What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (1 Viewer)

Ilov80s said:
Ofcourse I’m using HDMI, I mean which version of HDMI do you recommend? 
They're pulling your leg. There's no such thing as different versions of cable.

The good thing is, if it works, it works. For example, if you're sending a 4K HDR signal from your 4K Blu-ray player to your 4K HDR TV and the TV shows a 4K HDR signal, you're set. It's not possible to get a better image using a different 4K HDMI cable. That's not how the technology works.

There's no such thing as HDMI cable "versions." As in, there's no such thing as an "HDMI 2.0" cable. The version numbers refer to the connections in your TV, receiver, sound bar, etc. So your TV and 4K Blu-ray player need to both have HDMI 2.0 to watch HDR content, but the cable connecting them couldn't care less. It's just a dumb pipe. 

Is that true?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Connectors

seems to say otherwise. 

is it not like Cat4/Cat5/Cat6 cable? 
There might be different connectors but the cable doesn't matter. At least for what ILov80s is asking about.

All components like TVs, cable boxes, Blu-ray players, etc. have the standard connector. The mini was used at one time for connecting cell phones and some laptops, but not really anymore.

There might be different connectors but the cable doesn't matter. At least for what ILov80s is asking about.

All components like TVs, cable boxes, Blu-ray players, etc. have the standard connector. The mini was used at one time for connecting cell phones and some laptops, but not really anymore.
I was just wondering since I see HDMI and HDMI 2.1 and beyond. But I feel confident I am fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
65’ LG OLED CX

Denon AVR S750

Sony UBPX700 4K player 

2 Onkyo Atmos speakers that are designed to project off the ceiling to pair with 5.1 onkyo speaker system I already had 
Sounds awesome - enjoy.   

I think I am back to the point where I am thinking "what's the point" if I am trying to upgrade a bit with $500-700.   Not convinced I am going to see a ton of difference without getting more bells and whistles.  

Sounds awesome - enjoy.   

I think I am back to the point where I am thinking "what's the point" if I am trying to upgrade a bit with $500-700.   Not convinced I am going to see a ton of difference without getting more bells and whistles.  
Depends where you are starting from. I don't know what your TV situation is but the TCL 4Ks are very affordable. 

Depends where you are starting from. I don't know what your TV situation is but the TCL 4Ks are very affordable. 
We have a 60" Samsung and bluray/Roku in the living room.   Just 1080p, no 4K.   

I am guessing there is some upconversion, but part of my hesitation is wondering if our internet would be able to even stream 4K effectively.   If not, is it really worth it?   I am guessing if not - what I would have to do is pair the purchase with a UHD bluray player and get the effect that way with 4K discs, right?

We have a 60" Samsung and bluray/Roku in the living room.   Just 1080p, no 4K.   

I am guessing there is some upconversion, but part of my hesitation is wondering if our internet would be able to even stream 4K effectively.   If not, is it really worth it?   I am guessing if not - what I would have to do is pair the purchase with a UHD bluray player and get the effect that way with 4K discs, right?
What about sound wise? Maybe use the money to upgrade the sound? 

Thought had crossed my mind.  Just using a simple soundbar right now.  We just a new couch, so maybe some surround sound might be the better way to go? 
Probably the most bang for the buck from where you are at. I would say it also depends if you have another room where your 60' Samsung could be used if you did upgrade the TV. 

Probably the most bang for the buck from where you are at. I would say it also depends if you have another room where your 60' Samsung could be used if you did upgrade the TV. 
Yeah, the 60" would get moved to the bedroom Lol.   We just have a 34" or so in there an my wife made a comment a couple months ago about having a TV in there she could actually see.  

In that case a 4K tv wouldn’t be a waste at all
I think I will ask then, and sorry - I probably already have:

1.  Will I notice the difference much if I jump to a 4k Tv if I can't stream in 4K effectively?  If not, might not be worth it right now. 

2.  Instead of doing something like 70-75" 4K TV and nothing else, should I think about similar size currently 60-65 and get that $150 4kbluray that AD linked (and I think you got).  - that also starts in the $ sink again of starting to re-buy movies I have already.  

3.  Assume that I have a budget of the $1K dfs winnings, but don't really need to spend all of that.  

65’ LG OLED CX

Denon AVR S750

Sony UBPX700 4K player 

2 Onkyo Atmos speakers that are designed to project off the ceiling to pair with 5.1 onkyo speaker system I already had 
The 65 OLED just dropped another $400 at costco.  Merry Christmas matuski.

Also, those who shop at Costco, what are the differences between the different TVs:

1.  65" Samsung Q8DT  QLED for  $1.5K

2.  65"  Samsung Q6DT  QLED  for $900

3.   65"  Samsung TU700D  LED for $480  

Also seems like a lot of different Samsung LED - RU9000, TU850D, etc..  ranging from that $480 and $800.    Just feeling overwhelmed.  I see some has to do with # of inputs, but is there some other stats I need to be looking closer at - contrast ratio refresh, etc.. ? 

I think I will ask then, and sorry - I probably already have:

1.  Will I notice the difference much if I jump to a 4k Tv if I can't stream in 4K effectively?  If not, might not be worth it right now. 

2.  Instead of doing something like 70-75" 4K TV and nothing else, should I think about similar size currently 60-65 and get that $150 4kbluray that AD linked (and I think you got).  - that also starts in the $ sink again of starting to re-buy movies I have already.  

3.  Assume that I have a budget of the $1K dfs winnings, but don't really need to spend all of that.  
1. Not sure- I can say for sure there. What's the current Samsung's age and quality? I will say when I am watching non 4K stuff, I absolutely see a difference between this and my oldeer Panasonic Plasma and my 5 year old Vizio LED (but to be fair, that TV sucks imo). How do you stream? Do you have cable? 

2. Depends how far you sit from your TV. 

3. I think upgrading the sound might be a bigger priority if you are just using the TV speakers. 

1. Not sure- I can say for sure there. What's the current Samsung's age and quality? I will say when I am watching non 4K stuff, I absolutely see a difference between this and my oldeer Panasonic Plasma and my 5 year old Vizio LED (but to be fair, that TV sucks imo). How do you stream? Do you have cable? 

2. Depends how far you sit from your TV. 

3. I think upgrading the sound might be a bigger priority if you are just using the TV speakers. 
1.  Samsung isn't that old.  3-4 years maybe?  The youngest one decided to help "clean" it one day, so there have been several scratches in the picture for a bit.   No to cable - we are enough out in the country that we can't get normal cable internet.  We are rocking a company call Upnet for our satellite internet.  No cap on GB/months now, but our max speed is about 30GB/s.  We have a bluray player, Xbox1, and Roku hooked up currently to stream our stuff - HBO, Prime, Hulu, NF, Shudder, and Kanopy.    The main time I notice a bad picture is with shows that are dark.  I was constantly annoyed with a show like GoT if they were at night or in the crypts, etc..   Everything was foggy and crappy looking.   Hard to describe.  

2.  Currently we are about 7' from the screen.  We are waiting for the 4th piece to the new sectional, and at that point we will make final adjustments, but that probably won't get farther away - if anything a little closer.    

3.  I do have a cheap Samsung soundbar, but just one that is sitting by the TV - no surround, no subwoofer, etc.   We had a Vizio 5.1 soundbar for awhile, but that pooped out around the time when the 5 year old was born, and with her sleeping a lot and taking naps I wasn't able to turn up a movie at all anyway, so I just got a pretty cheap one.  A good portion of the time at night I still listen to my movie through my headphones and the Xbox controller at night so I don't annoy people.  

KarmaPolice said:
1.  Samsung isn't that old.  3-4 years maybe?  The youngest one decided to help "clean" it one day, so there have been several scratches in the picture for a bit.   No to cable - we are enough out in the country that we can't get normal cable internet.  We are rocking a company call Upnet for our satellite internet.  No cap on GB/months now, but our max speed is about 30GB/s.  We have a bluray player, Xbox1, and Roku hooked up currently to stream our stuff - HBO, Prime, Hulu, NF, Shudder, and Kanopy.    The main time I notice a bad picture is with shows that are dark.  I was constantly annoyed with a show like GoT if they were at night or in the crypts, etc..   Everything was foggy and crappy looking.   Hard to describe.  

2.  Currently we are about 7' from the screen.  We are waiting for the 4th piece to the new sectional, and at that point we will make final adjustments, but that probably won't get farther away - if anything a little closer.    

3.  I do have a cheap Samsung soundbar, but just one that is sitting by the TV - no surround, no subwoofer, etc.   We had a Vizio 5.1 soundbar for awhile, but that pooped out around the time when the 5 year old was born, and with her sleeping a lot and taking naps I wasn't able to turn up a movie at all anyway, so I just got a pretty cheap one.  A good portion of the time at night I still listen to my movie through my headphones and the Xbox controller at night so I don't annoy people.  
What is your speed for internet? I don't think it's 30gb bc that's awfully fast. Did you mean 30Mbps? If so 4k streaming would be though with Netflix recommending 25Mbps for 4k streams. 

If you're supposed to be getting 300 Mbps/sec than it maybe worth spending $200-300 on a mesh router to get better connection through out your house if the TV is far away/not directly connected to the modem/router.

What is your speed for internet? I don't think it's 30gb bc that's awfully fast. Did you mean 30Mbps? If so 4k streaming would be though with Netflix recommending 25Mbps for 4k streams. 

If you're supposed to be getting 300 Mbps/sec than it maybe worth spending $200-300 on a mesh router to get better connection through out your house if the TV is far away/not directly connected to the modem/router.
I did, sorry.  Got confused with the old system and us getting capped at a certain GB/month like a cell phone plan.  

We are not supposed to be getting that.  I think the plan is "supposed to be" about 50mbps, but I rarely test it as more than about 30.    Do I assume correctly that NF would just detect if the speed was good enough and just go back to HD automatically?  

ETA:  Huh - after posting this, I ran a test on the desktop through the wifi and it was 47mbps.  

I did, sorry.  Got confused with the old system and us getting capped at a certain GB/month like a cell phone plan.  

We are not supposed to be getting that.  I think the plan is "supposed to be" about 50mbps, but I rarely test it as more than about 30.    Do I assume correctly that NF would just detect if the speed was good enough and just go back to HD automatically?  

ETA:  Huh - after posting this, I ran a test on the desktop through the wifi and it was 47mbps.  
Correct. I believe Netflix just picks the best quality. 

Maybe try seeing your speed with your cellphone next to the TV via wifi. If you can get more than 25 Mbps, you might be able to pull off 4k streaming if you limit other devices at that time.

Took advantage of Prime Days and Best Buy matched the 100 off 55" Samsung Q80T. Colors are phenomenal. 
So Best Buy lowered the price of said TV another 150 ahead of Black Friday. Spent 15 minutes in chat getting BBY to successfully price match.

question:  when i upgrade, do i hard wire the internet, directly to the tv?  in order to maximize streaming?   currently, i don't have it hard wired.  i have giga speeds 900+/35+, when hard wired.  drops to around 400+ wirelessly.

question:  when i upgrade, do i hard wire the internet, directly to the tv?  in order to maximize streaming?   currently, i don't have it hard wired.  i have giga speeds 900+/35+, when hard wired.  drops to around 400+ wirelessly.
I bet @Hawks64 can answer more definitively but I stream 4k movies wirelessly with no problem. I'd guess you'd have no problem at those speeds.

I don't notice any different when I connect a cat5 versus connecting wirelessly.

I bet @Hawks64 can answer more definitively but I stream 4k movies wirelessly with no problem. I'd guess you'd have no problem at those speeds.

I don't notice any different when I connect a cat5 versus connecting wirelessly.
So I don't use my TV as the streaming device, I use a nVidia Shield TV Pro and have it connected hard wired. There a few reasons for that but primarily I needed something that could handle large UHD and HD Audio streams and do the decoding on the fly.

For just streaming from Netflix/Prime/etc you should have zero problems using wifi if your speed tests are in the 400Mbps range. Typically 4k streams from those providers are in the 25-30Mbps range.

So the guy told me not to watch channels that have their logo in the corner because it will burn in.

What?  Like I can't binge watch shows or what?
From everything I’ve read, that’s BS. Like you would have to watch the same channel for hours and hours and hours everyday. Plus it has features to prevent burn in such as a pixel shift that regularly  moves the pixels slightly (you can’t notice it) so that burn in won’t happen. 

So the guy told me not to watch channels that have their logo in the corner because it will burn in.

What?  Like I can't binge watch shows or what?
It shouldnt be a worry if you watch different shows/channels. 

It's only something to worry about it you keep it on ESPN or CNN with scrolling tickers all the time.

Ilov80s said:
From the research I’ve done, Hisense or TCL are the way to do if you want a cheap but high quality tv
After looking at that site that AD linked, this is the way I am leaning now - Hisense H9G.    Is that just a Best Buy only TV? Never heard of it before.  

ETA:   ...Or not.   I just checked again on Best Buy website and they are all unavailable.  Looks like Amazon price is $150 more.  

Ilov80s said:
From the research I’ve done, Hisense or TCL are the way to do if you want a cheap but high quality tv
I always spent way too much on TVs.. and while I just bought an OLED for my primary, I have 4 TCL's and I swear they are all better than the expensive Sony and Samsung's of recent years.

Users who are viewing this thread