What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Trading Cards guys? (Sports, etc) (1 Viewer)

I need a new hobby and thinking of getting back into collecting sports cards.

I only really like football and basketball.

What are some good avenues to buy unopened packs / boxes of older cards?  By older I mean like early-2000's or even 2010's?  

Not looking to break the bank.  Really just want to have the fun of opening packs up and trying to find diamonds in the rough (I'm sure this is a big thing).  Also would be a way to try and get my son into collecting.  All he wants to do is play Minecraft these days, nothing sports-related... which kills me :lol:

Thoughts?
Just search wax packs on ebay.

What are some good avenues to buy unopened packs / boxes of older cards?  By older I mean like early-2000's or even 2010's?  

Not looking to break the bank.  Really just want to have the fun of opening packs up and trying to find diamonds in the rough (I'm sure this is a big thing).  Also would be a way to try and get my son into collecting.  All he wants to do is play Minecraft these days, nothing sports-related... which kills me :lol:

Thoughts?
Ebay or Blowout Cards 

I have two card-related message boards bookmarked.

net54baseball

forums.collectors.com/categories/sports-cards-memorabilia-forum

Does anyone have any other, similar recommendations?

Thoughts?
Ebay or Dave and Adams or Blowout Cards. I do box/case breaks on Ebay and you will be shell shocked what new product goes for these days. 

On a side note--proud of myself--got through the letter F in my basketball collection inventory project today. I am only inputting inserts/good RC's/autos and jersey cards. The word document is 35 pages long at this point. I am rapidly approaching that dreaded 5,000 count shoe box of top loaded Jordan cards that is going to take a day to do, but I have to climb the Johnson mountain next. This list will easily be over 300-400 pages long when completed. The daunting part is, this is just Basketball. Football is going to be about the same with Baseball not far behind. 

Not much different than video game/tox boxes and instructions being worth a pretty penny after most folks discarded that stuff.  Also great for unscrupulous dealers resealing packs.  
Exactly. That's the only way you're breaking even on $10k for empty boxes and pack wrappers. 

I noticed that a few people mention buying sealed wax on ebay.   As a collector and knowing what happens in the hobby--I'd recommend against purchasing boxes/packs on ebay.   People search, weigh and re-seal packs on ebay a lot more than you think.  You are far better off buying from a local card shop or a reputable online dealer (guys like dave and adams, blowout, steel city collectibles, layton sports cards, mojo)..etc.   Also--for those of who enjoy buying into breaks--be very careful as paypal is really cracking down on that and closing accounts.  Rumor is that it has something to do with tax ramifications and they are effectively viewing breaks as gambling.   If you do buy into breaks using paypal--try to avoid picking breakers that actually have the word "break" or "breakers" in their name. 

Thoughts?
I just sold a 20k lot of football cards for $500

Cards from late 70s to 00s 

Lots of junk commons but tons of stars, rookies HOF guys.....nothing where any card was worth $20-50 but many in the 1-$10 range.

A couple of sealed boxes of junk packs some sets etc..

I'm doing the same type of lot for basketball and hockey and will probably make another lot of football cards as I am finding more.

Your avenue to buy unopened boxes would be ebay.

You may save some money if you do local CL or FB market place and can save on shipping being you can pick up.

I got back in late last year and been having a blast buying/selling/flipping...collecting.

I noticed that a few people mention buying sealed wax on ebay.   As a collector and knowing what happens in the hobby--I'd recommend against purchasing boxes/packs on ebay.   People search, weigh and re-seal packs on ebay a lot more than you think.  You are far better off buying from a local card shop or a reputable online dealer (guys like dave and adams, blowout, steel city collectibles, layton sports cards, mojo)..etc.   Also--for those of who enjoy buying into breaks--be very careful as paypal is really cracking down on that and closing accounts.  Rumor is that it has something to do with tax ramifications and they are effectively viewing breaks as gambling.   If you do buy into breaks using paypal--try to avoid picking breakers that actually have the word "break" or "breakers" in their name. 
Very true.

@nirad3

Another part of the industry that is fairly new is buying boxes certified from a factory sealed case.

You'll see on ebay 2 wax boxes let's say from 1987 topps.

1 sells for 18.99 the other listed as BBCE sells for 34.76

BBCE is a company where people send their factory cases to...a dude verifies it is sealed...opens it...shrink wraps and labels it....and now you have a box that is considered to be in fact tamper proof by a 3rd party.

Anyone who can tell me the difference between the various Ultra Pro sheets available? I'm mainly going to be looking to just start putting some of my '70s/'80s sets (baseball and hockey) into plastic ... probably a good late fall/winter project.

Also might start looking into '70s/'80s sets and singles again. I sold all of my football except for my 1976 Topps (my first year collecting) not long after I got out of college. I'm still not sure to this day why I did, but I might start diving back into the late '70s sets I collected as a kid.

Always looking for avenues aside from eBay where I can find some of this stuff (sets, larger lots, singles).

Anyone who can tell me the difference between the various Ultra Pro sheets available? I'm mainly going to be looking to just start putting some of my '70s/'80s sets (baseball and hockey) into plastic ... probably a good late fall/winter project.

Also might start looking into '70s/'80s sets and singles again. I sold all of my football except for my 1976 Topps (my first year collecting) not long after I got out of college. I'm still not sure to this day why I did, but I might start diving back into the late '70s sets I collected as a kid.

Always looking for avenues aside from eBay where I can find some of this stuff (sets, larger lots, singles).
Don't put decently valuable cards in sheets.  Put them in penny sleeves and then top loaders.  Cards tend to shift in the sheets--and they can actually work their way out of their slots. When they do--and as you turn the pages--they can get creased.   Top loaders are a bit pricey right now thanks to shortages in the market--but sleeving them and top loading them is the way to go.   You can also just sleeve the inexpensive cards and topload the valuable ones.  

Yeah what he said. Unless theyre not worth much and you want easy way to view.

I don't know the difference. I have a ton of sheets I got from the lots I bought, some ultra pro. Those do seem to be best quality but not sure on the difference between ultra pro sheet models.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/clt/d/milltown-huge-lot-of-football-cards/7203494835.html

I'm about to take this down but this was the football lot I sold last week.

I literally have about 1M cards i picked up this year. Mostly baseball but I'll be putting together lots of Basketball hockey and football up again. 

If you're interested in any sport let me know. I may be able to ship you a crap load of cards for a good value.

Last edited by a moderator:
jvdesigns2002 said:
I noticed that a few people mention buying sealed wax on ebay.   As a collector and knowing what happens in the hobby--I'd recommend against purchasing boxes/packs on ebay.   People search, weigh and re-seal packs on ebay a lot more than you think.
This, plus with some older boxes you don't even need to do any of that to cherry pick the cards you are looking for if you know the printing runs. Because companies would just cut cards from the sheets and fill them in the packs without shuffling/randomizing them, all you need to do is open one pack, check the numbers of the cards and where that pack was in the box, and you would know which packs have what. Like knowing the patterns in Pac Man.

I worked in a card shop during high school and college, then owned one, and still remember all of the valuable runs (to find Griffey Jr. Upper Decks, Frank Thomas Leafs, etc.), what tricks were used to search for inserts, "finger-fleecing", etc. You either had to know them so you could spot the customers that were trying it or you learned them the hard way when a wholesaler or card show dealer scammed you. Sometimes you just naturally figured them out from breaking down so many boxes to sell the good cards, make sets, or have commons. I loved learning those things, how to spot counterfeit or trimmed cards, etc. in order to make sure my store, and the things we sold, could be trusted. 

I've since left the business but realized recently how "using my powers for good" carried over into my career in financial services Fraud Prevention where I have to think like, and know how to be, a bad guy in order to stop them. 

Thoughts?
I just emptied a binder of 70 sheets.

If you pay the shipping you can have them. They're not ultra pro but they look good. (If you want pics let me know)  I probably have 100 binders I have to empty potentially.  Some have terrible sheets that are going in the garbage some are ultra pro i think others are different brands but they hold up well.

This, plus with some older boxes you don't even need to do any of that to cherry pick the cards you are looking for if you know the printing runs. Because companies would just cut cards from the sheets and fill them in the packs without shuffling/randomizing them, all you need to do is open one pack, check the numbers of the cards and where that pack was in the box, and you would know which packs have what. Like knowing the patterns in Pac Man.

I worked in a card shop during high school and college, then owned one, and still remember all of the valuable runs (to find Griffey Jr. Upper Decks, Frank Thomas Leafs, etc.), what tricks were used to search for inserts, "finger-fleecing", etc. You either had to know them so you could spot the customers that were trying it or you learned them the hard way when a wholesaler or card show dealer scammed you. Sometimes you just naturally figured them out from breaking down so many boxes to sell the good cards, make sets, or have commons. I loved learning those things, how to spot counterfeit or trimmed cards, etc. in order to make sure my store, and the things we sold, could be trusted. 

I've since left the business but realized recently how "using my powers for good" carried over into my career in financial services Fraud Prevention where I have to think like, and know how to be, a bad guy in order to stop them. 
I always heard that about the griffey didn't relaize it pertained to other cards.

I guess this does explain why BBCE verified boxes from sealed cases have a lot more value.

I think this is why it was near impossible to find an 86 Donruss Canseco from a wax pack back in the day. It was shortly after that when I stopped collecting altogether. I do think about getting back in again, just for the fun of opening packs.

comfortably numb said:
Yeah what he said. Unless theyre not worth much and you want easy way to view.

I don't know the difference. I have a ton of sheets I got from the lots I bought, some ultra pro. Those do seem to be best quality but not sure on the difference between ultra pro sheet models.

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/clt/d/milltown-huge-lot-of-football-cards/7203494835.html

I'm about to take this down but this was the football lot I sold last week.

I literally have about 1M cards i picked up this year. Mostly baseball but I'll be putting together lots of Basketball hockey and football up again. 

If you're interested in any sport let me know. I may be able to ship you a crap load of cards for a good value.
I'd probably be interested in hoops and football. I've been dipping my toe back in the waters the last few months out of boredom. 

Any specific years/players? Sets or singles?

My garage and basement literally look like a card shop exploded. I have cases and small piles everywhere. 70s to 00s best part is most are mixed around...
Nope nothing in particular. I would've been def interested in the lot you just sold. I just enjoy going through stuff like that. And I have too much time on my hands these days, so...I can justify it :lol:  

Nope nothing in particular. I would've been def interested in the lot you just sold. I just enjoy going through stuff like that. And I have too much time on my hands these days, so...I can justify it :lol:  
Oh duh..I should have read what you quoted initially. 

Let me pull together and start sorting the lots as I plan to sell locally. Shipping that many cards would be a challenge and costly.

Maybe I can pull together a mixed lot of a few thousand cards

My wife was very happy that I finally  started doing this inventory project. What she is not happy with is, as I go through the cards, I realize, "Hey I never got this card from this player." I jump on Ebay and boom, now I have it.  I mean, I never had a Magic Johnson game worn jersey card, so I got a steal on the 09/10 Upper Deck Dual Jersey card with him and  Chris Paul earlier this week. As a lifelong Denver fan, Antonio McDyess was one of my favorite players, but  I never got his auto--so I am shopping for one as we speak, but I hate paying $4.00 shipping on a $6.00 card. I also want to put together the 1997-98 Flair Wave of the Future insert set. It is cheap as mud, but this set has an actual liquid encased front. 

Just stupid things like this. I am a sucker for 90's basketball inserts and game worn stuff. Yeah, I know these are far from high dollar cards, but I have put together as many of those sets from each product as I could over the years. This is the kind of thing that makes this hobby fun to me--questing after a $1.50 card to complete a set.  

My wife was very happy that I finally  started doing this inventory project. What she is not happy with is, as I go through the cards, I realize, "Hey I never got this card from this player." I jump on Ebay and boom, now I have it.  I mean, I never had a Magic Johnson game worn jersey card, so I got a steal on the 09/10 Upper Deck Dual Jersey card with him and  Chris Paul earlier this week. As a lifelong Denver fan, Antonio McDyess was one of my favorite players, but  I never got his auto--so I am shopping for one as we speak, but I hate paying $4.00 shipping on a $6.00 card. I also want to put together the 1997-98 Flair Wave of the Future insert set. It is cheap as mud, but this set has an actual liquid encased front. 

Just stupid things like this. I am a sucker for 90's basketball inserts and game worn stuff. Yeah, I know these are far from high dollar cards, but I have put together as many of those sets from each product as I could over the years. This is the kind of thing that makes this hobby fun to me--questing after a $1.50 card to complete a set.  
Lol...every day for the last 6-8 months i send out anywhere from 4-20 items a day.

Most are single cards valued 1-10 bucks.

I'm with you on the shipping so I charge $1 (sometimes free) to ship a card. 

Penny sleeve, top loader and tape inside a paper folded over 3 times.

Never gets damaged...sometimes i can ship about 5 cards for a buck....If it gets lost...oh well...ill refund them.

I've had 1 guy not get his 1976 Mike Schmidt. Gave him his $3.89 back.

I'd rather do that as most people don't want to pay $3.65 for a $2 card.

If I find any cool Mcdeyss cards ill shoot them your way.

Lol...Mike Schmidt dude just messaged me saying card arrived today (5 weeks late)  and he would send back.
At least he was honest. There is a lack of that in this world it seems. 

I bought my Wave of the Future insert set just now. Pretty much a bunch of no name players and I overpaid a bit. However, I figured putting it together at 2.00-$4.00 a card (and there are 12 cards in the insert set) would kill me in S&H charges.,  So I paid a flat $20.00  for the whole set. 

I also picked up my McDyess autographed card today. Hey $10 isn't bad and free shipping.

Now on to the next quest.....maybe a David Thompson auto card??  

comfortably numb said:
I would probably be interested in 1. hockey; 2. baseball; 3. football ... in that order.

My office is a mess, which is why I wanted to start diving into sheets to start getting things in order. But I wouldn’t mind having some “new” (to me) stuff to sort through again, just for the fun of it. Big or small, doesn’t really matter.

https://imgur.com/a/Rk3fcR9

Pick 2 is what 600k cards looks like...lol...basement has another ~250k

@Courtjester

1st pick is 2 McDyess cards i just found that are a bit different...for me anyway...(duplicate)  1994-95 Jam session. Taller cards. If you want free cards.... PM me a mailing address and they're yours. I'll drop em in the mail.

@nirad3

@Nathan R. Jessep

@Dickie Dunn

pics 3 and on are sets that i have started to sort between basketball, baseball and hockey.. a local guy i sell to has a bunch of stuff i let him sort through and I know he has 90TT football x 3 and 88, 89 and 98 Topps sets.

I am sorting through the sets as I plan to make a huge master list of sets (probably have close to 200) and start selling them locally. 

I counted 33 1987 Topps alone..lol

I'll try to get pics of lots I am working on for each sport. A large priority mail box is flat rate of 18.30 regardlessof weight..I can play around and see how many cards I can fit.

New cards/series are extremely tough to get, I have learned. I was at my local target last Tuesday during the morning and saw about 5/6 "kids" getting excited near the card section. I make my way over and they tell me they are hoping "mosaic" shows up. I'm like OK, I want to try lets see. So the guy comes and unloads on the stuff, its all Donruss, I buy about 4/5 items of only Donruss football. All of it was sold, in that moment, as the guy took it off the cart to stock the shelf. Turns out all this stuff is selling on secondary markets for 2-3x the retail cost. Wild times. I haven't seen any on the shelfs since that moment. 

New cards/series are extremely tough to get, I have learned. I was at my local target last Tuesday during the morning and saw about 5/6 "kids" getting excited near the card section. I make my way over and they tell me they are hoping "mosaic" shows up. I'm like OK, I want to try lets see. So the guy comes and unloads on the stuff, its all Donruss, I buy about 4/5 items of only Donruss football. All of it was sold, in that moment, as the guy took it off the cart to stock the shelf. Turns out all this stuff is selling on secondary markets for 2-3x the retail cost. Wild times. I haven't seen any on the shelfs since that moment. 
What’s it like to get a chance to buy these cards at your target? Seriously feels like it never actually hits the shelf here in Vegas. 

What’s it like to get a chance to buy these cards at your target? Seriously feels like it never actually hits the shelf here in Vegas. 
I mean, I don't even collect anymore, but in a pandemic, boredom sets in etc. So yeah, I have "gone down the rabbithole" on this. To be clear, I'm in SoCal, lots of Targets, but just one big Walmart. I have been to a few Targets, since this day to no avail. I guess these groups of dudes/comic book kids/whathaveyou just follow these guys around, trying to guess their schedule.

How does it feel? I mean I didn't even pull anything other than a Justin Herbert Rate Rookie, and now I feel like I bought my first scratchoff and it was a $100 winner and I have that "urge"

Online shopping for this is non existent as I guess people use AI/Bots to set up online purchases where stuff like this sells out in "milliseconds"

I'm too old for this s*** really. 

I mean, I don't even collect anymore, but in a pandemic, boredom sets in etc. So yeah, I have "gone down the rabbithole" on this. To be clear, I'm in SoCal, lots of Targets, but just one big Walmart. I have been to a few Targets, since this day to no avail. I guess these groups of dudes/comic book kids/whathaveyou just follow these guys around, trying to guess their schedule.

How does it feel? I mean I didn't even pull anything other than a Justin Herbert Rate Rookie, and now I feel like I bought my first scratchoff and it was a $100 winner and I have that "urge"

Online shopping for this is non existent as I guess people use AI/Bots to set up online purchases where stuff like this sells out in "milliseconds"

I'm too old for this s*** really. 
I mean, that’s basically what this has turned into. It’s sad that trying to be able to buy product is such a joke. Sick hit with the Herbert rated rookie!

I mean, that’s basically what this has turned into. It’s sad that trying to be able to buy product is such a joke. Sick hit with the Herbert rated rookie!
I get it. #ThisIsAmerica so you gotta make that money. It's just "interesting" talking to these guys b/c they really no nothing about the sport "Burrow is the #1 guy!" ok guy. 

But yeah its a tad frustrating. I'm working from home/sales which I'm lucky enough, when slow, I can kind of take breaks and check stuff like this out. And still, to no avail for the most part lol.

I get it. #ThisIsAmerica so you gotta make that money. It's just "interesting" talking to these guys b/c they really no nothing about the sport "Burrow is the #1 guy!" ok guy. 

But yeah its a tad frustrating. I'm working from home/sales which I'm lucky enough, when slow, I can kind of take breaks and check stuff like this out. And still, to no avail for the most part lol.
In a product like mosaic, he’s not wrong. Getting a silver burrow is over a $200+ card right now. The market for them and basically any other rookie QBs is absurd. 

I’m wondering if now that is the time to sell some of my excess stock. I have Topps baseball and football complete sets from 64 to 89 with a bunch of partial sets and some extra graded cards (like 3 Nolan Ryan rookies).  Is it really that crazy out there right now?

I’m wondering if now that is the time to sell some of my excess stock. I have Topps baseball and football complete sets from 64 to 89 with a bunch of partial sets and some extra graded cards (like 3 Nolan Ryan rookies).  Is it really that crazy out there right now?
I don’t think old stuff has any value. It’s all about the new cards that are printed in limited quantities. 

I don’t think old stuff has any value. It’s all about the new cards that are printed in limited quantities. 
Huh?  Sets from 64 and on not having any value?  As a collector--don't give advice unless you are aware of the market.  Look at what Jordan rookies are going for.  Look at what graded Magic and mantles are going for.  Even graded cards from the junk card era are going up in value.   PSA4 (which is crappy condition) Ryan rookies are going for $400-500. PSA7's are going for $2200 each. The stuff he has could be worth a small fortune.  

I wouldn’t say that’s necessarily true. What grades did the Ryan’s get @5Rings? Anything else graded that you have?
I have a 2000 Fleer Greats of the Game Nolan Ryan Autograph that graded a 10 gem mint. I see ungraded selling for $150 or so. Have no idea what the value might be.

If you aren't married to them...now is a great time.

Old cards have great value.

You won't retire early. I'm selling eveything from 60s to 00s.

Yea, even the junk wax stuff....again...not retire early money and lots of work but you can get decent money for stuff depending on the condition 

Yea, even the junk wax stuff....again...not retire early money and lots of work but you can get decent money for stuff depending on the condition 
The older stuff still has value and if it grades highly is always in demand.  Getting those  high PSA marks is another story.   Often times, you'll just end up breaking even after all the fees and low scores.  

Huh?  Sets from 64 and on not having any value?  As a collector--don't give advice unless you are aware of the market.  Look at what Jordan rookies are going for.  Look at what graded Magic and mantles are going for.  Even graded cards from the junk card era are going up in value.   PSA4 (which is crappy condition) Ryan rookies are going for $400-500. PSA7's are going for $2200 each. The stuff he has could be worth a small fortune.  
Good to know, getting bad info from the 13 yr old in the house then.

I have a sealed set of 1989 Upper Deck with the once very popular Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card inside.  What would that get me?

My brother mentioned to me that my nephew is into collecting Panini Basketball cards now. 

Is there a decent place to get these with decent prices?

Got myself some stuff today: 2 blaster mosaics, 1 hanger, 2 hangers of donruss. 

My buddy bought a "mega" of donruss and mosaics. Gonna watch the Eagles get destroyed on Saturday while ripping these bad boys. Got lucky at a Target this AM.

I was in a pinch for money about 4 yrs ago. Wish I had known how much some of this sold for. I have some old Hockey/Baseball/Basketball/Football stuff from the 90s maybe early 2000s when I last collected them I was going to a place called B&C Collectables which had a ton of sports mem stuff. The Center Island counter was literally just filled with sports cards and the rack near the check out usually sold the cards including box sets. Theres a card collectable place 5-7 min drive from my house. Maybe see what I can sell them for there and get back in the game to an extent. I'm not looking to spend huge money or take up huge time. Maybe buy one of the box sets of new NFL/MLB cards and sit through and go over them 

Users who are viewing this thread