What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bad Endings for Films - Spoilers Beware (1 Viewer)

For thirty years I thought Kelly was safe, but he was definitely out. He slid right into the tag.

Doris got the ball home in plenty of time, Dottie just choked because it was her sister coming at her. You could see the cringe on Dottie's face before the collision.  She lost the battle before it even happened. If Dottie had gotten lower to meet Kit more head-on, maybe she would have had a better chance.  Instead, she couldn't absorb the impact and got blown up. In the collision earlier in the movie, Dottie held the ball closer to her body and took more of the impact with her whole body, whereas she basically let her catcher's mitt with the ball in it take the initial contact. Absolute recipe for disaster.
On then of course there’s the minority but outspoken thought that she dropped it purposely... 

I really didn’t like that the sisters didn’t stay in contact. Probably consistent with the movie arc but for some reason I didn’t like it. 

On then of course there’s the minority but outspoken thought that she dropped it purposely... 

I really didn’t like that the sisters didn’t stay in contact. Probably consistent with the movie arc but for some reason I didn’t like it. 
Considering they show Dottie holding the ball until her hand hits the ground, I wouldn't rule out she did it on purpose, either. Just saying the way she braced herself left her open to lose the ball.

They probably did write at least.  Can't really blame Kit for not being in a rush to go back to Oregon, considering what she thought her parents thought of her.

Original Bad News Bears - I can't find a clip, but I think Kelly Leak might have been safe at home. If he scores and it goes into extra innings, who knows what might have happened - I think Rudy Stein had at least another inning in him.
For thirty years I thought Kelly was safe, but he was definitely out. He slid right into the tag.
I'll buy that one that he slid into the tag. Of course, if Kelly runs hard the whole way instead of hot-dogging it, he scores easily.

I'll buy that one that he slid into the tag. Of course, if Kelly runs hard the whole way instead of hot-dogging it, he scores easily.
I blame the cameraman he almost ran into as he was rounding 3rd. Definitely lost a step or two in that exchange, would have made all the difference.

Original Bad News Bears - I can't find a clip, but I think Kelly Leak might have been safe at home. If he scores and it goes into extra innings, who knows what might have happened - I think Rudy Stein had at least another inning in him.
The highlight of that scene for me was seeing Vic Morrow's look when the ball headed toward the gap.  :shock:

He left a big load in his pants on that one. 

Also baseball - A League Of Their Own

Kit should have been out by 30+ feet considering Rosie O'Donnell got the relay at third base while Kit was about 5 feet before hitting the third base bag. https://youtu.be/a46FsHMRPkc?t=100 Not to mention that Dottie had control of the ball when she made the tag.

If Kit gets thrown out as she should have, she probably stews over it forever and doesn't show up at that reunion.
Doris got the ball home in plenty of time, Dottie just choked because it was her sister coming at her. You could see the cringe on Dottie's face before the collision.  She lost the battle before it even happened. If Dottie had gotten lower to meet Kit more head-on, maybe she would have had a better chance.  Instead, she couldn't absorb the impact and got blown up. In the collision earlier in the movie, Dottie held the ball closer to her body and took more of the impact with her whole body, whereas she basically let her catcher's mitt with the ball in it take the initial contact. Absolute recipe for disaste
True, but my point is that it shouldn't have even been a close play at the plate. Dottie should have had the ball when Kit was about halfway home and she's dead meat. I don't see Doris and Dottie messing up a rundown.

The other point is that I think Kit was out anyway. Dottie tagged Kit with control of the ball and it wasn't until a few seconds later that she dropped the ball. Kind of like a transfer play where a fielder drops the ball after making the out.

Also baseball - A League Of Their Own

Kit should have been out by 30+ feet considering Rosie O'Donnell got the relay at third base while Kit was about 5 feet before hitting the third base bag. https://youtu.be/a46FsHMRPkc?t=100 Not to mention that Dottie had control of the ball when she made the tag.

If Kit gets thrown out as she should have, she probably stews over it forever and doesn't show up at that reunion.
That doesn't matter.  Dottie has to hold the ball through the play and she did not.  Kit was safe although under current MLB rules she would have been called out and been thrown out of the game.

That doesn't matter.  Dottie has to hold the ball through the play and she did not.  Kit was safe although under current MLB rules she would have been called out and been thrown out of the game.
I stand corrected.

Considering they show Dottie holding the ball until her hand hits the ground, I wouldn't rule out she did it on purpose, either. Just saying the way she braced herself left her open to lose the ball.

They probably did write at least.  Can't really blame Kit for not being in a rush to go back to Oregon, considering what she thought her parents thought of her.
For sure. I think that Kit wanted it more and finally got the best of Dotty (with Doty’s technique not being ideal). That’s the version I like. But I’ve heard a lot of people argue Dotty intentionally dropped it (which seems inconsistent with her calling for high fastballs). 

on the second point I also get Kit not going back to Oregon and finally starting her own life. But to  have no contact where she and her sister seemed to finally be on even ground? Seems cruel. 

on the second point I also get Kit not going back to Oregon and finally starting her own life. But to  have no contact where she and her sister seemed to finally be on even ground? Seems cruel. 
They 'reconciled' right after the game, so there wasn't any bad blood and no reason to think they didn't at least write.  Remember, this was the 40's and it would have cost an arm and leg to talk on the phone.  Dottie had Bob, the dairy and their soon to be family to take care of, so I don't think she had much free time either.  Kit had the world at her feet as a local sports hero and experiencing freedom for the first time; can't really blame her for taking that ride as far as it would go, and I'm sure Dottie understood that.

That is absolutely how I felt when I saw that the first time.  Way to be spot on.
Seriously. I think what made this movie a cut above the rest was that realistic ending. Not the usual scenario of girl getting pregnant by the guy's best friend, guy helping her through an abortion despite not being the father, and then living happily ever after.

Always wanted to see the original Israeli movie Eskimo Limon, on which LAV was based.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously. I think what made this movie a cut above the rest was that realistic ending. Not the usual scenario of girl getting pregnant by the guy's best friend, guy helping her through an abortion it despite not being the father, and then living happily ever after.

Always wanted to see the original Israeli movie Eskimo Limon, on which LAV was based.
Yes, nice guy gets his heart stomped on is rarely featured in film, BUT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME IN REAL LIFE. 

p.s. I’m not bitter. 

Seriously. I think what made this movie a cut above the rest was that realistic ending. Not the usual scenario of girl getting pregnant by the guy's best friend, guy helping her through an abortion despite not being the father, and then living happily ever after.

I had no idea it was based on another movie.

Also, it ruined Diane Franklin for me and I didn't enjoy Better Off Dead as much as I could have because of my memories of her character from LAV.

I had no idea it was based on another movie.

Also, it ruined Diane Franklin for me and I didn't enjoy Better Off Dead as much as I could have because of my memories of her character from LAV.
No doubt. I hated her for life after LAV.

By contrast, I was definitely rooting for Gary (Lawrence Monoson) in Mask.

Is it? Because the whole rest of the movie seems to be saying the opposite: look how significant this brief moment of your life is. Seems like an odd message to make a movie and then at the very end be like, "everything you saw was not very important". 
That's not what I meant to say either. I meant its saying "look how quickly the context of your life changes".

Sure the ups and downs of your teen years are important. They're what you deal with at that time and they're all important - for that time.

But that shifting to adulthood is SO jarring (at least to those that actually accept it happening and not the Peter Pan types) and everything becomes so different so quickly post-high school graduation. 

I think that's the American Graffiti message - Your teenage years...Enjoy them, deal with them, and brace yourself for what happens next.

That's not what I meant to say either. I meant its saying "look how quickly the context of your life changes".

Sure the ups and downs of your teen years are important. They're what you deal with at that time and they're all important - for that time.

But that shifting to adulthood is SO jarring (at least to those that actually accept it happening and not the Peter Pan types) and everything becomes so different so quickly post-high school graduation. 

I think that's the American Graffiti message - Your teenage years...Enjoy them, deal with them, and brace yourself for what happens next.
Still doesn't let the movie off the hook for ignoring the 3 female characters and their futures.

When in doubt how to end your movie, just follow what some cheesy comedies have done over the years. Have everyone jump in the air, freeze frame, and roll credits.

Me too:

Bernard Malamud, author of The Natural, imagined a much different fate for Hobbs. In Malamud’s novel, the mighty home run is an equally thunderous whiff for strike three, and Hobbs, after violently confronting Judge Banner, Gus Sands, and Memo Paris, discovers his grisly past exposed in the papers alongside allegations that he threw the big game. The novel ends with Roy crying bitter tears after a paperboy inquires, “Say it ain’t true, Roy.”
In high school I read The Natural over the summer having never seen the movie, but having seen clips of the movie that show the famous home run (I think in promos for it being on TV).  Man, was I confused/surprised/depressed when I got to the "real" ending.  Then later in the school year we had to read one of Malmud's short stories.  I don't remember the name but it's a man talking to his father on the subway.  If I remember correctly the father dies unexpectedly almost right after the conversation.  I vowed to avoid Malmud after that because while both stories were well-written and engaging, I'm assuming the author was a depressed dude who liked to write gut-wrenching endings.

Still doesn't let the movie off the hook for ignoring the 3 female characters and their futures.
Just got this from the IMDB trivia...

Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz found the ending depressing and were incredulous that George Lucas planned to include only the male characters in the epilogue. Lucas argued that mentioning the girls meant adding another title card, which he felt would prolong the ending. Because of this, Pauline Kael later accused Lucas of chauvinism.

Worst ending to a movie in my mind was Rising Sun.  I’m a Michael Crichton fan who read all his books going into the move back in 1993 so this one irks me more than it should.

The entire book was about how rich and powerful Japanese corporations were and even here in America they were above the law.  In the book a Japanese employee killed the hooker and ultimately the two cops were able to prove it as the powerful corporation does everything it can to escape justice.

In The movie.... I kid you not..... they changed the ending so that it was the one local white lawyer that worked for the company that killed the hooker.  They did this because...... wait for it.... powerful Japanese film companies in Hollywood got wind the movie was being made and was worried about how racist an ending it was.

Worst ending to a movie in my mind was Rising Sun.  I’m a Michael Crichton fan who read all his books going into the move back in 1993 so this one irks me more than it should.

The entire book was about how rich and powerful Japanese corporations were and even here in America they were above the law.  In the book a Japanese employee killed the hooker and ultimately the two cops were able to prove it as the powerful corporation does everything it can to escape justice.

In The movie.... I kid you not..... they changed the ending so that it was the one local white lawyer that worked for the company that killed the hooker.  They did this because...... wait for it.... powerful Japanese film companies in Hollywood got wind the movie was being made and was worried about how racist an ending it was.
that was bad

The Firm was another one where they changed the book ending and made it absurd.
Its been so long since i read the book.  Did the ending actually change or just did they have different people doing different things all along the way?  For instance, I don't think the wife made all the copies in the Caymans.  I thought it was just different people doing different things. 

Its been so long since i read the book.  Did the ending actually change or just did they have different people doing different things all along the way?  For instance, I don't think the wife made all the copies in the Caymans.  I thought it was just different people doing different things. 
Yeah I'm trying to remember as well as it's been so long since I've read the book and seen the movie. 

When I was a kid I read and really enjoyed the book The Chocolate War.  I learned a while back that they made a movie of it, which I've never seen, but apparently in the movie they completely changed the ending.  Like, literally made it the opposite of what happened in the book, which defeats the whole point.  #### that movie.  

"Jerry wins the boxing match in the film, pummeling Archie and winning the praise of his classmates... In the novel, Jerry is beaten to semi-consciousness by Janza, and taken to the hospital, having lost the war." 

It was a significant change.

KarmaPolice said:
If we are talking the Jaden Smith abomination, then fire away.   

Original is awesome though.  That said, maybe they could have filmed it so Johnny didn't run in chin first.  ;)
i loved 1.   2 and 3 were ok. i dont count any after that

Please refresh my memory.....this is a bad endings thread after all...hahah
Here is a summary:

In the book after Mitch is wise to everything, he hits the road. He gets the FBI to bust his brother out of jail over a prison wall, and he eventually meets up with him and Tammy in Panama City. They elude police throughout the south (while both the FBI and the mafia are hot on his trail at the same time) and eventually escape when Abanks comes by boat and takes them from a pier out of country. Mitch, Abby, and Ray end up living their life in obscurity on the islands.

In the movie, however, it's not nearly as intense. For starters, Ray doesn't go out over the prison wall.some papers are signed and he just walks out the front door. As for the climax, there is no massive manhunt. Instead, he sees that the firm is overbilling clients. So he has the #######g balls to confront the Moroltos and tell them that that's the big secret he knows. So the mob is just like "oh ok, whatevs". So he now is off the hook from the mob, the FBI has paid him almost a million bucks, and he quits the firm and goes back north. In the book it would be UNHEARD of to quit knowing what he knew. In the end, they just leave Memphis and go home.

I don’t care if it was in the book or not, going BACK to Transylvania in Bram Stoker’s Excellent Dracula Adventure was a mistake.

I was out of smuggled in beers at that point, buzz was fading, urge to pee increasing, and just generally done with the movie by that point.

Shame too. That was one of very few movies I remember there being a “run” on tickets for when it premiered, especially up until the Harry Potter/Marvel stuff came out.

Users who are viewing this thread