What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone starting Rams "skill" players tonight on TNF? (1 Viewer)

PhantomJB

Footballguy
QB: S. Bradford

WR: C.Givens / A. Pettis

TE: J. Cook

RB: D. Richardson / I. Pead

Given the losses of Aldon Smith and Patrick Willis, I could see the Rams' game plan being kind of West Coast Offense-on-steroids type of an approach even more so than usual. Heavy on the dink-and-dunk short and medium length passes which could bode well for Pettis and possibly Cook in PPR leagues.

While banged up, the 49ers DEF is still Top 10 in not allowing pass plays of 20+ and 40+ yards. Not a great matchup on paper for C. Givens.

Richardson expected to play but still dealing with a foot issue. 49ers rush defense exposed last week but the Rams backfield << Bradshaw / T-Rich. Pead could be in for a big night.

In addition, starting RT Saffold is out tonight which is another hit against the run game and possibly Cook if they keep him in to run block.

Bradford might have another 50 attempts if they get behind but expect minimal TD passes.

Thoughts? Predictions? Projections?

Dunno if this helps, but SF is ranked 29th against the run through three games, and might not have Patrick Willis tonight.

Rams home game, right? Hopefully they'll be fired up for this one. While not starting him, I'm hoping Richardson will play well and have his first solid game of the season.

Benching Cook and starting Zuerlein. Hopefully Rams can stay within 20 pts until the starting lineups for each team have been announced, unlike the last couple of weeks.

surprised no one else is starting Tavon Austin - I think he could have his best game of the year tonight
Toying with Austin as a start in one league, with Jordy out for the week. The Niners are bad against slot guys under the best of circumstances, and the best of circumstances left SF along with Alex Smith. Starting Bradford for sure in another, which I'm not crazy about, but it's the best matchup I've got this wk. :shrug:

Starting Cook due to Finley's bye/injury in one league, have him on the bench in favor of J. Thomas in another. Have Givens on the bench in favor of Stephen Hill, in a third league.

Also Starting Dalton over Bradford based on matchup.

Would love to start Austin if I had him.

Given the losses of Aldon Smith and Patrick Willis, I could see the Rams' game plan being kind of West Coast Offense-on-steroids type of an approach even more so than usual. Heavy on the dink-and-dunk short and medium length passes which could bode well for Pettis and possibly Cook in PPR leagues.

While banged up, the 49ers DEF is still Top 10 in not allowing pass plays of 20+ and 40+ yards. Not a great matchup on paper for C. Givens.

Richardson expected to play but still dealing with a foot issue. 49ers rush defense exposed last week but the Rams backfield << Bradshaw / T-Rich. Pead could be in for a big night.

In addition, starting RT Saffold is out tonight which is another hit against the run game and possibly Cook if they keep him in to run block.

Bradford might have another 50 attempts if they get behind but expect minimal TD passes.

Not sure I get the love for Pead. He did nothing with his opportunity last week, and even read that he was an after thought to Cunningham. Factor in that Richardson seems healthy, and Pead seems droppable to me.....definitely not startable.

I'm starting Austin and Bradford (cam/James jones on bye).

I have drich but after that fiasco last week where he played one damn snap and then left the game I am keeping him benched until he shows that he can play a full game and play it as the feature back. Now that pead is in the picture is rather see how the caries are divied up for free rather than paying or it w/a roster spot.

Starting Powell over drich.

Starting Cook due to Finley's bye/injury in one league, have him on the bench in favor of J. Thomas in another. Have Givens on the bench in favor of Stephen Hill, in a third league.

Also Starting Dalton over Bradford based on matchup.

Would love to start Austin if I had him.
Same here. Pretty much forced to start Cook in a couple of leagues with Finley on bye.

Starting the following RBs over DRich: CJ2K, MJD, and Bradshaw. Though I thought about starting DRich over MJD. I'd rather wait and see with DRich, hopefully he breaks out tonight.

EDIT: Forced to start Cook. Should be decent, but who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not sure I get the love for Pead. He did nothing with his opportunity last week, and even read that he was an after thought to Cunningham. Factor in that Richardson seems healthy, and Pead seems droppable to me.....definitely not startable.
Wouldn't say it is "love" for Pead, just a plausible scenario. Richardson also seemed healthy last Sunday and yet played only two snaps according to Dr. Bramel.

Four days later if Richardson is still limited and the Rams fall behind early then Pead could replicate last week's 7 recpts or perhaps even better.

I wouldn't suggest that pead is startable yet..first we have to see how the coaching staff splits up the carries BW these 2 (and Cunningham) tonight while all are healthy.

But I don't understand why everyone thinks pead was so bad this past week . He was an integral part of the passing game catching. All 7 at gets that came his way or 43 yards. And his ypc at 3.3 while nothing special wasn't too different than Richardson.

If Richardson doesn't come out of the box firing in all cylinders today pead will get his shot.

Too risky to start either. Gotta sit in the sidelines and watch how it plays out. If it's a 50/50 rbbc trees simply not enough Rb production in at Louis to make either of them anything more than a bye week filler.

Despite the seemingly favorable matchup, I'll be benching Richardson (for Gio in one league, and for Joique Bell in another). The circumstances of his Sunday were a little too weird for me to be comfortable starting him 4 days later. He's also struggled as a runner since hurting his foot the first time during the Arizona game.

Cook, however, I'll be starting quite happily. Willis should be a huge loss in coverage, and the SF pass rush should be diminished with Brooks coming on blitzes instead of Aldon Smith. I think the middle of the field will be full of mismatches for Cook's size and speed all night.

I am going with a trio of Rams today: Bradford, Richardson and Legatron; Pettis sitting on my bench (starting Dez/Fitz/Shorts)

Last edited by a moderator:
Would love to roll the dice on Gronk, but I'm playing it conservative and going with Cook. Don't like the RB situation @ all, Austin could have a big game.

As of now, looking to sit Bradford and start Tanehill (2nd qb in two qb league) and starting broyles over givens.

Wavering on sitting Bradford, but the miners should be fired up and it's a Thursday game... Not an easy decision.

Cook, however, I'll be starting quite happily. Willis should be a huge loss in coverage, and the SF pass rush should be diminished with Brooks coming on blitzes instead of Aldon Smith. I think the middle of the field will be full of mismatches for Cook's size and speed all night.
I hope you're right about Cook. I was beginning to think I'm nuts to feel good about him tonight, with all the "forced to start Cook" comments.

Cook's targets are like 6th amongst TEs. He's a solid option.

I wouldn't suggest that pead is startable yet..first we have to see how the coaching staff splits up the carries BW these 2 (and Cunningham) tonight while all are healthy.

But I don't understand why everyone thinks pead was so bad this past week . He was an integral part of the passing game catching. All 7 at gets that came his way or 43 yards. And his ypc at 3.3 while nothing special wasn't too different than Richardson.

If Richardson doesn't come out of the box firing in all cylinders today pead will get his shot.

Too risky to start either. Gotta sit in the sidelines and watch how it plays out. If it's a 50/50 rbbc trees simply not enough Rb production in at Louis to make either of them anything more than a bye week filler.
I didn't watch the game, so I can't give any input besides what I've read from others. But Bloom's analysis of Pead's performance suggests that Pead sucks, stating that Pead was "extremely unremarkable running the ball" and "extremely unimpressive with the ball in his hands". Basically, he chalked up Pead's acceptable statistical line to being the primary RB during garbage time, nothing more, and he fully expects DRich to return to being the workhorse once he's 100%.

I think in PPR leagues, Austin is a much better starter than either of the two wr's you have listed in your OP.

Austin is getting a lot of looks, but unfortunately they haven't figured out ways to get him more involved. I think his breakout games are coming though. Many times the difference in breaking free for a long gain and getting an 8 yard gain is just small adjustments in route running.

You play Austin ahead of Givens and Pettis, imo, because of the upside. You know he'll get 10 points or so...but he also has the potential to explode.

If Richardson is healthy I expect(hope) he will get the majority of touches. The problem is if he can't produce he may never do it.

I think in PPR leagues, Austin is a much better starter than either of the two wr's you have listed in your OP.

Austin is getting a lot of looks, but unfortunately they haven't figured out ways to get him more involved. I think his breakout games are coming though. Many times the difference in breaking free for a long gain and getting an 8 yard gain is just small adjustments in route running.

You play Austin ahead of Givens and Pettis, imo, because of the upside. You know he'll get 10 points or so...but he also has the potential to explode.
As a Cowboys fan and Tavon Austin owner in a PPR league, I loved his outing last Sunday: all those 1-yard passes. Starting him tonight and hoping he breaks a few of those.

I hope you're right about Cook. I was beginning to think I'm nuts to feel good about him tonight, with all the "forced to start Cook" comments.

Cook's targets are like 6th amongst TEs. He's a solid option.
Yep. Only reason people are down on Cook is because his terrible game came in week 2 rather than, like, week 7. Martellus Bennett had a 2/10 game last weekend. Witten went 3/12 in week 2. Every TE will have them.

Right now, Julius Thomas has 14/194/4 and is everyone's dream player, while Cook has 13/195/2. Those two TDs are obviously important, but it's wayyy too early to bail on Cook.

Yep. Only reason people are down on Cook is because his terrible game came in week 2 rather than, like, week 7. Martellus Bennett had a 2/10 game last weekend. Witten went 3/12 in week 2. Every TE will have them.
"I won't," says Jimmy Graham.

("Unless I get hurt early in the game," he adds under his breath.)

First of all - good thread topic.

Second, I have Givens but can't start him. Yes A. Smith and Willis (probably) are out, but the Rams laid an egg four days ago, and these TNF games don't leave much time for gameplanning. Didn't tackle Long have a bad game last week as well? On the plus side, at least he got 81% of the targets last week after getting only 65% of field time in week 2. Still, I can't do it - even with the injuries, I can see SF actually showing some resistance this week.

Third, I am still waiting for Austin's play to warrant his top 10 draft selection.

Starting Bradford in my 2 QB league, benching him in another league for Luck. Toying with starting Pead in PPR at flex (other options are Ball and a glut of samey WR's).

Starting Bradford over Tannehill and Russell Wilson. Not sure why. Just a feeling.

Also starting Cook over Housler and Eifert.

Users who are viewing this thread