What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any SF Niner fans out there? (1 Viewer)

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN

Footballguy
What exactly is their 'plan'?

They don't franchise or transition tag anybody.

Their top defensive players have been Andre Carter and Julian Peterson over the past several years, and they're still out there...

Did they trade Lloyd just to save money and accumulate draft picks?

...or are they just gonna let all these veterans walk and go on the cheap and draft young players?

Typical Niner Fan, or Executive:

1. What's the franchise or transition tag?

2. What is the draft?

3. What is football?

4. Have you seen Brokeback Mountain?

2. What is the draft?

3. What is football?

Insulting the intelligence and sexuality of an entire area of the country based on ignorant stereotypes and the fact that the 49ers currently have a losing team says a lot more about you than it does about them.

Im a 9er fan but havent been keeping up on anything this offseason.

Franchise tag: Thats on the jerseys and tells the size, right?

The draft is why we close the windows at night

Trading Lloyd? Well that one just pisses me off. Im now too mad to type.

2. What is the draft?

3. What is football?

Insulting the intelligence and sexuality of an entire area of the country based on ignorant stereotypes and the fact that the 49ers currently have a losing team says a lot more about you than it does about them.
:rolleyes: lighten up, francis.

As far as a plan goes, do you mean for this year or for the future.

Mike Nolan is really big on character guys. He is trying to purge the team of anyone he feels does not have character, to a fault maybe I don't know yet. He wants to build a team through the draft much like the 49er teams of old. Even though this team is young until the last 2 or 3 years we have really done poorly in the draft as far as turning our picks into people who can play at a high level.

Andre Carter isn't worth anything or at least hasn't shown much for the Niners and he doesn't seem he didn't seem to fit into his role as a 3-4 backer because he was only able to play on passing downs and wasn't as disruptive as you would hope so I think that is why they are letting him go.

Julian on the other hand wants out, he doesn't want to play for the 49ers and we have known this for about 2 years, I think they francised him last year because they wanted to see if he would like playing for Nolan and the "new culture" they are trying to create.

Brandon Lloyd speculation was that he didn't want to sign his tender and wanted to leave. Also he had been called out for not being much of a team player. I think they let him go for a little less than I would have but I think we all agree that a first rounder would be too much, but a second or at least two 3rds would have been nice.

The Sac Bee reported that Antonio Bryant is at Niner headquarters right now and I would look to be that Bryant or Givens would be they way they are looking. I think they really like Battle and Hamilton so they feel that a decent Veteran type reciever would be a good addition over someone who has been in the league a few years but is still very inexperienced and also someone with locker room issues.

For the most part I think they are trying to be conservitive because unreasonable moves are what got them in the possition they were in a few years ago. Lets be honest there was nobody on there team that deserved any sorta tag going into this offseason other than Julian and I think both ends wanted to part ways Julian more than the niners.

In the draft the "Homers" like Vernon Davis or AJ Hawk. AJ would be a great replacement for our departed linebackers, although I don't think Carter is a big loss. And Vernon Davis is seen as bringing some offensive fire power to a team that needs to develope a young QB.

If they bring in one of the 2 WR they are looking at I see them going Davis at pick 6 and then one of the other linebackers in round two, or else I see them with AJ Hawk and maybe Moss if he falls to the begining of round 2.

Here is an article about the trade http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...03/12/49ERS.TMP I left out talking about randel el because I really hope they don't sign him, the guy is getting hyped for making one play in the super bowl and it was a pass, maybe he throws better than our quarterback but he still wont have anyone to throw to.

Last edited by a moderator:
...or are they just gonna let all these veterans walk and go on the cheap and draft young players?
Just seems like a new coaching regime letting all of his inherited players walk to bring in his own guys. Has happened a thousand times before, will happen a thousand times more.They have a pretty good excuse to let all these guys walk; "We weren't any good WITH these guys, so how good could they be!?".

The Lloyd move was a no-brainer imo. He's good for a handful of highlights a year but you can't count on him to be anything more than a 3rd WR on a good team.

... oh, and neglected to mention they signed the only player they needed back from last year; Smith.

That guy was better than most realize last season and I was pretty sure they were going to lose him. That was a great move on their part imo. There were plenty of teams around the league that had interest in him.

2. What is the draft?

3. What is football?

:rolleyes: lighten up, francis.
Someone is going to have to explain the humor or intelligence in this comment. I see it on here alot, mainly from people who seem to have nothing else to contribute.

... oh, and neglected to mention they signed the only player they needed back from last year; Smith.

That guy was better than most realize last season and I was pretty sure they were going to lose him. That was a great move on their part imo. There were plenty of teams around the league that had interest in him.
:goodposting: I forgot to talk about him also, I think his signing is one reason that people have faith in Mike Nolan as the Head Coach, he got a guy who is a very very good player to comeback to a struggling team when he could have gone to any number of places. This is the only reason people aren't flipping out about the Niners jumping on insert big name free agent not named TO, is that Nolan is looking for the right kind of guy and those guys play well for him. Its sad but the Niners overachieved last year with 4 wins and I think that says alot about the coach.

Its sad but the Niners overachieved last year with 4 wins and I think that says alot about the coach.
:goodposting: Barring a miracle, anything over 3 next year will be overachieving. If Nolan's cleaning house of guys that don't want to be there, the next order of business is Barlow.

I saw a disturbing comment by Nolan to the extent of "We were 32 in the league on both sides of the ball & and teams still want our players". Didn't like that comment whatsoever. It's his job to get the most out of his players (regardless if they're "your" players or not).

Perhaps in the future Nolan will be a solid head coach, I don't see him being there by the time things are turned around in SF. Coaches aren't given that long of a leash.

Its sad but the Niners overachieved last year with 4 wins and I think that says alot about the coach.
I'm not so sure they overachieved. Their defense was REALLY playing well at the start of the season last year before all the injuries. Ulbrich and old man Young in particular played like monsters when healthy. With Parrish coming back they still have the hopes of a solid defense.I'm not one to give up on Smith so soon, but he single handedly killed them in so many games last season. With a journeymen QB they may have had a chance to go 8-8 last year. It only reinforces my opinion rookie QB's shouldn't start before week 17 of the season. His confidence and the confidence of his teamates in him had to have taken a big step backward last season. Why throw the kid to the wolves and piss off all those grizzly vets on the defense killing themselves to make the team respectable?

I'm not so sure they overachieved. Their defense was REALLY playing well at the start of the season last year before all the injuries. Ulbrich and old man Young in particular played like monsters when healthy. With Parrish coming back they still have the hopes of a solid defense.I'm not one to give up on Smith so soon, but he single handedly killed them in so many games last season. With a journeymen QB they may have had a chance to go 8-8 last year. It only reinforces my opinion rookie QB's shouldn't start before week 17 of the season. His confidence and the confidence of his teamates in him had to have taken a big step backward last season. Why throw the kid to the wolves and piss off all those grizzly vets on the defense killing themselves to make the team respectable?
I agree that the D played well last year in the early going and that is why I was saying about them overachieving because I didn't think they were that talented on D and obviously their O is one of the worth in the last 15 years or something like that. I love Bryant Young but he is really old and had a good season last year. Andre Carter has been only decent at best. Julian was injured on and off. The coners went down and the young guys played hard. While they were plagued with injuries the team played hard till the end which can't be said for alot of other teams with considerably more talent. I think Nolan will be given a chance. York is giving him a lot of slack to make this team look the way he wants it to. I am not trying to say that Nolan is the best coach in the league but I think he has a slow an steady wins the race type of mentality and will be given the opportunity to do it slow because he wants to build through the draft and that is cheap and John York likes cheap.I would also be surprised if they won more games than they did last year but I think they will look better, if they can sign one of the free agent WR bryant or Givens.

Just my thoughts.

Nolan is doing the right thing. I have confidence in him. He's trying to collect as many draft picks as possible. He traded Rattay, Winborn and now Lloyd for draft picks. All three guys are way overrated.

People that are bitter about Lloyd really didn't watch much of him last season. He's a lot smaller than you think at 6'0'' 180. He was too small for the red zone, and too small to run the inside routes. He has a knack for making easy catches look hard, a couple of times I saw him jump for catches when he didn't need to. I can't remember which game it was last year, but he had an opportunity to win a game with an easy slant catch TD, but he alligator armed it and dropped the ball, he's just too afraid of contact. Plus he focuses more on his rap career than his game. I really hope the Niners can pick up Randle El. If they can't get him then Bryant or Givens.

As for losing Julian Peterson, that hurts, because Julian is talented, but he just can't stay healthy, and he wanted out. Plus I felt he took a step back last year, he wasn't nearly as effective as he used to be. Perhaps he wasn't fully recovered from his ruptured Achillies, but I think the Niners are making the right move to let someone else overpay for him. Same with Andre Carter. The good news is that they kept their best guy, Derek Smith. Smith is a solid player that has led the team in tackles for the last five seasons.

As for the running back situation. I'm not sold on Gore, he's coming off 2 shoulder surgeries and is running on two reconstructed ACLs. I just don't think he'll be able to carry the full load at RB. But Gore did look good at times last year. Also, as much as I like Fred Beasley, letting him go might be the right move. He has a bad attitude and never got along with Barlow or RB coach Bishop Harris. Chris Hetherington should do just fine this year at FB. I see them drafting an RB somewhere in the draft this year, maybe with that 3rd round pick from the Redskins. Guys like Taureen Henderson, Jerome Harrison and Jerious Norwood should be available in the 3rd. I think Barlow is gone, hopefully they can ship him out for more draft picks. They still have Maurice Hicks, and he's pretty underrated. Either way, the RB situation is going to be interesting to watch, with Norv Turner running the offense, you can bet it's going to focus a lot on the running game.

Last year Alex Smith looked horrible, but he started improving near the end of the year. I think things started slowing down for him a little. If they can give him a few more offensive weapons and improve the running game, Smith will show what he can do this year.

As for this year's draft, they really have a lot of holes to fill. They need to draft a lot better than they did last year. I don't know if they can pull it off, but they need to pick up an Offensive Lineman, a Corner Back, a Wide Receiver and a Tight End in the draft. Vernon Davis at 5th overall makes a lot of sense.

It's going to be a few good years before the Niners are competitive again, but at least the ship is finally heading in the right direction.

Their top defensive players have been Andre Carter and Julian Peterson over the past several years, and they're still out there...

Neither Carter or Peterson have been a top player over the last 2 seasons. Both guys really had one great season where they created their reps. Both have had injury problems over the last 2 seasons & are not the same as they used to be. Let them walk, same as with Plummer, you can't tie up such a large portion of the cap on guys that just can't stay healthy over extended periods.The Smith signing was a key. He's beeen our most solid defensive player the last few seasons & it was nice to see him stay on. I believe Nolan may have coached him back in his DC days with the Redskins & that may have played into it.

As the 49ers #1 WR the last 2 years, Lloyd hasn't cracked 800 yards, his whole rep is made on his highlight reel catches. Many of the players & coaches had a problem with his attitude. He's a solid #2 Wr that has no hope of being a #1. Either Givens or Bryant would be an immediate upgrade. Getting a #3 & #4 pick for him was a steal imo.

If we could get a #4 for Barlow I would let him walk next. I like his talent, but Gore & Hicks are solid RBs, & production won't drop off with them. No reason to pay Barlow the big contract when your getting the same play from cheaper guys. Plus, we could draft a younger, cheaper RB with that extra 4th, with just as much potential.

I really like what Nolan is doing. The difference between good teams & average teams is talent. The difference between average teams & bad teams are injuries. If the 49ers can rid themselves of the group of players that were taking up a large chunk of cap space but were always injured, they can improve.

2. What is the draft?

3. What is football?

Lighten up man. It's pretty funny and I am from there.

As a niner fan, I think it will be a big mistake if they don't resign JP and Carter. I just don't understand it. They are just going to let two talented LB's walk. Not like they have an abundance of LB's anyway. JP is an awesome LB. He came off a knee injury last year so give the guy another chance..... I would really like the niners to draft VD, but now that i think about it. nolan is a defensive minded coach, I think it will be super mario or AJ hawk :(

Lots of good info here (and a defensive SFer as well)....

I knew the resigned Derek Smith - but there's no way you can honestly tell me that the team is better off without Julian Peterson. MLBs should lead the team in tackles too btw...

Granted Andre Carter has had his back issues the past couple of years, but he was pretty damned solid at DE a few years ago.

It's one thing to rebuild, but you don't get rid of EVERY guy that made the team better - and you know damned well Julian Peterson is a very good player. Maybe they'll let him gauge his value in the market, and then let him come back.

That young QB will NEVER win with that surrounding talent either btw.... Lloyd (while inconsistent) was their most durable and best WR threat. Talk of Barlow getting traded to Denver...

Time will tell I guess. You can't stay on top forever, but it appears the Niners have become more thrifty than the McCaskeys - which is a shocker to this veteran observer.

I knew the resigned Derek Smith - but there's no way you can honestly tell me that the team is better off without Julian Peterson. MLBs should lead the team in tackles too btw...

Granted Andre Carter has had his back issues the past couple of years, but he was pretty damned solid at DE a few years ago.

It's one thing to rebuild, but you don't get rid of EVERY guy that made the team better - and you know damned well Julian Peterson is a very good player. Maybe they'll let him gauge his value in the market, and then let him come back.

That young QB will NEVER win with that surrounding talent either btw.... Lloyd (while inconsistent) was their most durable and best WR threat. Talk of Barlow getting traded to Denver...

Time will tell I guess. You can't stay on top forever, but it appears the Niners have become more thrifty than the McCaskeys - which is a shocker to this veteran observer.
It's not that they are better without Peterson, they are better without paying Peterson a +6M contract. He's not worth it at his current level of play. Nolan wants guys that play their position & be where they are supposed to be on the field. Both Winborn & Peterson are more the freelance type guy that will drive Nolan crazy when they are out of position.The young QB wasn't going to win with Lloyd as his #1 WR. Lloyd was a locker room problem with some players & his talent does not match what the Redskins are giving him. We can replace him with an equal type player for cheaper & come out of the deal with a 3rd & 4th round pick.

Yes, York is driving the old 49er fans crazy. It's sad to see a team that dominated for 20 years become a league joke. That said, I like Nolan & what he is doing, he runs a tight ship & want's character guys on the field. The bargains in free agency are not during the 1st week, it's the solid players scrambling to find a team a month from now. That's what Nolan should be looking for, that's how we got D. Smith. He's not a star, but if we had 11 of him on defense we would be fine. If we can get draft picks for our average talent, & then replace it with cheaper bargin bin average talent that fits Nolan's system, we will improve. It's fun to watch a team rebuild with young players, as long as it doesn't happen too often.

I knew the resigned Derek Smith - but there's no way you can honestly tell me that the team is better off without Julian Peterson.  MLBs should lead the team in tackles too btw...

It's one thing to rebuild, but you don't get rid of EVERY guy that made the team better - and you know damned well Julian Peterson is a very good player.  Maybe they'll let him gauge his value in the market, and then let him come back.

That young QB will NEVER win with that surrounding talent either btw....    Lloyd (while inconsistent) was their most durable and best WR threat.  Talk of Barlow getting traded to Denver... 

Time will tell I guess.    You can't stay on top forever, but it appears the Niners have become more thrifty than the McCaskeys  - which is a shocker to this veteran observer.
My optimism for the the Niners is based in Scot McGloughan (VP of Player Personnel) who I think has an eye for talent and for Nolan's organizational skills as a coach. They will get time from York to implement their plan and I think the Niners are on an upward trajectory- the surrounding talent is being built on the offensive line as of last year. If they follow up with another strong draft then we're on a curve similar to the San Diego Chargers- the scourge of the league who one day woke up up as contenders and who have built a solid organization based on talent at an acceptable cost. Nolan will get better as a game-day coach with experience, but it's promising that guys like Derek Smith took less to stay here or Arnaz Battle is trying to recruit David Givens to come here. I wish Lloyd the best, but he was not durable. There is, however, a whole lot of pressure right now for them to sign a wide out. Battle is Hines Ward Lite and he's a talent if he can stay healthy- a big if. JP is simply not worth the price tag. All things considered, we only got one year from him where he played up to his lofty expectations. The other time was marred by injury or recovery from injury.

My fears are that instability in the front office will perpetually doom them from any sustained success. Nolan can't do the whole thing by himself- he has said as much by his open search to bring in a strong NFL presence as a team president. If some other team decided to make McGlohan a GM in the next couple of years, then the Niners are very vulnerable.

This is going to be a slow and steady rise for the Niners. The irony here is that people on this board are questioning whether the Niners have a plan, but the moves they are making are in the context of a two and three year plan back to respectability- something people are not used to in today's NFL model. Nolan took a team with a modest talent base and is building through the draft- overpaying for talent in the short-term does not fit into the plan.

I said this was going to be a slow and steady rise - but I freely admit this may all be sabotaged by lack of structure in the front office. In some ways it feels like a house of cards.

Mike Nolan wants to build a blue collar smash mouth, strong defense, run the ball team with "his guys".
This topic was already discussed-- nobody on the entire roster is worth franchising or tagging. JPs tag number was way too high in his 3rd year, for example. I don't see how anybody could argue otherwise.
:lmao: You haven't been watching many 49er games then. JP might return to form, but he hasn't since his achilles blew. Carter is a bust, and didn't make a smooth transformation to 3-4 OLB.
BL and Nolan repeatedly had issues over the season and offseason. Also, BL was not happy with his tender and had quietly received permission to seek trades on his own. I think the trade has to do with Nolan wanting his guys there, only guys that want to be on the team. I think the picks sealed the deal, as IMO Wash overpaid for Lloyd. FWIW, the 49er message boards are all talking about a pending deal to sign Antonio Bryant right now. Hope so.
That seems to be the direction the franchise is heading the last two years. Rebuilding through the draft and using FA to fill major holes with young vets.

LOL....

I was going to post as the title thread:

Any SF homers?

But I knew where that would quickly spiral to....
Meh! This coming from a guy who can't figure out the proper sports uniform to put on his ugly doll avatar. :boxing:

Disagree.Peterson isn't a great fit for the system(though I think Peterson WAS a great LB before the injury and may be again). If there was ever a time to let a high-priced risk @ LB walk away without overpaying him, this is the year. This draft is said to be loaded at LB and Saban can sign the exact guys he wants to mould the defense as he sees fit.

If you draft LB's and use Petersons $ on WR and OL then it's a much better move to let Peterson walk. It all depends on how they spend that $. Some of it going to A.Bryant certainly would be a step in the right direction.

Mike Nolan wants to build a blue collar smash mouth, strong defense, run the ball team with "his guys".
This topic was already discussed-- nobody on the entire roster is worth franchising or tagging. JPs tag number was way too high in his 3rd year, for example. I don't see how anybody could argue otherwise.
:lmao: You haven't been watching many 49er games then. JP might return to form, but he hasn't since his achilles blew. Carter is a bust, and didn't make a smooth transformation to 3-4 OLB.
BL and Nolan repeatedly had issues over the season and offseason. Also, BL was not happy with his tender and had quietly received permission to seek trades on his own. I think the trade has to do with Nolan wanting his guys there, only guys that want to be on the team. I think the picks sealed the deal, as IMO Wash overpaid for Lloyd. FWIW, the 49er message boards are all talking about a pending deal to sign Antonio Bryant right now. Hope so.
That seems to be the direction the franchise is heading the last two years. Rebuilding through the draft and using FA to fill major holes with young vets.
:goodposting: Agree on all points.I am curious why 49er fans are excited over a possible Antonio Bryant signing. I admittedly know little about him, but from what I've seen he appears to be a guy that essentially runs one route. I've been quietly hoping the 49ers would somehow be able to convince David Givens to come help them rebuild.

As to the draft, I'm torn. I think Hawk would make an excellent replacement (and upgrade) for JP or Carter, but I'm a bit afraid that by taking Hawk they miss out on an offensive freak in TE Davis. I guess if it was my call, right this minute, I'd say Davis.

As a lifetime 49er fan, from "The Catch" till now, I AM buying what Nolan's selling. It's easy to cheer for hard-working, high-character guys, even if they're not winning lots of games. It's much harder to cheer for a losing team when it has a large number of punks on the roster.

:goodposting: Agree on all points.I am curious why 49er fans are excited over a possible Antonio Bryant signing. I admittedly know little about him, but from what I've seen he appears to be a guy that essentially runs one route. I've been quietly hoping the 49ers would somehow be able to convince David Givens to come help them rebuild.

As to the draft, I'm torn. I think Hawk would make an excellent replacement (and upgrade) for JP or Carter, but I'm a bit afraid that by taking Hawk they miss out on an offensive freak in TE Davis. I guess if it was my call, right this minute, I'd say Davis.

As a lifetime 49er fan, from "The Catch" till now, I AM buying what Nolan's selling. It's easy to cheer for hard-working, high-character guys, even if they're not winning lots of games. It's much harder to cheer for a losing team when it has a large number of punks on the roster.
I think people want Bryant over Givens, me included, because bryant has shown he can play at a high level and be a number 1 guy. I am not saying he is in the top tier of wideouts but he is young has not missed lots of time due to injury and put up 1000yds last year with Trent Dillfer throwing him the ball. Not that Givens isn't a talent I just think Bryant is better.

I think people want Bryant over Givens, me included, because bryant has shown he can play at a high level and be a number 1 guy. I am not saying he is in the top tier of wideouts but he is young has not missed lots of time due to injury and put up 1000yds last year with Trent Dillfer throwing him the ball. Not that Givens isn't a talent I just think Bryant is better.
Good points.Another big difference between Bryant/Givens imo is Bryant has proven he can go get the receptions from a less than stellar QB where as Givens has only shown he can hook up with a very high caliber QB that is very accurate.

Which kind of QB does Alex Smith sound more like?

Users who are viewing this thread