What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bears sign Manning Jr to offer sheet (1 Viewer)

DrJ

Footballguy
Panthers | Chicago signs Manning Jr. to an offer sheet

Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:42:25 -0700

Pat Yasinskas, of the Charlotte Observer, reports the Chicago Bears have signed Carolina Panthers restricted free agent CB Ricky Manning Jr. to an offer sheet. The Panthers will have seven days to match the deal or they will receive a third-round draft choice from the Bears in this year's NFL Draft.

Numbers are apparantly 7.5 million guaranteed, can be worth up to 21 million for 5 years with certain performance escalators.

Numbers are apparantly 7.5 million guaranteed, can be worth up to 21 million for 5 years with certain performance escalators.
Doc-That seems pretty hefty for Manning, especially if you're also giving up a #3. I think he he can be a solid addition but he came in at a bigger pricetag than I expected. There scouts must really like him because that money means they're committed to him for a few years. Did you think he'd get that much guaranteed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc-That seems pretty hefty for Manning, especially if you're also giving up a #3. I think he he can be a solid addition but he came in at a bigger pricetag than I expected. There scouts must really like him because that money means they're committed to him for a few years. Did you think he'd get that much guaranteed?
Agreed, this is a terrible move by Angelo. I didn't want them to sign him at all, I don't think he's worth the 3rd by itself, let alone that contract. There was a lot of CB talent on the market this year, and Angelo could have done better and kept that pick...

Also - there are rumors that Angelo didn't want to meet Manning's demands, but the coaching staff persisted on the whole thing.

It just doesn't sit well with me...

Agreed, this is a terrible move by Angelo. I didn't want them to sign him at all, I don't think he's worth the 3rd by itself, let alone that contract. There was a lot of CB talent on the market this year, and Angelo could have done better and kept that pick...
Manning's the type of player any team would take. He's a young CB who has played well in the past. Yet, like you said giving up a #3 and a decent sized contract seems to be going overboard for a guy no one else seems to be going after too hard. Lovie and company must really see a lot of upside here.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a TON of money for a guy not good enough to be a starting CB, that doesn't return punts or kicks.

I hope he makes the NFL minimum in Years 2-4 if he's getting 7.5 large GUARANTEED in year one.

Carolina is probably laughing their arses off and I'm sure they'll say if they guaranteed him 1 Mil in Year one, they wouldn't have matched it. Then again, he probably wouldn't have signed the offer sheet, and went ahead into free agency in '07.

Anyone read about the poison pill in the Bear's offer. Evidently if the Panther's want to match, they have to guarantee the Manning gets toasted for two TDs by Steve Smith in a playoff game. Pretty much cements Manning wearing black and orange this season. :P

6 mil of the 21 is based on INTs and incentives....

Factor that out, and the contract is 15Mil over 5 years. I can live with that.

And the Bears have cap space, so the amount guaranteed in the first year doesn't really bother me.

The question is, could they have gotten Woodson for about the same amount without parting with their 3rd rounder.

I've got a great new rumor regarding Thomas Jones which I'll post on another thread....

Users who are viewing this thread