What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are the Chiefs getting the Michael Jordan treatment? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
They sure did against the Vikings. Not only did they not get flagged for an obvious PI, on the same play, the guy the penalty should have been called on takes off his helmet and all the refs do is tell him to put it back on instead of throwing the flag. It’s bad enough they shove Mahomes, Kelce, and Reid down my throat with State Farm commercials, now I have to watch teams play them and the refs too.

Last edited:
Seemed like it against the Jets.

I think everyone should be like Detroit in the first week. Not calling 40 instances of illegal formation/false start? Cool, got it, LFG. Oh you throw it in the last two minutes? Whatever, we were going to win anyway.

Bad calls in every game. You have to overcome it. There is adversity in the NFL and it is unending. Injuries, weather, weird bounces, perfectly healthy 23 year old tears every ligament, bad calls. It’s all part of the same test.

Doesn’t matter. Bitching doesn’t change anything. How you respond to adversity tells who you are. Don’t let it come down to laundry. Play so good it isn’t important.

They sure did against the Vikings. Not only did they not get flagged for an obvious PI, on the same play, the guy the penalty should have been called on takes off his helmet and all the refs do is tell him to put it back on instead of throwing the flag. It’s bad enough they shove Mahomes, Kelce, and Reid down my throat with State Farm commercials, now I have to watch teams play them and the refs too.
This reads kinda salty.

You know who we could do with less of?

Anything Mannings.

It's a conspiracy I tell ya

I think everyone should be like Detroit in the first week. Not calling 40 instances of illegal formation/false start? Cool, got it, LFG. Oh you throw it in the last two minutes? Whatever, we were going to win anyway.

Bad calls in every game. You have to overcome it. There is adversity in the NFL and it is unending. Injuries, weather, weird bounces, perfectly healthy 23 year old tears every ligament, bad calls. It’s all part of the same test.

Doesn’t matter. Bitching doesn’t change anything. How you respond to adversity tells who you are. Don’t let it come down to laundry. Play so good it isn’t important.
Chiefs are hard enough to beat without help. That’s all I’ll say on the matter. The MJ effect is on full display.

This reads kinda salty.

Anything Mannings.

I liked that

Are they great because they're getting all the calls or are they getting all the calls because they're great? I certainly felt like the Bucs had a lot more calls/non-calls go their way when they had Brady instead of Jameis. 100%.
No, they are great regardless. The problem is they’re hard enough to beat without the refs help. Michael Jordan was great regardless too, but he got the calls because he is Michael Jordan. Everyone is in love with the Chiefs, Mahomes, Kelce and Reid, including the refs.

This reads kinda salty.

Anything Mannings.

I liked that
I can see your point that especially now that KC has all the Swifties on board, Kelce and Mahomes might get the celeb treatment just to have the camera pan to Taylor in the booth.

But Reid as a celebrity? That gives middle aged plus portly guys with mustaches hope.

This reads kinda salty.

Anything Mannings.

I liked that
I can see your point that especially now that KC has all the Swifties on board, Kelce and Mahomes might get the celeb treatment just to have the camera pan to Taylor in the booth.

But Reid as a celebrity? That gives middle aged plus portly guys with mustaches hope.
He reminds me of Wilfred Brimley from the Natural.

Fully agree. I posted in another thread that I used to laugh off the "NFL is scripted" stuff that has been floating around (more-so the last couple of years). That Jets game though... the flag for holding on the DB that was not thrown (not even reached for) until well after the "infraction" when they saw the ball was intercepted? Bad look.

Then the pass-rusher being held on Mahomes' 22-yd scramble play. He was jumping up and down and tapping the o-lineman on the helmet to draw attention but no flags. Worse look.

I have to keep reminding myself that NFL is entertainment first and "sport" second. Helps to explain away the WWF of it all.

I don't know @JohnnyU but I sure do like those Wendy's commercials with Andy Reid running his little hubby fingers for Mahomes' nuggets
That's just Americana right there, makes me want to go buy a big Wendy's Double every time I see that commercial

Aren't we being a little hard on Mahomes and the Chiefs?

About that Jets game....

Mistake 1: The Chiefs had the ball deep in their own territory early in the second quarter when right tackle Jawaan Taylor was flagged for a facemask penalty in the end zone. That was a safety, and it gave the Jets their first points of the game. NBC Sports rules analyst Terry McAuley said the game officials got the call wrong. McAuley noted it would be a safety if Taylor first grabbed the facemask in the end zone. McAuley said that wasn’t the case as the penalty first occurred in the field of play.

Mistake 2: It was a 17-5 game later in the second quarter and the Jets had a first-and-15 play from Jets 46-yard line. New York quarterback Zach Wilson threw a 2-yard pass to Breece Hall, who was tackled by Derrick Nnadi. It was a nice play by Nnadi, but he was penalized for a horse-collar tackle. Once again, McAuley said the officials got the call wrong, noting this wasn’t a penalty. That drive resulted in a Jets touchdown

The Swift thing is annoying and yes there's a lot of commercial air time but I mean I get this whole narrative with the officiating angle just reads like jealousy from other fan bases...

Last edited:
It's really hard to get every call right.

As a Bears fan, this week I especially noticed two uncalled pass interferences that the refs missed, one late in the 2nd quarter on a pass to Mooney in the end zone (this was a 3rd down play and the Bears settled for a FG) and one in the 4th quarter on a 3rd & short pass to DJ Moore (the Bears then punted, giving Washington a chance to cut it to a one-score game). IIRC Terry McAulay chimed in on both that they should've been called penalties.

I don't think the refs hate the Bears or love the Commanders, that's just how it goes - making these calls in real-time is hard and there are going to be lots of mistakes over the course of the season.

only watched the PI once but from what i saw i would lean towards no PI although could go either way, the changing of the call a little iffy though

the telling the guy to put his helmet back on rather than a penalty i was like wtf just happened

This non-call on the Chiefs for a blatant hold might have cost the Jets a win.

This was one of the worst non calls I have seen in a long time.

only watched the PI once but from what i saw i would lean towards no PI although could go either way, the changing of the call a little iffy though

the telling the guy to put his helmet back on rather than a penalty i was like wtf just happened
I'm sure the refs would do the same thing if Mahomes got hit by a defensive end leading with the helmet, drilling him into the ground as hard as possible, and landing on top. "Hey, get off of him, you can't do that! Next time, I'm throwing a flag!"

Yeah, no skin in this but 11 was held for sure -- lineman looked gassed tho

It's really hard to get every call right.

As a Bears fan, this week I especially noticed two uncalled pass interferences that the refs missed, one late in the 2nd quarter on a pass to Mooney in the end zone (this was a 3rd down play and the Bears settled for a FG) and one in the 4th quarter on a 3rd & short pass to DJ Moore (the Bears then punted, giving Washington a chance to cut it to a one-score game). IIRC Terry McAulay chimed in on both that they should've been called penalties.

I don't think the refs hate the Bears or love the Commanders, that's just how it goes - making these calls in real-time is hard and there are going to be lots of mistakes over the course of the season.
This is the best post in this thread. It's hard to call games in real time and there's always something in ever game that each fanbase is going to point to. It's a no win rabbit hole to go down and is never gonna come across as anything other than salty tears

About that Jets game....

Mistake 1: The Chiefs had the ball deep in their own territory early in the second quarter when right tackle Jawaan Taylor was flagged for a facemask penalty in the end zone. That was a safety, and it gave the Jets their first points of the game. NBC Sports rules analyst Terry McAuley said the game officials got the call wrong. McAuley noted it would be a safety if Taylor first grabbed the facemask in the end zone. McAuley said that wasn’t the case as the penalty first occurred in the field of play.
Collinsworth said it occurred outside the end zone. McAuley said the twisting/violent jerking occurred in the end zone and was correct. Collinsworth redirected his description and got McAuley to agree with him... kinda... they joked about it.

About that Jets game....

Collinsworth said it occurred outside the end zone. McAuley said the twisting/violent jerking occurred in the end zone and was correct. Collinsworth redirected his description and got McAuley to agree with him... kinda... they joked about it.
Did the pull on the facemask begin outside the endzone (yes or no)? https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/facemask/#:~:text=Rule Summary View Official Rule&text=No player shall grasp and,opponent, it is a foul

I don't want to argue this because every game is going to have something both fanbases can point at...

This reads kinda salty.

Anything Mannings.

Yeah I was very much surprised today when a commercial came on and there wasn’t a single Manning it.

Getting? It's been going on since the 2019 season at least. The only game I can remember them not getting special treatment was the Super Bowl against the Bucs. Coincidently, the Bucs had Tom Brady. NFL had to make a choice.

About that Jets game....

Did the pull on the facemask begin outside the endzone (yes or no)? https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/facemask/#:~:text=Rule Summary View Official Rule&text=No player shall grasp and,opponent, it is a foul

I don't want to argue this because every game is going to have something both fanbases can point at...
I'm not arguing, and I'm not part of any fanbase. Just repeating what was broadcast and commenting on what I saw.

About that Jets game....

I'm not arguing, and I'm not part of any fanbase. Just repeating what was broadcast and commenting on what I saw.
And I asked you did the grabbing and twisting of the facemask begin outside the endzone? I'm asking because you're trying to claim the rules official mind was changed. Here's the rulebook on it again: https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/facemask/#:~:text=Rule Summary View Official Rule&text=No player shall grasp and,opponent, it is a foul

ZWK's post in this thread is the correct one. The only reason I'm pushing back on this is because it seems you're trying to feed into this special treatment narrative..

About that Jets game....

And I asked you did the grabbing and twisting of the facemask begin outside the endzone? I'm asking because you're trying to claim the rules official mind was changed. Here's the rulebook on it again: https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/facemask/#:~:text=Rule Summary View Official Rule&text=No player shall grasp and,opponent, it is a foul

ZWK's post in this thread is the correct one. The only reason I'm pushing back on this is because it seems you're trying to feed into this special treatment narrative..

Yeah, like I'm interested enough in this crap to read through the NFL playbook.

Moving along.

I don't know if the OP has any skin in the game or is actually salty, but anyone claiming certain teams (and/or players) don't get more calls go their way than others is insane. It's part of the game, and always has been. And it's not just football or even sports - it's in every aspect of daily living.

They're getting $1MM/day for Nike to use their likeness?
Not trying to pick on you, but what is with people saying $1MM? I see this all the time, why are there two M's in million? Curious if there is a reason for it or just a trend that has caught on. I'm used to $1K, $1M, $1B, $1T.

Not trying to pick on you, but what is with people saying $1MM? I see this all the time, why are there two M's in million? Curious if there is a reason for it or just a trend that has caught on. I'm used to $1K, $1M, $1B, $1T.
Roman numerals down?

I don't know, that's what I've seen mostly in my professional career across multiple jobs.

"They could call holding on every play if they wanted." -- John Madden, before the 1951 season.
It has felt pretty obvious to me that the NFL has a blatant initiative to call as few holding penalties on the offense as possible. Across the board.

Tons of eyes on the Chiefs right now. There are bad calls/non-calls in every single one of these games that impact the final score.

When you’re already that tough to beat the impact of a call that doesn’t go against them is just magnified.

I remember a few calls early in the Bucs/Chiefs Super Bowl that could have gone either way. They went in favor of Brady’s Bucs though. It happens.

Because 1M can be used for thousands maybe metric system origin
Hmm. In the metric system thousand is always kilo (k/K) in my experience. The only context I have ever seen M = 1000 is Roman numerals ... which are hardly ever used for any type of large numbers these days other than copyright dates.

Its a finance term..... M is 1000 in Roman numerals so finance institutions use MM for "thousand thousands"

Its a finance term..... M is 1000 in Roman numerals so finance institutions use MM for "thousand thousands"
Interesting. That's new to me!

Sorry guys, but using short notations for money has always been $1K (one thousand), $1M (one million), $1B (one billion). No one uses roman numerals for short notations for money that I know of.

Sorry guys, but using short notations for money has always been $1K (one thousand), $1M (one million), $1B (one billion). No one uses roman numerals for short notations for money that I know of.
Then you never had a bank statement with over $1MM on it. I didn't invent it.

I'll post one of the 1MM links ;)

ETA: It is slowly going away to how you represented it but its not uncommon for financials to still use MM

Last edited:
This is exactly how I felt, but they seem to be in the know, and I'm convinced it's a real thing, though it is probably antiquated and just seems nonsensical to me. (No one uses roman numerals for dollar amounts. No one says "I'll give you 32C for that car", or "The house is listed at 285M". Also if we're talking Roman numerals, MM already means 2000; why make up a new meaning?) But I get it, it's a legacy thing. When I read $7MM, I see "seven million million dollars" (7 trillion dollars).

About that Jets game....

Yeah, like I'm interested enough in this crap to read through the NFL playbook.

Moving along.
LOL. Ok, but the link takes you directly to a short summary as to how the NFL defines the facemask penalty. Here's the summary:

TWISTING, PULLING, OR TURNING THE FACEMASK

No player shall grasp and control, twist, turn, push, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction.

Note: If a player grasps an opponent’s facemask, he must immediately release it. If he does not immediately release it and controls his opponent, it is a foul.

Penalty: For twisting, turning, pushing, pulling, or controlling the mask: Loss of 15 yards. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down.

On that particular play, the player begins the grasping and pulling outside the end zone.

My only point is that this idea of special treatment is silly. There are plays in every single game that every fanbase can point to (either called or not called). The officiating crews need to try to be consistent but to point to calls as a reason for a win or loss is generally silly because there are things that happen throughout the game that negatively impact both teams in any given contest.

Then you never had a bank statement with over $1MM on it. I didn't invent it.

I'll post one of the 1MM links ;)

ETA: It is slowly going away to how you represented it but its not uncommon for financials to still use MM
No one ever says that though. It's ridiculous to say otherwise. This thread has gone into the toilet. That I do know.

Users who are viewing this thread