What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Attorney General Of PA: "If all the votes are added up in PA, Trump is going to lose." (1 Viewer)

Yes. My guess is my friend would have trusted the State of Pennsylvania. 

My guess is he also would have wondered if there was any truth to the accusations Trump made.

My friend is also smart and reasonable and not prone to drama and I'm guessing he would lean towards, "That's just Trump railing. Attorney Generals are serious lawyer types and I personally know the Attorney General in Tennessee and he'd never do anything partisan like Trump is suggesting". 

He likely thought something like, "Trump is saying we have to be careful and we have to watch. But he's probably just being dramatic".

Until the Attorney General for the State of Pennsylvania publicly proclaimed, "If all the votes are added up in PA, Trump is going to lose."

I'm fascinated by how this seems defensible. 
A quick Google search shows several partisan statements by the AG of TN, but since you know him personally, I won’t comment further.

No, it isn't.  Trump saying dumb stuff doesn't make it okay for other people to say dumb stuff.
I don't think I stated it made it ok for him to say it...I am talking about it being ok to discuss Trump in context of the discussion.

Trump or not...the guy should not have said it.

A quick Google search shows several partisan statements by the AG of TN, but since you know him personally, I won’t comment further.
Doesn't matter if I know him personally. Can you list the quotes? I'd be interested to see them. Are any on the level of this with questioning the outcome of the election?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't matter if I know him personally. Can you list the quotes? I'd be interested to see them. 
And by the way, I don’t necessarily think partisan statements by an AG are bad.  I just don’t think there are many AG’s out there that don’t have a political agenda. 

On Coney Barrett - 

https://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/news/2020/9/28/pr29-40.html

On impeachment - 

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2020/jan/22/tennessee-attorney-general-slatery-joins-gop-counterparts-slamming-democrats-impeachment-articles/513643/

I don’t know if you consider this partisan or not but it aligns with the Republican goals.  “Right now, Tennessee voters need a valid excuse to request a mail-in ballot. State law affords that opportunity to older voters, and those who are ill or disabled, among other groups. But Tennessee Attorney General Herbert Slatery has said fear of contracting the coronavirus isn't a valid excuse.”

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/gov-lee-repeats-unsubstantiated-president-trump-claim-linking-vote-by-mail-to-fraud

I don’t want to get into the weeds with this.  My point is simply that AG’s have perspectives that aren’t always unbiased.

Ummm pretty sure ive posted that the guy was dumb to say it.    But its hard to deny its relationship to Trump...of course his rhetoric will be discussed in comparison...and its a valid discussion.   
It’s always felt to be a valid discussion.  There will be no conversation with mentioning Trump.  I get it.  Trump is bad. I’ve talked about that ad nauseum.

Doesn't matter if I know him personally. Can you list the quotes? I'd be interested to see them. Are any on the level of this with questioning the outcome of the election?
Who is questioning the outcome of the election? Shapiro is fighting in court to prevent votes from being thrown out. His statement is poorly written but it’s not like he’s yelling the election is rigged and there’s rampant voter fraud.

Who is questioning the outcome of the election? Shapiro is fighting in court to prevent votes from being thrown out. His statement is poorly written but it’s not like he’s yelling the election is rigged and there’s rampant voter fraud.

Correct. Sorry. The opposite actually is what I meant: Did Slatery have anything on the level of proclaiming the results of the election three days prior to the election?

Correct. Sorry. The opposite actually is what I meant: Did Slatery have anything on the level of proclaiming the results of the election three days prior to the election?
How could the PA AG possibly proclaim the results of an election three days prior to a single vote being counted? Obviously that is not what he did.

I don’t want to get into the weeds with this.  My point is simply that AG’s have perspectives that aren’t always unbiased.
Fair point. I am sure you're right on this as they often will have a "side". 

I should have said I don't think Slatery would ever say something as partisan as "If all the votes in TN are counted, Biden will lose" three days before the election.

How could he possibly proclaim the results of an election three days prior to a single vote being counted? Obviously that is not what he did.
Yeah, I think what he said and how it's being interpreted  is where the disconnect is for some.

I don't think he's proclaiming the results. I think he's predicting the results (based on publicly available polling). There's a difference. 

Still shouldn't have been said, but that's a big difference and maybe why some are seeing it as significantly worse. 

Gee wiz, one state AG out of 50 said something not so great three days before an election in a state where votes aren't even begun to be counted until 7am on election day. Whoopie!

Compared to the leader of this country saying things 20x worse, daily, for weeks leading up to said election I'd say it doesn't register one bit on the outrage-o-meter. Not. One. Bit.

eta: The PA AG will be proven to have speculated correctly.

Ummm pretty sure ive posted that the guy was dumb to say it.    But its hard to deny its relationship to Trump...of course his rhetoric will be discussed in comparison...and its a valid discussion.   
Fair enough if you agree it was dumb for the guy to say.  I'm aggravated that this has devolved into Trump, Trump, Trump--as I'm just exhausted at this being the Trump sub forum rather than discussion of much else.  

None of this is meant to be a shot at you, though I realize I probably seem like a jerk in some of this.  

Sincerely nothing but respect, brother.

Yeah, I think what he said and how it's being interpreted as is where the disconnect is for some.

I don't think he's proclaiming the results. I think he's predicting the results (based on publicly available polling). There's a difference. 

Still shouldn't have been said, but that's a big difference and maybe why some are seeing it as significantly worse. 
IMO, if you consider the whole tweet, it's pretty clear that his goal is to comment on Trump's motives for trying to stop the votes being counted, not to somehow influence the election or pronounce it a fait accompli.  He would have been smart to include a qualifier or two in there somewhere, but there's nothing particularly outrageous about what he said when the entire context is considered.  The way to be outraged is to pretend it's a stand-alone soundbite rather than a clumsy part of a larger ongoing rebuttal to the irresponsible, inflammatory crap the president has been spewing.  

Fair enough if you agree it was dumb for the guy to say.  I'm aggravated that this has devolved into Trump, Trump, Trump--as I'm just exhausted at this being the Trump sub forum rather than discussion of much else.  

None of this is meant to be a shot at you, though I realize I probably seem like a jerk in some of this.  

Sincerely nothing but respect, brother.
Same to you...keep posting as a solid voice of opposition and voice of reason.  I may not always agree with you, but you speak your mind without letting the jerk come out.  I can't always say the same for myself.

And for some levity...

Plane flying over Philly...Trump loves Jerry Jones and the Cowboys

Fair point. I am sure you're right on this as they often will have a "side". 

I should have said I don't think Slatery would ever say something as partisan as "If all the votes in TN are counted, Biden will lose" three days before the election.
I don't think he would get near the criticism for saying this in a state like TN.  Everyone already knows the outcome so what Slatery is saying is almost fact.  I don't think he would take a lot of heat.  It would be the same for a NY AG or California AG.

However, it does sound divisive when you say it in a swing state.  

A lesson in proper election messaging from the Republican Governor of Arizona in response to the FoxNews and AP early call of Arizona going to Biden:

https://twitter.com/dougducey/status/1323900711139123200?s=20
I'll admit that, while I trust AP, it seems really premature for them to call the state.  So, unless there's something about what's left, while I'm sure it will remain with Biden, I don't think it's a 100% given just yet.  It would be nice if they updated their numbers.

I'll admit that, while I trust AP, it seems really premature for them to call the state.  So, unless there's something about what's left, while I'm sure it will remain with Biden, I don't think it's a 100% given just yet.  It would be nice if they updated their numbers.
Understood.  My point in posting it here had more to do with my being impressed by the Governor's response than with the early call.

Some other good messaging came from Biden this afternoon, “I’m not here to declare that we’ve won, but I am here to report that when the count is finished, we believe we will be the winners.”

To avoid an appearance of being uncool, I'll refrain from citing examples of Trump's messaging in the past 24 hours.  

Shapiro has been on several times and was in no way partisan, he slipped up hasn’t appeared to make the same mistake again.

Shapiro has been on several times and was in no way partisan, he slipped up hasn’t appeared to make the same mistake again.
He admitted to making a political statement in a political climate in his interview.  Again, I don't know how ethical/unethical that is given his position, but it seems he intended to say what he said. 

gianmarco said:
He admitted to making a political statement in a political climate in his interview.  Again, I don't know how ethical/unethical that is given his position, but it seems he intended to say what he said
And there is nothing wrong with that. As I posted earlier, he'll be proven correct in his speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread