What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (1 Viewer)

I saw a few Tweets today saying there would be some bent-over Cowboys fans trying to justify the reaming they just took by saying they won't miss Murray, that their OL is the reason Murray ran well, and that Philly is foolish for paying him top-5 money.

Cowboyz1, your palms must be on the floor :lol:

That's a lot of money tied up in two backs who are made out of glass. They'll be lucky to get 16 games between the two of them.

It will be interesting to see how this works out. I'm always leery of players coming off career years and Murray swapping teams and potentially losing a few touches to Mathews only amplifies those concerns.

EBF said:
That's a lot of money tied up in two backs who are made out of glass. They'll be lucky to get 16 games between the two of them.

It will be interesting to see how this works out. I'm always leery of players coming off career years and Murray swapping teams and potentially losing a few touches to Mathews only amplifies those concerns.
Splitting carries will be the best thing for Murray. 275 for him and 125 for Mathews might keep them healthy.

EBF said:

Splitting carries will be the best thing for Murray. 275 for him and 125 for Mathews might keep them healthy.
Yeah, less carries is a better thing for both these guys.

EBF said:
This is what you predicted about Murray earlier in this thread before he played all 16 games last season.

Mr. Glass will never be healthy for 16 games though.
Murray is the ultimate Mr. Glass. He has been injured pretty much constantly since his Oklahoma days. Bad luck? Nope. He's just brittle and not built for the rigors of featured back duty.

EBF said:

Did the Eagles actually do this, they signed Murray and Mathews???

That's done, Mathews is not backing out?

And they have Sproles? And Polk?

They are going to be a lot of fun to watch.

EBF said:

We may run the ball 600 times next year. Bradford won't have to do much.

Just curious but, why would Polk factor into anyone's conversation about carries anywhere? I guess I missed the part about him having value in the NFL other than on special teams.

@TomPelissero: #Eagles czar Chip Kelly makes clear he doesn't envision DeMarco Murray being a workhorse back. Plan is to spread it around.

EBF said:

Eliot Shorr-Parks ‏@EliotShorrParks 1h1 hour ago

Vibe I got today is that the #Eagles will be running the ball a ton next season, and we won't be seeing many 60+ attempt games from their QB

EBF said:

Eliot Shorr-Parks ‏@EliotShorrParks 1h1 hour agoVibe I got today is that the #Eagles will be running the ball a ton next season, and we won't be seeing many 60+ attempt games from their QB
Given who their RBs and QBs are, I would hope so.

@TomPelissero: #Eagles czar Chip Kelly makes clear he doesn't envision DeMarco Murray being a workhorse back. Plan is to spread it around.
Rotoworld take:

DeMarco Murray - RB - Eagles

Asked about the Eagles' 2015 running back distribution on Thursday, coach Chip Kelly said the plan is to "spread it around."

This plan may have appealed to DeMarco Murray because it could prolong his career. The Eagles have Murray and Ryan Mathews capable of effectively handling early-down work, and Darren Sproles as a mismatch creator on passing downs. In the Eagles' high-volume, fast-tempo offense, Murray should still have a chance to exceed 300 touches. He just won't be nearing 500 again. Mathews could carve out an 8-12 touch-per-game role as the No. 2 runner.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Mar 12 - 9:21 PM

VarsityBlues123 said:
DexterDew said:
I know it is easy to just lob hyperbolic statements like "this is the worst case scenario for Murray owners". I think OAK and JAX would have been, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

IMHO, of all the scenarios that were bandied about, this was my second favorite after staying in DAL with that OL and Offense.

I like Philly because they run more plays, they run the ball, he will (hopefully) GL carries, and Chip has so far shown he can keep his players healthy.
at least in Oakland and Jacksonville he would have more workload for fantasy owners. this is obvious he loses tons of touches.
higher percentage of the workload does not mean more workload. He will get plenty of touches, same if not more than if he was on those crap teams

Rotoworld take:

DeMarco Murray - RB - Eagles

Asked about the Eagles' 2015 running back distribution on Thursday, coach Chip Kelly said the plan is to "spread it around."

This plan may have appealed to DeMarco Murray because it could prolong his career. The Eagles have Murray and Ryan Mathews capable of effectively handling early-down work, and Darren Sproles as a mismatch creator on passing downs. In the Eagles' high-volume, fast-tempo offense, Murray should still have a chance to exceed 300 touches. He just won't be nearing 500 again. Mathews could carve out an 8-12 touch-per-game role as the No. 2 runner.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Mar 12 - 9:21 PM
Sounds about right for the most part.

They were FIRST in offensive scrimmage plays. And that is with the defense allowing the second most scrimmage plays to opponents (Clev was worse).

If their defense can do anything to help get the offense get back on the field (dead last in T.O.P.) there will be even more chances.

*Mathews is never getting 8-12 touches per game with Murray and Sproles healthy.

There was a piece from a 1-on-1 interview with Kelly last night on CSN where they asked him how he planned on using the RBs, the rotation,e tc. He said the playbook was pretty deep, and there are plenty of snaps/touches for everyone. He also said there will be many times when all three RBs are on the field at the same time, creating match-up problems all over the field for slow-footed LBs.

So Murray lined-up as a RB, Matthews split out, and Sproles in motion? I literally can't wait to see this shake out.

EBF said:
This is what you predicted about Murray earlier in this thread before he played all 16 games last season.
Murray is the ultimate Mr. Glass. He has been injured pretty much constantly since his Oklahoma days. Bad luck? Nope. He's just brittle and not built for the rigors of featured back duty.
Oof terrible calls.

EBF said:
Oof terrible calls.
Or called correctly since he's been injured each and every year.

Bottom line...yet another RBBC that leaves us fantasy owners with yet another headache.

Murrays value went from fantasy stud as the bellcow behind an awesome Oline to timeshare back that will probably get the bulk of work between the 20's. Then sprinkle in Mathews and Sproles. Hello Robert Smith 2.0.

I'm not sure if I can justify taking a RB in the 1st round of fantasy drafts for the forseeable future. Go WR and TE heavy!

Bottom line...yet another RBBC that leaves us fantasy owners with yet another headache.

Murrays value went from fantasy stud as the bellcow behind an awesome Oline to timeshare back that will probably get the bulk of work between the 20's. Then sprinkle in Mathews and Sproles. Hello Robert Smith 2.0.

I'm not sure if I can justify taking a RB in the 1st round of fantasy drafts for the forseeable future. Go WR and TE heavy!
PFF ranked the Eagles offensive line as the #1 run blocking offensive line in 2013 and 2014. The Eagles ran 100 more offensive plays than Dallas last year. If the defense improves (which it should) they could run 1200+ plays in 2015. Indications are they want to go more run this year than in 2014. I think they could have 600 rush attempts in 2015. There's plenty of carries to go around. I'd like to see Murray at maybe 250ish carries. Matthews at 125ish. Sproles at 100ish. Polk at 50ish. This will keep all the guys fresh and they should be able to do more with less as the season goes along.

PFF ranked the Eagles offensive line as the #1 run blocking offensive line in 2013 and 2014. The Eagles ran 100 more offensive plays than Dallas last year. If the defense improves (which it should) they could run 1200+ plays in 2015. Indications are they want to go more run this year than in 2014. I think they could have 600 rush attempts in 2015. There's plenty of carries to go around. I'd like to see Murray at maybe 250ish carries. Matthews at 125ish. Sproles at 100ish. Polk at 50ish. This will keep all the guys fresh and they should be able to do more with less as the season goes along.
I don't disagree with this. But as fantasy owners, we're looking for a stud, workhorse RB that can give us an advantage in our lineup due to all the RBBCs. Just saying that Murray went from being one of those AP-esque type of RBs in Dallas to now being part of a committee which will hurt his fantasy value. Look what happened to McCoy with just the addition of Sproles. Granted McCoy had a solid year, but not what fantasy owners expected from him. They will all get their touches. It will be good for the Eagles...not so good for fantasy owners. I think Murray's value takes a big hit now compared to what you could have gotten for him towards the end of the year. But yeah, it should help their longevity in the league.

Murray will have a great 2015 fantasy year in Philly. Top 5 RB easy. "Timeshare" talk will subside after he wins games for them.

Murray will have a great 2015 fantasy year in Philly. Top 5 RB easy. "Timeshare" talk will subside after he wins games for them.
The Eagles have no incentive to run him into the ground like the Cowboys did. Near 300 carries won't surprise me but they will work Mathews in to keep Murray fresh.

The Eagles have no incentive to run him into the ground like the Cowboys did. Near 300 carries won't surprise me but they will work Mathews in to keep Murray fresh.
You two are NOT at odds with anything you are saying.

Great 2015.

Top 5 easy.

Not a timeshare.

Wont have 449 touches again.

Mathews will get worked in to keep Murray fresh.

There was a piece from a 1-on-1 interview with Kelly last night on CSN where they asked him how he planned on using the RBs, the rotation,e tc. He said the playbook was pretty deep, and there are plenty of snaps/touches for everyone. He also said there will be many times when all three RBs are on the field at the same time, creating match-up problems all over the field for slow-footed LBs.

So Murray lined-up as a RB, Matthews split out, and Sproles in motion? I literally can't wait to see this shake out.
:popcorn:

You two are NOT at odds with anything you are saying.

Great 2015.

Top 5 easy.

Not a timeshare.

Wont have 449 touches again.

Mathews will get worked in to keep Murray fresh.
Right. He wont get anywhere near the touches he did last year, but he doesnt change much in the rankings for RBs, if at all.

He will no doubt score a lot less for fantasy though.

"Time share" is being thrown around, but this will not be anything close to 50-50. I'll throw out 70-30

Rotoworld:

SI's Peter King reports the Cowboys had a "soft limit" of $5 million annually on DeMarco Murray, and "never thought" about matching the Eagles' offer.

Murray is getting $8.5 million per season in Philly. Per King, the Cowboys "stretched" to $6 million annually, but that was apparently their limit. Murray will be replaced by a committee in Dallas, one that likely involves a rookie.

Related: Cowboys

Source: The MMQB
Mar 16 - 9:07 AM

Murray was sold in my Dynasty PPR league for

Murray and pick 3.5

Gore, Cooks, 2.5

I almost bought him for

Murray

I give J Stew, pick 1.7 and pick 2.1

Rotoworld:

DeMarco Murray- RB - Eagles

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said the Eagles made the LeSean McCoy trade because coach Chip Kelly wanted a one-cut running back.

"[McCoy] wasn’t the style of runner that Chip prefers," said Lurie. "To maximize his power spread offense, he’s always admired the one-cut runners. You’ve gotta let a coach try to bring in the players that fit best what he’s all about to maximize what he’s trying to accomplish." McCoy is an ad-lib runner who dances a little too much trying to turn every run into a big play. DeMarco Murray is the opposite as a premier downhill, one-cut back. He should be a tremendous fit in Kelly's offense as long as he can stay healthy.

Related: LeSean McCoy

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7
Mar 25 - 9:36 AM

Who cares about the money. If the eagles think it fits the cap, then why the #### would I care once they're on the field.

On the field I really think Chip was pissed off about the 2 losses we had last year by 1 yard in SF and AZ. I don't know if they targeted Murray and Mathews right away or just fell into it but he got 2 solid backs. It tells me 400 carries is the floor. I think he'll try to push the 500 carry mark.

Murray 250

Mathews 200

Sproles 50

Somewhere in that range.
Mirrors my thinking. With receptions, I think Murray will still get close to 300 touches if healthy. Murray will still be a fantasy RB1.....anhd Mathews might just make a nice RB2 or flex.

Faust said:
I think this puts the light bulb over my head on the whole Murray/Shady/Eagles/Chip thing.

Chip Kelly simply does not want to be known as a team that can dominate opponents on the ground. Despite having two RBs in Shady and Murray and one of the biggest mismatch RBs in the league in Sproles at his disposal, he is absolutely hell bent on doing it his way and being this guy that grows the mystique of a team that stresses the defense all over the place, all the time, through the air.

Going back and watching some interviews with former players when Chip first brought the idea to college, they specifically say things that support this in that it's all about the perception of killing the opponent quickly on any given play and stressing the pass defense.

Maybe sometimes it IS as simple as the nose on our face. It simply doesn't matter that at the NFL level, most coaches that last play to the strength of their players. Chip is going to do it his way. I don't care if they score 50 points a game every game, I will not own another Chip Kelly RB. This mindset is going to break people's fantasy hearts.

Faust said:
I think this puts the light bulb over my head on the whole Murray/Shady/Eagles/Chip thing.

Chip Kelly simply does not want to be known as a team that can dominate opponents on the ground. Despite having two RBs in Shady and Murray and one of the biggest mismatch RBs in the league in Sproles at his disposal, he is absolutely hell bent on doing it his way and being this guy that grows the mystique of a team that stresses the defense all over the place, all the time, through the air.

Going back and watching some interviews with former players when Chip first brought the idea to college, they specifically say things that support this in that it's all about the perception of killing the opponent quickly on any given play and stressing the pass defense.

Maybe sometimes it IS as simple as the nose on our face. It simply doesn't matter that at the NFL level, most coaches that last play to the strength of their players. Chip is going to do it his way. I don't care if they score 50 points a game every game, I will not own another Chip Kelly RB. This mindset is going to break people's fantasy hearts.
Chip Kelly builds his offense on the running game.

Faust said:
I think this puts the light bulb over my head on the whole Murray/Shady/Eagles/Chip thing. Chip Kelly simply does not want to be known as a team that can dominate opponents on the ground. Despite having two RBs in Shady and Murray and one of the biggest mismatch RBs in the league in Sproles at his disposal, he is absolutely hell bent on doing it his way and being this guy that grows the mystique of a team that stresses the defense all over the place, all the time, through the air.

Chip Kelly RBs in his first two years.

1st overall and 3rd overall total yards. Yea. Guy just can't stop passing.

In one of my dynos, I traded for Murray and Mathews. Our league is dual-flex so I look at it as possibly having 2 starters. Even is Mathews is my 2nd flex, I'll take the upside. And even if Murray is a RB2, I'll still take the upside.

I'd feel comfortable projecting Murray for stats similar to his 2013 season, which should still put him around RB5.

1300 yards rushing, 9 TDs

Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB:

I think one of the football stories we’ve paid far too little attention to this offseason is what the Eagles have done with their skill positions. Added: running backs DeMarco Murray (the number one rusher in the league in 2014) and Ryan Mathews (number seven in 2013), first-round receiver Nelson Agholor. Subtracted: running back LeSean McCoy, wideout Jeremy Maclin. With Murray, Mathews and Darren Sproles—who, I’m told, is still a major favorite of Chip Kelly—I think you’ll see the Eagles be a top-three rushing team in 2015. That is: If they’re efficient at it, the Eagles will be in the top three in the NFL in rushing attempts this year.

I think you’re surprised by that, aren’t you? Don’t be. In Kelly’s first two seasons as an NFL coach, his Eagles were fifth in 2013 and seventh in 2014 in rushing attempts per game. With a quarterback, Sam Bradford, that the Eagles don’t want to expose to more punishment than necessary, and a potential workhorse back in Murray, the Eagles are strong candidates to run the ball more than half of their offensive snaps. That’s something no one thought Kelly would do as an NFL coach.

Users who are viewing this thread