What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Callaway - WR Dolphins now (1 Viewer)

also, they did not cite him for DUI, which should mean that he did not appear impaired.  
I don't think that matters to the NFL.  This guy is always doing something wrong.  Sure, he's a great end of rookie draft pick, which is a throwaway and possibly  something better.  This one feels like a throwaway.

Last edited by a moderator:
"The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns believe Antonio Callaway has "stayed clean" despite last week's off-field incident.

Analysis: Callaway was cited for driving with a suspended license and marijuana possession during a Sunday traffic stop. It's a concern with Callaway in Stage 1 of the Substance Abuse Program, but the Browns are buying his story that he "drove the car without checking its contents."

Maybe he'll be able to produce a receipt showing he picked up or the car was delivered earlier that day but still...

Per the dashcam video via TMZ - #Browns WR Antonio Callaway told officers his car was just shipped up to Cleveland. Officers also told Callaway marijuana find “was less than a speeding ticket” & “not a big deal” Officers also lamented having to cite him

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1027257209821032449
Driving without a license takes some serious stupidity alone. That tells you where his mind is at.

So, I’m in a dyno with a bunch of other shark pool guys.  Yesterday I drafted this fool with the 2.09 pick in the rookie/fa draft.  Thinking I was Brilliant.  Literally, this news broke about 20 minutes later.  Lol

I don't think that matters to the NFL.  This guy is always doing something wrong.  Sure, he's a great end of rookie draft pick, which is a throwaway and possibly  something better.  This one feels like a throwaway.
i don’t disagree, but legally we are still in a grey area until we have a positive test.  

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns believe Antonio Callaway has "stayed clean" despite last week's off-field incident.

Callaway was cited for driving with a suspended license and marijuana possession during a Sunday traffic stop. It's a concern with Callaway in Stage 1 of the Substance Abuse Program, but the Browns are buying his story that he "drove the car without checking its contents." Callaway travelled with the team for Thursday's preseason opener and looks on track to make his debut.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13108/antonio-callaway

Antonio Callaway is expected to be active for Thursday's preseason opener despite his weekend citation for marijuana possession.

It's surprising, especially since the Akron Beacon-Journal reports Callaway did not inform the team of the incident. They apparently learned about it through the media on Tuesday. In between Callaway's citation and the team finding out was Corey Coleman's trade to Buffalo. It's quite possible that would have gone down differently had the Browns had all the facts. Despite the entire ordeal, the Browns apparently believe Callaway has "stayed clean," and have bought his story that the marijuana in his car belonged to his brother.
:shock:

Tom Pelissero✔@TomPelissero

#Browns WR Antonio Callaway's attorney, Kevin Spellacy, told me as of today Callaway has a valid Florida license after paperwork issue was fixed. Motion filed today to continue case to Aug. 23. “We’re hoping that at some point he can focus on football instead of this incident.”

2:59 PM - Aug 9, 2018

Interesting.  Nathan zagura follows the browns closely and also says that his story is checking out and that this will likely blow over without suspension.  

Tony Grossi✔@TonyGrossi

Dorsey said "not necessarily" when asked if the trade of Corey Coleman would have been canceled if the Browns had known of the Callaway incident on Sunday. "We've had a long enough time to evaluate his skills," Dorsey said of Coleman, who was shipped to Buffalo.

5:01 PM - Aug 9, 2018

Browns WR Antonio Callaway caught 3-of-7 targets for 87 yards and a touchdown in Thursday's preseason opener versus the Giants.

After his week began on an ominous note when it was revealed that Callaway was cited for marijuana possession a week earlier, Callaway suited up and played well in his first NFL action. Callaway was the favorite target for Baker Mayfield, particularly on third downs. Callaway made a sensational 24-yard catch on the sideline early in the third quarter to extend a drive and then on a 3rd & 5 in the 4th quarter, Callaway caught a slant and beat the Giants' defense the rest of the way down the middle of the field for a 54-yard touchdown. Callaway's talent level has never been in question as he looks to put his off-field transgressions in the rear view as his rookie season begins.

Aug 9 - 9:49 PM

Plus how clueless.  "Hey, for punishment, you'll be showered with the most precious resource we have available to us.  This way we won't be able to properly evaluate other players that desperately need opportunities to show us what they can do.  That should teach you."
This seems backwards.

More of a "we know we might not get to evaluate you any day now, so we will tonight.  we know we can evaluate others the rest of preseason."

This isn't kindergarten.  The team is doing what is best for them.  Getting a look at a player they might not have in the near future.

This seems backwards.

More of a "we know we might not get to evaluate you any day now, so we will tonight.  we know we can evaluate others the rest of preseason."

This isn't kindergarten.  The team is doing what is best for them.  Getting a look at a player they might not have in the near future.
That would make sense. Except that's clearly not what Hue said. If that's what he was doing, he should have just said so instead of saying he was punishing Callaway by making him play most of the game. So dumb.

That would make sense. Except that's clearly not what Hue said. If that's what he was doing, he should have just said so instead of saying he was punishing Callaway by making him play most of the game. So dumb.
my opinion is that Hue is a bad liar. 

this makes zero sense and is more likely what ilove80s said above than what Hue said. 

What's he going to say? "well we said we believe him but we really dont and hes likely facing some suspension so we wanted to evaluate him as much as we could while we have him." that would go over well...

This seems backwards.

When players get suspended they do not have to sit out the preseason games or preseason practices.

This seems backwards.

You know we're talking about Hue Jackson, right?  Kindergarten is exactly his level.  I may write this screenplay - "Kindergarten Coach".  Get Arnie to play in that one too, his asking price has got to be pretty low right now. 

Did you see the quote I was referencing?  The one where Hue clearly said Callaway playing so much was punishment?

If you've watched the 2nd episode of Hard Knocks, it looks very clear on how they view him.  Haley asking Landry to mentor him, Hue constantly reminding him not to mess up and be accountable, same with Dorsey.  They look like the love this kid which is partly why I drafted him late and the reason why I started a thread.  

Kid looks good. Watching Hard Knocks right now and I forgot that he was evaluated as a 1st round pick but his off the field stuff dropped him down. If he can keep his head on straight he’s worth a flyer now with Coleman gone. 

Kid looks good. Watching Hard Knocks right now and I forgot that he was evaluated as a 1st round pick but his off the field stuff dropped him down. If he can keep his head on straight he’s worth a flyer now with Coleman gone. 
I want to put a halt to this idea that Callaway was a 1st round talent. He was a guy that was mentioned as a possible 1st round pick- there are probably 100 players every college season that get tagged as "potential 1st round pick". Callaway had 700 yards and 4 TDs as a sophomore at Florida. Given his age, that is a really good season but it's not 1st round pick production. The label 1st round pick was thrown around based on what people thought he might be able to do as a junior. Ofcourse he had no junior year because he got suspended. We don't really know how he would have performed. There was nothing about his combine that screamed 1st round talent. 

I want to put a halt to this idea that Callaway was a 1st round talent. He was a guy that was mentioned as a possible 1st round pick- there are probably 100 players every college season that get tagged as "potential 1st round pick". Callaway had 700 yards and 4 TDs as a sophomore at Florida. Given his age, that is a really good season but it's not 1st round pick production. The label 1st round pick was thrown around based on what people thought he might be able to do as a junior. Ofcourse he had no junior year because he got suspended. We don't really know how he would have performed. There was nothing about his combine that screamed 1st round talent. 
I appreciate your input! That’s why I love the forum - keeps any false or glorified information from gaining any weight. I was just mentioning what I had heard on the show. 

I appreciate your input! That’s why I love the forum - keeps any false or glorified information from gaining any weight. I was just mentioning what I had heard on the show. 
I mean maybe the Browns had him as a 1st round talent. Given their track record with 1st round picks the last decade, that means Callaway has about 2 more years left in the league- lol. 

If you've watched the 2nd episode of Hard Knocks, it looks very clear on how they view him.  Haley asking Landry to mentor him, Hue constantly reminding him not to mess up and be accountable, same with Dorsey.  They look like the love this kid which is partly why I drafted him late and the reason why I started a thread.  
Since they wanted to draft him, they should have a plan in place, beginning at the draft.

They didn't from what I can tell.

Browns fourth-round WR Antonio Callaway (groin) didn't participate in team drills on Monday.

Groin tightness has limited Callaway the past few days. Josh Gordon's return is obviously a blow to Callaway's fantasy value, though the rookie should still play an important role in Cleveland's passing game following Corey Coleman's trade to Buffalo.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter 

Aug 20 - 4:25 PM

Browns fourth-round WR Antonio Callaway (groin) didn't participate in team drills on Monday.

Groin tightness has limited Callaway the past few days. Josh Gordon's return is obviously a blow to Callaway's fantasy value, though the rookie should still play an important role in Cleveland's passing game following Corey Coleman's trade to Buffalo.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter 

Aug 20 - 4:25 PM
He's gotta get back on the field before Gordon does, or his playing time could crater in the short term. Though, I am in the camp that highly doubts Gordon makes it 16 games, or that he's back next season. 

Users who are viewing this thread