What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bench Brandon Lloyd this week (1 Viewer)

Macdaddy_2004

Footballguy
Don't see it happening this week for him. Seattle has a monster secondary and are stout against the run - Brady will have to use Welker Gronk and Hernandez (if he plays) over the middle. I see some screen passes as well.

I'm thinking he's absolute ceiling is 4 catches for 50 yards and a 10% shot at a TD.

He rides the pine this week boys.

I like the estimate of 4/50, but the problem is that it's a coin flip as to whether or not he scores. 4/50/1 is worthy of a start unless you're stacked at WR. That being said, I'm going to start Malcom Floyd this week over him.

HUGE STRETCH!!!!!1!

Dodds has him at 5/60. Tend to agree except for 1 factor... NE has been establishing the Run a lot leading up to this week. Bill is known for shifting gears a few times a season... I think this week we see a considerable amount of play action out of Brady and company.

I'm not sure if he's going to get pushed around by those huge corners or if he's so shifty he'll be able to wiggle open.

Lloyd has been nothing more than a WR3 this year and will likely be nothing more. He just isn't a big part of the Pats offense. He was nonexistent after the 1st quarter or so last week and the only reason he had a semi-decent week the week before was because of a garbage time TD in the 4th quarter.

Think it hinges on Hernandez playing. If he plays, I think this game becomes one where they use him to pull defenders out and down the sideline and they work the middle all day long. unless there is a blown coverage, there just isn't any real need to challenge the teeth of that defense when they can use welker, hernandez, gronk, and the Rbs in the short and intermediate areas.

As long as NE continues to run their light-speed no huddle offense, I can not see myself benching Lloyd. They ran 94 plays in week 5. As good as Seattle is, I think they will be gassed by the 4th Q.

A faster ran offense = more plays = a tired defense = more opportunity for LLoyd = More points = :thumbup:

As long as NE continues to run their light-speed no huddle offense, I can not see myself benching Lloyd. They ran 94 plays in week 5. As good as Seattle is, I think they will be gassed by the 4th Q. A faster ran offense = more plays = a tired defense = more opportunity for LLoyd = More points = :thumbup:
I agree. The new offense is a great development for those owning Pats. Leave him in, he and others will have great games. Seattle at home is a tough defensive matchup but with Wilson at QB on the other side of the ball things could snowball fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a concerned Lloyd owner I admit. Benching him though seems extreme. His targets aren't what I expected the last 2 weeks, but he's healthy and the gameplan of Bilicheck is always a game of keep the opposing DC's guessing. I guess the word "bench Brandon Lloyd" does make for a provocative thread title. It always depends on other available options. When healthy, he's at least a WR3. I use him as a WR4, so I'm not upset. Now concern is healthy, but the OP is trying to inspire some kind of delusional panic. Lloyd will come around and when least expected will be a huge part of BB's gameplan. Could be any game against any defense. :popcorn:

'Clifford said:
He just isn't a big part of the Pats offense.
Lloyd has more targets, receptions, and yards per game than every Patriot except for Welker.TARGETSWelker - 52Lloyd - 45Gronkowski - 34RECEPTIONSWelker - 38Lloyd - 28Gronkowski - 23YARDS/GAMEWelker - 96.8Lloyd - 64.2Gronkowski - 59.0

Dont see myself benching him although I think it would gunslinger. I will say that I can definitely see him getting a 4/50 type of game.

'Clifford said:
Lloyd has more targets, receptions, and yards per game than every Patriot except for Welker.TARGETSWelker - 52Lloyd - 45Gronkowski - 34RECEPTIONSWelker - 38Lloyd - 28Gronkowski - 23YARDS/GAMEWelker - 96.8Lloyd - 64.2Gronkowski - 59.0
Last two games he is getting very few. For some reason can't find the numbers. Ignore it if you want but the last two games he has not been very involved and the NE offense has been scoring a lot. Week 4 they scored 52 and week 5 they scored 31. He did very little in both. He saw really high targets in weeks 1-3 which is no longer the case.ETA: Found the numbers. These are targets by week: Brandon Lloyd: 8-13-12-7-5 (45) Went from 12 to 7 to 5. The five targets worry me less than the 7 during a game where Brady threw for 340 yards. It's possible the five targets were low due to low overall offensive output.

Last edited by a moderator:
O/U is 44.5 with NE -3.5

Seattle allows 192 net passing yards per game, 66 rushing yards

16 sacks (5th)

3 INT

3 passing TD's allowed, 2 rushing

60% chance of rain on Sunday

Tough matchup for the Pats O for sure but I think they are good for at least 28 points this week. Lloyd is good for 4-5 catches 50-60 yards and a lot greater chance at a TD than 10%, more like 50%. He would have had a TD last week if they challenged the play where the ref marked the ball at the goal line. He had a tough day against BUF, but fell down on a screen pass on the Patriots final drive to cost him another potential touchdown. Patriots offense is in a groove and I think he starts to convert some of these opportunities. He's a WR3 with really good upside. Who are you benching him for?

'[icon] said:
HUGE STRETCH!!!!!1!Dodds has him at 5/60. Tend to agree except for 1 factor... NE has been establishing the Run a lot leading up to this week. Bill is known for shifting gears a few times a season... I think this week we see a considerable amount of play action out of Brady and company.
In fairness, Dodds projects everyone to have 5/60.

O/U is 44.5 with NE -3.5

Seattle allows 192 net passing yards per game, 66 rushing yards

16 sacks (5th)

3 INT

3 passing TD's allowed, 2 rushing

60% chance of rain on Sunday

Tough matchup for the Pats O for sure but I think they are good for at least 28 points this week. Lloyd is good for 4-5 catches 50-60 yards and a lot greater chance at a TD than 10%, more like 50%. He would have had a TD last week if they challenged the play where the ref marked the ball at the goal line. He had a tough day against BUF, but fell down on a screen pass on the Patriots final drive to cost him another potential touchdown. Patriots offense is in a groove and I think he starts to convert some of these opportunities. He's a WR3 with really good upside. Who are you benching him for?
Exactly. How many teams have a better option? What with byes and injuries he's probably one of your 3 best WRs this week, despite the matchup. FWIW, I'm considering playing Maclin over him (or Nicks if he plays, but that's a little more obvious a call)

'Clifford said:
Last two games he is getting very few. For some reason can't find the numbers. Ignore it if you want but the last two games he has not been very involved and the NE offense has been scoring a lot. Week 4 they scored 52 and week 5 they scored 31. He did very little in both. He saw really high targets in weeks 1-3 which is no longer the case.ETA: Found the numbers. These are targets by week: Brandon Lloyd: 8-13-12-7-5 (45) Went from 12 to 7 to 5. The five targets worry me less than the 7 during a game where Brady threw for 340 yards. It's possible the five targets were low due to low overall offensive output.
And lets not forget that Hernandez should be coming back soon. Is this going to help or hurt Lloyd? We only have the first game of the year to go by, and Lloyd had 5 for 69 in that game...Also, I'm sure BB didn't appreciate Welker's post game comments last week...he could be sliding back in the dog house which can mean more looks for Lloyd...But Lloyd wasn't brought in to be a high volume pass catcher, was he? Isn't he supposed to be their deep man, a la Moss?

But Lloyd wasn't brought in to be a high volume pass catcher, was he? Isn't he supposed to be their deep man, a la Moss?
Not exactly. He lines up wide, like Moss, but he runs different routes. Moss mainly went deep. Lloyd does a lot of short-to-medium out routes. So, while he's not exactly a volume guy, you do want to see him getting a lot of targets, if he's going to have fantasy value.

I have Julio Percy Lloyd and Desean Jackson in my 16 team keeper league.. do I bench Lloyd for Djack this week? I was leaning towards Djack..

I wiil bench Lloyd for the first time this week. I'll be starting Wayne, Julio, Floyd and Kerley.

I was surprised his production didn't pick up when Edelman got hurt. I have debated here, including with some staff that Lloyd was being ranked too high each week. He was putting up WR3 numbers and being ranked as a WR1. Finally, his ranking has come down now, but I'm not sure he's a WR2 either.

The NE offense is unpredictable. Almost any given player can go off in any one given week. Brady has a lot of mouths to feed, especially now with the new emphasis on the run. Combine that with a tough matchup on the west coast in Seattle with bad weather in the forecast...

Kerley emerged as a focal point of the Jets passing offense without Holmes. I can't predict how the return of Keller might affect his targets. Is Keller healthy enough to steal targets? Or will he just attract attention from the defense? Right now I just like Kerley's upside vs. Lloyd. Kerley turned in a nice game against a tough D in the Texans and now faces the Indy D.

If Lloyd finally plays like a WR1, great, he goes back into the line up next week. Of my 5 startable WR's, I think Lloyd is the most likely to disappoint, while the others are a safer start.

'Clifford said:
Lloyd has been nothing more than a WR3 this year and will likely be nothing more. He just isn't a big part of the Pats offense. He was nonexistent after the 1st quarter or so last week and the only reason he had a semi-decent week the week before was because of a garbage time TD in the 4th quarter.
Totally agree, he hasn't done much and I don't expect much here. I'd give him about a 25 percent chance at a TD and 20 percent chance at 100 yards.More than likely 6 catches for 65 yards.

'TheWick said:
I'm not sure if he's going to get pushed around by those huge corners or if he's so shifty he'll be able to wiggle open.
He played against those same two huge corners twice last year, in the awful St Louis offense, and still put up 5-61-1 and 5-82 games.

'Macdaddy_2004 said:
Don't see it happening this week for him. Seattle has a monster secondary and are stout against the run - Brady will have to use Welker Gronk and Hernandez (if he plays) over the middle. I see some screen passes as well.I'm thinking he's absolute ceiling is 4 catches for 50 yards and a 10% shot at a TD.He rides the pine this week boys.
I thought he might be facing that monster we call Tramon Williams

No one could have predicted the run heavy emphasis for the Pats offense so far. It's not going to last. Bellichek is known for catering his gameplan to what ever a team will give him and so far its been the run. Seattle's defense is stout but mainly against the run. Currently 3rd best against RBs for fantasy purposes and 8th against WRs. I think the Pats will not have as easy a time running this week and will open Brady up a little like in recent years. Whether that translates to short passing game with Welker and Gronk or taking shots down the field remains to be seen. However, Lloyd is averaging 9 targets a game even with all the running. I'd still take my chances starting him as a high WR2, low WR1 especially with the byes. Guys like Marshall, Colston and Steve Smith being on byes makes you less picky if Lloyd is in your corps.

I'm a concerned Lloyd owner I admit. Benching him though seems extreme. His targets aren't what I expected the last 2 weeks, but he's healthy and the gameplan of Bilicheck is always a game of keep the opposing DC's guessing.
Yes, but overall, he's been targeted more than Calvin Johnson and Roddy White this season. That's encouraging.

I think you're reading this wrong. What we've seen is top of the team in targets the first three games, and a decline since then. He only had a good catch/target ratio in week 3. Meanwhile welker got back to beig welker and the offense improved. That tells me that Brady can't cout on him as much as be an other receivers, and there's about to be one more.

He's going to be hit and miss as a deep threat and second read in the red zone, maybe third.

You make it sound as if Lloyd has been some kind of stud WR all year. He's actually been pretty disappointing and now welker is back to his old role and targets, they're going against the seahawks defense @ seattle....i'm pretty sure most serious fantasy owners are aware he might struggle.

With bye weeks it came down between him and britt and i just started britt as a what the heck play. Lookin good so far :thumbup:

LIve in Seattle, wind gusts predicted to be 20-40MPH tomorrow at noon, with big storm moving in. Yikes, am I really considering Alex Green or Gates as a flex over Lloyd?

As long as NE continues to run their light-speed no huddle offense, I can not see myself benching Lloyd. They ran 94 plays in week 5. As good as Seattle is, I think they will be gassed by the 4th Q. A faster ran offense = more plays = a tired defense = more opportunity for LLoyd = More points = :thumbup:
Great theory but have you been following Lloyd's performances in the second half since they really started to emphasize the hurry up? Lloyd has been stone walled as the game goes on. Perhaps it's the number one CB he's been drawing, and perhaps Lloyd just can't seprate as the game goes on.

Good post. I was just about to post his week to week targets.

Lloyd- 5/140/2... if that works for you I'd plug him in.
Says the guy who thinks Brady will light up the best defense in the NFL in the wind and rain in the toughest road stadium in the league for 5 TD passes. :homer: :towelwave: :lol: :hey:
Hey, who's supposed to catch all these bombs? I might adjust down a TD and 20 yards as Hernandez, Gronk and Welker will be in the mix but expect the unexpected and LET IT RAIN!

Conventional wisdom says stay away from the bruising corners of Seattle and pound the middle and underneath with Welker and Gronk.

When it comes to the Pats, conventional wisdom isn't conventional.

Which is exactly why I'm starting Lloyd.

KY

Conventional wisdom says stay away from the bruising corners of Seattle and pound the middle and underneath with Welker and Gronk. When it comes to the Pats, conventional wisdom isn't conventional.Which is exactly why I'm starting Lloyd.KY
You'll be sorry.

For no reason, and without any authority, I say Lloyd gets 5 for 70 and a TD.

You're welcome to mock me when I'm proved wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread