What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are the Chiefs getting the Michael Jordan treatment? (1 Viewer)

They sure did against the Vikings. Not only did they not get flagged for an obvious PI, on the same play, the guy the penalty should have been called on takes off his helmet and all the refs do is tell him to put it back on instead of throwing the flag. It’s bad enough they shove Mahomes, Kelce, and Reid down my throat with State Farm commercials, now I have to watch teams play them and the refs too.

This non-call on the Chiefs for a blatant hold might have cost the Jets a win.

This was one of the worst non calls I have seen in a long time.

About that Jets game....

Mistake 1: The Chiefs had the ball deep in their own territory early in the second quarter when right tackle Jawaan Taylor was flagged for a facemask penalty in the end zone. That was a safety, and it gave the Jets their first points of the game. NBC Sports rules analyst Terry McAuley said the game officials got the call wrong. McAuley noted it would be a safety if Taylor first grabbed the facemask in the end zone. McAuley said that wasn’t the case as the penalty first occurred in the field of play.
Collinsworth said it occurred outside the end zone. McAuley said the twisting/violent jerking occurred in the end zone and was correct. Collinsworth redirected his description and got McAuley to agree with him... kinda... they joked about it.
Did the pull on the facemask begin outside the endzone (yes or no)? https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/facemask/#:~:text=Rule Summary View Official Rule&text=No player shall grasp and,opponent, it is a foul

I don't want to argue this because every game is going to have something both fanbases can point at...
I'm not arguing, and I'm not part of any fanbase. Just repeating what was broadcast and commenting on what I saw.
And I asked you did the grabbing and twisting of the facemask begin outside the endzone? I'm asking because you're trying to claim the rules official mind was changed. Here's the rulebook on it again: https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/facemask/#:~:text=Rule Summary View Official Rule&text=No player shall grasp and,opponent, it is a foul

ZWK's post in this thread is the correct one. The only reason I'm pushing back on this is because it seems you're trying to feed into this special treatment narrative..

Yeah, like I'm interested enough in this crap to read through the NFL playbook.

Moving along.
LOL. Ok, but the link takes you directly to a short summary as to how the NFL defines the facemask penalty. Here's the summary:

TWISTING, PULLING, OR TURNING THE FACEMASK

No player shall grasp and control, twist, turn, push, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction.

Note: If a player grasps an opponent’s facemask, he must immediately release it. If he does not immediately release it and controls his opponent, it is a foul.

Penalty: For twisting, turning, pushing, pulling, or controlling the mask: Loss of 15 yards. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down.

On that particular play, the player begins the grasping and pulling outside the end zone.

My only point is that this idea of special treatment is silly. There are plays in every single game that every fanbase can point to (either called or not called). The officiating crews need to try to be consistent but to point to calls as a reason for a win or loss is generally silly because there are things that happen throughout the game that negatively impact both teams in any given contest.

I'm sure it's a wonderful read.

Per the OP, yes... the Chiefs now get the star calls (aka the Michael Jordan treatment).

In regards to the Vikings game PI. I think Addison didn’t do enough to try to fight through it. He seemed perfectly fine just running along. He was interfered with, but gave up. The removal of the helmet….refs have some explaining to do. No gray area there.

They're getting $1MM/day for Nike to use their likeness?
Not trying to pick on you, but what is with people saying $1MM? I see this all the time, why are there two M's in million? Curious if there is a reason for it or just a trend that has caught on. I'm used to $1K, $1M, $1B, $1T.
Its a finance term..... M is 1000 in Roman numerals so finance institutions use MM for "thousand thousands"
Sorry guys, but using short notations for money has always been $1K (one thousand), $1M (one million), $1B (one billion). No one uses roman numerals for short notations for money that I know of.
Well now you know... and knowing is half the battle. 🇺🇸

while Jordan got some calls.....he also got the **** beat out of him when he went to the rack.....Bron/Hardin/Kobe/etc. etc.....guys get calls...I think there is a little bit of a difference between sports...

KC has been on the good side of calls sometimes but also the bad....they were penalized over two and half more times then the Vikings....but refs aren't there to make sure the penalties are "even"....just like in basketball when people complain about the foul count.....sometimes one team really does commit more fouls or in this case more penalties....Chiefs committed more this game, but have the ability to overcome that sometimes unlike other teams....so when other teams can't "overcome" it....they then say it wasn't called fairly....

for all the conspiracy theorists.....do you really think that the "league" (whoever that is)....or Goddell....or the VP of officiating really goes to over 150+ plus officials and tells them....

"hey make sure things go the Chiefs way this week".....

do you really think that happens....?....really....?....and not one leak has come out from over 150 refs that they are being told this...?

as much as you think that happens....it just doesn't....if the "league" came out and said this to officials....it would be the end of the league....they ain't gonna risk it....and the core of officiating is your "integrity" and if you were told something like this by the league it would go against everything at your core and I expect we would have heard about it by at least ONE guy coming forward and spilling the beans...

play better....

while Jordan got some calls.....he also got the **** beat out of him when he went to the rack.....Bron/Hardin/Kobe/etc. etc.....guys get calls...I think there is a little bit of a difference between sports...

KC has been on the good side of calls sometimes but also the bad....they were penalized over two and half more times then the Vikings....but refs aren't there to make sure the penalties are "even"....just like in basketball when people complain about the foul count.....sometimes one team really does commit more fouls or in this case more penalties....Chiefs committed more this game, but have the ability to overcome that sometimes unlike other teams....so when other teams can't "overcome" it....they then say it wasn't called fairly....

for all the conspiracy theorists.....do you really think that the "league" (whoever that is)....or Goddell....or the VP of officiating really goes to over 150+ plus officials and tells them....

"hey make sure things go the Chiefs way this week".....

do you really think that happens....?....really....?....and not one leak has come out from over 150 refs that they are being told this...?

as much as you think that happens....it just doesn't....if the "league" came out and said this to officials....it would be the end of the league....they ain't gonna risk it....and the core of officiating is your "integrity" and if you were told something like this by the league it would go against everything at your core and I expect we would have heard about it by at least ONE guy coming forward and spilling the beans...

play better....
That sounds nice, but....

refs have been giving the chiefs preferential treatment for a long time. Frankly, I'm pleased neutral observers are starting to see it.
Indeed. How quickly people seem to have forgotten the weak holding call that basically handed the Super Bowl to the Chiefs last season.

It baffles me how much beef the Pats got that the Chiefs seem immune to. They get all the same calls, maybe more, than the Pats did during the prime Brady era.

refs have been giving the chiefs preferential treatment for a long time. Frankly, I'm pleased neutral observers are starting to see it.
Indeed. How quickly people seem to have forgotten the weak holding call that basically handed the Super Bowl to the Chiefs last season.

It baffles me how much beef the Pats got that the Chiefs seem immune to. They get all the same calls, maybe more, than the Pats did during the prime Brady era.
nah.. Chiefs have been getting preferential calls for much longer than most people realize. Remember Dante Hall and all of his PR/KR TD's? there was blocking in the back on damn near every one of those. The Chiefs DB's are the grabbiest DB's in the league - never get called for ****. Lining up in the neutral zone? all the damn time. holding? Chief's OL has that down to a science.

This isn't new. I'm happy to see others catching on.

officials "on the take" ....(which is what people are implying here)....is one of the oldest lamest most weak sauce excuses of all time....and the idea that 150 plus officials are being told to "make sure good things happen to the Chiefs" ...is crazy....

officials "on the take" ....(which is what people are implying here)....is one of the oldest lamest most weak sauce excuses of all time....and the idea that 150 plus officials are being told to "make sure good things happen to the Chiefs" ...is crazy....
They're not being told to do that, but I think they get the critical calls that decide games because there is a definite love affair with the Chiefs, mainly Mahomes, Kelce / T Swift, Reid, State Farm Chiefs, Wendy's Chiefs, etc. etc. I think the refs are caught up in it and can't help themselves in critical situations.

No, not at all what is being implied herein. Do you think the referees in professional wrestling are "on the take?"

There. That's what is being implied here (and elsewhere).

They're not being told to do that, but I think they get the critical calls that decide games because there is a definite love affair with the Chiefs, mainly Mahomes, Kelce / T Swift, Reid, State Farm Chiefs, Wendy's Chiefs, etc. etc. I think the refs are caught up in it and can't help themselves in critical situations.
wow....so you are making personality assessments on 150 plus officials who have worked there butts off to get to where they are at (best of the best)....and yet you feel they are so soft they "get caught up so easily" in things like that at the moment and can't help themselves like some crush filled teenager so they purposely make calls for the Chiefs.....got it....

would have rather you just stuck with the "they are on the take" argument......that might have more legs....now it's some weird love affair we assume they have that they can't control.....this just keeps getting better...... :lmao:

No, not at all what is being implied herein. Do you think the referees in professional wrestling are "on the take?"

:lmao:.....not sure why I'm even responding to this......wrestling is like a 3 act play that is scripted from the start with all involved playing roles with a predetermined outcome....so no I don't think the refs in wrestling are on the take....BECAUSE THEY AREN'T REALLY REFS....they are actors playing a role....

This weak holding call?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blCzq9opxO8

A good amount for some fans stems from this, wasn't helped by Olson calling the game, which wasn't helped by showing a better video angle of the play.

Last edited:
That tackle that lines up a foot back of the line of scrimmage on every play is really starting to tick me off.

(The guy they joke about basically working from 'the slot')
Quick question: Did him trying to anticipate the snap count piss you off the 4 prior seasons in Jacksonville? That guy has been trying to anticipate the snap count his entire career.

That tackle that lines up a foot back of the line of scrimmage on every play is really starting to tick me off.

Quick question: Did him trying to anticipate the snap count piss you off the 4 prior seasons in Jacksonville? That guy has been trying to anticipate the snap count his entire career.
Jacksonville doesn't get on TV much, so never really saw it before.

C'mon, those Jax teams needed all the help they could get - this Chiefs team doesn't need any special favors.

The league/announcers/officials just kind of treating it like a joke bug me more than him actually doing it. But him actually doing it is annoying too.

Jacksonville doesn't get on TV much, so never really saw it before.

C'mon, those Jax teams needed all the help they could get - this Chiefs team doesn't need any special favors.

The league/announcers/officials just kind of treating it like a joke bug me more than him actually doing it. But him actually doing it is annoying too.
So my understanding is this became a topic after the SNF game. Do you believe he has been flagged for it since that game? Just checking here also that you are saying the officials were going out of their way to help the Jaguars the 4 seasons he played in Jacksonville?

Your comments are back to what I said early on: most of those crying about this are from other jealous fanbases. The idea that there is some conspiracy with officials is rerunned....

It's okay to admit why it bothers you is because you don't like the team! Lets just perpetuate wild crazy conspiracy theory.

Last edited:
They sure did against the Vikings. Not only did they not get flagged for an obvious PI, on the same play, the guy the penalty should have been called on takes off his helmet and all the refs do is tell him to put it back on instead of throwing the flag. It’s bad enough they shove Mahomes, Kelce, and Reid down my throat with State Farm commercials, now I have to watch teams play them and the refs too.

This non-call on the Chiefs for a blatant hold might have cost the Jets a win.

This was one of the worst non calls I have seen in a long time.
There’s no way that no officials saw that. Impossible

In regards to the Vikings game PI. I think Addison didn’t do enough to try to fight through it. He seemed perfectly fine just running along. He was interfered with, but gave up. The removal of the helmet….refs have some explaining to do. No gray area there.
Yes the helmet was a penalty but a change of possession penalty. KC Ball on turnover of downs, then penalized 15 yards from there.

:lmao:.....not sure why I'm even responding to this......wrestling is like a 3 act play that is scripted from the start with all involved playing roles with a predetermined outcome....so no I don't think the refs in wrestling are on the take....BECAUSE THEY AREN'T REALLY REFS....they are actors playing a role....

/\Here you go/\ He gets it!

We think that we are watching a sport, but in reality, we are watching a product of the entertainment industry.

Imagine the horror of the millions of Swifties tuning in and Kelce's half million new followers if the Chiefs got beat by Zach Wilson and the Jets. They may never watch again! :oops:

Yes. Meanwhile the Bills were NFLs London experiment with the Jags waiting for 2 weeks. The NFL loves Arrowhead. Whenever the Chiefs are on prime time which is often 90% of the time they are home. Now add in Taylor Swift and that potential cash cow I don’t blame them.

We think that we are watching a sport, but in reality, we are watching a product of the entertainment industry.

Imagine the horror of the millions of Swifties tuning in and Kelce's half million new followers if the Chiefs got beat by Zach Wilson and the Jets. They may never watch again! :oops:
so you are buying into the narrative of a conspiracy theory and the outcomes are predetermined......enterntain us all with exactly how this multi billion dollar business gets away with it right under our noses like the WWE.....we we all hang up and listen....this :fishing: should be good....you hooked me....

Yes. Meanwhile the Bills were NFLs London experiment with the Jags waiting for 2 weeks. The NFL loves Arrowhead. Whenever the Chiefs are on prime time which is often 90% of the time they are home. Now add in Taylor Swift and that potential cash cow I don’t blame them.
sour grapes don't taste very good....#13seconds

so you are buying into the narrative of a conspiracy theory and the outcomes are predetermined......enterntain us all with exactly how this multi billion dollar business gets away with it right under our noses like the WWE.....we we all hang up and listen....this :fishing: should be good....you hooked me....
Yes. Exactly. Seeing where the NFL has been heading the past 5-10 years it doesn't even sound that crazy to me anymore.

Yes. Exactly. Seeing where the NFL has been heading the past 5-10 years it doesn't even sound that crazy to me anymore.
got it....150 refs are on the take.....

No. 150 refs are doing their job as instructed. Nobody is on the take.

so what then is the conspiracy theory you agreed there was and how are they implementing it....

so what then is the conspiracy theory you agreed there was and how are they implementing it....

I thought I was being clear in my initial response (#10).

#scripted

#scripted
i'll bite....how do they do that

Human brains are wired to see things we are expecting and miss things we are not expecting. That is science.

Refs don’t need to be on the take. If they are human they are going to make more judgemental calls FOR successful teams and more of these calls AGAINST teams that are expected to lose.

Reality is constructed by your brain
having flashbacks to the raiders thread where they swear the NFLL tells the refs to screw them as much as possible since the Al days.....and that they get more penalties and such cause they wear black uniforms and the refs subconscious takes over or some **** like that.....good times.... :lmao: :suds:

Human brains are wired to see things we are expecting and miss things we are not expecting. That is science.

Refs don’t need to be on the take. If they are human they are going to make more judgemental calls FOR successful teams and more of these calls AGAINST teams that are expected to lose.

Reality is constructed by your brain
having flashbacks to the raiders thread where they swear the NFLL tells the refs to screw them as much as possible since the Al days.....and that they get more penalties and such cause they wear black uniforms and the refs subconscious takes over or some **** like that.....good times.... :lmao: :suds:
"ROZELLE HATES AL DAVIS!"

Al Davis sued the league and won in court. The idea that the other owners did not hold a grudge is beyond ridiculous. Even worse Al somehow held a winning record against all of them for decades.

is it any coincidence the raiders never won again after the lawsuit? we can already see how the nfl owners treat people who step out of line, or who they deem bad for business in more recent times. dan snyder, gruden with his 10 year $100mil contract, kaepernick... etc.

I do think mark davis has been able to alleviate a lot of the old grudges held against his dad. mark is better on the business end for the other owners. he's making good money with the vegas move, doesn't ruffle feathers outside of the gruden deal.

#scripted
i'll bite....how do they do that

I don't think its as difficult as you make it out to be. And this coming from a Steelers fan that has benefitted from scripted games... did you see the PIT vs SEA Super Bowl.

Man, that game had a stench to it... but ratings soared as Coach Cowher wiped the tears of joy from his eyes after the final gun.

Out of the total of 121 NFL refs? User name checks out?

Gotta be honest. I thought it was a good no call. WR made a pathetic effort to get to the ball, which was thrown several yards to the inside with the defender in perfect position. Maybe coulda/shoulda been an illegal contact earlier in the route? Either way, refs make more egregious calls/misses every weekend IMHO.

That said, they should have flagged the helmet removal. I think they let it slide because they knew the no call was a tough one? But had they called it (and they should have) it would have been a dead ball post possession foul without much direct impact on the outcome

That said, they should have flagged the helmet removal. I think they let it slide because they knew the no call was a tough one? But had they called it (and they should have) it would have been a dead ball post possession foul without much direct impact on the outcome
The fact that it wasn't called is the issue, not the fact that the outcome likely doesn't change. I doubt anyone here actually thinks games are fixed or rigged or anything like that (I have a tin foil hat for anyone who does think that), but it's clear that officials go out of their way to help the superstar teams in certain sports, football included, and the Chiefs have gotten a lot of help the last few years, help they probably didn't need.

The fact that it wasn't called is the issue, not the fact that the outcome likely doesn't change. I doubt anyone here actually thinks games are fixed or rigged or anything like that (I have a tin foil hat for anyone who does think that), but it's clear that officials go out of their way to help the superstar teams in certain sports, football included, and the Chiefs have gotten a lot of help the last few years, help they probably didn't need.
see I guess this is the type of post that confuses me and wants to make me dig deeper into what was said.....one side of your mouth says no fixin or rigging or "anything like that"....then the other side turns right around later and says "they have gotten help, help they didn't need".....what exactly is this "help" you speak of.....because it surely implies something outside the scope of a fairly officiated game...

Out of the total of 121 NFL refs? User name checks out?
its been said its been happening for years so yeah the number is probably closer to 200 then the current 121 plus backups....

see I guess this is the type of post that confuses me and wants to make me dig deeper into what was said.....one side of your mouth says no fixin or rigging or "anything like that"....then the other side turns right around later and says "they have gotten help, help they didn't need".....what exactly is this "help" you speak of.....because it surely implies something outside the scope of a fairly officiated game...
Are you implying star NFL players don't benefit from a quick flag where other players may not get the call? Because it sure seemed like anytime a defender's hand grazed the top of Tom's helmet, a flag was thrown. Or if a defender fell anywhere into his lower body it drew a flag. Meanwhile, QBs like Vick could have their facemask grabbed or an obvious late hit would go unflagged.

Users who are viewing this thread