What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Attempting to Drive from RI to Kansas in 24 hours today (1 Viewer)

PIK95

Footballguy
My son and I are going to drive from RI to Kansas (New Century, KS) for futsal. Planning on leaving at 1pm today, a little worried about CT Beach traffic and NYC slowing us down. I haven't really planned a route, rest spots, or much of anything. Figured just rock the waze and go west. We booked a hotel for a Monday 3pm check in In Overlord Park area.

I will recharge the ez pass now. My AAA expired, I should probably sign back up. I think I have free Acura road side assistance with the new ride. My son is only 18 and doesn't have tons of unknown highway driving experience, so I may try to do it all. If I can find a flat easy four hour stretch to let him drive I can nap. I'm thinking Tennessee or Indiana depending on where we end up. I drove to STL and Memphis when URI hoop was in the tournament back in the 90's.

Can you sleep in the Mc'ds rest stops usually? They are always so busy and loud.

If anyone has any advice or anything it would be much appreciated. I'll update every time we get gas if I remember.

Last edited:
My son and I are going to drive from RI to Kansas (New Century, KS) for futsal. Planning on leaving at 1pm today, a little worried about CT Beach traffic and NYC slowing us down. I haven't really planned a route, rest spots, or much of anything. Figured just rock the waze and go west. We booked a hotel for a Monday 3pm check in In Overlord Park area.
This is where I live. (I assume you mean Overland Park. Though I consider myself the Overlord of the area). :lol:

Where is the tournament going to be?

I highly recommend finding audio that can engage your mind.

Download podcasts, comedy albums, books on tape, long form interviews, whatever.

I highly recommend finding audio that can engage your mind.

Download podcasts, comedy albums, books on tape, long form interviews, whatever.
It will be a battle with my son to keep the bass at an acceptable level, lol.

Put The Wall on shuffle for the whole trip.

Seriously though, drive safely and you’ll definitely be aggravated by traffic until you get well west of NYC.
Is there a GOOD time to drive by NYC? I may try for a north route to start and get to Cuomo bridge, then avoid Garden State parkway at all costs. That's how I see it anyway.

This is where I live. (I assume you mean Overland Park. Though I consider myself the Overlord of the area). :lol:

New Century Field House in New Century (551 New Century Pkwy, New Century, KS) Its actually tryouts for the national team to see who gets invited to France tournament. Should be interesting.

Seriously though, drive safely and you’ll definitely be aggravated by traffic until you get well west of NYC.
Is there a GOOD time to drive by NYC? I may try for a north route to start and get to Cuomo bridge, then avoid Garden State parkway at all costs. That's how I see it anyway.
I live about 10 miles from the Cuomo bridge. On a Sunday the approach across Westchester County may be rough. I’d try to stay north of the bridge but it might be heavy traffic everywhere. As you say, I would just follow Waze.

I live about 10 miles from the Cuomo bridge. On a Sunday the approach across Westchester County may be rough. I’d try to stay north of the bridge but it might be heavy traffic everywhere. As you say, I would just follow Waze.
What the bridge north of that? Is that better? Is that route 86? Thx

New Century Field House in New Century (551 New Century Pkwy, New Century, KS) Its actually tryouts for the national team to see who gets invited to France tournament. Should be interesting.
Good luck!

It’s the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge, but that’s going to take you too far out of the way north. You’re probably stuck with the Cuomo but Waze should at least give you the best approach.

It’s the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge, but that’s going to take you too far out of the way north. You’re probably stuck with the Cuomo but Waze should at least give you the best approach.
My route has me going over a Kingston Rhinecliff bridge? Then towards Cleveland.

Sarcasm? :sheldon:
No!

It's very quiet on the highways on Sunday. There's no rush hour around NYC today.

There's Jersey beach traffic on the turnpike in the evening. Don't be coming north from NJ from 6-9 pm, would be my advice.

I would have considered 146 to 90east thru Mass and NY down to Cleveland. Depending on where you started in RI, I assumed Providence. Just to avoid NYC at all costs. Nominally it is a longer trip, but you reduce the risk of massive traffic jams through CT and in/around NYC by a lot.

Good luck.

My route has me going over a Kingston Rhinecliff bridge? Then towards Cleveland.
If you’re going on US-90/80 via Cleveland, make sure you load up on gas before hitting NW Ohio.

I’m not familiar with that bridge, so it must be really having you avoid 95/the Cuomo Bridge. Let Waze be your master.

I’m not familiar with that bridge, so it must be really having you avoid 95/the Cuomo Bridge. Let Waze be your master.
It's up by the freakin Catskills, I just had to check. I had one map marker for a B+B I use up there for ski trips.

Don't worry about traffic up there buddy.

That is the Kansas of New York, so to speak.

Sarcasm? :sheldon:
No!

It's very quiet on the highways on Sunday. There's no rush hour around NYC today.

There's Jersey beach traffic on the turnpike in the evening. Don't be coming north from NJ from 6-9 pm, would be my advice.
There’s almost always traffic in and around NYC. Beach traffic is indeed particularly rough north from NJ during the summer.

I would have considered 146 to 90east thru Mass and NY down to Cleveland. Depending on where you started in RI, I assumed Providence. Just to avoid NYC at all costs. Nominally it is a longer trip, but you reduce the risk of massive traffic jams through CT and in/around NYC by a lot.

Good luck.
I was thinking 6 to 395 but yeah. Cranston

If you’re going on US-90/80 via Cleveland, make sure you load up on gas before hitting NW Ohio.
This is my biggest fear. We are taking the Acura instead of the Pilot for speed, but it has a pretty small tank.

Anyone have any advice if I need to crash in the car for a couple of hours. If everything stays true, I'm 13-14 hours until indy. I should probably power nap just before that if possible. It will be like 2-3am. Thoughts?

Would like to avoid the seven minute ab guy at a rest stop. Can you still sleep in Walmart lots? Seems scary fwiw.

Anyone have any advice if I need to crash in the car for a couple of hours. If everything stays true, I'm 13-14 hours until indy. I should probably power nap just before that if possible. It will be like 2-3am. Thoughts?

Would like to avoid the seven minute ab guy at a rest stop. Can you still sleep in Walmart lots? Seems scary fwiw.
Depending on which highway you’re on, there should be some rest stops that have bathroom facilities where you can park. I’ve done some power napping at some of these many a time.

A lot of times you will find rest areas that are parking only. If you want to power nap, I would be on the lookout for them. Usually only trucks that are pulling over for sleeping will stop at them so they are pretty quiet.

Most Walmarts allow overnight parking, if you want to be sure you can call ahead and ask them, they have a 1 night rule. Some have banned it because the van life/vagabond crowd took advantage of it and set up camp for days at a time. Truck stops usually allow it, and I believe Cracker Barrels do too. If you are concerned about safety just park near another RV or semi, safety in numbers. Walmart usually has a security patrol and good lighting. I have napped there outside of Denver, SLC, and Tucson on cross country drives and never had any issues other than it being hot as balls in Tucson.

One thing I learned from watching Cannonball videos is do not speed through Ohio, they make a living off of ticketing out of state plates.

I would definitely make sure your son drives a good chunk of the way. An 18 year old should be able to handle any interstate.

Also, I would try to time it so that you're not hitting St. Louis at rush hour. That city sucks to drive through IMO, but it's not so bad if you're off-peak. The whole final leg between STL and KC has more traffic (and truck traffic in particular) than you'd like.

I would definitely make sure your son drives a good chunk of the way. An 18 year old should be able to handle any interstate.

Also, I would try to time it so that you're not hitting St. Louis at rush hour. That city sucks to drive through IMO, but it's not so bad if you're off-peak. The whole final leg between STL and KC has more traffic (and truck traffic in particular) than you'd like.
I'm just afraid of him getting a ticket. We are practically driving a racecar, lol. RI plates are pretty low key at least.

Just loaded up EZ account, hope $100 for tolls is enough. Leaving in fifteen or so.

Side note, I blew a disc in my neck. So I am in agony if I do not take two ibu and a vicodin every four hours. I crash off pretty hard at the end of four hours. Curious if it will keep me awake, or make me more tired. Usually it goes me. And yes its a legal prescription.

I'm just afraid of him getting a ticket. We are practically driving a racecar, lol. RI plates are pretty low key at least.
Just don't let him watch any of these videos while you are driving:

yeah I might go up north through Buffalo/Rochester/Cleveland compared to the recommended route through Southern PA due to this. It’s not that much different in terms of time anyways, and you’ll miss that storm. It might be a fools errand to try and avoid bad weather entirely given that you’re covering half the county in 30 hours, but you already know this one is there.

Just loaded up EZ account, hope $100 for tolls is enough. Leaving in fifteen or so.

Side note, I blew a disc in my neck. So I am in agony if I do not take two ibu and a vicodin every four hours. I crash off pretty hard at the end of four hours. Curious if it will keep me awake, or make me more tired. Usually it goes me. And yes its a legal prescription.

avoid the Pine Barrens.

HTH

Sheesh man every subsequent post makes me more and more nervous for you, ha. Your son is 18, Interstate driving is as easy as it gets if you know how to use cruise control. Let him drive a bunch. When are tryouts? Will he have some time to rest up after you arrive?

Users who are viewing this thread