What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Reskins Signing - Carter (1 Viewer)

bmarks6161

Footballguy
Redskins | Team to sign A. Carter

Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:05:39 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Washington Redskins are in the process of signing free agent DE/LB Andre Carter (49ers) to a six-year, approximately $30 million contract.

I wonder what it's like to be an average player on the Redskins. You must live in constant fear that they're going to buy some superstar at your position and you'll instantly become a backup.

I wonder what it's like to be an average player on the Redskins.  You must live in constant fear that they're going to give some decent player superstar money at your position and you'll instantly become a backup.
corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the rest of the league just start when Washington gets finished........
:excited: :lmao: Seriously though, you have to understand something about player contracts.

There is the nice number that is reported to the media, and then there is what the team actually designed it to be worth. We have no idea what that $30M is really made of, so you can't really speculate on if it's too much.

Lots of bonuses in the last 3 years of the contract, when the CBA may or may not be renewed. Notice how all of these deals are similar? It's because the cap guys there know exactly what they are doing.

:excited: :lmao: Seriously though, you have to understand something about player contracts.

There is the nice number that is reported to the media, and then there is what the team actually designed it to be worth. We have no idea what that $30M is really made of, so you can't really speculate on if it's too much.
Very true. It sure must be fun to be a Redskin fan right now. I guess that taste of the playoffs last year really got Snyder wet...........I just wonder if they have the right man on their team to put under center to lead them to the promised land. Congratulations again Skin fans :thumbup:

Is Carter simply replacing Arrington, or is he going to play DE?
I think he'd be a much better fit at DE in the Redskins 4-3. They've been lacking an elite pass rusher at the DE spot for years.

I would guess DE. I think the recent talks with Abraham were orchestrated to bring Carter in. Remember, as a DE just two years ago, Abraham had 25.5 sacks in 3 years. Not bad.

not all 30 mil is guaranteed... cut synder some slack... he's obviously trying to build a winning team... everyone was ranting and complaining about moss and his contract last year, but he was worth every penny...

not all 30 mil is guaranteed... cut synder some slack... he's obviously trying to build a winning team... everyone was ranting and complaining about moss and his contract last year, but he was worth every penny...
Eh, wasn't dissing anyone there mate :rolleyes:

Lots of bonuses in the last 3 years of the contract, when the CBA may or may not be renewed.  Notice how all of these deals are similar?  It's because the cap guys there know exactly what they are doing.
:loco: CBA was extended for 6 yrs...that is a non-issure here

1-the Redskins cut 5 players prior to FA signing, plus had Arrington give back $4.4M

2-several vets also reworded contracts, combined opening ~$15M in total cap space(when increased cap space is included)

these new players are all getting bonuses that will be spread over 5-6 yrs, and have large salaries at the end of the deal, which get reworked or the players get cut---see 1&2 above

I can't believe Carter got a penny more than the vet minimum....wow.... :lmao:
Redskins are now handing out boatloads of cash to free agents with any semblance of skill. There must be huge line up at Snyder’s door right now.

I think he'd be a much better fit at DE in the Redskins 4-3. They've been lacking an elite pass rusher at the DE spot for years.
I hope you're not assuming Andre Carter is an elite pass rusher. :lmao:

I hope you're not assuming Andre Carter is an elite pass rusher. :lmao:
not saying that at all, but he was starting to look like one after his 2nd year in the league when he put up 12.5 sacks. he's a very talented player who hasn't been able to live up to his potential in San Francisco, but perhaps Gregg Williams will be able to help revive his career. he turns 27 years old in May so he should be entering the prime years of his career.

Move along...nothing to see here.

Shanahan likes to try and prove he's a genius by getting production from castoffs. Snyder enjoys making a mockery of the salary cap.

I'm absolutely baffled...how is Washington affording all of these guys!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! :wall:
Only thing i hope for is that Lloyd and Carter will play just as bad as they did when they played with the niners.....I just hope we sign JP back before redskins grab him....

Carter was the free agent I wanted them to sign, so if this is true I'm happy. But I do have some question about whether it's true. Look at Schefter's article ----- it is dated yesterday, March 12.

Link

The Redskins are at it again, and this makes the second defensive signing. Defensive end/outside linebacker Andre Carter is schedule to fly to Washington and sign his brand new six-year, approximately $30 million contract.
To the best of my knowledge Carter did not fly to Washington yesterday or today. I'll check the Redskin boards in a bit to see what I can find on it; they usually have good information before Schefter and Clayton do on Redskin signings. Meanwhile there is this on KFFL, but it just cites Schefter.
Redskins | Team to sign A. Carter

Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:05:39 -0800

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Washington Redskins are in the process of signing free agent DE/LB Andre Carter (49ers) to a six-year, approximately $30 million contract.
I'm not 100% convinced this is true yet, though I hope it is. They badly need some pass rush which Renaldo Wynn just does not provide at DE.

What I can find on the Redskin boards is this:

A 100% reliable poster, probably in the Redskin front office, said a day or 2 ago Carter was probably going to sign.

Another poster says a friend of his in the NFL office called him today and told him it's in progress.

Sportstalk 980 reportedly said the signing should be done by tomorrow.

George Michael (local TV sportscaster for many years) reportedly says the signing is as good as done.

No proof positive. If I had to guess, I'd say it's true, primarily due to the first 2 items listed above. We shall see.

If Arrington was fully healthy and still with the Skins and playing fulltime, he'd be playing both outside LB and some DE. I'd guess with Carter it will some at each position. Gregg Williams likes to move players around based on their abilities.

So what have the Redskins gotten so far???....

-A Safety that Rams' fans hated because he couldnt cover your mom...in a cast!.....

-A DE/LB from a horrible team that doesnt play either position very well...

-A WR from the same horrible team that makes spectacular catches but drops routine balls....and gave up two nice draft picks for him....

-A WR/PR/ "?" that caught 35 passes last year and made a nice play in the Superbowl.

And all it cost them was about???????.....I cant say because obviously noone really knows. The Redskins' front office is pretty ridiculous...Every fan of every team would love to have Randle-El on their squad as nice role player or special teams guy, but for God's sake????....that kind of money.....this team's stupidity just ruins it for every other club out there trying to field a balanced team. And theyre still looking at nothing more than COMPLETE MEDIOCRITY at QB.......

:thumbdown:

-A Safety that Rams' fans hated because he couldnt cover your mom...in a cast!.....

-A WR from the same horrible team that makes spectacular catches but drops routine balls....and gave up two nice draft picks for him....

-A WR/PR/ "?" that caught 35 passes last year and made a nice play in the Superbowl.

And all it cost them was about???????.....I cant say because obviously noone really knows. The Redskins' front office is pretty ridiculous...Every fan of every team would love to have Randle-El on their squad as nice role player or special teams guy, but for God's sake????....that kind of money.....this team's stupidity just ruins it for every other club out there trying to field a balanced team. And theyre still looking at nothing more than COMPLETE MEDIOCRITY at QB.......

Now that, is a :goodposting:

NFL total access just reporting that the skins signed himAdam Schefter 6 years about 30 mill with 9 mil signing bonus.

Carter to Washington. Will be in Tuesday to sign the deal.

I love Cash over the Cap.
Andre Carter?

Let me guess, you hated the Moss signing too :o

Lots of bonuses in the last 3 years of the contract, when the CBA may or may not be renewed.  Notice how all of these deals are similar?  It's because the cap guys there know exactly what they are doing.
:loco: CBA was extended for 6 yrs...that is a non-issure here

1-the Redskins cut 5 players prior to FA signing, plus had Arrington give back $4.4M

2-several vets also reworded contracts, combined opening ~$15M in total cap space(when increased cap space is included)

these new players are all getting bonuses that will be spread over 5-6 yrs, and have large salaries at the end of the deal, which get reworked or the players get cut---see 1&2 above
You're exactly right with the way the Skins have used their upfront cash to borrow aginst future caps. The interesting thing is how tight Washington has been to the cap the last few years while paying their QBs a very small percentage of the cap (especially compared to other teams).

However, either side can opt out of the CBA after 2008. I'm not sure how the logistics would work, but if it was anything like this year, it would probably be pretty uncomfortable for Washington.

And all it cost them was about???????.....I cant say because obviously noone really knows.  The Redskins' front office is pretty ridiculous...Every fan of every team would love to have Randle-El on their squad as nice role player or special teams guy, but for God's sake????....that kind of money.....this team's stupidity just ruins it for every other club out there trying to field a balanced team.  And theyre still looking at nothing more than COMPLETE MEDIOCRITY at QB.......

Let me guess, you hated the Moss signing too :o
I thought Coles was a bum, so I thought getting anything for him and HIS overinflated salary was a good thing. Ive always like Moss....that was clearly a good move. You throw a hundred stones into a pond, one will eventually make a ripple......

I wonder what it's like to be an average player on the Redskins.  You must live in constant fear that they're going to give some decent player superstar money at your position and you'll instantly become a backup.
corrected.
Onte note: Joe Gibbs makes all of the personnel decisions for the Redskins. Snyder handles all of the big contract negotiations and salary cap ramifications. Eric Shaffer is the salary cap guy and does some contract negotiations.So Gibbs apparently went to Snyder with his wish list of players. Snyder says he will find a way to sign them and to go ahead and recruit them.

OK, I'm satisfied now that this is really happening (the Redskins signing Carter). It's mentioned by Pasquarelli, and more convincingly it's confirmed by the guy on the Redskin board who is always right about their moves.

Pasquarelli

Continuing their typically aggressive approach in the opening days of free agency, the Washington Redskins on Monday evening reached a contract agreement with unrestricted defensive end Andre Carter, a five-year veteran they hope will provide the outside pass rush the have been lacking.

Carter flew to Washington on Monday night and will sign a six-year contract that is believed to be worth about $30 million.

The former University of California star, who had played all of his career with the San Francisco 49ers, visited with Redskins officials over the weekend, but departed to consider his options. Denver which also needs an outside pass rusher, also was pursuing him.

Washington officials also met over the weekend with New York Jets defensive end John Abraham, who was designated a franchise player, but is on the trading block. The Jets are expected to demand a trade package involving a first-round draft pick, and Washington does not own a selection in the opening stanza of the lottery. Clearly, the Redskins decided it was easier to sign Carter rather than chase Abraham, who is set to meet with three other teams this week.

The Redskins, who statistically ranked No. 9 in total defense in 2005, had already added former St. Louis strong safety Adam Archuleta to their secondary.

Securing an explosive upfield rusher like Carter should further enhance an already strong defense, one that over the last two years has been forced to manufacture sack opportunities through the clever maneuvering of creative coordinator Gregg Williams. In Carter, who ranked No. 20 among ESPN.com's top unrestricted free agents, the Redskins gain a rusher who at least has the potential to net double-digit sacks.

The Redskins had 35 sacks in 2005 but only one lineman, end Phillip Daniels, had more than four. And the veteran Daniels collected five of his eight sacks in the final two games of the campaign.

I'm absolutely baffled...how is Washington affording all of these guys!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?! :wall:
Its simple - they give all the money up front (in bonus) and pay very small salaries. Knowing they can spread the bonus over 5-6 years they anticipate the Salary Cap will grow.In 2001 it was ~60million - now its ~100million

Snyder is banking on the fact that the cap will be up to 150 million by 2012.

Easy to write off all this bonus money by than

Stop being a tool1) Archuleta is an elite SS. He was moved to FS last year and was terrible. Much like when Roy Williams had to play FS the year before in Dallas, it's a case of a guy who is an elite player at one safety position, but just can't cut it at the other. It doesn't mean that he is bad, he just isn't skilled to play FS. He is an elite SS though, which is what he's going to play. Sean Taylor plays FS (I don't expect him to miss any football. Leonard Little killed someone and nothing came of it.)

2) This is a big stretch considering the level of talent around him and the fact that his position that he finally grew into changed to LB. No one will argue that he struggled at times, but you'd also be hard-pressed to find someone that believes he's gotten worse. A change of scenery might be money for this guy, and he may well put up 12-15 sacks next year. It's not uncommon for DEs to take 4-5 years to really breakout. That he switched to LB doesn't mean he forgot how to play. "Go tackle the QB" is the same in every playbook.

3) Lloyd just needs some coaching. Also, as aforementioned and you mentioned as well, he was on a terrible team. Steve Young was on a terrible team. He turned out okay in San Francisco.

4) I really hope you aren't knocking Randle El. He is an obvious game-changer, and probably the best utility player in the league right now. I see a coming trend in guys like him who are jack-of-all-trades guys on offense becoming a hot commodity. That Reggie Bush, who will never be an every down back, is a consensus #1 pick this year is evidence of that. ARE can play QB, RB, and all three WR positions well. The potential for mismatches that he creates (and Bush will create) and the capitalization on those mismatches are what changes the outcomes of games. Just a few plays a game that make the difference.

5) It costs the Redskins no more than any other team to sign a player. The numbers just look bigger. The main difference with the Redskins is that they guarantee a lot more money and backload contracts. So while these guys are all averaging $5M a year over the next 5 or 6 years, they are also all playing for vet min this year and counting about $2M against the cap. So, in effect, they are very, very cheap.

6) Mark Brunell's stats/rankings last year: 85.9 QB rating (13th), 57.7% completion for 3050 yards (14th), 23TDs (T-7th), 10INTs. His 2.3:1 TD:INT ratio was 6th in the NFL this year. While guys like Roethlisberger, Manning, Hasselback and Palmer are out of his league, he was pretty much the cream of the 2nd tier crop last year. I'd take that for my QB any year. It isn't the best, but it is clearly much better than "COMPLETELY MEDIOCRE."

Lastly,

This is loaded with fallacious reasoning and faulty logic. You just argue in circles. And you pose questions and try to pose them as the bases for your arguments.For example, if I said:

Have you ever watched a day of football in your life???

Does that really make a point? No. It might lead the reader to believe something, but it doesn't make a point in itself.

You logic boils down to the following statement: No one understands the Redskins, therefore they are stupid, therefore they must be cheating. By no one you mean you, and by stupid, you mean smarter than you.

I think the point that most people are trying to make is that the Salary Cap is a joke - if its real purpose is to level the playing field it doesn't do a real good job

Obviously the Skins are getting around the CAP quite easily

And all it cost them was about???????.....I cant say because obviously noone really knows.  The Redskins' front office is pretty ridiculous...Every fan of every team would love to have Randle-El on their squad as nice role player or special teams guy, but for God's sake????....that kind of money.....this team's stupidity just ruins it for every other club out there trying to field a balanced team.  And theyre still looking at nothing more than COMPLETE MEDIOCRITY at QB.......

Stop being a tool1) Archuleta is an elite SS. He was moved to FS last year and was terrible. Much like when Roy Williams had to play FS the year before in Dallas, it's a case of a guy who is an elite player at one safety position, but just can't cut it at the other. It doesn't mean that he is bad, he just isn't skilled to play FS. He is an elite SS though, which is what he's going to play. Sean Taylor plays FS (I don't expect him to miss any football. Leonard Little killed someone and nothing came of it.)

2) This is a big stretch considering the level of talent around him and the fact that his position that he finally grew into changed to LB. No one will argue that he struggled at times, but you'd also be hard-pressed to find someone that believes he's gotten worse. A change of scenery might be money for this guy, and he may well put up 12-15 sacks next year. It's not uncommon for DEs to take 4-5 years to really breakout. That he switched to LB doesn't mean he forgot how to play. "Go tackle the QB" is the same in every playbook.

3) Lloyd just needs some coaching. Also, as aforementioned and you mentioned as well, he was on a terrible team. Steve Young was on a terrible team. He turned out okay in San Francisco.

4) I really hope you aren't knocking Randle El. He is an obvious game-changer, and probably the best utility player in the league right now. I see a coming trend in guys like him who are jack-of-all-trades guys on offense becoming a hot commodity. That Reggie Bush, who will never be an every down back, is a consensus #1 pick this year is evidence of that. ARE can play QB, RB, and all three WR positions well. The potential for mismatches that he creates (and Bush will create) and the capitalization on those mismatches are what changes the outcomes of games. Just a few plays a game that make the difference.

5) It costs the Redskins no more than any other team to sign a player. The numbers just look bigger. The main difference with the Redskins is that they guarantee a lot more money and backload contracts. So while these guys are all averaging $5M a year over the next 5 or 6 years, they are also all playing for vet min this year and counting about $2M against the cap. So, in effect, they are very, very cheap.

6) Mark Brunell's stats/rankings last year: 85.9 QB rating (13th), 57.7% completion for 3050 yards (14th), 23TDs (T-7th), 10INTs. His 2.3:1 TD:INT ratio was 6th in the NFL this year. While guys like Roethlisberger, Manning, Hasselback and Palmer are out of his league, he was pretty much the cream of the 2nd tier crop last year. I'd take that for my QB any year. It isn't the best, but it is clearly much better than "COMPLETELY MEDIOCRE."

Lastly,

This is loaded with fallacious reasoning and faulty logic. You just argue in circles. And you pose questions and try to pose them as the bases for your arguments.For example, if I said:

Have you ever watched a day of football in your life???

Does that really make a point? No. It might lead the reader to believe something, but it doesn't make a point in itself.

You logic boils down to the following statement: No one understands the Redskins, therefore they are stupid, therefore they must be cheating. By no one you mean you, and by stupid, you mean smarter than you.
Right....Ok. A rather complex post to counter a rather simple comment....one that can obviously be made year after year after year about the Washington Redskins. It would be easy to be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of words here, but the bottom line is offering up $31million to a guy who caught 35 balls makes NO SENSE, and giving away 3rd and 4ths for a mediocre out off a garbage team.....what am I doing even reacting to such idiocy?? Hey 'Skins fans.....just enjoy....your OFFSEASON. You guys win that Superbowl every friggin' year. And save the stats.....Ive got a search key too, guy.

I think the point that most people are trying to make is that the Salary Cap is a joke - if its real purpose is to level the playing field it doesn't do a real good job

Obviously the Skins are getting around the CAP quite easily
Quite the contrary, this is precisely why they don't win a championship.Anyone with some cap room can go out and sign all the players they want, but without the coaching staff and team chemistry in place, they won't win anything.

And in three years, all of these guys (save for maybe one) will have to be cut loose because their contracts can't be restructured.

You rarely see them restructure contracts. You almost always see them sign these guys to big contracts with lots of guaranteed money and then cut them loose after a few years.

I'll take a few elite players for a career that lead a defense or offense than a lot of above average players with no cohesiveness. Most teams would, too.

Alright...a follow up because I actually read some of that...

Did you just call Archuletta ELITE? OK....

Did you just compare Steve Young to Brandon Lloyd???? OK....

Why are you making excuses for guys that have gotten nothing done???....because they are on YOUR favorite team now?? OK...

And isnt Pittsburgh about the only team in the league that utilizes the "utility" player??? Seriously.....35 catches. And you can take Bush #1, but a team with sense never would.....which is why Houston is picking there.....

Finally, Mark Brunell IS mediocre....and that is being kind.

Right....Ok.  A rather complex post to counter a rather simple comment....one that can obviously be made year after year after year about the Washington Redskins.  It would be easy to be overwhelmed by the sheer volume of words here, but the bottom line is offering up $31million to a guy who caught 35 balls makes NO SENSE, and giving away 3rd and 4ths for a mediocre out off a garbage team.....what am I doing even reacting to such idiocy??  Hey 'Skins fans.....just enjoy....your OFFSEASON.   You guys win that Superbowl every friggin' year.  And save the stats.....Ive got a search key too, guy.
I can't believe you actually responded to that. Let alone attempt to fuse an intelligible mesh of words and syntax together and try to pass it off as a counter-argument.You just restated the same paragraph you had in your first post that I explained to you in the kindest way possible is far from sound reasoning.

Allow me to restate what you just said:

"You just made a great argument. But I don't really need to refute anything you said because it's stupid just like the Redskins."

Also, how are the Redskins creating an unbalanced playing field for the rest of the league if they will never win the Super Bowl?

This is loaded with fallacious reasoning and faulty logic.  You just argue in circles.  And you pose questions and try to pose them as the bases for your arguments.
Alright...a follow up because I actually read some of that...

Did you just call Archuletta ELITE?  OK....

Did you just compare Steve Young to Brandon Lloyd????   OK....

Why are you making excuses for guys that have gotten nothing done???....because they are on YOUR favorite team now??  OK...

And isnt Pittsburgh about the only team in the league that utilizes the "utility" player???  Seriously.....35 catches.   And you can take Bush #1, but a team with sense never would.....which is why Houston is picking there.....

Finally, Mark Brunell IS mediocre....and that is being kind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread