What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody have faith in Derrick Henry? (1 Viewer)

xenon

Footballguy
What the consensus here?  Are us owners screwed and is D Lewis the guy or is it a game of patience?

The entire existing Henry thread was full of nothing but people who have never ending faith in Henry.  Maybe start there.
Personally I hate Henry, and I don't bother going into a thread if I don't like the guy most of the time unless it's the beginning of a thread where I put my opinion down when they come out of college.

No but unless Aaron Jones comes back as a starter I am stuck with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have a decent workload after Lewis gets hurt. Which happens every year except 2017 when his early season usage was non-existent (19 ATT 7 REC first 5 games.)

I have faith in his talent. I don't have faith in the Titans. I expect the Titans to fall behind often and to turn to Lewis when they do.  That being said, he is very talented and is an all around everydown back.  If you didn't see the TD he scored that was called back--you need to see it.  I will be starting him when they play a weak run D and when Lewis gets hurt, which is likely to happen.

I have faith in his talent. I don't have faith in the Titans. I expect the Titans to fall behind often and to turn to Lewis when they do.  That being said, he is very talented and is an all around everydown back.  If you didn't see the TD he scored that was called back--you need to see it.  I will be starting him when they play a weak run D and when Lewis gets hurt, which is likely to happen.
100%. He reminds me of ADP in the fact that he needs to be used in order to get going. He’s not a back that should split  time with someone else because he never truly finds his groove. It’s like hitting the reset button every time he takes a series off. 

Unfortunately, I don’t see this changing any time soon so I’m hoping he can string together a couple good games and then I’ll try and unload him. 

Sarlakticacid said:
The whole offense, with all the injuries,  is not looking good for a player like Henry 

Chaka said:
Absolutely but I have a lot more faith in him when Lewan and Conklin are in the lineup.
This.

I'm as big as Titans fan as almost anyone here. When healthy I think the players can do very well. But Henry recast as Rick Grimes isn't going to work. 

Obviously if Rodgers had not made it back, his loss would be bigger. But as things stand no team took a bigger hit in week 1 than the Titans. Went from a wildcard team to bottom half due to injuries. 

I own both Henry & Lewis, started Henry week 1 but am starting Lewis this week .....  I think it will take 3-4 weeks before we see usage trends (besides: Titans up late, Henry - Titans down second half, Lewis). 

I think Henry is Brandon Jacobs. Best used as a match RB2/ solid RB3.

What sucks for me is I only need 1 of them for 4 weeks, then I am starting both Kamara & Ingram most weeks (who I think the Titans want Henry & Lewis to became poor man versions of)

If 1 goes down - the other could become a league winner ..... (that will be my spin on any trade talks to max value)

I think people assume that the reason dion got the carries late was because they were trailing. I don't think that's it 

The game script was part of it, sure. But for different reasons. 

Yes, they needed a guy who can catch. But Henry can catch too.

Dion is a good pass protector, and they had lost half their pass blockers. Henry can block too, and he's bigger. 

Dion had just broken a big run.  But Henry did too.

Yeah that were trailing in the 4th quarter,  but Henry is a beast in the 4th quarter, averaging over 5 yards per carry once he's worn down a defense, but in the first quarter he averages just 2.2 yards per carry.  You saw that he has breakaway speed on the run that got called back. It's not like you need to take him off the field - you ran him in the first quarter to get these carries in the 4th, and you want the defense to be afraid of him. 

I think the main reason they went with dion this game is the lightning delays. They were running Henry early and he led in carries 7 to 3 at the first lightning delay, but then everyone got a nice two hour break.  Then a little football, and another nice long break. The lightning delay let the defense rest, and there's a bigger worry that henry would get 1 yard on first down on a must win drive. 

In a regular game script, I don't think you'll see it nearly as lopsided, even when they're trailing.  Get henry in there on a 4th quarter drive and go no huddle run run run and threaten play action.  That's brutal to a defense.  

Give it time.  Start someone else if you're not comfortable but hang onto him.  By the end of the year when defenses are beat up and the depth is abysmal, Henry is going to feast. 

Could it be that people think Henry is Thunder when he is really the Lightning? The guy is a home run threat in a linebacker body. Including the playoffs, 4 of his 7 TDs last year were from over 35 yards out. 3 of his 6 regular season TDs were from over 50 yards out. His phantom hold TD week 1 was 60+ yards out. He's closer to Chris Johnson than Brandon Jacobs, except Henry can catch too. For the distance league I'm in, he's a perfect plug and play Flex as if he scores he's doing it from way out.

Could it be that people think Henry is Thunder when he is really the Lightning? The guy really is home run threat in a linebacker body. Including the playoffs, 4 of his 6 TDs last year were from over 35 yards out. 3 of his 4 regular season TDs were from over 50 yards out. His phantom hold TD week 1 was 60+ yards out. He's closer to Chris Johnson than Brandon Jacobs, except Henry can catch too. For the distance league I'm in, he's a perfect plug and play Flex as if he scores he's doing it from way out.
He is lightning but at the same time his massive body wears down defenses when they tackle him. He is the exact running back you want to feed 25+ times a game. Sometimes I don't understand NFL coaches.

He is lighting but at the same time his massive body wears down defenses when they tackle him. He is the exact running back you want to feed 25+ times a game. Sometimes I don't understand NFL coaches.
I agree that a guy like him needs carries, but maybe he just isn't an between the tackles type runner despite his size? I'm not really sure he's a body blow power RB like Mark Ingram. If he catches the edge, he's gone. He seems to need some runway to get to ramming speed. Great stiff arm and he will punish tacklers, but he's not a plodding 1 yard and a cloud of dust big body guy. He really is an unusual RB.

The thing that excites me for Henry this year is that LaFleur is supposedly switching to a zone scheme from power which fits Henry perfectly. That called back TD is evidence of what he can do in that scheme. Still got to give the big guy carries.

He’s someone who I targeted in every league, and didn’t get in any of them. So I’m not sure how to feel. On one hand, it’s nice to see someone I missed out on be unsuccessful, but on the other, I would hate to be so wrong about a player.

He’s someone who I targeted in every league, and didn’t get in any of them. So I’m not sure how to feel. On one hand, it’s nice to see someone I missed out on be unsuccessful, but on the other, I would hate to be so wrong about a player.
One game bro.

Yeah that were trailing in the 4th quarter,  but Henry is a beast in the 4th quarter, averaging over 5 yards per carry once he's worn down a defense, but in the first quarter he averages just 2.2 yards per carry.  You saw that he has breakaway speed on the run that got called back. It's not like you need to take him off the field - you ran him in the first quarter to get these carries in the 4th, and you want the defense to be afraid of him. 
Great numbers here. Which just goes to show...

He is lightning but at the same time his massive body wears down defenses when they tackle him. He is the exact running back you want to feed 25+ times a game. Sometimes I don't understand NFL coaches.
So much this. I really wish Lewis would get hurt (not really, I would never wish injury on someone) just to see what Henry could do unimpeded. He needs the ball early and often and by the 4th quarter the defenders will be tired of getting run over. 

Ok, so basically we have to wait, once every 20 runs he will bust out a 70 yard touchdown, his other carries will go for 1-2 yards each. 

I feel like he’s a guy that can have a couple of 150 yd games scattered amongst a lot of stinkers....good luck...

What the consensus here?  Are us owners screwed and is D Lewis the guy or is it a game of patience?
1 game with a weird weather delay isn't going to hinder me.

Redraft wise, looks like Lewis is the better value. Just the way through NFL is going.

Scatbacks are in.

Henry could very well be tied to the return of both all pro tackles. Coach's personality, maybe even to the unveiling of the hard hitting prized rookie ILB? The Titans are going to be a whole lot tougher real soon. It might not be til week three, but adding two all pro tackles and two first round talents at LB completely changes the makeup of the team. 

I just bought Henry in a contract salary cap league.  The talent is there, the opportunity is going to be there.  Time will tell but I'm cautiously optimistic.

12 team short bench league PPR (4 bench spots) he was cut and went unclaimed.  I thought about it but kept Ekeler in case Gordon goes down.  Both Packers RB's and Henry sitting in free agency. Part of me might drop Ekeler but I just dropped A. Jones for him.

100%. He reminds me of ADP in the fact that he needs to be used in order to get going. He’s not a back that should split  time with someone else because he never truly finds his groove. It’s like hitting the reset button every time he takes a series off. 

Unfortunately, I don’t see this changing any time soon so I’m hoping he can string together a couple good games and then I’ll try and unload him. 
This has always seemed like such a weird cliche to me.  Like what exactly is the logic behind a guy getting better as he gets more tired?  The more rested he is, the better he is.

I can buy that a defense gets tired too, but that happens whether the first 3 quarters of pounding came from one RB or ten different ones.

It just seems like some lame cliche that often gets repeated but no one has actually looked at any data on.  For instance in college Henry's least efficient season was the one where he was the workhorse.  In his two years as a part time RB he averaged a full yard per carry higher than he did as the workhorse.  Likewise the season where Adrian Peterson split time with Chester Taylor was one of the most efficient of his career, far far beyond his average workhorse season.

Not worried at all. Week 1 was an outlier with all those delays, it doesn't make sense to tire out the defense in a game like that. Plus they were playing from behind, so of course Lewis is better suited. There will be games where Lewis sees more touches, although it certainly won't be as lopsided as in week 1. Henry's long term outlook hasn't changed for me. His weekly floor is low, Lewis is a really good allround back that can take over games at any time, especially when the Titans fall behind. But Henry's going to break enough long runs to make up for it and should really thrive when the Titans play with a lead. He's a weekly boom/bust RB2 with long term RB1 potential.

That said, Lewan and Concklin are still out, Walker is lost for the season and Mariota is banged up. I don't feel too great about any Titan this week in a tough matchup, Lewis is certainly the one with the highest floor this week due to him being relatively matchup proof. 

Titans are down 3 tackles this week and their starting TE. Might not be the week for their run game

The titans will be adding two stud offensive tackles and a quarterback in the coming weeks while other teams are getting injuries on defense.  Better days ahead. But it won't look good the next couple weeks 

The titans will be adding two stud offensive tackles and a quarterback in the coming weeks while other teams are getting injuries on defense.  Better days ahead. But it won't look good the next couple weeks 
Has the potential to be a league winner near the end of the season. I'm talking more standard leagues

I just dumped him in a short bench, very restrictive waivers league for Breida....it was either dump Henry or Kerryon.....I may regret it down the road, but not at the moment.

Had to make room and almost dropped him today. Dropped Burkhead instead. 

Ive has him since he came into the league so I’m determined to get something out of him  :yucky:

Buy low if you can.  This guy has a ton of upside once the line issues are sorted, Mariota is back in the groove, and Dion is nicked up again.  Those days are coming inevitably.  He is not quite Larry Johnson but we have seen his upside when he gets a chance to get rolling and it is potentially league winning.  I don't see how his value could get much lower than it is now outside of injury

Buy low if you can.  This guy has a ton of upside once the line issues are sorted, Mariota is back in the groove, and Dion is nicked up again.  Those days are coming inevitably.  He is not quite Larry Johnson but we have seen his upside when he gets a chance to get rolling and it is potentially league winning.  I don't see how his value could get much lower than it is now outside of injury
Tennessee is at Jacksonville this week, that's how.

When was the last time you saw Mariota "in a groove"?

Users who are viewing this thread