What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are Joe Burrow and the Bengals here to stay as a contender? (1 Viewer)

From the OP
- Brown is one of the worst owners in the league and much like Dolphins owner-Stephen Ross, Bengals tend not to change their stripes and I don't think Brown will have an epiphany.

Doesn't feel like much has changed. Time to pay the bill and they are dragging their feet
I don't think there's any real problem here. What are they going to do, not pay him? Not give him the next record breaking contract? Let him hit free agency?

Burrow is a Bengal no matter how long it takes the sides to put a deal together. Even if he tears his acl in training camp and can't play for the year he's still resetting the qb market with his next contract.

Answer to OP is yes.

Now I will return to the ***Official*** Bengals thread :)

-QG
Should I find my way to the Cinci thread or should I just keep extending this one?

Why is Burrow still on his rookie deal?
Pretty sure Mahomes, Allen, Murray and now Hurts were all extended close to the 36 month mark/3 years from the time they were drafted
Good QBs don't play Year 4 on their rookie deals without a big fat extension in their hands. Technically they do play year 4 salary but the entire singing bonus they get after 3 years is directly deposited into their bank accounts. $20M, $30M, $50M+, whatever the singing bonus when they extend, that is paid pretty much upfront or on the spot.

Every month an owner makes a superstar QB wait to get the deal done which has to be very close the number each side wants but still they wait...it's costing Burrow in compound interest right now. At some point despite his patience and also being vocal about loving Cinci, the Bengals are using his good will and walking all over it.
Call me an optimist, but I have zero concern about this.

Answer to OP is yes.

-QG
Should I find my way to the Cinci thread or should I just keep extending this one?

Pretty sure Mahomes, Allen, Murray and now Hurts were all extended close to the 36 month mark/3 years from the time they were drafted
Good QBs don't play Year 4 on their rookie deals without a big fat extension in their hands. Technically they do play year 4 salary but the entire singing bonus they get after 3 years is directly deposited into their bank accounts. $20M, $30M, $50M+, whatever the singing bonus when they extend, that is paid pretty much upfront or on the spot.

Every month an owner makes a superstar QB wait to get the deal done which has to be very close the number each side wants but still they wait...it's costing Burrow in compound interest right now. At some point despite his patience and also being vocal about loving Cinci, the Bengals are using his good will and walking all over it.

Lamar, and Dak are both good QBs that didn't have an extension. Where is the Herbert thread? It is going to be a fun experiment to see how many years you add to the title of this thread.

From the OP
- Brown is one of the worst owners in the league and much like Dolphins owner-Stephen Ross, Bengals tend not to change their stripes and I don't think Brown will have an epiphany.

Doesn't feel like much has changed. Time to pay the bill and they are dragging their feet
I don't think there's any real problem here. What are they going to do, not pay him? Not give him the next record breaking contract? Let him hit free agency?

Burrow is a Bengal no matter how long it takes the sides to put a deal together. Even if he tears his acl in training camp and can't play for the year he's still resetting the qb market with his next contract.
Then why isn't it already done? Other QBs were extended already, the Bengals are not being respectful

Answer to OP is yes.

-QG

The concern is they already know what the deal should look like, what is the hold up?
Is it Burrow's demands or Brown's frugalness and inability to pay the big bucks?

Answer to OP is yes.

-QG

The concern is they already know what the deal should look like, what is the hold up?
Is it Burrow's demands or Brown's frugalness and inability to pay the big bucks?
At what point did the ideal specs of the deal become so obvious? Seems like there would always be details to be hammered out.

From the OP

Then why isn't it already done? Other QBs were extended already, the Bengals are not being respectful
What other QBs? Tua and Herbert are from the same draft class and I don't think they have been extended.

From the OP

How do you know it's the Bengals? How do you know they haven't sent out a number of offers early in the off season, or last year even, and Burrow and his agents are dragging their feet and waiting for the rest of the qbs to sign before he does?
What inside information do you have?

The Bills did their extension with Allen in 2021 in August. Was the sky falling for them before that?

The Bengals generally in recent years do their extensions in August/around camp.

But people hate Mike Brown and want to always push the same tired narratives without literally paying any attention to history

They also always pay their QBs. They always pay their WRs.

They operate on the timeline that they do. But it is much more entertaining to try and invent drama that doesn't exist.

So carry on posting trash in here until then.

And when the extension is announced in late July/early August lock this thread

Thank you.

-QG

From the OP

How do you know it's the Bengals? How do you know they haven't sent out a number of offers early in the off season, or last year even, and Burrow and his agents are dragging their feet and waiting for the rest of the qbs to sign before he does?
What inside information do you have?I did ask
I did ask if it was Burrow or Brown if you scroll up a few posts
:p

Last edited:
The Bills did their extension with Allen in 2021 in August. Was the sky falling for them before that?

The Bengals generally in recent years do their extensions in August/around camp.

But people hate Mike Brown and want to always push the same tired narratives without literally paying any attention to history

They operate on the timeline that they do. But it is much more entertaining to try and invent drama that doesn't exist.

Thank you.

-QG
That's one way of putting it

-I would say they mishandled Carson Palmer and also just about got him killed before he finally put his foot down and demanded a trade, sitting out part of the season as I recall.
-Then they overpaid Andy Dalton so they didn't upset the apple cart and have a Palmer repeat except they never had a franchise QB in Dalton, took them a while to come to grips with that.
-And now we assume that Burrow is being handled well because you and Cinci fans say Brown always pays his players?

I don't see it that way based on history but I respect if you see things different.
MoP does not believe Burrow should take the field if they cannot get an extension prior to camp/season starting and we're less than 90 days from Week 1.
🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Palmer quit a year or two AFTER we signed him to an extension and that was what 12 years ago or whatever.

Whether keeping Dalton was correct or not they paid him.

Again I know it's the slow time of year and people cannot help but stick to the same lazy narratives.

-QG

Palmer quit a year or two AFTER we signed him to an extension and that was what 12 years ago or whatever.

Again I know it's the slow time of year and people cannot help but stick to the same lazy narratives.

-QG
-Acting like Palmer was the problem in that relationship with the Bengals and Mike Brown is lazy

-Wondering whether Dalton being kept was the correct move? They paid him because they didn't want another Palmer situation, that was the point. We know they paid Dalton, it was a direct result of having their former QB quit as you say although that seems lazy, we like to say Palmer forced a trade out of Cincinnati.

-We all know summers are a great time to go tubing with a beer in hand down a lazy stream. I think this narrative however is far from lazy

-MoP
:thumbup:

-QG
-Acting like Palmer was the problem in that relationship with the Bengals and Mike Brown is lazy

-Wondering whether Dalton being kept was the correct move? They paid him because they didn't want another Palmer situation, that was the point. We know they paid Dalton, it was a direct result of having their former QB quit as you say although that seems lazy, we like to say Palmer forced a trade out of Cincinnati.

-We all know summers are a great time to go tubing with a beer in hand down a lazy stream. I think this narrative however is far from lazy

-MoP
I always thought Palmer wanted out because the team wasn't having a lot of success. Didn't we give him a huge contract? I want to say $108 million maybe?

-QG

-MoP
I always thought Palmer wanted out because the team wasn't having a lot of success. Didn't we give him a huge contract? I want to say $108 million maybe?

Correct he quit AFTER the big contract extension

Bengals are 4th in OL spending - over 25% of their cap with a huge overhaul at the position in the last 2 years with 4 big money signings. Compare that to the other bottom-2 online from that year the Dolphins who are currently 19th and spend less than 19% of their cap on OL.

But like I said this thread is over in about 6 weeks

-QG

-QG

-MoP

Bengals are 4th in OL spending - over 25% of their cap with a huge overhaul at the position in the last 2 years with 4 big money signings. Compare that to the other bottom-2 online from that year the Dolphins who are currently 19th and spend less than 19% of their cap on OL.

-QG
Wow, interesting, I had no idea they spent that much on o-line. Seems crazy, but also seems apparently necessary at this point. Whatever it costs, we needed it improved.

-QG

-MoP

-QG
Wow, interesting, I had no idea they spent that much on o-line. Seems crazy, but also seems apparently necessary at this point. Whatever it costs, we needed it improved.
Appreciate both of you contributing and bringing your opinions from the Cincinnati POV
Good stuff

-QG

-MoP

-QG
Appreciate both of you contributing and bringing your opinions from the Cincinnati POV
Good stuff
That's just my memory/perception of it. Don't recall a money issue. But I was relatively new to football at that time, so I didn't have a great grasp of what was going on (still working on that).

-I would say they mishandled Carson Palmer and also just about got him killed before he finally put his foot down and demanded a trade, sitting out part of the season as I recall.
-Then they overpaid Andy Dalton so they didn't upset the apple cart and have a Palmer repeat except they never had a franchise QB in Dalton, took them a while to come to grips with that.
-And now we assume that Burrow is being handled well because you and Cinci fans say Brown always pays his players?

I don't see it that way based on history but I respect if you see things different.
MoP does not believe Burrow should take the field if they cannot get an extension prior to camp/season starting and we're less than 90 days from Week 1.
🤷‍♂️
Do you have a Hot Take Tik Tok account that I can not subscribe to??

:lmao: There’s zero reason for any party to be concerned except the rest of the division and conference. I’m very far from a Bengals fan but there’s no way they blow this.
Some people just love the soap opera type drama more than the sport it seems.
There’s certainly an aspect of team building many of us enjoy. Could leave the “drama” out. But the business side is interesting.

Herbert got his money
$260+M

Burrow shouldn't be on the field right now risking injury
Why hasn't he been extended already?

Thank you.

-QG

🤷‍♂️
:stirspot:

Herbert got his money
$260+M

Thank you.

-QG

🤷‍♂️
Ask Burrow, I don't know what talks have been like.

Herbert got his money
$260+M

Thank you.

-QG

🤷‍♂️
Except it's the Bengals, thus why Burrow has a special MoP thread you don't find for guys like Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, I never trust the Bengals ownership

-Burrow is a simple country boy, some might call him a cockeyed optimist that got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of Bengals' diplomacy.
🤷‍♂️

Herbert got his money
$260+M

Thank you.

-QG

🤷‍♂️
Except it's the Bengals, thus why Burrow has a special MoP thread you don't find for guys like Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, I never trust the Bengals ownership

-Burrow is a simple country boy, some might call him a cockeyed optimist that got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of Bengals' diplomacy.
🤷‍♂️
Great quote, but I have faith in my team. Maybe I'm the cockeyed optimist here.

Herbert got his money
$260+M

Thank you.

-QG

🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️
Josh Allen didn't sign his extension until August (~5 months after Dak), and Mahomes had no other stud QBs to wait on before signing (I certainly don't count Tannehill, but even if you do Mahomes signed 3 1/2 months after Tanny).

This is how it works. This is a very unusual offseason with 4 franchise QBs up for extension, but generally it starts with the lowest on the totem pole and moves up from there. This year it was Hurts, then Lamar, then Herbert (the ink isn't even dry on his yet btw), and now it's Burrow's turn. There's nothing unusual at all about the timing- if he plays this season without an extension then you'll be onto something, but until then this is just you doing you.

Any way you slice it, after going down untouched yesterday until the ink is on the contract Burrow should refuse to go anywhere other than the QB room. He should install a toilet, a bed and have his meals brought to him there.

Herbert got his money
$260+M

Thank you.

-QG

🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️
Josh Allen didn't sign his extension until August (~5 months after Dak), and Mahomes had no other stud QBs to wait on before signing (I certainly don't count Tannehill, but even if you do Mahomes signed 3 1/2 months after Tanny).

This is how it works. This is a very unusual offseason with 4 franchise QBs up for extension, but generally it starts with the lowest on the totem pole and moves up from there. This year it was Hurts, then Lamar, then Herbert (the ink isn't even dry on his yet btw), and now it's Burrow's turn. There's nothing unusual at all about the timing- if he plays this season without an extension then you'll be onto something, but until then this is just you doing you.
He went down in practice yesterday, MoP has nothing to do with that, simply reacting to the blatant obvious of this situation. What if he had torn his meniscus instead of a possible Grade II calf injury which still might sideline him 4-6 weeks, we don't know how bad the injury really is but I doubt we see him under center the rest of camp.

Hopefully it's just a Grade 1 and you're looking at a timeline of 7-10 days but that still is a decent chunk of camp and typically these first few days are what sets the tone for the year. MoP is not doing MoP, simply reacting to the facts. The guy is on a Rookie Deal, entering Year 4 with 2 trips to the AFCC and a Super Bowl appearance, he has no business putting himself in harm's way right now until they can hammer out a deal, it shouldn't be that hard after all these others have signed and been extended.

This is like when you check out at the grocery store and the person in front waits until every grocery item is scanned before they reach into their wallet or purse and start looking for a way to pay the bill like they're shocked that money is required at the end of their shopping trip. The Bengals should have their Sapphire Chip Credit Card out waving it over the machine while the groceries are still being scanned, it's not a mystery how things are going to end.

Well, it shouldn't be anyways.

Hypothetical: You're the Bengals and Burrow is holding firm for a 5 year DeShaun deal. What do you do?

Hypothetical: You're the Bengals and Burrow is holding firm for a 5 year DeShaun deal. What do you do?
Herbert got $220M almost in guaranteed money

I'm not naive, that report is likely leaking from the agent's side somewhere and the fact they use "Well North" makes me feel like what Burrow wants and what the Bengals will actually sign him for are not that close right now.

$300M Fully Guaranteed
5 years
What team would shy away from that with Joe Burrow?
He's succeeded now at the highest level going back to college and the guy has but maybe 1 other QB above his level right now.
Burrow is a future Hall of Fame Quarterback, perhaps that $300M is too low.

$400M
$350M Fully Guaranteed
6 years

It's gotta be a shocking number and it's gotta be painful for the owner to digest.
But JB says all the right things and has been since the season ended last year.
He wants to sign a new deal and happy to do it in Cincinnati
Burrow has distanced himself from anything that sounds remotely like he is unhappy in Cinci, it will be interesting if things do not get ironed out and if his tone changes at some point.

Or tomorrow morning he could be signing a new deal while he rehabs his calf in the hopes of stating Week 1.

I'll remind folks of things mentioned in other QB threads where it got time to start talking guaranteed money

-The owners have to come up or shell out the guaranteed money from their own bank accounts or the money has to be out of their direct control. Think of it like a casino that doesn't have enough cash to cover all the bets on their floor, that would be bad. So somewhere in a back office, 87 year old Mike Brown is trying to figure out what investments he is earning double digit returns on that he has to liquidate to cover all this and I bet it's not sitting well with him. He watched Baltimore force Lamar Jackson to wait it out almost 60 months, Brown is counting up the interest he is going to lose over the next 12-24 months while he would be perfectly within his rights as an owner to make Joe Burrow wait, especially until his rookie deal is done and can evoke the franchise tag or at least the 5th year option and see what happens.

I hope those things are not true but let's at least try and sit in that Owner's chair for a minute because these guys meet up and trade/swap stories in places we only dream of entering.
God only knows what they say to each other behind closed doors when they all gather and nobody gets to listen and report inside of there.

Herbert got his money
$260+M

Thank you.

-QG

🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️

He went down in practice yesterday, MoP has nothing to do with that, simply reacting to the blatant obvious of this situation. What if he had torn his meniscus instead of a possible Grade II calf injury which still might sideline him 4-6 weeks, we don't know how bad the injury really is but I doubt we see him under center the rest of camp.

Hopefully it's just a Grade 1 and you're looking at a timeline of 7-10 days but that still is a decent chunk of camp and typically these first few days are what sets the tone for the year. MoP is not doing MoP, simply reacting to the facts. The guy is on a Rookie Deal, entering Year 4 with 2 trips to the AFCC and a Super Bowl appearance, he has no business putting himself in harm's way right now until they can hammer out a deal, it shouldn't be that hard after all these others have signed and been extended.

This is like when you check out at the grocery store and the person in front waits until every grocery item is scanned before they reach into their wallet or purse and start looking for a way to pay the bill like they're shocked that money is required at the end of their shopping trip. The Bengals should have their Sapphire Chip Credit Card out waving it over the machine while the groceries are still being scanned, it's not a mystery how things are going to end.

You ignored pretty much everything I wrote. Did you create a thread for the Bills and Allen? At this same exact time during his process he hadn't signed, and as I said, he wasn't waiting for anyone else to sign first.

Football is a dangerous game. Every time they step on the field they are risking injury. It's up to each player to decide how they want to approach this process, I would have absolutely zero qualms with Burrow if he didn't want to practice until a deal was done, but again it's his choice. That really has nothing to do with the Bengals ownership and it's nothing like your silly grocery shopping analogy. I'm sure both parties are happy that the other QBs have signed and now they can hammer out their deal.
Try to not trip and fall as I rush to sign the deal.

Herbert got his money
$260+M

Thank you.

-QG

🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️

You ignored pretty much everything I wrote. Did you create a thread for the Bills and Allen? At this same exact time during his process he hadn't signed, and as I said, he wasn't waiting for anyone else to sign first.

Football is a dangerous game. Every time they step on the field they are risking injury. It's up to each player to decide how they want to approach this process, I would have absolutely zero qualms with Burrow if he didn't want to practice until a deal was done, but again it's his choice. That really has nothing to do with the Bengals ownership and it's nothing like your silly grocery shopping analogy. I'm sure both parties are happy that the other QBs have signed and now they can hammer out their deal.
Oh no I didn't ignore you, but when posters use derogatory words to describe someone's POV and just repeat themselves but this time use words like silly/dumb to try and attack the poster or person...maybe I did misread it. Sounds like you would encourage Mike Brown to sign the deal quickly or are you Burrow tripping with that injured calf or you think both sides win here?

Cheers!

I'll remind folks of things mentioned in other QB threads where it got time to start talking guaranteed money

-The owners have to come up or shell out the guaranteed money from their own bank accounts or the money has to be out of their direct control. Think of it like a casino that doesn't have enough cash to cover all the bets on their floor, that would be bad. So somewhere in a back office, 87 year old Mike Brown is trying to figure out what investments he is earning double digit returns on that he has to liquidate to cover all this and I bet it's not sitting well with him. He watched Baltimore force Lamar Jackson to wait it out almost 60 months, Brown is counting up the interest he is going to lose over the next 12-24 months while he would be perfectly within his rights as an owner to make Joe Burrow wait, especially until his rookie deal is done and can evoke the franchise tag or at least the 5th year option and see what happens.

I hope those things are not true but let's at least try and sit in that Owner's chair for a minute because these guys meet up and trade/swap stories in places we only dream of entering.
God only knows what they say to each other behind closed doors when they all gather and nobody gets to listen and report inside of there.
Yeah, this is a realm he has not entered.

It will be fascinating to watch. Brown has already cost himself money by waiting.

Last edited:
He's already cost himself money by waiting.
How so?

Eta: @ChiefD is the one being quoted, I did it wrong.
I'm just working on the theory that the last QB to sign will have the larger contract since they keep getting bigger and bigger.
I might have this wrong but I saw someone spin the Herbert deal as a 7yr/$290M deal which is something like $42.5M per season, not sure how they factored all that but I know the Rookies must play the 4th year out, what they get is a big fat signing bonus that covers them until the new deal starts in Year 5, pretty sure I have that right.
If he were to get a $50M signing bonus, it goes right into the bank for him, right now. That's defnitley money the owner has to shell out immediately.

If you subtract Herbert's 4th year from the equation, I'm guessing it looks like a lot more per season, and Joe Burrow has to be brought in much higher than Herbert. His resume at this point far exceeds anyone else in his Draft Class.

Mahomes is going to get a redo sooner rather than later.
My money is on the Chiefs and Mahomes to do it again.
Burrow is one of the very few that can stand in that guy's way.
I love joe Burrow and I can watch Burrow vs Mahomes from now until the end, only jealousy as a Miami fan gets in the way.

He's already cost himself money by waiting.
How so?

Eta: @ChiefD is the one being quoted, I did it wrong.
I'm just working on the theory that the last QB to sign will have the larger contract since they keep getting bigger and bigger.
Then didn't he earn himself extra money by waiting? Not following.

ETA: My bad, I thought you meant Burrow. I get it now 👍
Ah, I see now. My post was a little confusing. I edited it to refer to Brown.

Herbert got his money
$260+M

Thank you.

-QG

🤷‍♂️

🤷‍♂️

Oh no I didn't ignore you, but when posters use derogatory words to describe someone's POV and just repeat themselves but this time use words like silly/dumb to try and attack the poster or person...maybe I did misread it. Sounds like you would encourage Mike Brown to sign the deal quickly or are you Burrow tripping with that injured calf or you think both sides win here?

Cheers!
Yes, you did. Allen didn't sign his deal until August, and signed his 5 months after the other QB did. Where is your pearl clutching thread about that? You clearly have a grudge against Mike Brown for whatever reason, no skin off my nose as I'm not close to a Cincy fan anyway, but that's what's leading your narrative, not reality.

I think it was pretty clear what I meant. The QBs almost always sign in their order of value- Burrow or the Bengals have no reason to dig deeply into contract talks until they see what the other guys got, then that can be used as the baseline. Now that Herbert has signed, I fully expect them to buckle down and come to an agreement before the regular season starts. Like I said, if they don't then you can come back and rip on them, but up to this point there is absolutely no reason to, unless you have an axe to grind.

Sorry for calling your grocery store analogy silly, but honestly I think "silly" is being kind. It's nothing like this at all.

Last edited:

It will be fascinating to watch. Brown has already cost himself money by waiting.

The reason that the last QB to sign will have the larger contract is because the best QB waits until last to sign.

I would wager that Brown had very little say in waiting, Burrow and his camp almost certainly wanted to see what the others got first.

The reason that the last QB to sign will have the larger contract is because the best QB waits until last to sign.

I would wager that Brown had very little say in waiting, Burrow and his camp almost certainly wanted to see what the others got first.
Oh, of course. And Brown may have tried to get him signed earlier than we think.

I guess this will be the test of Burrow and how he wants to structure this deal to help the team keep the core. I'm guessing his representation is looking at Mahomes contract closely. But at some point that contract gets up into the percentage of the cap test that starts to restrict the entire roster.

Mahomes took up 17% of the cap last year, making it the largest percentage of a Super Bowl winning QB in history.

I hope the Bengals get it done with him. Love this rivalry and want to see it continue.

Oh, of course. And Brown may have tried to get him signed earlier than we think.

I guess this will be the test of Burrow and how he wants to structure this deal to help the team keep the core. I'm guessing his representation is looking at Mahomes contract closely. But at some point that contract gets up into the percentage of the cap test that starts to restrict the entire roster.

Mahomes took up 17% of the cap last year, making it the largest percentage of a Super Bowl winning QB in history.

I hope the Bengals get it done with him. Love this rivalry and want to see it continue.
But then why has he "already cost himself money by waiting" if it wasn't really his choice? I guess I just don't get why he's getting any blame here (yet) considering nothing has occurred that's even remotely out of the ordinary. He seems like a clown and may end up screwing things up but he hasn't even had the opportunity to do so yet. :lol:

Agreed, it's a delicate balance between "getting yours" and leaving enough to put a good team around you. He has already said that he wants to keep his teammates who are close/due extensions a focal point, so it will be interesting to see the final outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread