What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Avoid Mike Wallace, the Raven? (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Mike Wallace has caught just three of the 15 passes thrown to him that have traveled 20 yards or longer in the air.

In other words, he's been turned into a $60 million possession receiver. Wallace is averaging a career-low 12.4 yards per catch on the season and has one touchdown in nine games. The inept offensive line play, the West coast scheme and Wallace himself are all to blame. Perhaps he finally breaks off a big play in this week's dream matchup with the Chargers' No. 28 secondary. Starting corners Derek Cox and Shareece Wright are two of the worst in the NFL.

Source: Miami Herald

Rotoworld:

Mike Wallace has caught just three of the 15 passes thrown to him that have traveled 20 yards or longer in the air.

In other words, he's been turned into a $60 million possession receiver. Wallace is averaging a career-low 12.4 yards per catch on the season and has one touchdown in nine games. The inept offensive line play, the West coast scheme and Wallace himself are all to blame. Perhaps he finally breaks off a big play in this week's dream matchup with the Chargers' No. 28 secondary. Starting corners Derek Cox and Shareece Wright are two of the worst in the NFL.

Hartline's avg has also dipped to 12.4 ypc this year. Tannehill has 7 completions => 40 yds which is tied for 7th in the league and Wallace has 3 of those. However, for completions between 20-40 yds, Tannehill is tied for 30th in the league. Only Arizona and Oakland have less. I'm not sure who gets the most blame for this, but I suspect the WR core is probably the least to blame.

Where are all the geniuses (I'm looking at you, Touchdown There) who called me a blind homer and an idiot for suggesting that Antonio Brown was as good as Wallace and a much better value at his salary than Wallace would have been at $12M per?

Where are all the geniuses (I'm looking at you, Touchdown There) who called me a blind homer and an idiot for suggesting that Antonio Brown was as good as Wallace and a much better value at his salary than Wallace would have been at $12M per?
While you're not wrong, Roethlisberger and Wallace had a nice chemistry. Miami's offense as a whole is killing him.

Amen brother

Rotoworld:

Hartline's avg has also dipped to 12.4 ypc this year. Tannehill has 7 completions => 40 yds which is tied for 7th in the league and Wallace has 3 of those. However, for completions between 20-40 yds, Tannehill is tied for 30th in the league. Only Arizona and Oakland have less. I'm not sure who gets the most blame for this, but I suspect the WR core is probably the least to blame.
This reminds me of when GB had offensive line issues a few years back and Jennings' production suffered. The next year they improved the line and he bounced back. Rodgers was able to find a way to maintain production via shorter drop backs, but the deep threat's production suffered. I think the offensive line issues are a big part of the problem here. Tannehill is the most sacked QB, right? But Wallace has dropped quite a few passes this year, so obviously that makes an already bad situation even worse.

I can't stand this guy
I bet the rest of your players can't stand him either. This is one of those guys that you cut and immediately feel great about your team. Then you feel even better when someone else picks him up and lays eggs in his starting lineup.

Did that with Jennings earlier this year. My team has rallied around this decision and have now posted 4 straight top 3 finishes. Everyone in the locker room is glad to see this 'take the $ and run' clown suck elsewhere.

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald reports Mike Wallace (hamstring, questionable) is expected to play Sunday against the Chargers, barring an unexpected setback.
Wallace was added to the injury report Thursday, getting in a limited session, but team beat writers expressed little concern regarding 60 Minutes' game-day status for Week 11 after he got in some practice reps Friday afternoon. Fire Wallace up as a high-end WR3 against San Diego's leaky pass defense. Check back Sunday morning for further Wallace confirmation. Kickoff is at 4:05 PM ET.

Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter

Garbage. Though I'm not sure I took him over anyone of value that would have been foreseeable or consistent.

Scratch that. Josh Gordon. :wall:

Rotoworld:

OC Mike Sherman said "we have to get" Mike Wallace and Ryan Tannehill on the same page on deep passes.

This lack of chemistry has been going since training camp. We're now 11 weeks into the season, and nothing has changed. Wallace has been able to shake loose on go routes a few times lately, but Tannehill has been inaccurate with the throw. We don't expect things to suddenly click with the offensive line unable to protect. Averaging just 4.4 catches for 53.4 yards with one touchdown in 10 games, Wallace will be a boom-or-bust WR3 against the Panthers in Week 12.

Related: Ryan Tannehill

Unfortunately, if Tannehill would stop underthrowing him his stat line would look very different. Missed another deep 6 this week.

Rotoworld:

OC Mike Sherman said "we have to get" Mike Wallace and Ryan Tannehill on the same page on deep passes.

This lack of chemistry has been going since training camp. We're now 11 weeks into the season, and nothing has changed. Wallace has been able to shake loose on go routes a few times lately, but Tannehill has been inaccurate with the throw. We don't expect things to suddenly click with the offensive line unable to protect. Averaging just 4.4 catches for 53.4 yards with one touchdown in 10 games, Wallace will be a boom-or-bust WR3 against the Panthers in Week 12.

Breaking news: Coach wants players to play better.

fruity pebbles said:
Unfortunately, if Tannehill would stop underthrowing him his stat line would look very different. Missed another deep 6 this week.
While I am sure this is true, Wallace had a ton of wide-open drops his last season-and-a-half with the Steelers.

Wallace is very fast and can be a game breaker but he doesn't have the greatest hands and has problems maintaining focus. Getting open is just part of the equation.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Take a stab which one he will turn out to be.

Rotoworld:

Mike Wallace admits his season could be going "a lot better."
Speaking Tuesday, Wallace hinted at simmering frustration, particularly with his touchdown total. "Sheesh, I got one (score)," he said. Wallace also bristled at OC Mike Sherman's suggestion that he had a fantastic game Sunday. "He raved about the game I had?" Wallace asked rhetorically. "I had 39 yards." Wallace stopped short of directly calling out his coaches and quarterback, but made it clear he believes there needs to be a more concerted effort to get him involved on offense. Considering the lack of creativity Joe Philbin's staff has displayed thus far, it's highly unlikely.

Rotoworld:

Take a stab which one he will turn out to be.
LOL @ Rotoworld. I like them for breaking news but they are a joke analysing anything. I wish I could get a job where all I had to do was follow my favorite hobby, copy and paste somebody else's leg work and then say "Our view: THe sun will either rise...or not, tomorrow."

Wallace already at seventeen points, standard scoring. On my bench. :wall:
How can you even kick yourself over this? You must have had NO other options if you considered starting this guy.
Not really kicking myself, but I was almost stubborn and went with him because I drafted him. Bye Week 12 for Philly and Sea. No P. Harvin nor Marshawn Lynch, lost Blackmon to drugs. Starting Hilton and Floyd. Sixteen team league.

First time all year he's done something while in my lineup.

(Cool story, bro!)

Looks like he's finally on the same page with Tannehill. Back-to-back nice games.

First time all year he's done something while in my lineup.

(Cool story, bro!)

Looks like he's finally on the same page with Tannehill. Back-to-back nice games.
Dropped him for the Bills D, week 16 @ Jax. (Another cool story, bro). I simply don't trust him week-to-week, #3 TD on the season. He's starting to trend well, but I simply don't trust him enough to plug him in when it's single elimination time.

He's my WR1 (by a fair margin) as I go into the playoffs. :bag:

Its been an interesting year fellas.

Going back to Pitt for Week 14 fwiw.

Its probably silly to think that they do this in real-life but maybe, just maybe, the Steelers want to shut Wallace out just as much as Wallace wants to stick it to the old team.

I watched him almost every down in the Carolina game, he was wide open on many plays, Tannehill needs to start getting some radar lock on this guy when he is blowing by DBs, you gotta make the defense pay for it.
Yep...it's not Wallace. Granted he has dropped some balls right in his mits. But Tannehill has been brutal on long passing plays.....just brutal.

He must improve and this OL must be shored up next season. If we can shore up the OL.....year three will have no excuses. And Tannehill has great feet as seen yesterday on a few scrambles. For the love of god....when nothing is there and the pressure is coming....get yer ### moving man!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently Mike Wallace is WR28 in my PPR league and rising (now that he is healthy). His 2013 ADP was WR24. He likely ends the year right around his ADP, which means that the OP gave bad advice and that this thread is worthless.

Any chance the OP is a Steelers fan?

Currently Mike Wallace is WR28 in my PPR league and rising (now that he is healthy). His 2013 ADP was WR24. He likely ends the year right around his ADP, which means that the OP gave bad advice and that this thread is worthless.

Any chance the OP is a Steelers fan?
THere is zero chance I am a Steelers fan. I have no agenda. I asked the question for face value (originally the thread had a ? in the title until someone asked me to remove it).

If you took the time to read the thread, you would see that my comment never pounded a table and gave advice, it was a statement and you would also see that the thread was a quesiton, originally.

With that being said, if you take a common sense approach to the topic, you will find it was a good thread. It had a lot of good input in it and it proved to be right. Your WR2 (with WR1 upside as many were saying in the off-season) proved to be a poor pick. Wallace is the Chris Johnson of WRs at this point. Certainly a talented player and can get some points. However, he's not the guy you want as your 2nd WR when literally half (6 of his 12) games played have resulted in 8 points or less. None of the other top 30 consensus Wrs have more than 3 except VJAX, DJAX, and Hilton and we all know those guys are big swing players.

I also don't understand the "now that he's healthy" part of the post. He hasn't been in any danger of missing any games this year.

I honestly don't understand the point of a post like yours at all in terms of it actually trying to add anything beneficial to what has been up to this point, about 200 posts of decent conversation, unlike many in that it hasn't derailed into a bunch of drivel and arguing.

# Ovr Player Pts Avg

1 2 Johnson, Calvin DET WR 284 25.8

2 9 Gordon, Josh CLE WR 246 24.6

3 10 Marshall, Brandon CHI 237 19.8

4 11 Thomas, Demaryius DEN 236 19.7

5 13 Brown, Antonio PIT WR 233 19.4

6 15 Green, A.J. CIN WR 232 19.3

7 17 Jeffery, Alshon CHI WR 230 19.2

8 18 Johnson, Andre HOU WR 229 19.1

9 26 Bryant, Dez DAL WR 214 17.8

10 30 Jackson, DeSean PHI WR 210 17.5

11 33 Decker, Eric DEN WR 204 17

12 34 Nelson, Jordy GBP WR 204 17

13 37 Garcon, Pierre WAS WR 200 16.7

14 40 Jackson, Vincent TBB WR 189 15.8

15 41 Welker, Wes DEN WR 188 15.7

16 43 Cruz, Victor NYG WR 185 15.4

17 46 Fitzgerald, Larry ARI 174 14.5

18 47 Smith, Torrey BAL WR 173 14.4

19 48 Boldin, Anquan SFO WR 171 14.2

20 51 Hilton, T.Y. IND WR 170 14.2

21 55 Douglas, Harry ATL WR 168 14

22 57 Allen, Keenan SDC WR 166 15.1

23 59 Floyd, Michael ARI WR 166 13.8

24 60 Edelman, Julian NEP WR 165 13.8

25 63 Wright, Kendall TEN WR 163 13.6

26 67 Hartline, Brian MIA WR 157 13.1

27 75 Shorts, Cecil JAC WR 152 12.7

28 80 Wallace, Mike MIA WR 150 12.5

29 84 Cooper, Riley PHI WR 141 11.8

30 90 Sanders, Emmanuel PIT 136 11.3

31 96 Cotchery, Jerricho PIT 132 11

32 98 Smith, Steve CAR WR 132 11

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that you didn't choose to scold the OP after Wallace went 1-15-0 in week 1.

Or when he went 2-22-0 in week 3.

Or when he went 3-24-0 in week 4.

Or when he went 3-41-0 in week 8.

Or when he went 4-15-0 in week 10.

Or when he went 4-39-0 in week 11.

Interesting that you didn't choose to scold the OP after Wallace went 1-15-0 in week 1.

Trying to identify a pattern so I know the 4 weeks I should start him next year

Raider Nation said:
Touchdown There said:

Does this read smart to you? Read what you wrote again.

Or when he went 2-19-0 in week 14.

He barely outscored Cotchery and Sanders much less anything near A Brown.

Reminds me of Holmes - great talent at times but apparently a negative Wonderlic......

Users who are viewing this thread