What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are the Chiefs getting the Michael Jordan treatment? (1 Viewer)

That said, they should have flagged the helmet removal. I think they let it slide because they knew the no call was a tough one? But had they called it (and they should have) it would have been a dead ball post possession foul without much direct impact on the outcome
The fact that it wasn't called is the issue, not the fact that the outcome likely doesn't change. I doubt anyone here actually thinks games are fixed or rigged or anything like that (I have a tin foil hat for anyone who does think that), but it's clear that officials go out of their way to help the superstar teams in certain sports, football included, and the Chiefs have gotten a lot of help the last few years, help they probably didn't need.
see I guess this is the type of post that confuses me and wants to make me dig deeper into what was said.....one side of your mouth says no fixin or rigging or "anything like that"....then the other side turns right around later and says "they have gotten help, help they didn't need".....what exactly is this "help" you speak of.....because it surely implies something outside the scope of a fairly officiated game...
Are you implying star NFL players don't benefit from a quick flag where other players may not get the call? Because it sure seemed like anytime a defender's hand grazed the top of Tom's helmet, a flag was thrown. Or if a defender fell anywhere into his lower body it drew a flag. Meanwhile, QBs like Vick could have their facemask grabbed or an obvious late hit would go unflagged.
not implying anything....simply wondering what help means....if it doesn't mean fixed, rigged, "or anything like that"....

every QB is in bubble wrap across the league...

That said, they should have flagged the helmet removal. I think they let it slide because they knew the no call was a tough one? But had they called it (and they should have) it would have been a dead ball post possession foul without much direct impact on the outcome
The fact that it wasn't called is the issue, not the fact that the outcome likely doesn't change. I doubt anyone here actually thinks games are fixed or rigged or anything like that (I have a tin foil hat for anyone who does think that), but it's clear that officials go out of their way to help the superstar teams in certain sports, football included, and the Chiefs have gotten a lot of help the last few years, help they probably didn't need.
see I guess this is the type of post that confuses me and wants to make me dig deeper into what was said.....one side of your mouth says no fixin or rigging or "anything like that"....then the other side turns right around later and says "they have gotten help, help they didn't need".....what exactly is this "help" you speak of.....because it surely implies something outside the scope of a fairly officiated game...
Are you implying star NFL players don't benefit from a quick flag where other players may not get the call? Because it sure seemed like anytime a defender's hand grazed the top of Tom's helmet, a flag was thrown. Or if a defender fell anywhere into his lower body it drew a flag. Meanwhile, QBs like Vick could have their facemask grabbed or an obvious late hit would go unflagged.
not implying anything....simply wondering what help means....if it doesn't mean fixed, rigged, "or anything like that"....

I could be wrong, but I don't think getting the "Jordan" treatment means the refs are rigging games, but there's certainly a level of preferential treatment given to stars and the popular teams. That's my point.

I could be wrong, but I don't think getting the "Jordan" treatment means the refs are rigging games, but there's certainly a level of preferential treatment given to stars and the popular teams. That's my point.
Yes, that is the point behind the "Jordan treatment". Not fixing games and that shouldn't even be in the discussion in this thread in my opinion.

sorry but preferential treatment basically implies and is another way of saying a level of cheating/fixing/rigging or affecting a game in a way outside of it being fairly officiated....it just is....you can come up with some other words if you want too....but the implication is the same no matter what words you use..

so since we will back track and not define "help"....what does "preferential treatment" mean and look like.....how is that being implemented

you are implying that that the refs and the league have a predetermined agenda and act on it....

this is the time where you probably shrug your shoulders and just say "nevermind, Ref, you just don't get it".....right?

but as was mentioned earlier, non Chiefs fans just want to fall in line behind the narrative of "we have to play the Chiefs and the league and refs too"....the OP said as much in first post...that I do get....cause most losing mentalities like to fall back on that one....happens in middle school, high school, college, etc...can't just be that they play better....has to be something else..

Yes, that is the point behind the "Jordan treatment". Not fixing games and that shouldn't even be in the discussion in this thread in my opinion.

"now I have to watch teams play them and the refs too".....

what exactly does that mean.....sounds like you are saying the refs are influencing the games in the Chiefs favor.... which I don't know about anybody else, but to me is kicking down the door of "fixing" ......

it's like you guys are saying the refs have a predetermined agenda to help or give preferential treatment to the Chiefs....but you don't want to fully commit to saying it's fixed or rigged.....thats the part thats hard to understand....cause you dance around it, but if you don't fully commit all it sounds like is crying and sour grapes...

what exactly does that mean.....sounds like you are saying the refs are influencing the games in the Chiefs favor.... which I don't know about anybody else, but to me is kicking down the door of "fixing" ......

it's like you guys are saying the refs have a predetermined agenda to help or give preferential treatment to the Chiefs....but you don't want to fully commit to saying it's fixed or rigged.....thats the part thats hard to understand....cause you dance around it, but if you don't fully commit all it sounds like is crying and sour grapes...
I don't think anything is fixed, but I do think the refs favor the superstar Chiefs if a situation arises in a critical situation. I don't know if that is intentional or subconsciously.

Remember Dante Hall and all of his PR/KR TD's? there was blocking in the back on damn near every one of those.

I'm guessing you are referring to that spectacular punt return at Arrowhead against Denver where he was pinned in at the 4 yard line and wala! 4 or 5 blocks in the back later he had that spectacular return.

I was at that game. Never heard Arrowhead louder before or since that moment. It was awesome.

I don't think anything is fixed, but I do think the refs favor the superstar Chiefs if a situation arises in a critical situation. I don't know if that is intentional or subconsciously.
I get it....it sucks to see them win....and come out on top consistently, over and over again.....and I think what bothers people the most is to see them snatch or solidify a win in the face of defeat....which seems to have happened a few times in high profile games recently....

13 seconds vs BUF....the late hit giving Butker a better chance to make a FG against CIN.....the holding call against PHI where the DB admitted he held in the SB ...

thing is in each one of those where it feels like the Chiefs "got the better end of the call"....it wasn't the better end of a call....BUF just flat out blew it....hit in CIN was definition of late hit....and even the guy that got the penalty in the SB admitted he did it.....

but for many.... all of that still some how turns into the narrative of Chiefs get all the calls and the refs help or give them preferential treatment....

it can't be they have one or two of the best players on the planet, they have a talented team, are well coached, know how to overcome adversity and have been in big games and know how to finish.....nah

oh....and then there's that they are also the 3rd most penalized team in the NFL in the Mahomes era....so there's that.....but that doesn't fit the narrative so disregard....

Last edited:

I get it....it sucks to see them win....and come out on top consistently, over and over again.....and I think what bothers people the most is to see them snatch or solidify a win in the face of defeat....which seems to have happened a few times in high profile games recently....

13 seconds vs BUF....the late hit giving Butker a better chance to make a FG against CIN.....the holding call against PHI where the DB admitted he held in the SB ...

thing is in each one of those where it feels like the Chiefs "got the better end of the call"....it wasn't the better end of a call....BUF just flat out blew it....hit in CIN was definition of late hit....and even the guy that got the penalty in the SB admitted he did it.....

but for many.... all of that still some how turns into the narrative of Chiefs get all the calls and the refs help or give them preferential treatment....

it can't be they have one or two of the best players on the planet, they have a talented team, are well coached, know how to overcome adversity and have been in big games and know how to finish.....nah

oh....and then there's that they are also the 3rd most penalized team in the NFL in the Mahomes era....so there's that.....but that doesn't fit the narrative so disregard....
That's fluff. If they get the calls in critical situations when they are very suspect, then that is my narrative. It seems to happen more often than not. Can you make an argument where it doesn't?

Oh NOW I see why you can't let this stuff drop. 🤣

If you are confused, that is on you.

I did not talk out of both sides of my mouth. Just because I said they got help doesn't mean it was intentional or league-orchestrated or anything like that, I get that you're a Chiefs fan and super defensive about this, and REALLY defensive about officials/referees in general, but it would help to read posts before spouting off nonsense like above.

That's fluff. If they get the calls in critical situations when they are very suspect, then that is my narrative. It seems to happen more often than not. Can you make an argument where it doesn't?
:lmao: you bet...and you should be very familiar with this one....or at least you should as a colts fan....you know which one I'm talking about don't you...?....

last year....."unsportsmanlike" call on Chris Jones at INDY..... for "smack talk" to Ryan after they sack him at Colts own 30 on 3rd down to force a punt with about 5:00 min left....that kept drive alive and led to late TD and one of KC's few loses last year....(admittedly KC played terrible).....but he was flagged for smack talk telling Ryan to "get his old *** up".....wasn't even an in your face butting helmets thing....they were like walking away from each other laughing...

good enough.....or does that not fit the narrative....?

I did not talk out of both sides of my mouth. Just because I said they got help doesn't mean it was intentional or league-orchestrated or anything like that, I get that you're a Chiefs fan and super defensive about this, and REALLY defensive about officials/referees in general, but it would help to read posts before spouting off nonsense like above.
you said you don't believe and have a tin foil hat for anyone that does believe that there is fixin/rigging/or anything like that....but then said officials go out of their way to help superstar teams (Chiefs) and they get a lot of help ......help they don't need....you tellin me that that isn't contradictory......c'mon man....what didn't I read.....you typed it....:lmao:

I didn't start the thread bro....the haters did....didn't know there was a drop it point....if there was why do you keep coming back after that.....but think we found it when the argument is lost and the sour grapes get called out....nothing left to say......just more crying and pouting....same ol stuff...

Absolutely. Can't think of one big call going against the Chiefs that cost them a game. Especially in the past 5 -10 years. They never commit holding or PI in bad spots. Almost every other team gets screwed at some point. But never new tom Brady aka Mahomes
Follow the script handed down from on high

Last edited:

I didn't start the thread bro....the haters did....didn't know there was a drop it point....if there was why do you keep coming back after that.....but think we found it when the argument is lost and the sour grapes get called out....nothing left to say......just more crying and pouting....same ol stuff...

There you go Homer... let it all out... this is awesome! :laugh:

Absolutely. Can't think of one big call going against the Chiefs that cost them a game. Especially in the past 5 -10 years. They never commit holding or PI in bad spots. Almost every other team gets screwed at some point. But never new tom Brady aka Mahomes
Follow the script handed down from on high
As someone who has watched Chiefs games for the last 45 years I can say with absolute fact this is not true.

I’m sure Stinkin’ Ref will come along shortly with specific examples.

you said you don't believe and have a tin foil hat for anyone that does believe that there is fixin/rigging/or anything like that....but then said officials go out of their way to help superstar teams (Chiefs) and they get a lot of help ......help they don't need....you tellin me that that isn't contradictory......c'mon man....what didn't I read.....you typed it....:lmao:
Apologies if nuance and details are above your head and cause you confusion. Once again, that is a "you" problem.

sorry but preferential treatment basically implies and is another way of saying a level of cheating/fixing/rigging or affecting a game in a way outside of it being fairly officiated....it just is....you can come up with some other words if you want too....but the implication is the same no matter what words you use..

so since we will back track and not define "help"....what does "preferential treatment" mean and look like.....how is that being implemented

you are implying that that the refs and the league have a predetermined agenda and act on it....

this is the time where you probably shrug your shoulders and just say "nevermind, Ref, you just don't get it".....right?

but as was mentioned earlier, non Chiefs fans just want to fall in line behind the narrative of "we have to play the Chiefs and the league and refs too"....the OP said as much in first post...that I do get....cause most losing mentalities like to fall back on that one....happens in middle school, high school, college, etc...can't just be that they play better....has to be something else..
What's I bolded is what's called a false dilemma. Don't really care much about this entire argument. But there is most definitely a difference between receiving preferential treatment and cheating/rigging games. You can "feel" like they are the same, free to have that opinion. But it's wrong. And in using that logical fallacy, the rest of your post is basically strawmanning an argument the OP never made. Your argument is grossly weakened when you do things like that, purposefully or not.

What's I bolded is what's called a false dilemma. Don't really care much about this entire argument. But there is most definitely a difference between receiving preferential treatment and cheating/rigging games. You can "feel" like they are the same, free to have that opinion. But it's wrong. And in using that logical fallacy, the rest of your post is basically strawmanning an argument the OP never made. Your argument is grossly weakened when you do things like that, purposefully or not.
call it whatever you want....I think I'll call it sour grapes dilemma syndrome....yeah that sounds good...

just checking.....are we good or did the league and the refs give the Chiefs this one too....asking for a friend....

officials "on the take" ....(which is what people are implying here)....is one of the oldest lamest most weak sauce excuses of all time....and the idea that 150 plus officials are being told to "make sure good things happen to the Chiefs" ...is crazy....
They're not being told to do that, but I think they get the critical calls that decide games because there is a definite love affair with the Chiefs, mainly Mahomes, Kelce / T Swift, Reid, State Farm Chiefs, Wendy's Chiefs, etc. etc. I think the refs are caught up in it and can't help themselves in critical situations.
wow....so you are making personality assessments on 150 plus officials who have worked there butts off to get to where they are at (best of the best)....and yet you feel they are so soft they "get caught up so easily" in things like that at the moment and can't help themselves like some crush filled teenager so they purposely make calls for the Chiefs.....got it....

would have rather you just stuck with the "they are on the take" argument......that might have more legs....now it's some weird love affair we assume they have that they can't control.....this just keeps getting better...... :lmao:
I read an interesting article a while back that studied home field advantage in soccer. They discovered that the primary advantage came from the refs being human, and they were more likely to make calls favoring the home team because applause was much better than boos.

I’m not sure if there is relevance here, but there could be a subtle influence that refs feel just from the fact of being humans.

officials "on the take" ....(which is what people are implying here)....is one of the oldest lamest most weak sauce excuses of all time....and the idea that 150 plus officials are being told to "make sure good things happen to the Chiefs" ...is crazy....
They're not being told to do that, but I think they get the critical calls that decide games because there is a definite love affair with the Chiefs, mainly Mahomes, Kelce / T Swift, Reid, State Farm Chiefs, Wendy's Chiefs, etc. etc. I think the refs are caught up in it and can't help themselves in critical situations.
wow....so you are making personality assessments on 150 plus officials who have worked there butts off to get to where they are at (best of the best)....and yet you feel they are so soft they "get caught up so easily" in things like that at the moment and can't help themselves like some crush filled teenager so they purposely make calls for the Chiefs.....got it....

would have rather you just stuck with the "they are on the take" argument......that might have more legs....now it's some weird love affair we assume they have that they can't control.....this just keeps getting better...... :lmao:
I read an interesting article a while back that studied home field advantage in soccer. They discovered that the primary advantage came from the refs being human, and they were more likely to make calls favoring the home team because applause was much better than boos.

I’m not sure if there is relevance here, but there could be a subtle influence that refs feel just from the fact of being humans.
Take a hike.

just checking.....are we good or did the league and the refs give the Chiefs this one too....asking for a friend....
I saw Denver get gift wrapped a TD on some bogus roughing the passer call late to make it a 1-score game.

My bigger question when are we going to admit the KC Defense and Spags is pretty damn good?
Is the KC D better than the KC Offense right now?

refs have been giving the chiefs preferential treatment for a long time. Frankly, I'm pleased neutral observers are starting to see it.
Indeed. How quickly people seem to have forgotten the weak holding call that basically handed the Super Bowl to the Chiefs last season.

It baffles me how much beef the Pats got that the Chiefs seem immune to. They get all the same calls, maybe more, than the Pats did during the prime Brady era.
nah.. Chiefs have been getting preferential calls for much longer than most people realize. Remember Dante Hall and all of his PR/KR TD's? there was blocking in the back on damn near every one of those. The Chiefs DB's are the grabbiest DB's in the league - never get called for ****. Lining up in the neutral zone? all the damn time. holding? Chief's OL has that down to a science.

This isn't new. I'm happy to see others catching on.
And we finally see a call go against KC, only to be met by alligator tears from the QB.

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

ETA: context

Reminds me of Week 1 when they lost on a national televised season opener. Andy Reid complained about the false start calls and they subsided.

Now he/Mahomes complains to plant a seed in the refs brains for rest of season.

Users who are viewing this thread