What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bad Endings for Films - Spoilers Beware (1 Viewer)

Morton Muffley said:
I think that is the difference between us.  You see him as a killer with a code and that code is chance.  I see him as chance itself. He's a metaphor.
You want metaphorical characters in movies?  How about theater of the absurd and stream of consciousness?  Main stream movies are not novels.  The Cohen's aren't about to option Ulysses and they had to adapt Cormac McCarthy's story into a visual screen play but lets say Anton Chigurh is metaphor of chance.  

How would making the ending more filmically satisfying change the metaphorical incarnate aspect of Chigurh?  

And many articles have been written about him as a the best psychopath in the history of film due to ticking off every box and the cherry on top was he followed a twisted code of ethics that he had to abide by and that is why he had to kill Carla Jean Moss at the end even though it made no logical sense.  He had to because he was compelled by his psychopathic twisted ethical code but even if he was a walking LITERARY metaphor as chance moving that scene to end would not change.

You want metaphorical characters in movies?  How about theater of the absurd and stream of consciousness?  Main stream movies are not novels.  The Cohen's aren't about to option Ulysses and they had to adapt Cormac McCarthy's story into a visual screen play but lets say Anton Chigurh is metaphor of chance.  

How would making the ending more filmically satisfying change the metaphorical incarnate aspect of Chigurh?  

And many articles have been written about him as a the best psychopath in the history of film due to ticking off every box and the cherry on top was he followed a twisted code of ethics that he had to abide by and that is why he had to kill Carla Jean Moss at the end even though it made no logical sense.  He had to because he was compelled by his psychopathic twisted ethical code but even if he was a walking LITERARY metaphor as chance moving that scene to end would not change.
If you don’t have that scene early, you don’t know that you can win “everything.”  It means you watch the entire movie thinking he’s just a mercenary killer. 

If you don’t have that scene early, you don’t know that you can win “everything.”  It means you watch the entire movie thinking he’s just a mercenary killer. 
EXACTLY!  You would think he would kill him and that chance had nothing to do with it so the tension would mount as the audience would expect bloodshed whereas the end that was filmed the audience got nothing because we knew he was bound by his code and that Carla Jean would not escape because she was playing by a moral code unrelated to Chigurh.  

Moving the gas station coin-flip scene to the end would put the best scene where it would create maximum tension filling the Cohen Brothers lust to subvert audience expectations as they would expect one thing and get another that was far more satisfying than their expectations.  

EXACTLY!  You would think he would kill him and that chance had nothing to do with it so the tension would mount as the audience would expect bloodshed whereas the end that was filmed the audience got nothing because we knew he was bound by his code and that Carla Jean would not escape because she was playing by a moral code unrelated to Chigurh.  

Moving the gas station coin-flip scene to the end would put the best scene where it would create maximum tension filling the Cohen Brothers lust to subvert audience expectations as they would expect one thing and get another that was far more satisfying than their expectations.  
You’re watching a different movie. I feel like you want Die Hard, and this is much, much more than that. 

But neither Chigurgh nor Moss are the main characters.  They may be the most interesting and they drive the action, but the Sherriff (smart, but forever behind) is the main character.  The Sherriff's realization that time has passed him by is the theme of the movie (it's in the title!).  That's why I find the dream/monologue so fitting.  It is both surprising but expected.  That is what make a good ending.  It isn't necessarily what you expect, but then you realize it is the only one that makes sense.  The Sherriff realizes that nothing any longer makes sense.  And that's why he no longer fits.

Anyway, I hear what you saying and it's clear we aren't gonna agree.  I dont hate your suggested fix, I just prefer the one the Cohens went with for the reasons above.

I'm sorry I'm not as deep as you because I like good movies which tend to have good endings.  Yippykiyay.
When a movie is based on a great piece of literature, I prefer it mirror the author’s story and themes. I’m sure you’ll be able to find Armageddon on basic cable tonight to enjoy. 

Anyone else love Michael Bay’s version of Pride and Prejudice?  I thought adding the stealth bombers would be strange, but having there at the end really helped. 

Never read it, but I hate it. 
Me too:

Bernard Malamud, author of The Natural, imagined a much different fate for Hobbs. In Malamud’s novel, the mighty home run is an equally thunderous whiff for strike three, and Hobbs, after violently confronting Judge Banner, Gus Sands, and Memo Paris, discovers his grisly past exposed in the papers alongside allegations that he threw the big game. The novel ends with Roy crying bitter tears after a paperboy inquires, “Say it ain’t true, Roy.”

TheWinz said:
The Karate Kid

No way Danielson would've beaten Johnny Lawrence.  Crane technique my ###.
Here’s my problem with the “Crane Kick”.

Mr Miyagi said if done right there’s no defense. Well in part 2 the guy just caught his foot and tossed Daniel San like a little #####.

That seems like a good defense.

Mr Miyagi said if done right there’s no defense. Well in part 2 the guy just caught his foot and tossed Daniel San like a little #####.

maybe the out of practice Daniel did not do it right.  Maybe there is a fine line.....if not done right you get tossed aside like a little #####.  

The only thing worse than the Crane technique is the little banging drum technique. And the only thing worse than the little banging drum technique is winning via Tai Chi. And the only thing worse than winning via Tai Chi is Hilary Swank beating up a bully with some of the worst karate ever witnessed on screen. And the only thing worse than Hilary Swank beating up a bully with some of the worst karate ever witnessed on screen is Jaden Smith starring in a movie called The Karate Kid when the movie IS ABOUT FREAKING KUNG FU!!!

American Graffiti. Wasn't it fun following these 18 year olds for one last summer night of youth? Now here is how they will all die. Except for the female characters, who cares about them. 

The Karate Kid is one of the best endings in cinematic history. WTF?

“Put him in a body bag!!!!!”
Interesting tidbit, in post production they felt they needed a good line in that scene. They called in the actor to record some audio to insert into the movie. The actor ad-libbed the body bag line in one take. As soon as he delivered it, the director knew it would become a classic line. 

For anyone complaining about the karate in Karate Kid I suggest you watch Only The Strong about Capoeira...worst martial arts movie ever

Well, Vietnam was a game changer.
Only one of them dies in Vietnam.The other being hit by a drunk driver. It's just a real downer way to end what had been a pretty fun movie. Also, they totally ignore all the women and give no updates on what happens to them. I really love the movie, but those ending epitaphs are a big weak spot IMO. 

Only one of them dies in Vietnam.The other being hit by a drunk driver. It's just a real downer way to end what had been a pretty fun movie. Also, they totally ignore all the women and give no updates on what happens to them. I really love the movie, but those ending epitaphs are a big weak spot IMO. 
I think that's pretty much the point, though.

Sure you have problems as a teen, but keep them in perspective. Adulthood, and all the accompanying responsibilities, make those problems pale in comparison pretty quickly.

American Graffiti. Wasn't it fun following these 18 year olds for one last summer night of youth? Now here is how they will all die. Except for the female characters, who cares about them. 
The movie was about George Lucas who was the age of and identified with the male characters.  He nearly died in a car crash.  He did not go the 'conformist' way of college and marrying his high school sweetheart.  He knew people/guys who went to Nam and died.  The story was about the guys/George and he explained where he excluded the female characters.

One shot.

One card.

It hit the right beat and if he doubled it to put in the women it wouldn't have read on or hit the same beat.  He had the other card and a bigger card with the female characters but it didn't work according, it was too busy to read and he didn't want two cards to split up the emotional impact of seeing and feeling what became of the main characters the movie focused on.  He said the film was about the guys/him so it hit the right note at the end.  He understands the criticism but if you look at all of the decisions he made  in that movie where he fought the studio and won he was right on every call and the studio didn't like the ending.  The studio also didn't like the title, didn't like anything about the film and wanted to make it a TV movie.  They thought it would bomb and were shocked it made money and it spurned a tidal wave of knockoffs that never came close to American Graffiti. 

Original Bad News Bears - I can't find a clip, but I think Kelly Leak might have been safe at home. If he scores and it goes into extra innings, who knows what might have happened - I think Rudy Stein had at least another inning in him.

Last edited by a moderator:
The movie was about George Lucas who was the age of and identified with the male characters.  He nearly died in a car crash.  He did not go the 'conformist' way of college and marrying his high school sweetheart.  He knew people/guys who went to Nam and died.  The story was about the guys/George and he explained where he excluded the female characters.

One shot.

One card.

It hit the right beat and if he doubled it to put in the women it wouldn't have read on or hit the same beat.  He had the other card and a bigger card with the female characters but it didn't work according, it was too busy to read and he didn't want two cards to split up the emotional impact of seeing and feeling what became of the main characters the movie focused on.  He said the film was about the guys/him so it hit the right note at the end.  He understands the criticism but if you look at all of the decisions he made  in that movie where he fought the studio and won he was right on every call and the studio didn't like the ending.  The studio also didn't like the title, didn't like anything about the film and wanted to make it a TV movie.  They thought it would bomb and were shocked it made money and it spurned a tidal wave of knockoffs that never came close to American Graffiti. 
I know and it's one of my favorite movies but the ending doesn't work for me. Seems tacked on and is really insulting to Deb, Carol and Laurie. 

I think that's pretty much the point, though.

Sure you have problems as a teen, but keep them in perspective. Adulthood, and all the accompanying responsibilities, make those problems pale in comparison pretty quickly.
Is it? Because the whole rest of the movie seems to be saying the opposite: look how significant this brief moment of your life is. Seems like an odd message to make a movie and then at the very end be like, "everything you saw was not very important". 

Also baseball - A League Of Their Own

Kit should have been out by 30+ feet considering Rosie O'Donnell got the relay at third base while Kit was about 5 feet before hitting the third base bag. https://youtu.be/a46FsHMRPkc?t=100 Not to mention that Dottie had control of the ball when she made the tag.

If Kit gets thrown out as she should have, she probably stews over it forever and doesn't show up at that reunion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Original Bad News Bears - I can't find a clip, but I think Kelly Leak might have been safe at home. If he scores and it goes into extra innings, who knows what might have happened - I think Rudy Stein had at least another inning in him.
For thirty years I thought Kelly was safe, but he was definitely out. He slid right into the tag.

Also baseball - A League Of Their Own

Kit should have been out by 30+ feet considering Rosie O'Donnell got the relay at third base while Kit was about 5 feet before hitting the third base bag. https://youtu.be/a46FsHMRPkc?t=100 Not to mention that Dottie had control of the ball when she made the tag.

If Kit gets thrown out as she should have, she probably stews over it forever and doesn't show up at that reunion.
Doris got the ball home in plenty of time, Dottie just choked because it was her sister coming at her. You could see the cringe on Dottie's face before the collision.  She lost the battle before it even happened. If Dottie had gotten lower to meet Kit more head-on, maybe she would have had a better chance.  Instead, she couldn't absorb the impact and got blown up. In the collision earlier in the movie, Dottie held the ball closer to her body and took more of the impact with her whole body, whereas she basically let her catcher's mitt with the ball in it take the initial contact. Absolute recipe for disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread