don't need to worry about battery life. Just drop it on a charging mat at work.
They'll say that they have wireless charging. Nexus 5 has it. A few others do too. I still rock my Nexus 4 and it has it... probably one of the coolest features... just plunk it down on the charger. This phone has sub-par battery life, but it makes it easy to keep it charged.
Does nexus4 work on ting?

Check your PM's. I sent you a link for the LG Optimus F6 from MetroPCS online that just went on sale for $69.00. The phone meets all your requirements for less than half the cost of all the other suggestions.
thank you, i appreciate that and I'm going to seriously consider that one... my only beef with it is the 4 GB internal, but for the price I can live with that

Dentist said:
G4 mini fits everything you need, except the price point for new. I have two on my desk right now. One is a dual sim GSM that I used on AT&T/H20 prepaid, the other is going to be set up on Verizon prepaid this weekend. (I needed to switch to Verizon for better coverage at work) I'd make you a deal on the dual sim model, but it doesn't have 4g capability. Since I was on prepaid, I was only using 3g data speeds.

I won't buy a phone that doesn't have a removable battery either. I also have an S3 mini on my desk that I bought for my daughter last Christmas. But she wanted an iPhone instead. I don't think the S3 mini has 4g capability. You would need to go with the G4 mini.
do you mean s4 mini?
yes, S4 mini. Must have put the Galaxy and S4 together. Who has time for ALL those extra letters?

Go with the Moto G and get one of these joints http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Ultra-Compact-Lipstick-Sized-Technology-Smartphones/dp/B005X1Y7I2/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1407357877&sr=1-3

If you can't make it through the day with a full charge and a full charge on that to supplement, you have bigger problems.
External battery is a must. No reason not to carry one. $24 gets you 2 or 3 additional charges. You can't get a phone under contract?
How in the holy hell did I not know these things existed???? After checking a bunch if them out on Amazon, I ordered the one linked above. Thanks for the heads up, this is a game changer!!

rascal said:
(HULK) said:
Dentist said:
Does nexus4 work on ting?
Negative. Just T-Mo and AT&T and their MVNOs. Ting runs on Sprint's network.

P.S. check out "BLU" - I do not know much about them, but I know they offer cheap phones with decent specs... no idea about the removable battery though.
i have looked at a lot of their phones. Many with removable batteries

What they suck at is they don't put very much RAM in their phones or their phones are gigantic
This, coincidentally, just showed up in my reader: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/DroidLife/~3/-s1EdLOe4ug/

Pinky is a bit low on RAM, and on the bigger side, but it has a replaceable battery, and at least seems like a nice desk.

Heck, I'm considering picking up the white one for my daughter to use as a WiFi only device.
UPDATE: My daughter is spoiled. Her pink BLU phone showed up today. It seems petty nice so far.

Go with the Moto G and get one of these joints http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Ultra-Compact-Lipstick-Sized-Technology-Smartphones/dp/B005X1Y7I2/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1407357877&sr=1-3

If you can't make it through the day with a full charge and a full charge on that to supplement, you have bigger problems.
External battery is a must. No reason not to carry one. $24 gets you 2 or 3 additional charges. You can't get a phone under contract?
How in the holy hell did I not know these things existed???? After checking a bunch if them out on Amazon, I ordered the one linked above. Thanks for the heads up, this is a game changer!!
I would never keep that thing charged. I prefer to use a USB adapter in the cigarette lighter of my car. With a retractable USB cable it's not messy and easy to keep my phone charged.

P.S. check out "BLU" - I do not know much about them, but I know they offer cheap phones with decent specs... no idea about the removable battery though.

What they suck at is they don't put very much RAM in their phones or their phones are gigantic
This, coincidentally, just showed up in my reader: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/DroidLife/~3/-s1EdLOe4ug/

Pinky is a bit low on RAM, and on the bigger side, but it has a replaceable battery, and at least seems like a nice desk.

Heck, I'm considering picking up the white one for my daughter to use as a WiFi only device.
UPDATE: My daughter is spoiled. Her pink BLU phone showed up today. It seems petty nice so far.
Keep me in the loop on how it does. I don't know anyone who has one and I've always been curious. TIA

Moto X should be pretty cheap now
Over $300, I can't afford that
Buying on contract? I got my Moto X from Amazon last November for a PENNY.

I know it's not removable battery, but I use this thing a ton throughout the day and can make it through the day without charging more often than not. Especially if you are on WiFi most of the day. It's the best phone I've owned. Have never had any problems with it and it's as close to stock Android as you can get. Plus, they are quick with OS updates. Already have 4.4.4 and theyve said the X will be getting Android L when it comes out later this year.

Any recs for a cheap ($200 or less) phone that will work on either Verizon or T-Mobile? Does such a thing even exist in a phone straight out of the box? Using Verizon now, but would like the option to bounce between those two if it's possible.

I always hear Sprint and AT&T people ##### about the reception around here. Am I wrong in that it seems like most of the discount providers use the Sprint Network? Any discounters using Verizon or T-Mobile?

Any recs for a cheap ($200 or less) phone that will work on either Verizon or T-Mobile? Does such a thing even exist in a phone straight out of the box? Using Verizon now, but would like the option to bounce between those two if it's possible.

I always hear Sprint and AT&T people ##### about the reception around here. Am I wrong in that it seems like most of the discount providers use the Sprint Network? Any discounters using Verizon or T-Mobile?
I can't think of a phone that works on both Verizon AND T-Mobile. Unless its some sort of Verizon world phone edition, in which case it isn't < $200.

Plenty of discounted providers on all 4 networks. Report to the Ting thread and I'll help you out imo.

I know you feel like you need a swappable battery, but you should at least consider the Motorola Moto G. It fits everything else you want and has excellent battery life, and you can get it new for around 200 dollars, so you don't have to worry about the secondary market.
i did, i love the specs and reviews on that phone. if it had removable battery i would never have started the thread.. i would've just bought it.

i hate being a slave to a charger... i'd rather have a spare battery at work, in my car, pop it in and keep going

So I just can't go with a non removeable battery phone
Moot point since it's a deal breaker for you but my son loves his Moto G. Charge at night and does not have any issues during the day.

cstu said:

I would never keep that thing charged. I prefer to use a USB adapter in the cigarette lighter of my car. With a retractable USB cable it's not messy and easy to keep my phone charged.
I bought it specifically for when I'm doing things away from my car or house - fishing, sporting events, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
(HULK) said:
Jaysus said:

This, coincidentally, just showed up in my reader: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/DroidLife/~3/-s1EdLOe4ug/Pinky is a bit low on RAM, and on the bigger side, but it has a replaceable battery, and at least seems like a nice desk.

Keep me in the loop on how it does. I don't know anyone who has one and I've always been curious. TIA
Geez, the blue (color) one is already on sale at Amazon for $115... that seems like a no brainer to me.

Users who are viewing this thread