What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any chance the Cardinals trade up...... (1 Viewer)

Texasmouth

Footballguy
It seems like the Cardinals really need an Offensive line more than anything, any chance they trade up and grab D-Brick Ferguson? They can fill their RB need through free agency. Edge would be nice but expensive but a guy like Ahman Green would really be great while Arrington learns to play in the NFL.

I also think it would be smart for the Cards to trade that 2nd round pick for Daunte. It makes perfect sense. He can come to Az, heal for another year and then take over for the aging wonder Kurt Warner next season. That way C-pepp isn't rushed back into action too soon. Warner cant possibly last three more seasons. He is a good QB but he is old and he gets hurt a lot. Imagine Culpepper with those wide receivers? That could be something special.

I know the salary cap would probably keep the Cards from doing this but Culpepper may be willing to work out a smarter deal to get reunited with Denny Green in a place where he could have a good shot at winning some games, the division isnt that good.

Just some thoughts......

Things will start coming into better focus in a couple weeks-- after the combine. I think the Jets may trade away from #4. Signing one franchise level player is costly, and their cap and roster issues may make stockpiling more affordable picks the way to go.

I don't expect a lot of movement in this draft. The unusual depth, almost two full rounds of first round talent, may discourage teams from coughing up picks to move up.

Even the Jets #4 overall pick may not be enough to secure D'Brick. Some think he'll go sooner and one of the top QBs could slide. Of course Mario Williams or AJ Hawk could amaze at the combine and move ahead of D'Brick (not real likely, but possible).

Also, there will be solid OL available to AZ in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. :dunno:

Things will start coming into better focus in a couple weeks-- after the combine. I think the Jets may trade away from #4. Signing one franchise level player is costly, and their cap and roster issues may make stockpiling more affordable picks the way to go.

I don't expect a lot of movement in this draft. The unusual depth, almost two full rounds of first round talent, may discourage teams from coughing up picks to move up.

Even the Jets #4 overall pick may not be enough to secure D'Brick. Some think he'll go sooner and one of the top QBs could slide. Of course Mario Williams or AJ Hawk could amaze at the combine and move ahead of D'Brick (not real likely, but possible).

Remember the last time the Jets dealt away a very, very high pick instead of drafting the top O-lineman in the draft? I don't think anyone can argue that Orlando Pace has become one of the premier OT's in the game.

Things will start coming into better focus in a couple weeks-- after the combine.  I think the Jets may trade away from #4.  Signing one franchise level player is costly, and their cap and roster issues may make stockpiling more affordable picks the way to go.

I don't expect a lot of movement in this draft.  The unusual depth, almost two full rounds of first round talent, may discourage teams from coughing up picks to move up. 

Even the Jets #4 overall pick may not be enough to secure D'Brick.  Some think he'll go sooner and one of the top QBs could slide.  Of course Mario Williams or AJ Hawk could amaze at the combine and move ahead of D'Brick (not real likely, but possible). 

Also, there will be solid OL available to AZ in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  :dunno:
Remember the last time the Jets dealt away a very, very high pick instead of drafting the top O-lineman in the draft? I don't think anyone can argue that Orlando Pace has become one of the premier OT's in the game.
didn't they get James Farrior in that draft?

:thumbup: I didn't remember that, but ouch. I'll stick with the "I don't expect much movement" comment.

All the speculation is crazy but someone is going to fall out of the top ten that no one is expecting.

No one expected the Lions to draft Mike Williams.....no one expected Aaron Rodgers to fall all the way to Green Bay.....

I still think drafting Alex Smith was a horrible mistake for the 49ers. They should have figured out something different to do.....this year they could trade up to get Matt Lienart, who they wanted last season. Alex Smith was the best of what was there but by no means a #1 overall pick.

Dont bring in Daunte. Use the 2nd rounder wisely. Deal with Warner, bring in a younger, cheaper backup QB in FA or thru the draft in the mid rounds, take defense with that 2nd rounder, bring in the best RB possible thru FA, move up to take Ferguson or possibly Vince Young if possible. No way would I be taking Cutler, no matter how good he's been looking during practice or combines. Guys get it done ON THE FIELD, UNDER PRESSURE, and IN BIG GAMES. The guy has never played in a bowl game and never played a big game in his life. He's got JP Losman, Patick Ramsey and Tim Couch written all over him.

This is a critical year for AZ. This year will be a chance for them to make a move in that division. Seattle is stepping back next year because of the SB loser jjinx. The Rams are losing key defenders from an already poor D, and the Niners are hopeless. AZ could take this division if they bring in the right people, just in time to break in a new stadium. Personally, I hope they make all the right moves.

It seems like the Cardinals really need an Offensive line more than anything, any chance they trade up and grab D-Brick Ferguson? They can fill their RB need through free agency. Edge would be nice but expensive but a guy like Ahman Green would really be great while Arrington learns to play in the NFL.

I also think it would be smart for the Cards to trade that 2nd round pick for Daunte. It makes perfect sense. He can come to Az, heal for another year and then take over for the aging wonder Kurt Warner next season. That way C-pepp isn't rushed back into action too soon. Warner cant possibly last three more seasons. He is a good QB but he is old and he gets hurt a lot. Imagine Culpepper with those wide receivers? That could be something special.

I know the salary cap would probably keep the Cards from doing this but Culpepper may be willing to work out a smarter deal to get reunited with Denny Green in a place where he could have a good shot at winning some games, the division isnt that good.

Just some thoughts......
This is one of those things that is easy to say when its not your $10+ mil being thrown away on Cpep this year while he does nothing.

I assume they'd just take Winston Justice or other OL.
I'm currently projecting Justice to Detroit one slot ahead of AZ, but yeah, he could be the target for the Cards.
As a Lions fan, I'd love that pick.Don't rule out the chance that Detroit will trade spots with AZ and attain another pick.

Yup, the same James Farrior that now suits up for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

:thumbup: I didn't remember that, but ouch. I'll stick with the "I don't expect much movement" comment.
If they stay in their current spot and draft a TE, I'll wet myself laughing.

Things will start coming into better focus in a couple weeks-- after the combine.  I think the Jets may trade away from #4.  Signing one franchise level player is costly, and their cap and roster issues may make stockpiling more affordable picks the way to go.

I don't expect a lot of movement in this draft.  The unusual depth, almost two full rounds of first round talent, may discourage teams from coughing up picks to move up. 

Even the Jets #4 overall pick may not be enough to secure D'Brick.  Some think he'll go sooner and one of the top QBs could slide.  Of course Mario Williams or AJ Hawk could amaze at the combine and move ahead of D'Brick (not real likely, but possible). 

Also, there will be solid OL available to AZ in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  :dunno:
Yes, but he was a horrible bust his first couple years...for whatever reason.

That wasn't a great draft to begin with. Sure it produced Pace, Walter Jones, Shawn Springs, Chris Naeole and Peter Boulware, but the rest of the top 10 was garbage (Darrell Russell, Bryant Westbrook, Ike Hilliard, Tommy Knight, and Farrior). Lots of busts that year, more so than usual it seems, IMO.

That wasn't a great draft to begin with. Sure it produced Pace, Walter Jones, Shawn Springs, Chris Naeole and Peter Boulware, but the rest of the top 10 was garbage (Darrell Russell, Bryant Westbrook, Ike Hilliard, Tommy Knight, and Farrior). Lots of busts that year, more so than usual it seems, IMO.
I didn't think Farrior was a complete bust as a jet or was horrible in his first 2 seasons. A solid lb but, not a star as he is with the Steelers. Refering to him as garbage is riduculous. Didn't he win defensive player of the year for the 2004 season?

I didn't think Farrior was a complete bust as a jet or was horrible in his first 2 seasons. A solid lb but, not a star as he is with the Steelers. Refering to him as garbage is riduculous. Didn't he win defensive player of the year for the 2004 season?
I was referring to him as garbage while with the original team he was drafted with. It's like saying Tommy Maddox was a solid pick even though he had to claw through the Arena League and XFL to get back in the NFL while being out of the league for about 5 years. The Broncos wasted that 1st round pick in 1992 just like the Jets wasted that 1st round pick in 1997 on Farrior.

I was referring to him as garbage while with the original team he was drafted with. It's like saying Tommy Maddox was a solid pick even though he had to claw through the Arena League and XFL to get back in the NFL while being out of the league for about 5 years. The Broncos wasted that 1st round pick in 1992 just like the Jets wasted that 1st round pick in 1997 on Farrior.
I don't think it's a very good comparison. At least Farrior was a solid starter every year he was with the Jets

I don't think it's a very good comparison. At least Farrior was a solid starter every year he was with the Jets
29, 45, and 57 tackles and 0, 2, and 1 sacks from 1998-2000 from your MLB is solid? He did bust out in 2001 though, but he was gone the next year.

29, 45, and 57 tackles and 0, 2, and 1 sacks from 1998-2000 from your MLB is solid? He did bust out in 2001 though, but he was gone the next year.
the year he had 29 he missed 4 games. As for the other years, yes I'd say he was solid. 142 tackles his last season as a jet. I'd say thats at leat not garbage, and not comparable to the start of Maddox's carrear

Last edited by a moderator:

the year he had 29 he missed 4 games. As for the other years, yes I'd say he was solid. 142 tackles his last season as a jet. I'd say thats at leat not garbage, and not comparable to the start of Maddox's carrear
Ok, the comparison was bad, I'll give you that. But you have to expect better from the guy you took #8 in the draft, you just have to. 2 years (rookie year and last) out of 5 of good production just doesn't cut it.

He has an ok rookie year, and a fantastic (142 tackle) year in 2001. Sandwiched between those years were three horrible, sub-50 tackle years. The Jets decided not give him a big contract based on one exceptional year, and so they let him go as an FA. He ended up panning out for Pittsburgh, but he played on some good Jets teams and didn't produce.One more thing - Farrior didn't play MLB. The Jets had an on-and-off 3-4 scheme through the Parcells-Groh years, and Farrior played over the TE, an inside linebacking position that translates at the Sam linebacker in a 4-3. Farrior played the Sam position int he Jets 4-3 alignments. The middle linebackers for the Jets in the Farrior years were Marvin Jones and Bryan Cox.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume they'd just take Winston Justice or other OL.
I'm currently projecting Justice to Detroit one slot ahead of AZ, but yeah, he could be the target for the Cards.
As a Lions fan, I'd love that pick.Don't rule out the chance that Detroit will trade spots with AZ and attain another pick.
If Denny Green ever traded draft picks, I'd pencil that move in. He won't budge for anything though.... he didn't trade up to No.2 to pick Fitzgerald when the Raiders had pretty much everyone convinced he was the pick...I don't think AZ will budge. But I do believe Philadelphia might trade up to get Winston Justice. They've got three 4th-rounders.

Dont bring in Daunte. Use the 2nd rounder wisely. Deal with Warner, bring in a younger, cheaper backup QB in FA or thru the draft in the mid rounds, take defense with that 2nd rounder, bring in the best RB possible thru FA, move up to take Ferguson or possibly Vince Young if possible. No way would I be taking Cutler, no matter how good he's been looking during practice or combines. Guys get it done ON THE FIELD, UNDER PRESSURE, and IN BIG GAMES. The guy has never played in a bowl game and never played a big game in his life. He's got JP Losman, Patick Ramsey and Tim Couch written all over him.

This is a critical year for AZ. This year will be a chance for them to make a move in that division. Seattle is stepping back next year because of the SB loser jjinx. The Rams are losing key defenders from an already poor D, and the Niners are hopeless. AZ could take this division if they bring in the right people, just in time to break in a new stadium. Personally, I hope they make all the right moves.
Well since we're using CAPS. To say Cutler never played in a big game in his life is hogwash. If my memory serves me correctly, he did beat TENNESSEE, in KNOXVILLE, in front of 105,000+ VOLUNTEER FANS. In fact, he was 27-39 for 364 YARDS and 3 TOUCHDOWN PASSES. Oh, and did I mention, he plays for VANDERBILT!

Dont bring in Daunte.  Use the 2nd rounder wisely.  Deal with Warner, bring in a younger, cheaper backup QB in FA or thru the draft in the mid rounds, take defense with that 2nd rounder, bring in the best RB possible thru FA, move up to take Ferguson or possibly Vince Young if possible.  No way would I be taking Cutler, no matter how good he's been looking during practice or combines.  Guys get it done ON THE FIELD, UNDER PRESSURE, and IN BIG GAMES.  The guy has never played in a bowl game and never played a big game in his life.  He's got JP Losman, Patick Ramsey and Tim Couch written all over him. 

This is a critical year for AZ.  This year will be a chance for them to make a move in that division.  Seattle is stepping back next year because of the SB loser jjinx.  The Rams are losing key defenders from an already poor D, and the Niners are hopeless.  AZ could take this division if they bring in the right people, just in time to break in a new stadium.  Personally, I hope they make all the right moves.
Well since we're using CAPS. To say Cutler never played in a big game in his life is hogwash. If my memory serves me correctly, he did beat TENNESSEE, in KNOXVILLE, in front of 105,000+ VOLUNTEER FANS. In fact, he was 27-39 for 364 YARDS and 3 TOUCHDOWN PASSES. Oh, and did I mention, he plays for VANDERBILT!
I was there. He played a HELL of a game. Not to mention he did so with maybe 2-4 players who could have started for TN from Vandy.

Dont bring in Daunte.  Use the 2nd rounder wisely.  Deal with Warner, bring in a younger, cheaper backup QB in FA or thru the draft in the mid rounds, take defense with that 2nd rounder, bring in the best RB possible thru FA, move up to take Ferguson or possibly Vince Young if possible.  No way would I be taking Cutler, no matter how good he's been looking during practice or combines.  Guys get it done ON THE FIELD, UNDER PRESSURE, and IN BIG GAMES.  The guy has never played in a bowl game and never played a big game in his life.  He's got JP Losman, Patick Ramsey and Tim Couch written all over him. 

This is a critical year for AZ.  This year will be a chance for them to make a move in that division.  Seattle is stepping back next year because of the SB loser jjinx.  The Rams are losing key defenders from an already poor D, and the Niners are hopeless.  AZ could take this division if they bring in the right people, just in time to break in a new stadium.  Personally, I hope they make all the right moves.
I was there. He played a HELL of a game. Not to mention he did so with maybe 2-4 players who could have started for TN from Vandy.
Im impressed....why dont you quote me some TIM COUCH #s when you get the chance......nice try.

Im impressed....why dont you quote me some TIM COUCH #s when you get the chance......nice try.
In all fairness, I never claimed on this board that Tim Couch never played in a big game in his life either. Quite frankly, I didn't take the time to see if he ever did. I do know that Cutler has performed big in at least one big game, which was my attempt to refute your claim. As an SEC fan, I've paid enough attention to Cutler this year and watched him in at least three games that I recall. He is poised, fairly precise, and did amazing well with a sub par supporting cast.

In all fairness, I never claimed on this board that Tim Couch never played in a big game in his life either. Quite frankly, I didn't take the time to see if he ever did. I do know that Cutler has performed big in at least one big game, which was my attempt to refute your claim. As an SEC fan, I've paid enough attention to Cutler this year and watched him in at least three games that I recall. He is poised, fairly precise, and did amazing well with a sub par supporting cast.
And I totally respect your opinion, but playing at a lesser school like Vandy relieves any player of the 'pressure' that comes when your FORCED and EXPECTED to succeed at a power like Florida, TN, Michigan or USC. Not really knocking Cutler...Im sure he has the skills. And not to take anything at all away from playing in front of 100,000, but it was in the home state and they werent contending for squat all year and there was no real pressure because noone in their right mind thought Vanderbilt would do anything anyway. Feel me? Its the pressure of expectation that Im more concerned with. How did this young fella do in the Senior Bowl for example when he was surrounded with talent and everyone expected him to put on a show.....he didnt impress me a bit. You can see he has the raw talent, but so does Ramsey, Collins, Carr, Alex Smith, Losman, and on and on and on and on and on. There are a stockpile of guys like this that have come into the league looking like the next Favre and have left the next Couch or Akili Smith. Realism is very important when youre talking about throwing someone a $15 million signing bonus. jmho.

So, based on all of the talk about the Jets drafting strategies, Tim couch as a collegiate athlete and the hype that is Cutler........what about the Cards and trading up........

Back to the topic.......

Users who are viewing this thread