What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Avoid Mike Wallace, the Raven? (1 Viewer)

Why I drafted this guy and Ivory when everyone else was reading the tea leaves is beyond me. Just...stupid.

The play over the middle may defines his season up until now. Minimal effort, minimal result.
Don't overlook the bomb that went right through his hands and brushed his jersey between the numbers. Could Tannehill have placed it any better if he was standing next to him?
This

Why I drafted this guy and Ivory when everyone else was reading the tea leaves is beyond me. Just...stupid.

The play over the middle may defines his season up until now. Minimal effort, minimal result.
Don't overlook the bomb that went right through his hands and brushed his jersey between the numbers. Could Tannehill have placed it any better if he was standing next to him?
Oh, drops and route-running make one wince, but a total lack of effort and a QB that doesn't even like your effort and attitude? That just kills me that I drafted all of that in a bundle.

Wallace just made a nice tackle on an interception. Hopefully he gets a point for that.
He should get at least double points for the INT. If it weren't for him quitting on the route there wouldn't have even been an INT in the first place. Nice $11mil reach for the ball once he stopped running though. I wonder how much they need to pay him to get him to keep running into possible contact.
$30 mil guaranteed. He does open up the middle a little, even if he doesn't catch the ball. I'd just keep throwing him bombs on early downs to tire out the CBs and safeties. Then put in Hartline, Gibson and Matthews when you need a first down.

Dude has bad hands and loses focus...and that is mainly why Pittsburgh saw no reason to pay him what the Dolphins did. In some ways, it's similar to the concerns I have about Trent Richardson. If the player is so darn good, why did the team that sees him everyday in practice for months or even years suddenly trade him/let him go?

Sometimes a guy isn't as good as his hype...or his old stat lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude has bad hands and loses focus...and that is mainly why Pittsburgh saw no reason to pay him what the Dolphins did. In some ways, it's similar to the concerns I have about Trent Richardson. If the player is so darn good, why did the team that sees him everyday in practice for months or even years suddenly trade him/let him go?

You are super good at authoritatively stating incorrect facts.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1521798-why-miami-dolphins-must-make-a-run-at-mike-wallace

According to ProFootballFocus.com, Wallace has dropped 11 passes on a total of 150 catchable passes in the past two seasons for a drop rate of 7.3 percent. That is significantly lower than the league average of 9.6 percent (for receivers with over 25 percent of their team's targets) over the past two seasons.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1521798-why-miami-dolphins-must-make-a-run-at-mike-wallace

According to ProFootballFocus.com, Wallace has dropped 11 passes on a total of 150 catchable passes in the past two seasons for a drop rate of 7.3 percent. That is significantly lower than the league average of 9.6 percent (for receivers with over 25 percent of their team's targets) over the past two seasons.
But of course, use drop stats (from 2 years ago) to make your point.

3 things:

1) Drop stats are questionable at best. For example:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

Clearly states (to your support) that Wallace has 0 drops. Except that in Rotoworld's and CBS' description of this past Sunday's game, they both make mention of 2 drops for Wallace:

"Wallace was targeted seven times. He could have had a much bigger night if he hadn't let an early deep ball sneak through his hands. Wallace also dropped another pass later in the second half."

2) Catch % and drop rates change and can vary greatly over time - especially as players change teams/QBs.

3) The very article you link even discusses that "Wallace does not excel when catching in traffic..." (you must have missed that part)

Wallace is very fast - and is great when he's open on a go route. But he's Randy Moss with less talent and less heart. The second a defender so much as breathes on him hard, he gets butterfingers. His catch rate is 57th in the league among WRs (http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?year=2013&pos=WR&season=reg) - that isn't exactly good - especially when he is being targeted deep less than 20% of the time.

Now you could make the argument that Miami is using him poorly - making him catch the ball in traffic by using him on intermediate routes and not using him deep often enough. But the fact that he has been fairly ineffective this season (or, more accurately - a complete bust in 3 of the 4 games so far), is easy to see. Outside of the Indy game he has caught 6 of 18 targets. That's not what I would consider "good hands" whether or not ProFootballFocus called them drops or not.

Is Tannehill always right on the money? No - he aint Big Ben. But Wallace has dropped or "not caught" several passes that other WRs could have.

:goodposting:

Anyone who has actually watched Mike play over the years knows that his hands and concentration are certainly not a positive. He's not DHB-level brutal, but it's not a strength, particularly in traffic.

That said, if you have him, I'd let it ride and continue to trot him out there in your WR3 or flex. You knew he was a boom / bust deep threat going in (or should have, anyway) -- the two catch clunkers are the price you have to pay for the ability to win you a game single-handedly with an 80 yard TD bomb or two. Plus you know he'll definitely go for 160-2 the week you bench him LOL.

Dont know who has been a bigger let down for me, Wallace, Spiller, Bowe, Shorts, CJ2k, Wallace is near the top just under Spiller

But of course, use drop stats (from 2 years ago) to make your point.

3 things:

1) Drop stats are questionable at best. For example:

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

Clearly states (to your support) that Wallace has 0 drops. Except that in Rotoworld's and CBS' description of this past Sunday's game, they both make mention of 2 drops for Wallace:

"Wallace was targeted seven times. He could have had a much bigger night if he hadn't let an early deep ball sneak through his hands. Wallace also dropped another pass later in the second half."

2) Catch % and drop rates change and can vary greatly over time - especially as players change teams/QBs.

3) The very article you link even discusses that "Wallace does not excel when catching in traffic..." (you must have missed that part)

Wallace is very fast - and is great when he's open on a go route. But he's Randy Moss with less talent and less heart. The second a defender so much as breathes on him hard, he gets butterfingers. His catch rate is 57th in the league among WRs (http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?year=2013&pos=WR&season=reg) - that isn't exactly good - especially when he is being targeted deep less than 20% of the time.

Now you could make the argument that Miami is using him poorly - making him catch the ball in traffic by using him on intermediate routes and not using him deep often enough. But the fact that he has been fairly ineffective this season (or, more accurately - a complete bust in 3 of the 4 games so far), is easy to see. Outside of the Indy game he has caught 6 of 18 targets. That's not what I would consider "good hands" whether or not ProFootballFocus called them drops or not.

Is Tannehill always right on the money? No - he aint Big Ben. But Wallace has dropped or "not caught" several passes that other WRs could have.
I did not use drop stats from 2 years ago to ignore more recent stats. The drop stat was from his last two years in the league - 2011 and 2012. I would think his most recent seasons would be most pertinent to the discussion, no?

1) Don't use sportingcharts.com - their numbers are wonky. I agree with you that he's got to have at least 1 drop credited to him this year if not more.

2) Catch % is strongly correlated with target distance and QB completion rate. Given Wallace's previous usage primarily as a deep target, his catch rate in PIt was actually very impressive.

Drop % does vary a lot due to just a couple drops making a pretty large statistical difference since we're only dividing by catchable targets and not total targets, but if you use 2-3 years, things should average out. In my opinion, Wallace's 2 year drop rate disqualifies him from being a guy who drops the ball a lot and actually points to him being a rather reliable pass catcher.

3) I saw that part, but I only really focused on the PFF reference since Bleacher Report is pretty much garbage in and of itself. I don't have a PFF account, but the important PFF reference was quoted within the Bleacher Report article. Either way, if he does or does not catch the ball well in traffic does not mean he has bad hands. That could be because he's unable to shed defenders near the LoS or work his way through defenders. He doesn't exactly have an Andre Johnson or Anquan Boldin build.

As for you Tannehill assertion, there you go again stating your baseless opinion authoritatively. Tannehilll was actually the 7th most accurate deep passer in the league last year as a rookie. I've been very impressed with him thus far this year (watch his TD pass to Hartline in week 1 - a thing of beauty). I don't have the article so feel free to take it with a grain of salt, but I recall reading that Big Ben's deep accuracy has been decreasing in the past several years. He's not old so I assume this has to do with his diminishing offensive line, but either way, I think Tannehill could be an improvement for Wallace. It's just a matter of getting Tannehill's trust and actually catching the ball. I suspect both things will come with time since he's not a historical pass dropper.

When the Dolphins signed Mike Wallace to the biggest contract in their team history -- $60 million over five years -- they bargained for a deep threat receiver who would blow the top off defenses with regularity.It is something Wallace did often with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But as the first quarter of this season is over and those big plays have not happened, Wallace is now concerned.

"I'm definitely worried about it because it's game four," Wallace said Wednesday. "I'm not paranoid or anything but in Week Four it's not the way I imagined my first four weeks going. Definitely not. I'm pretty sure it's not the way anybody imagined it going. So for myself, and starting with myself, [quarterback] Ryan [Tannehill] and coaches, we all got to do a better job and find a way to make it work."

This is not to suggest Wallace being on the Dolphins isn't working. He's caught 15 passes for 176 yards and one touchdown. But his longest play was 34 yards and his 11.7 yard per catch average is well below the 17.2 yard per catch average he had before he arrived in Miami.

"I got to make big plays," Wallace said. "That's my main thing. I've been used to making big plays. And I definitely, definitely can make big plays. That's what I do. That's why I came here. That's why they signed me. It just hasn't happened so far for one reason or another."

Wallace is proven after four NFL seasons. He works hard. The talent vampire didn't suddenly drain him of his skills in the time since he left the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But the Dolphins' system doesn't seem to be a fit and his chemistry with Tannehill isn't the best. Indeed, Tannehill seems much more comfortable throwing the football to Brian Hartline and even Brandon Gibson, who also came to Miami in the offseason.

No one outside the Dolphins knows why that is. And if the Dolphins know why, they're not saying. But this much is clear, the current trend is not acceptable for Wallace.

"I know one thing, we not going to be able to go through a whole year like that," he said. "We have to make big plays. We have to back defenses up. That's what we have to do. Extra film work, different plays, whatever it is, whatever it's going to take, we have to get it done. We have to make big plays."

This current big-play drought doesn't mean Wallace is suffering from a sudden lack of confidence. He doesn't lack for that at all.

"I know I can do it," Wallace said.

But how fast it's done is now important for him as it should be for the Dolphins because the season is starting to leak away. So I asked Wallace if his current worry would indeed grow to that "paranoid" state he mentioned if things don't change in the coming weeks and certainly by the middle of the season.

"Definitely," he said. "Then definitely something's wrong. And we're almost there. We only have four more games before that. We're already four games in. We don't have too much longer to figure it out. We got to make it happen. I don't know what we have to do. Hard work, I guess, by everybody."

Wallace is great on the fly route. Yet, less than 20% of his targets are deep. Either Miami OC isn't dialing up the right plays or Tanny can't (or won't) air it out. I actually don't blame Wallace (well, except for the drops...) - I think the the issue is either with the play calling or the QB.

I wish I could find this in print but I heard something on Sirius that said something to the effect that he has been targeted 7 or 8 times deeper than 20 yards but has only caught one (for 34 yards).

I don't know if that makes him a hand of stone guy but it seems noticeably worse than when in Pittsburgh.

Unfortunately, I think my concerns are coming to be. Seems like the advice above to ride him out as your WR3 if you can might be the best advice. I can't really see expecting him to be an impact WR at this point.

Here's where I pulled the "deep %" stats from:

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/teamyear.php?year=2013&team=MIA&season=all

Just as a baseline comparison so far in 2013, Wallace's 17.9% deep targets are 67th in the league among WRs. That's horrible for a player of his ability. Miami is not throwing the ball deep at all. As a comparison, Torrey Smith, Hakeem Nicks and S. Hill are all over 50% on deep targets.

Here's the whole WR list:

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=WR

Ironically, Wallace, at 67th, is still the highest Dolphin. This screams that either Tannehill is not comfortable throwing deep or that Miami's OC is drastically limiting the vertical passing game.

Deep targets, for that website's stats, are targets 15 or more yards past the LOS.

I avoided Mike Wallace like the plague this year, and tried to draft Hartline late in every draft. I always worry about WRs that change teams and got a big contract. Vincent Jackson was definitely an exception, but he's a more talented WR than Wallace.

From what I have seen, Wallace doesn't fight for the ball very well in traffic and doesn't run really good routes.

I would sit Wallace until he has a good game and then try to package him in a deal while he still has some name value.

Here's where I pulled the "deep %" stats from:

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/teamyear.php?year=2013&team=MIA&season=all

Just as a baseline comparison so far in 2013, Wallace's 17.9% deep targets are 67th in the league among WRs. That's horrible for a player of his ability. Miami is not throwing the ball deep at all. As a comparison, Torrey Smith, Hakeem Nicks and S. Hill are all over 50% on deep targets.

Here's the whole WR list:

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=WR

Ironically, Wallace, at 67th, is still the highest Dolphin. This screams that either Tannehill is not comfortable throwing deep or that Miami's OC is drastically limiting the vertical passing game.

Deep targets, for that website's stats, are targets 15 or more yards past the LOS.
That's a really interesting website. *bookmarked*

15 yards seems odd, though. I've always seen deep passes listed as 20 yards. I was surprised to see Wallace was only at 33.1% in 2011 (pre-Haley, WR9 finish).

I avoided Mike Wallace like the plague this year, and tried to draft Hartline late in every draft. I always worry about WRs that change teams and got a big contract. Vincent Jackson was definitely an exception, but he's a more talented WR than Wallace.

From what I have seen, Wallace doesn't fight for the ball very well in traffic and doesn't run really good routes.

I would sit Wallace until he has a good game and then try to package him in a deal while he still has some name value.
I've heard people say this before. I guess I haven't paid much attention to it... how often has this happened recently? To me, I would think that it would be a good thing... especially in the case of VJax and Wallace - both guys who are seen as deep threats. So you'd think if a team was specifically targeting them then they'd intend to use them to their strengths. I mean, the way Miami has been using Wallace you would think Jennings would've been a better (and cheaper!) purchase, right? So this indicates to me that they just haven't been able to implement their plan yet. And this was somewhat confirmed by Mike Sherman's quote after week 4:

Wallace has been targeted on a throw of 20+ yards just seven times all season. He's caught one of them for 34 yards and is averaging a lowly 11.7 YPC overall. "We're getting more two safety-looks to take away deeper looks, Sherman said. "We called 12 deep balls [Week 4]. They didn't go there because coverage didn't allow it to go there. You can't force things when they're not there." Wallace also has three drops, failed to separate consistently, shown zero chemistry with Ryan Tannehill and has complained in the media. The Dolphins are fine with using his deep speed as a mere tool to open things up for other players.
Between the high number of plays where he was the #1 read but the play went elsewhere and his uncharacteristic drops, I think this ship will right itself before the season is over.

The Miami offensive coaching staff are off of the WCO tree -- not typically an offense that focuses heavily on the vertical game for the most part. When I think of the historically great WCO receivers, I don't usually think of deep burners. Not that Wallace won't improve as he settles in -- he will. But I don't know that the contract they gave him was an efficient use of their cap resources over the long haul. Agree with the above that a guy like Jennings would likely have been a better, cheaper fit. Miami's still very much a work in progress, and the arrow certainly appears to be pointing up. I'm just not a huge fan of Jeff Ireland as far as being the guy to bring in the players to fulfill the team's obvious promise. We'll see.

Wallace was a drop machine this week. 7/105 sounds nice but if you watched red zone you caught him dropping at least 2 passes, but I think I saw 3. One of them wasn't an easy catch - it was thrown hard and behind him, but if he caught it he most likely would've been able to score a touchdown.

I'm glad they have an early bye week so they can work on their chemistry. Getting 16 targets out of 40 passing attempts is a great sign of things to come. Given that Wallace is historically not drop-prone, I am very optimistic about his prospects for the last 11 games. He's on pace for 141 targets.

Wallace was a drop machine this week. 7/105 sounds nice but if you watched red zone you caught him dropping at least 2 passes, but I think I saw 3. One of them wasn't an easy catch - it was thrown hard and behind him, but if he caught it he most likely would've been able to score a touchdown.

I'm glad they have an early bye week so they can work on their chemistry. Getting 16 targets out of 40 passing attempts is a great sign of things to come. Given that Wallace is historically not drop-prone, I am very optimistic about his prospects for the last 11 games. He's on pace for 141 targets.
I agree it was encouraging but iIIRC he does have hands of stone. huge drop again the saints that he could of taken to the house.

seems at least agains the ravens they made an effort to get him the ball.

I agree it was encouraging but iIIRC he does have hands of stone. huge drop again the saints that he could of taken to the house.

If you'd read just a few posts on this page of the thread, you'd see this has already been discussed. His drop % the past 2 season has been significantly lower than other #1 WRs. He dropped only 11 of 150 catchable passes. So far this year he's already dropped 5 or 6.

If you'd read just a few posts on this page of the thread, you'd see this has already been discussed. His drop % the past 2 season has been significantly lower than other #1 WRs. He dropped only 11 of 150 catchable passes. So far this year he's already dropped 5 or 6.
maybe its just all my steeler fan buddies, but I know they complained about his hands for years.

Hopefully he takes the bye week to work on timing w tannehill

Yeah, when a guy is acting like he doesn't want to play for your team, every mistake does tend to get scrutinized. 11 drops is about 1 per 3 games which is definitely enough for fans to notice. But right now he's dropping almost 2 per game which is insane. He's either going to figure it out and start putting up huge numbers or he's going to stop getting targets.

I'm glad they have an early bye week so they can work on their chemistry.
I'm not sure what Miami's procedure is, but I believe most teams allow their players to go home for a few days during their bye week. I don't know how much additional "chemistry" will be attained.

I just picked up Wallace last week when he was dropped by another owner. I did this after reading a few articles posted here. My thought is they are going to force feed him the ball going forward. You do not sign a guy to a monster contract to be a decoy. The owners will not allow it. Hence the huge increase in targets this last week. Did he have some easy drops? Yes. But will there be pressure by owners and coaches to get him the ball? Absolutely.

I believe Wallace is a perfect buy low or sneaky WW pickup.

You do not sign a guy to a monster contract to be a decoy. The owners will not allow it.
:lol:

Stephen Ross doesn't know a football from a hockey puck. He's a businessman. I assure you he's not ordering Philbin to feed Wallace the ball.

Although, minority owners Gloria Estefan, Marc Anthony, Venus Williams and Serena Williams HAVE been known to draw up some good plays.

;)

You do not sign a guy to a monster contract to be a decoy. The owners will not allow it.
:lol:Stephen Ross doesn't know a football from a hockey puck. He's a businessman. I assure you he's not ordering Philbin to feed Wallace the ball.
As a businessman I am just as certain he doesn't drop 60 million and not expect any return. We can agree to disagree .
They're 3-2 -- if they keep winning, go 10-6, and make the playoffs I guarantee no one outside of Mike Wallace himself and his FF owners care the slightest bit whether he has 1500 yards or 500.ETA Mike probably doesn't care either -- he already got paid and is probably cool with just the winning part.

:lol:Stephen Ross doesn't know a football from a hockey puck. He's a businessman. I assure you he's not ordering Philbin to feed Wallace the ball.
As a businessman I am just as certain he doesn't drop 60 million and not expect any return. We can agree to disagree .
He's getting plenty for his money. Wallace's presence frees up everyone else to make plays. He bought himself an expensive part-time decoy but it's working.

He's getting plenty for his money. Wallace's presence frees up everyone else to make plays. He bought himself an expensive part-time decoy but it's working.
Agree but that is only possible if he remains a threat, and the only way to do that is to be targeted and produce.

I hope your business isn't knowing what Ross thinks.

Can't believe 'Fins brass fell for this guy and paid him enormous money.

Clearly looks like a guy that is happy to have been paid, and can coast now.

Traded him last week for Rivers, Yay!!!

The guy is poison to your fantasy team, get rid of him!

Dude has gotten at least 10 targets in 4 of 7 games and has had 36 targets and 2 rushes in the last 3 games. This is reminiscent of Brandon Lloyd last year. It's hard to imagine the targets AND lack of production will continue, yet that's what happened with Lloyd. But that's rarely the case. So, realistically, Miami will have to either stop throwing him the ball or he'll start producing. I can't predict which one will happen, but I'm still betting on the latter.

Rotoworld:

Mike Wallace reportedly "remains frustrated" and had another "conversation" with OC Mike Sherman recently.
Signed to a $60 million contract in March, Wallace is averaging just 4.2 catches for 56.8 yards with one touchdown so far. Perhaps more disconcerting is his inability to make big plays. He's tied for 70th in the NFL with just four plays of 20+ yards and has seven drops. Playing poorly and not being used like a No. 1 receiver, Wallace is just a WR3 against the Bengals Thursday night. His "conversations" with Sherman in the past haven't yielded a change in role.

Source: Miami Herald

Rotoworld:

Mike Wallace reportedly "remains frustrated" and had another "conversation" with OC Mike Sherman recently.

Signed to a $60 million contract in March, Wallace is averaging just 4.2 catches for 56.8 yards with one touchdown so far. Perhaps more disconcerting is his inability to make big plays. He's tied for 70th in the NFL with just four plays of 20+ yards and has seven drops. Playing poorly and not being used like a No. 1 receiver, Wallace is just a WR3 against the Bengals Thursday night. His "conversations" with Sherman in the past haven't yielded a change in role.

Source: Miami Herald
Maybe if he wasn't so overpaid and didn't suck so bad he wouldn't need to see the OC.

He's like the parent complaining to the little league coach that his son is in right field & bats 9th... If your son was good, he'd be at shortstop & leading off, now ####.

Logging on and not seeing him in my lineup after trading him to a sucker makes me happy.

Users who are viewing this thread