What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ask Rob Rang Questions Here (1 Viewer)

A lot of discussion on this board involves the skill set of the top RBs and how they fit with the offensive philosophy they might be drafted into. Assuming Bush goes to Houston, where do you see the best fits for Williams, White and Maroney?

Oakland has done a poor job drafting in the last few years - especially on defense. Any reason to think that this trend will be reversed this year?

Here are some questions for Rob's chat tonight:

Quarterback

You have Eastern Washington's Erik Meyer as your 7th ranked QB and an early 2nd day selection; higher than other scouts. For those of us unfamiliar with Meyer, could you talk a bit about what skills he brings to the field?
Bowling Green's Omar Jacobs was wildly productive but seems to be getting a "system" label. Do you share those concerns and, if so, do you think he got some bad advice in deciding to come out early?Running Back

Three RBs who stock appears to be rising but aren't household names: Derrick Ross (Tarleton State), Quinton Ganther (Utah), and De'Arrius Howard (Arkansas)...could you give us a quick picture of these guys strengths and weaknesses?
Leon Washington had a subpar career at Florida State and his measurables were some of the least impressive in this year's class (8'9" broad, 32.5" vert, 1.62 second 10-yard); do you really see him coming off the board in the 3rd round as your projections suggest?Wide Receiver

You were very high on Jon Orr (Wisconsin) exiting the season, but he's now fallen down your rankings considerably. Is that more a reflection of Orr disappointing you in some way or to better align with where he's actually more likely to be drafted?
Which teams have given serious looks at Michael Robinson (PSU) and Brad Smith (Mizzou), and do you see them both as wide receivers at the NFL level?
Three Auburn receivers could be drafted: Devin Aromashodu, Ben Obomanu and Anthony Mix; how would you rate them all and which is likely to be first off the board?Tight End

This seems to be one of the deepest tight end classes in ages, how many TEs do you realistically see coming off the board in the first round?
After the Senior Bowl, it seemed Dom Byrd (USC) had overtaken Marcedes Lewis (UCLA) as the number two guy; but now it seems that Lewis has re-asserted himself. Do you agree and which do you think will be the better pro?
Vernon Davis has the best combine in the history of the position, superceding what Ben Watson delivered a few years ago. In your estimation, where does Vernon rank relative to other recent elite TE prospects (e.g., Shockey, Winslow, Heap, Crumpler).Offensive Line

Entering this college seasons, OT was considered one of the strongest positions in this year's draft, but inconsistent play and injuries curtailed some of that enthusiasm. How would you rate this OT class relative to the last five to ten years?
Of the smaller school prospects, which tackles project as the best pro prospects? Daryn Colledge (Boise State), Guy Whimper (ECU), Jhari Evans (Bloomsburg), Kevin Boothe (Cornell), Paul McQuistan (Weber State)?
With Winston Justice's (USC) killer Pro Day, is there any chance he falls out of the top 10 in your estimation?
Have concerns over Max Jean-Gilles' (Georgia) weight been enough to push him out of the late 1st, early 2nd round?
Of the interior linemen, do you expect Nick Mangold (Ohio State) or Davin Joseph to be the first off the board and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
What does Dallas' draft board look like at 18 in respect to the OLB prospects? 1. Wimbley 2. Lawson. 3. Carpenter, or another order? Lastly, and most importantly, why?

Which rookie RB do you see as haveing the biggest immediate fantasy impact at this time? The logical choice is Bush but I personally see Bush as being used similar to Chris Perry for a year or two at the least. Could you like rank the top 4 or 5 as to what you think thier immediate fantasy impact will be for us based on your projected mock draft?

Steelers questions :

1) If LenDale White falls to #32, do the Steelers take him?

2) How do you think Rodrique Wright would fare as a 3-4 end in Pittsburgh?

It could be that I'm paying closer attention this year than in the past, but it seems more and more front offices are emphasizing "intelligence and character" in what they look for in the draft. We've all heard about LenDale White, Marcus Vick, and some about Jimmy Williams.

Tell us about some players being downgraded over character concerns who we may not have heard about?

Who are some who could see an upgrade for strong character?

Hi Rob,

I enjoy reading your stuff over on Seahawks.net.

My question relates to CBs.

1. I have seen many different rankings of the CBs for this year's draft and with the Seahawks having the 31st pick and how there seems to be a nice crop of CBs, it seems like a great spot to grab one. I have read your mock from Fox Sports, but would like to know how you rank the CBs in this class, not only on athleticism, but also character (as Ruskell likes character).

2. You have predicted that the Hawks will take Richard Marshall in your Fox Sports mock. What other CBs can you envision the Hawks taking at #31?

Thanks.

Rob, Alex Gibbs' zone blocking schemes (as I understand it) historically run best with smaller, more agile offensive linemen. Considering that a few teams (Denver, Atlanta, Washington, Green Bay and Houston) utilize these schemes to at least some degree, which offensive linemen do you see being the best fits? TIA.

Hi Rob,

Do you ever see conflicts, in your work or others, between ranking players by their talent and NFL futures and ranking them by their projected draft order?

Thanks!

Rob,

Many experts think the San Diego Chargers will select a corner back with their first round pick at No. 19, probably Jonathan Joseph out of South Carolina. Considering his injury, is he a reach at No. 19 or are there better options available to San Diego at that position?

Hello Rob, thanks for being here to answer our questions. Mine are about my team, the Jags. First off, who do you see them taking in the first few rounds? With Del Rio's mentality I figure defense, but I'm not sure who falls to them that would fill their needs. Secondly, is there any chance there are any TE's that wouldn't be a reach with their higher picks? I see that as a GLARING need with the way the NFL is going these days with the stud TE (secondarily, are there any possible Stud prospects other than Davis?). And finally, have you heard any rumors, or seen any evidence of, the Jags attempting to trade up in the first? I would love to see them make a move for one of the studs if there was any possibility of that at all. Thank you for your time.

What direction do you think the Chargers will go in the draft? Various

published reports and mock drafts have them going WR or DB in the first

round, but in my opinion they are not as desperate at WR with Vincent

Jackson being developed. I would prefer to see them take the best DB or

OL available on the first day. Do you agree with my opinion that

they're mostly set, and can take best player available in most cases

once they address the DB and OL depth issues?

:hey:

The general consensus is that the Bears will be targetting a CB, TE and LB with their 1st 3 picks

What is the best projected combination that they could pick in the 1st 3 rounds for these positions?

For eg - are they better off taking a Marshall (CB) in 1st round followed by Klopfenstein at TE and a LB in 3rd round or are they better off taking a Pope (TE) in 1st round followed by a CB in 2nd etc

Can you list 3 potential combinations assuming they go CB first, TE first and OLB first round as the starting point for each of them?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Are the Lions going to draft a safety? If that is so is Kennoy Kennedy heading to the bench or is Terrence Holt?

Plus as mentioned above.... If Williams is found innocent (which he should) what are the chances of him being traded to Denver for a first day pick?

I have three questions:

First, I am of the opinion that Houston should NOT draft Reggie Bush. I know he is stellar, and I've seen that crazy video footage of him in high school. However, there is nothing wrong with the RBs that they already have, or with their WRs (with Moulds added) or David Carr. They need an offensive line in the worst way. Nobody can run behind that line. They should trade down and get draft picks and maybe even a proven veteran O-lineman. Okay so the question is, do you think they should trade down, and do you think there is any chance of them doing that?

The second question is, with the Jets acquiring Ramsey, and re-signing Penington, is there any chance they are looking to take Young or Lienart if either are there?

The last question has to do with the 2nd runner-up coming out of the USC backfield. I understand that Lendale White had a terrible combine. Where do you think that he will drop to, who has interest in him still, and will he end up being a steal?

Thanks,

-Ted

As a Dominic Rhodes owner in a keeper league, I'm highly interested in the Colts. I know the prevailing wisdom is that they're taking an RB in the first round. My question is what do you think their goals with the pick are? Are they looking for someone to come in and start? Do they view Rhodes as the starter and whomever they draft as someone who will start for them later this year or next year? Also, do you know of anyone specific they have their eye on, and if so, how good do they think he can be and how fast.

Thanks.
I like this post/question as it relates to Rhodes and the expectations from Indy's point of view. I understand how everyone wants to get Rob's ideas about their particular team, but IMO this issue has a greater impact on fantasy football than most for numerous reasons especially considering that the colts offense has been a consistent source for successful fantasy rosters.

As a Dominic Rhodes owner in a keeper league, I'm highly interested in the Colts.  I know the prevailing wisdom is that they're taking an RB in the first round.  My question is what do you think their goals with the pick are?  Are they looking for someone to come in and start? Do they view Rhodes as the starter and whomever they draft as someone who will start for them later this year or next year?  Also, do you know of anyone specific they have their eye on, and if so, how good do they think he can be and how fast.

Thanks.
My question is more basic: Is it a lock that the Colts will go RB in round 1? If so, I am trading Rhodes in my keeper league asap... I have a hunch they go defence with their first pick.
I think he touched on this issue in the Q&A session linked to in the first post here.

Rumors are rife with Denver trading their two 1st rounders (15 & 22) for Green Bays 5th.

Any validity to this?

If so, who are the Broncos trading up for?

On a related note, does TT trade Walker?

If so, to who & for what?

As a Dominic Rhodes owner in a keeper league, I'm highly interested in the Colts.  I know the prevailing wisdom is that they're taking an RB in the first round.  My question is what do you think their goals with the pick are?  Are they looking for someone to come in and start? Do they view Rhodes as the starter and whomever they draft as someone who will start for them later this year or next year?  Also, do you know of anyone specific they have their eye on, and if so, how good do they think he can be and how fast.

Thanks.
My question is more basic: Is it a lock that the Colts will go RB in round 1? If so, I am trading Rhodes in my keeper league asap... I have a hunch they go defence with their first pick.
I think he touched on this issue in the Q&A session linked to in the first post here.
thanks for the heads up! i guess my speedreading-at-lunchtime skills aren't what they used to be...

Thanks.
thanks for the heads up! i guess my speedreading-at-lunchtime skills aren't what they used to be...
np man. In case anyone else is interested:I believe the Colts will look to the draft to add some depth. In my current projection I have the Colts taking Laurence Maroney from Minnesota at pick #30. However, the Colts don't have to take a RB in the first round because of the depth of the position and the talent already on the team. Watch out for a Brian Calhoun or Maurice Drew in the second if not addressed in the first.

General question + a specific question

#1: Do any of the NFL teams have a reputation amongst the scouting community for weighing certain things more or less than other teams? If so, which teams have these tendencies and what are they? For example, which teams tend to weigh combine or ProDay performances and/or physical statistics more/less than other teams? Which teams rely more heavily on game film or senior bowl performances?

#2: Alan Zemaitis (PSU CB) seemed to be a top cb draft prospect during his senior year, but his performance at his ProDay was far from stellar and I haven't heard much draft day analysis with his name mentioned since then. How much do you foresee his Pro Day affecting his draft position?

Lions - there's a lot of talk about them drafting Michael Huff, but with their needs at QB, weakness on the offensive line, especially RT, and Marinelli's background as a DL coach, what are your thoughts on the Lions draft plans? In the 1st, and overall.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting: Please answer this question!!! Is there any chance Winston Justice will fall to them?

Rob,

Lots of questions from us long suffering Lions fans. The draft is our Superbowl.

If for some reason the TE Davis or QB Young fell to the Lions, do you see either of them being a big enough impact player to justify another first round offensive selection? Is there any defendable position Millen could make for choosing one of them over a player like M. Huff?

Thanks,

Jim In Michigan

Which players have most hurt or helped themselves (in terms of their draft appeal) in the offseason workouts?

With this years' draft apparently deep in the middle rounds, do you foresee more trading of picks on draft day or less? Do you think teams will be willing to wait for player(s) because so many are similar and thus not willing to part with picks to move up to get the guy they want...

Thanks.

How much does Rob feel the Ram;s poor drafting the last several years has hurt them, and what does he expect from them this year? What areas do they need to target?
Great question. Trung Candidate, Jacoby Shepheard, Lamar Gordon, and Lamar Gordon have not exactly lit the league up....Is Charlie Armey going to have a bigger role in drafting than he has in the last couple of years. And as an addition to the areas the Rams need to target, what do you think they will target with their 1st pick as well as the first day picks in particular....

Mr. Rang,

QB's

Which of the 3 top-ranked QB's in this draft class (Leinart, Young, Cutler) will have the most endurance and see the most action as a starter at the NFL level, in your opinion?

RB's

Which of the U.S.C. backs (Bush, White) has the most talent/potential to be a featured back in the NFL and see 20+ touches a game, regardless of which team drafts them, during his respective career?

WR's

Given the Terrell Owens/Eagles debacle last year, which rookie WR in this class do you think has the most character issues?

TE's

Are any of this year's TE propects likely to be the next Antonio Gates? If so, who and why?

All questions

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Here are some questions for Rob's chat tonight:

Defensive End

Mario Williams (NC State) is getting lip service from Houston as being "worthy" of the 1st overall pick. Do you agree? What are the biggest areas of concern with Williams?
Has Kamerion Wimbley (FSU) differentiated himself enough from the pack to say he'll definitely be the 2nd DE drafted?
If you were an NFL GM, and Mark Anderson (Alabama), Darryl Tapp (VaTech), Stanley McClover (Auburn), and Ray Edwards (Purdue) were all available, who would you take and why?Defensive Tackle

Haloti Ngata (Oregon) was double teamed as much as any defensive lineman in college last year, in your eyes does that further enhance his NFL draft stock (i.e., we know he can flourish despite being doubled) or is there some concern that he wasn't able to create more havoc in the backfield?
Claude Wroten has gotten more press than his LSU linemate Kyle Williams, but with Wroten's positive drug test and Williams performance in the last few months, isn't there a great chance Williams gets drafted higher than Wroten?
John McCargo (NC State), Rod Wright (Texas) and Orien Harris (Miami)...if you were a GM, which would you draft, and why?Cornerback

Some mock drafts have as many as eight to ten defensive backs coming off the board in round one, would you agree with that estimate and does that indicate this is one of the better DB classes in recent memory?
Would you consider Michael Huff (Texas) better suited at corner or safety in the NFL?
Jimmy Williams (VaTech) has the size and ability to dominate at the NFL level, but his ouster from the Gator Bowl and attitude seem to give pause, what have you heard about Williams' attitude and maturity as he's conducted interviews the last few months?
Teams always seem to be suckers for straightaway speed at the corner position, which of these speedsters would you say poses the biggest risk of being a reach on draft day: Tye Hill (Clemson), Joe Joseph (South Carolina), Kelly Jennings (Miami), Tim Jennings (Georgia)?Safety

Donte Whitner (Ohio State) seems to be considered a 1st round lock by many draft analysts (yourself included) yet isn't there the risk he was a byproduct of an astoundingly good supporting cast at OSU? Also, does he have the size to play SS in the NFL (listed at 5'10, 204 lbs.)?
Bernard Pollard (Purdue) seems a bit too slow and stiff to play safety in the NFL, are teams considering him at linebacker (like Thomas Davis a year ago)?Inside Linebacker

Abdul Hodge (Iowa) and D'Qwell Jackson (Maryland) are well known interior prospects, but who are one or two ILBs that could be drafted on Day 2 but still contribute early in their careers?
Last year Matt McCoy went from non-Combine invitee to Eagles 2nd round pick, are there any LB prospects making a similar meteoric rise as the workout season progresses?Outside Linebacker

Thomas Howard (UTEP) is a high character kid with great measurables, but some scouts say he's not the most instinctive player. Would you agree?
If you're on the clock and have to choose between Manny Lawson (NC State), Chad Greenway (Iowa) and DeMeco Ryans (Alabama), who do you select and why?

Woodrow, I think that you have to differentiate the 3-4 guys from the 4-3 guys. There are very few that appear good fits in either system.

For instance. Wimbley, appears to be a very good 3-4 OLB. But probably small for a 4-3. Lawson is a 3-4 OLB, but would not fit nearly in a 4-3 as either a LB or DE. DeMeco and Sims are much better suited for a 4-3. Carpenter and maybe Greenway are the only two guys who appear to me to fit in either scheme.

I think you need to make your lists accordingly.

Woodrow, I think that you have to differentiate the 3-4 guys from the 4-3 guys. There are very few that appear good fits in either system.

For instance. Wimbley, appears to be a very good 3-4 OLB. But probably small for a 4-3. Lawson is a 3-4 OLB, but would not fit nearly in a 4-3 as either a LB or DE. DeMeco and Sims are much better suited for a 4-3. Carpenter and maybe Greenway are the only two guys who appear to me to fit in either scheme.

I think you need to make your lists accordingly.
Hey Ridgelake,I hear what you're saying but the guys listed in my Qs are indicative of where Rob Rang has them listed on his NFL Draft Scout rankings. He's got Wimbley as the #2 ranked DE, he's got Lawson as an OLB, etc...

Woodrow

Since we are, after all, a fantasy football site, I thought I'd ask a question that ties in to what we debate here on a regular basis. Many fantasy footballers draft a lot of high profile rookies in search of the next big thing. However, over the past 5 years, very few skill position players drafted in the first round of the NFL draft have made a major fantasy impact. I often preach opportunity trumps talent for rookies, which is somewhat supported by the numbers.

Over the past 5 years:

- The only QB to rank in the Top 20 in his rookie season was Chris Weinke (ranked 19th, drafted at 4-11)

The top 6 rookie fantasy RBs in that time have been:

- Clinton Portis (ranked 4th, drafted at 2-19)

- LaDainian Tomlinson (ranked 7th, drafted at 1-5)

- Dominic Rhodes (ranked 11th, undrafted)

- Anthony Thomas (ranked 13th, drafted at 2-7)

- Dominick Davis (ranked 14th, drafted at 4-4)

- Marcel Shipp (ranked 21st, undrafted)

Only 2 WR have ranked in the Top 20 fantasy WR:

- Anquan Boldin (ranked 4th, drafted at 2-22)

- Michael Clayton (ranked 13th, drafted at 1-15)

Only 2 TE have ranked in the Top 10 fantasy TE:

- Jeremy Shockey (ranked 3rd, drafted at 1-14)

- Randy McMichael (ranked 9th, drafted at 4-16)

Basically, in the past 5 seasons, only one 1st round pick at RB, WR, and TE have had a major impact in fantasy circles (and none at QB).

So my question is two fold. 1) Are there any skill players in this draft that have so much talent that they will be able to step in and produce from day one no matter where they wind up? 2) Are there situations on certain teams that you can see as being an ideal situation for someone to be handed a starting spot and be successful (like Boldin in Arizona a few years ago)?

BTW - Great job on the "real" draft info and analysis and thanks for stopping by.

Do you see the Buc's maintaining our streak of not going D 1st round? Our obvious need is O line, and the draft is deep at that position. Drafting someone like McNeil is the obvious answer, but with the recent restructuring of Anthony Davis, acquiring Tucker, and getting Kenyatta back, is that enough?

Or, should we get younger on D, with say an Ernie Simms, Cromardie, or another guy that can learn behind the vets. How would the possible signing of Woodson shake things up? What are some wild card picks? TE, WR? Since there is no one need we must address in the 1st do you think they will stick to a best possible player philosophy?

Special Teams

1a. Which players' (WR, CB, RB) draft prospects do you feel are significantly improved by their punt and/or kickoff return abilities?

1b. Which teams might be looking in that direction in the draft?

2. Aside from whether they can kick the ball, is there anything else you look for when scouting kickers and punters?

2 Qs from threads here:

Will Marcus Vick be drafted? thoughts on him?

Thoughts on Gerald Riggs Jr?

Added Q:Riggs Jr. and Carpenter, are there any other father/son combos in this draft? Do you see Gibbs or Parcells drafting the son because of their father or is that a non-issue?

Michael Huff - I see him as the consensus #9 pick to Detroit. In a class so deep with DBs do you see him being a top 10 pick? Is the drop-off between Huff and the rest of the DBs that large?

Do you see the Buc's maintaining our streak of not going D 1st round? Our obvious need is O line, and the draft is deep at that position. Drafting someone like McNeil is the obvious answer, but with the recent restructuring of Anthony Davis, acquiring Tucker, and getting Kenyatta back, is that enough?

Or, should we get younger on D, with say an Ernie Simms, Cromardie, or another guy that can learn behind the vets. How would the possible signing of Woodson shake things up? What are some wild card picks? TE, WR? Since there is no one need we must address in the 1st do you think they will stick to a best possible player philosophy?
What have you heard of McNeil's back problem, and how will that affect his draft status?

If you could compare the Top 3-4 Rbs in this year's class to current or prior NFL RBs, who would it be? Not only in skill, but also as to what kind of stats they will put up in the coming years.

With the recent addition of Martin Grammatica to the Patriots as a K, is there a chance that the Patriots draft a K for competition in the 6th/7th round or would they be more willing to wait until after the draft to grab an undrafted K during free agency? Any idea who they would target if either scenario is the case?

What are the Texans plans for D. Davis and V. Morency. Two very good young backs. Are they destined to ride the pine and be in a part time roll. Both backs could start for many teams.

What does Green Bay do at 5th (?) overall to improve themselves NOW?

I feel like taking an o-lineman 5th overall is weird.

How do the Jets view Cedric Houston? Does he have a legit shot at the starting job or is viewed as a life long back up?

What is your opinion of Frank Gore and who do you feel is the starter on that team going into the season. Do you see a RBC in 'Frisco?

thanx for visiting, rob... always enjoy your insight into the maelstrom of ideas leading up to the draft...

1) rams homer, here... i'm guessing two players commonly linked to STL (vernon davis & huff) are off the board by #11... who do you see them taking (& if different, who would YOU take), & do you see trade down as likely scenario...

QB - cutler

DT - ngata/bunkley

DE - wimbley?

LB - sims, lawson, greenway, carpenter (maybe a reach but great fit at SLB)

CB - jimmy williams, cast of thousands :)

2) ernie sims has been rocketing up boards to point where he is supposedly could be #2 OLB for many teams after they are done stacking their board/s... concussion history is frequently cited... has he had a lot of concussions... should this be a big enough concern that teams will drop him down their board, is he an imminent risk of being one concussion away from retiring, or will it be more like polamalu situation where he went on to overcome history of concussions to be pro bowler twice in first three years... who would be comp player sims reminds you of...

3) DE - kiwanuka & hali have had their stock plummet since the season ended due to poor senior bowl in kiwi's case & awful pro day for hali... where do you see them drafted, how do you see their pro career unfolding (comp players?), & do you think sometimes tests are overly weighted by scouts at expense of their body of work (see lofa tatutpu in this context, who you were reportedly higher on than virtually all other scouts & draft experts)...

4) from different POV, is it fair to say scouts have already formed a fairly strong opinion of players abilities by having 2-3-4 years of game film to breakdown... if lendale white looked good becoming all time TD scorer at RB U, should scouts really be fearful he all of a sudden plays slow in the NFL... he sure looked like he had sufficient playing & functional speed (for a bettis-like power back) on game day... this isn't intended as a question about whether we can infer from his not running does he have character & immaturity questions, which he probably does... who do you see grabbing him (maybe DEN? :) )... BTW, if he HAD run a 40, what would you estimate it at (4.5-4.6?)... if he can put the questions behind him, does white have the movement skills & change of direction ability to be a star at he next level?

With the recent announcement of the 2006 Compensatory Selections, the Steelers have a total of ten selections in this year's draft with three 4th round picks and two 5th rounders. At the same time, the team's stability and lack of roster turnover this offseason should minimize the number of available roster spots going into training camp. Do you expect to see the Steelers try to package up some picks in order to move up in the early rounds of the draft? If so, what positions do you see them targeting in the early rounds?

Users who are viewing this thread