What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Arizona to host NFC championship game! (1 Viewer)

McNabb and Warner have been the best quarterbacks in the NFC playoffs, so these teams deserve to be here. I can't understand why anyone would feel cheated not seeing Eli or Jake toss pickles next week.

Got another pair on ticketmaster too. I'm considering selling my personal lower level seats for a premium then just watching from the nosebleeds.

We usually go to Cadillac Ranch down in West Gate before the game and then head over a little before game time. Buddy of mine knows the owner of it so we get hooked up pretty well. Gonna be a fun week here fellas
What's West Gate?
Just a plaza,within walkin distance of the stadium, with a few restaurants and such where, if you aren't tailgating, people go to eat and get revved up before the game

nice part is, whoever wins is the 1st 9 win team in a super bowl since the '79 rams, and only the 2nd ever!!

Also i don't think a team with a tie has ever made it

For those who are interested:

Local news is reporting that ticket master will have more tickets on sale on Tuesday at Noon. We are in MST zone.

For all the haters, it's just one year. What are the historical playoff winning% for teams with better regular season records? I bet there's a huge advantage.That said, AZ hosting the NFC championship is pretty sad.
Why? Beause you don't know anything about them.
No, because they closed the season with 4 losses in their last 6 games and got WAXED by Minnesota, New England, etc, etc.For someone who's impartial here, this is truly disgusting.. one of these teams is going to the super bowl, and they just played a large part of the season really poorly
Well who should be in then?NYG - lost to Clev and has lost 3 of 4 to end the season.Car - crushed at home by AZDallas - don't even go there.
... because one game upsets suck.
Dentist,While I respect your passion for this subject, I think you are absolutely wrong. You keep arguing that upsets are bad, and when the favored team loses it somehow hurts the integrity of the game. You have it completely backwards, and are an extreme minority opinion on this.The two most popular playoff tournements in our country's sporting events are the NFL postseason and the NCAA touney, which both have single elimination tournaments. Why do you think that is? Well, it is because almost every other person in our country loves the excitement of an underdog having a chance to make history. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way, becuase you are missing out on the true greatness of sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
For all the haters, it's just one year. What are the historical playoff winning% for teams with better regular season records? I bet there's a huge advantage.That said, AZ hosting the NFC championship is pretty sad.
Why? Beause you don't know anything about them.
No, because they closed the season with 4 losses in their last 6 games and got WAXED by Minnesota, New England, etc, etc.For someone who's impartial here, this is truly disgusting.. one of these teams is going to the super bowl, and they just played a large part of the season really poorly
Well who should be in then?NYG - lost to Clev and has lost 3 of 4 to end the season.Car - crushed at home by AZDallas - don't even go there.
... because one game upsets suck.
Dentist,While I respect your passion for this subject, I think you are absolutely wrong. You keep arguing that upsets are bad, and when the favored team loses it somehow hurts the integrity of the game. You have it completely backwards, and are an extreme minority opinion on this.The two most popular playoff tournements in our country's sporting events are the NFL postseason and the NCAA touney, which both have single elimination tournaments. Why do you think that is? Well, it is because almost every other person in our country loves the excitement of an underdog having a chance to make history. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way, becuase you are missing out on the true greatness of sport.
:mellow: All around.I personally have no horse in this race, but there is little that I would like to see more than the Cards winning it all. Talk about a team never to have come close.And all the talk about "worst champ of all time"...who cares? One champ ends up with the same hardware as another champ and the history books say the same thing.

nice part is, whoever wins is the 1st 9 win team in a super bowl since the '79 rams, and only the 2nd ever!!Also i don't think a team with a tie has ever made it
1967 Packers had both a tie and only nine wins. But the '79 Rams are the only seven loss team to ever make the SB. That team wasn't as bad as its record, though. The '70s Rams were always shuffling QBs but were a great team outside of the QB. They lost both their Pro Bowl corners for half the season that year, but had a good post-season run. They were always knocking on the door, but always ran into those great Vikings and Cowboys teams.

Dentist,

While I respect your passion for this subject, I think you are absolutely wrong. You keep arguing that upsets are bad, and when the favored team loses it somehow hurts the integrity of the game. You have it completely backwards, and are an extreme minority opinion on this.

The two most popular playoff tournements in our country's sporting events are the NFL postseason and the NCAA touney, which both have single elimination tournaments. Why do you think that is? Well, it is because almost every other person in our country loves the excitement of an underdog having a chance to make history. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way, becuase you are missing out on the true greatness of sport.
Agree to disagree.I'm not wrong because it's an opinion. It may not be popular, and many may not agree and that's fine.

We live in a society that finds a LOT of enjoyment and entertainment in bad news (CNN, MSNBC, local news, etc), celebrity scandels and hijinx (E! + numerous tabloids), etc, etc. People are entertained and can't turn their head from train wrecks.

Watching a sick upset is a tremendous disappointment for the team, coach, players that worked hard, etc. People find sick enjoyment in that.

Go watch Hoosiers or Rudy if you want to see the underdog succeed.

in real life I always feel pretty bad about a heavy favorite losing.

A lot of people are hurt by upsets... I know I'm sick of getting knocked out of poker tournaments by upset after upset.. look what happened to Tyson after some extreme variance knocked him out vs. Buster Douglas... his whole LIFE got ruined.

I'm not joining any amigos that are pulling for other amigos to fail.

You keep watching your trainwrecks and bad news networks.. I'll keep watching chess where the best man almost never loses.

Dentist,

While I respect your passion for this subject, I think you are absolutely wrong. You keep arguing that upsets are bad, and when the favored team loses it somehow hurts the integrity of the game. You have it completely backwards, and are an extreme minority opinion on this.

The two most popular playoff tournements in our country's sporting events are the NFL postseason and the NCAA touney, which both have single elimination tournaments. Why do you think that is? Well, it is because almost every other person in our country loves the excitement of an underdog having a chance to make history. I'm sorry you don't feel the same way, becuase you are missing out on the true greatness of sport.
Agree to disagree.I'm not wrong because it's an opinion. It may not be popular, and many may not agree and that's fine.

We live in a society that finds a LOT of enjoyment and entertainment in bad news (CNN, MSNBC, local news, etc), celebrity scandels and hijinx (E! + numerous tabloids), etc, etc. People are entertained and can't turn their head from train wrecks.

Watching a sick upset is a tremendous disappointment for the team, coach, players that worked hard, etc. People find sick enjoyment in that.

A lot of people are hurt by upsets... I know I'm sick of getting knocked out of poker tournaments by upset after upset.. look what happened to Tyson after some extreme variance knocked him out vs. Buster Douglas... his whole LIFE got ruined.

You keep watching your trainwrecks and bad news networks.. I'll keep watching chess where the best man almost never loses.
OK, I'll keep arguing this, because like I said, I like your passion. And it was just MY opinion that you were wrong, obviously you are entitled to think however you please.The problem with your analogy is that there is no good to come out of a trainwreck or bad news story, but in every upset there is a WINNER. A team or individual that beat the odds. You argue that this happens because of "variance" or "luck", and I'll argue it is because of heart, will, determination, and teamwork. That is what makes upsets exciting, not variance and luck. And that is why the NFL playoffs and the NCAA tourney are so freaking popular.

Do you really watch chess? I doubt it, because when the guy who is supposed to win almost never loses, it is BORING.

Dentist,

OK, I'll keep arguing this, because like I said, I like your passion. And it was just MY opinion that you were wrong, obviously you are entitled to think however you please.The problem with your analogy is that there is no good to come out of a trainwreck or bad news story, but in every upset there is a WINNER. A team or individual that beat the odds. You argue that this happens because of "variance" or "luck", and I'll argue it is because of heart, will, determination, and teamwork. That is what makes upsets exciting, not variance and luck. And that is why the NFL playoffs and the NCAA tourney are so freaking popular.

Do you really watch chess? I doubt it, because when the guy who is supposed to win almost never loses, it is BORING.
Some people enjoy the process, not just the result. Would you ever watch an NFL game twice?

Some people enjoy the process, not just the result. Would you ever watch an NFL game twice?
Only if it is an upset. :moneybag: I understand your point, and I get that the process is a compelling part of any competition. But my example was made to counter Dentist's theory that upsets are somehow bad for sports. BUt thanks for reminding me that I need to go back and rewatch the Deep Blue vs. Kasparov match that took place in 1996 when the the super computer upset the World Chess Champion. :thumbup:

Dentist,

What part of a helmet catch is heart, will or determination?have you ever been flat "lucky" in life? Sure you might be playing a game with passion and intensity.. but if people could REALLY cut the crap I bet you'd hear a lot of upset winners say that they were pretty darn lucky the day they won.. or were "running good".

The anatomy of many of the NCAA b-ball tourney updates is when the white 3-point shooter for the underdog team all of a sudden goes 7-9 from downtown when he'd been shooting 35% all year - you don't think there's a great deal of luck to "running good"?

The anatomy of many NFL upsets is when a variety of real game breaking things swing to the eventual winning team's way.. maybe it's a tipped pass that gets intercepted, or a punt that instead of going into the end-zone makes a miracle bounce and then gets downed on the 2 yard line, or a player on the favored team gets injured, or there's a huge pass interference call, or something.

Even if it's a real beat-down upset... there's just some days where you wake up and everything goes right for you, and wrong for your friend/spouse... well that describes what happened with Arizona vs. Carolina.. yes.. it was an absolute beat-down on the field... but that one event just doesn't prove to me that Arizona was better... after all the other time they met Carolina won.

let's break this down:

Giants 2007 - lucky

Arizona 2008 - lucky so far

Bears '85 - GREAT

49ers '89 - GREAT

Patriots 2001 - lucky

Patriots 2008 - GREAT, and unlucky

i'm sure you can add more in...

Dentist,

What part of a helmet catch is heart, will or determination?All of it, but you don't agree with that. That's ok.

have you ever been flat "lucky" in life? Sure you might be playing a game with passion and intensity.. but if people could REALLY cut the crap I bet you'd hear a lot of upset winners say that they were pretty darn lucky the day they won.. or were "running good".

I believe luck is when opportunity meets ability.

The anatomy of many of the NCAA b-ball tourney updates is when the white 3-point shooter for the underdog team all of a sudden goes 7-9 from downtown when he'd been shooting 35% all year - you don't think there's a great deal of luck to "running good"?

Opportunity meeting Ability

The anatomy of many NFL upsets is when a variety of real game breaking things swing to the eventual winning team's way.. maybe it's a tipped pass that gets intercepted, or a punt that instead of going into the end-zone makes a miracle bounce and then gets downed on the 2 yard line, or a player on the favored team gets injured, or there's a huge pass interference call, or something.

Even if it's a real beat-down upset... there's just some days where you wake up and everything goes right for you, and wrong for your friend/spouse... well that describes what happened with Arizona vs. Carolina.. yes.. it was an absolute beat-down on the field... but that one event just doesn't prove to me that Arizona was better... after all the other time they met Carolina won.

Still Opportunity meeting Ability

let's break this down:

Giants 2007 - lucky

Bears '85 - GREAT

49ers '89 - GREAT

Patriots 2001 - lucky

Whether or not opportunity comes from cosmic forces of fate, or it just plays out like it plays out, I have no idea. But either way it goes down it makes sports better. And that is my main point against your argument that "upsets are bad". They are not bad, they are exciting and inspirational because they are examples of teams or idividuals capitalizing on opportunity with their abilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dentist,

What part of a helmet catch is heart, will or determination?All of it, but you don't agree with that. That's ok.

have you ever been flat "lucky" in life? Sure you might be playing a game with passion and intensity.. but if people could REALLY cut the crap I bet you'd hear a lot of upset winners say that they were pretty darn lucky the day they won.. or were "running good".

let's break this down:

Giants 2007 - lucky

Bears '85 - GREAT

49ers '89 - GREAT

Patriots 2001 - lucky

Whether or not opportunity comes from cosmic forces of fate, or it just plays out like it plays out, I have no idea. But either way it goes down it makes sports better. And that is my main point against your argument that "upsets are bad". They are not bad, they are exciting and inspirational because they are examples of teams or idividuals capitalizing on opportunity with their abilities.
What if it's just the overdog playing like total crap?

surely you've witnessed games (pretty sure the Car vs. Arz. game was an example of this) where one team played so damn bad there was no other result than for the other team to win.

What's inspiring when a team plays so damn bad they just can't win and the other team is just lucky to be on the field with them that day?

Opportunity meeting ability happens.. but haven't you been on the basketball court and just for whatever reason started raining treys? it's not like you were doing anything different than usual.. it was just your day... you were running well.. and you played out of your mind and won a game... That's LUCK to me.

How about in poker... if I'm just blowing the deck up and getting premiums like mad... am I really playing better than usual that day, or just crushing the deck?

That helmet catch was luck to me... PURE LUCK.... and a lot of REALLY damn lucky things happen in team sporting events.

To dismiss this is completely naive.

Obviously not a Cardinals fanatic but excited about the home state team making the playoffs.

Talked to some friends after the Cardinals/Eagles won. Checked the interest level in going to the game. (I dont know a single Cardinals fan.) Everyone said too expensive and that they would just watch it on TV. I get a kick out of the excitement level of the tailgating experience. I decided, FINE, I will go by myself and at least tailgate in the GREEN lot and see if I can get into an NFC Championship game for $100.

I secured a GREEN parking pass today for $75. (Love the GREEN lot because you actually set-up on a football field just outside the stadium in the grass.) Going to roll three hours north on Sunday morning and be in line waiting for the Green lot to open around nine thirty. Taking a DIRECTV setup, my little red truck, a few beers, a grill, some brats, and some snacks. Ill wear the colors of the home state and decorate my truck with Cardinal flags and such.

Im going to take a $100 bill and wont go into the stadium unless my ticket costs me that or less.

What are my chances of being inside the stadium on Sunday???

If I dont make it in, I will just watch the game in the parking lot and hope that it ends in a huge aftergame party. I really believe however that by at least the end of the first quarter Big Ben will get me in the show.

(BTW, wife and the dudes at work think I'm crazy. What else am I going to do however? The Vikings are out yet another year and I might never get a chance again to see an NFC Championship game. I figure at the worst, it's a good people watching experience and a fun way to see what $100 can buy. Wish me luck even if you hate the idea.

Dentist,

let's break this down:

Giants 2007 - lucky

Bears '85 - GREAT

49ers '89 - GREAT

Patriots 2001 - lucky

What if it's just the overdog playing like total crap?

surely you've witnessed games (pretty sure the Car vs. Arz. game was an example of this) where one team played so damn bad there was no other result than for the other team to win.

What's inspiring when a team plays so damn bad they just can't win and the other team is just lucky to be on the field with them that day?

Opportunity meeting ability happens.. but haven't you been on the basketball court and just for whatever reason started raining treys? it's not like you were doing anything different than usual.. it was just your day... you were running well.. and you played out of your mind and won a game... That's LUCK to me.

How about in poker... if I'm just blowing the deck up and getting premiums like mad... am I really playing better than usual that day, or just crushing the deck?

That helmet catch was luck to me... PURE LUCK.... and a lot of REALLY damn lucky things happen in team sporting events.

To dismiss this is completely naive.
The ability to overcome luck is what separates good teams from great teams. NFL teams are so close in skill and talent level that it's the miniscule breaks (luck) that can make a difference between winning and losing. If the Pats were so much better than NY last year, they would have won. They were better, but not by a significant margin that luck shouldn't come into play. Same goes for AZ/CAR, NYG/PHI, and TEN/BAL. Luck happens, no doubt, but if you think you are so much better than your opponent, you should have not problem proving it on the field of play, and that's the bottom line. Great teams don't get upset, they finish strong.

Dentist,

dentist, up until that :e: thread i usually sided with you and/or thought you made good points... but now... :sigh:

Users who are viewing this thread