What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Arrival" the movie (1 Viewer)

While I think this is a really good film, I think people should temper their expectations a bit lest they come away disappointed. It definitely won't be for everyone particularly with respect to it's sometimes glacial pace. 
I'd agree with this.  I went in expecting to get my mind blown and came away feeling somewhat let down.  It's a good flick and I liked where it all led, but I doubt I'll revisit it.

i thought the pace was just right for what it was trying to do.  The direction and soundtrack were both aces.

if you read spoilers before seeing it, you won't have fun with it.  Go in cold and let it wash over you.

ultimately my issues with the film were the one dimensional portrayals of anyone that wasn't an academic.

Spoilers below if anyone is still reading the thread but hasn't seen the movie...

I went and saw this as part of a Arrival/Strange/Reacher triple-header on Saturday. (I like movies)

I thought it was very good. The whole understanding the language means your consciousness can float about in time was a little more Fi than Sci for me though. Maybe you can say she absorbed something in her solo trip to the craft that Ian didn't get though or something but I'm ok with suspending disbelief.

I can't seem to get the significance of the references to palindromes though. (Hannah)  Is there something that I'm not getting that starts and ends in the same place?  Someones life, memories, etc?

Spoilers below if anyone is still reading the thread but hasn't seen the movie...

I went and saw this as part of a Arrival/Strange/Reacher triple-header on Saturday. (I like movies)

I thought it was very good. The whole understanding the language means your consciousness can float about in time was a little more Fi than Sci for me though. Maybe you can say she absorbed something in her solo trip to the craft that Ian didn't get though or something but I'm ok with suspending disbelief.

I can't seem to get the significance of the references to palindromes though. (Hannah)  Is there something that I'm not getting that starts and ends in the same place?  Someones life, memories, etc?
Nice triple feature.  The Hannah thing has something to do with linear thinking.  She referenced writing a sentence from the left and the right at the same time.

Nice triple feature.  The Hannah thing has something to do with linear thinking.  She referenced writing a sentence from the left and the right at the same time.
I'm not sure how to put in a spoiler or if we need to anymore. So I'll just use codewords.

Time. Not. Linear. Alien. Language. Brain. New. Think. Adams. Non-linear. Time. Daughter.

:lmao:

saw it over the weekend, and thought it was fine. but I didn't feel the love that this is getting, and definitely not any of the "best ever" talk. shoot, if we're talking about sci fi movies with aliens from the last few years, I'd go with Edge of Tomorrow over this one.

maybe one reason I wasn't blown away is that I figured out the "twist" very early on. so from there I was just waiting to see how they would come around to revealing it. but even with that, I didn't feel like it was that revolutionary of a movie. 7/10, I guess. maybe 6.5.

I'm not sure how to put in a spoiler or if we need to anymore. So I'll just use codewords.

Time. Not. Linear. Alien. Language. Brain. New. Think. Adams. Non-linear. Time. Daughter.

:lmao:
Yeah, I figure if someone hasn't seen it by now they know what they're getting coming in here, but didn't want to completely spell it out.

I like what you did though :thumbup:

saw it over the weekend, and thought it was fine. but I didn't feel the love that this is getting, and definitely not any of the "best ever" talk. shoot, if we're talking about sci fi movies with aliens from the last few years, I'd go with Edge of Tomorrow over this one.

maybe one reason I wasn't blown away is that I figured out the "twist" very early on. so from there I was just waiting to see how they would come around to revealing it. but even with that, I didn't feel like it was that revolutionary of a movie. 7/10, I guess. maybe 6.5.
That stinks. You are much smarter than me. I didn't figure it out until - well, until they told me, basically. Kind of glad, though. I think it made the movie more enjoyable.

Edge of Tomorrow is in a league all its own. 

Ah, you're that guy.  ;)

I loved Edge of Tomorrow as well, but they are really not the same thing.  I do think that sometimes people go a little overboard with ratings or expect too much when they see that the critics are all about a movie.  For me it just feels rare to have a well done, smart sci-fi movie.  If that is something that people want and like, I think the hype may get a little too much out of hand.  Although I liked this one better, I had a similar reaction to Midnight Special earlier this year.  It's just refreshing to see those types of movies in the sea of superhero movies and reboots during the year is all. 

Yeah, I think even knowing there is a "twist" can lead to figuring things out. There were certainly enough hints. I'm really glad I saw this opening weekend knowing virtually nothing about the film other than what was in the trailers. 

not understanding the critique that this film is "forgettable". 

i took my whole family last night (including 4 kids from ages 11-25), and we've never seen a movie together that prompted so much discussion afterwards.

my take on the linguist's decision is that it was the right one, but that she should have discussed it with her husband first.

Yeah, I think even knowing there is a "twist" can lead to figuring things out. There were certainly enough hints. I'm really glad I saw this opening weekend knowing virtually nothing about the film other than what was in the trailers. 

not really a big twist to figure out, is it? They blatantly show the bird cage that the kid had drawn between the mom and dad in a flashforward. Loved it still

:thumbup:  

Gator, that was my first "whoa!, what's going on here?" moment, but at that point, was willing to consider it a weird coincidence.

I guess I'm too linear and put too much stock into the palindrome.  When she mentioned that her husband was a scientist I assumed it was Ian but the palindrome thing had me thinking that they were married and had the daughter before "THE ARRIVAL" and would end up back together with another kid or something.

ETA: I love twists (liked M Night back in the day) but at this point they can be so overdone. I usually figure things out but Lost got me big time with that trick too, that's still why I think that was one of my favorite episodes all time. "We have to go back Kate!"

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gator said:
not really a big twist to figure out, is it? They blatantly show the bird cage that the kid had drawn between the mom and dad in a flashforward. Loved it still

:thumbup:  
Right. As I said, there were certainly enough hints. 

Really enjoyed this movie. Personally I think the biggest plot hole is that our military would allow some podunk kid to stream the equivalent of Alex Jones's InfoWars at their top secret military base. 

Only thing I'm confused about.. Why did Louise wait to tell Ian about their daughter's fate? Couldn't she have just explained it all beforehand? Perhaps he would have made the same decision to proceed, but what purpose does it serve to hide it from him only to tell him anyway after she's born? I guess it's a free will vs determinism thing, or maybe I'm just missing something?? 

Really enjoyed this movie. Personally I think the biggest plot hole is that our military would allow some podunk kid to stream the equivalent of Alex Jones's InfoWars at their top secret military base. 

Only thing I'm confused about.. Why did Louise wait to tell Ian about their daughter's fate? Couldn't she have just explained it all beforehand? Perhaps he would have made the same decision to proceed, but what purpose does it serve to hide it from him only to tell him anyway after she's born? I guess it's a free will vs determinism thing, or maybe I'm just missing something?? 
I guess she did not want to risk it. 

I didn't think she told him after she was born but after her death with the cancer (incurable disease) and stuff. Maybe to love someone for only a small amount of time was worth more to her than it was to him. Also, maybe the fact that the child's pain waned on him more than on her. So, in that regard, it was a selfish move on her part but did she have choice or did she see her predetermined life in front of her and then embrace it? I need to see it again.

I didn't think she told him after she was born but after her death with the cancer (incurable disease) and stuff. Maybe to love someone for only a small amount of time was worth more to her than it was to him. Also, maybe the fact that the child's pain waned on him more than on her. So, in that regard, it was a selfish move on her part but did she have choice or did she see her predetermined life in front of her and then embrace it? I need to see it again.

She told him before their daughter got sick. There's a scene where she is explaining to their daughter why they split up after she mentioned that her dad acted differently toward her the prior weekend when he came over.

He finds out she is sick then leaves.............and SHE is selfish?   Not to mention it technically still hasn't happened yet.

Anyway, I kinda took it as she HAD to have the kid otherwise she would not have had the "memories" that helped her to communicate with the aliens.  Maybe I missed something, but I sorta took away that had she not gone through with the whole Ian and daughter thing that the world would not have united the way it did.  Hence her dilemma.

Last edited by a moderator:

Only thing I'm confused about.. Why did Louise wait to tell Ian about their daughter's fate?
First off :thumbdown:  

Second- I thought she chose not to tell him because that's how she lost him 'the first time'. I took the "i know why I lost my husband" as she knows he'll leave if he tells him.

I'm wondering how he got explosives onto the ship without his superiors knowing. I guess there were enough guys in on the plot.

Saw this over the weekend.  Thought it was going to be the greatest movie ever based on the initial FBG comments.  Solid movie overall.

It was said somewhere in the movie that as you learn a language, your brain rewires a little and you start to think a different way because of it - even dreaming in the new language,etc.. So since the alien language is the way it is, you started to think like they did as you learn it (I guess in a multi-dimensional way where time is not linear, hence they know they will need our help in 3000 years), so she started dreaming in the language and the future was bleeding into the present for her.

So did Costello learn to think linearly?  Is that the help they needed?

ghostguy123 said:
He finds out she is sick then leaves.............and SHE is selfish?   Not to mention it technically still hasn't happened yet.
It's not definitely stated that he left voluntarily.  Maybe she just told him the way things have to be

EYLive said:
I'm wondering how he got explosives onto the ship without his superiors knowing. I guess there were enough guys in on the plot.
Now I will say I thought both of those parts were dumb.  Military isn't allowing guys in a top secret area to surf the Internet 

If you go into a thread like this and read all the glowing reviews you deserve to be disappointed.

It was a movie without a lot of hype and those who saw it with no expectations, besides a rotten tomato score, were rewarded.

Saw this last week and then saw fantastic beasts last night. Honestly liked the beasts movie a lot more. Just thought this arrival movie could have been so much better

Just saw this solo and want to discuss, do we still need spoiler tags?  How do you do that on a phone?  

Re: the weapon and help needed in 3k years, I took this to mean that the change in consciousness was somehow required now so that we'd be here for them in 3k years - kind of like an inverse Terminator mission - otherwise why do this now?  Is the thought that by receiving this gift we'll reciprocate in 120 generations because we've been celebrating with 7 legged races every anniversary?  I feel like there's a global warming theme or something along those lines that gets into time travel paradoxes that the movie doesn't otherwise directly confront.  

I don't have any direct experience with the personal theme of the movie and found myself practically sobbing at the end.  Totally unexpectedly. 

Re: the weapon and help needed in 3k years, I took this to mean that the change in consciousness was somehow required now so that we'd be here for them in 3k years - kind of like an inverse Terminator mission - otherwise why do this now?  Is the thought that by receiving this gift we'll reciprocate in 120 generations because we've been celebrating with 7 legged races every anniversary?  I feel like there's a global warming theme or something along those lines that gets into time travel paradoxes that the movie doesn't otherwise directly confront.  

I don't have any direct experience with the personal theme of the movie and found myself practically sobbing at the end.  Totally unexpectedly. 
There was some indication that because of the gift, the nations of the world were somehow able to unite and achieve world peace, thus enabling us to exist for another 3K years when we would be in a position to help them. 

Users who are viewing this thread