What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bengals cut RB Watson (1 Viewer)

duece2626

Footballguy
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2008/10/4/62820...-running-back-k

In a very surprising move Saturday afternoon, the Bengals decided to part ways with backup running back Kenny Watson, opening a roster spot for wide receiver Chris Henry. Henry's activation was expected... using Watson's spot wasn't.

The move is especially surprising considering the team's lack of depth at running back. After Perry felt soreness in his hamstring Monday morning, the team kept his reps limited until Friday's practice. DeDe Dorsey was placed on Injured Reserve after the loss to the Browns. Later, the Bengals signed Cedric Benson in response to the shortage at running back. Then, on Saturday afternoon the Bengals cut Kenny Watson; now we're back to two active running backs on the 53-man roster.

Chris Perry

Cedric Benson

James Johnson still sits on the team's practice squad, and in order for him to join the 53-man roster, the Bengals will have to open a spot on the roster.

Watson joined Cincinnati in 2003, playing in 60 games with the Bengals, rushing for 1,094 yards on 236 carries and eight rushing touchdowns. His career-year came in 2007, relieving the oft-injured Rudi Johnson, rushing for 763 yards and scoring seven touchdowns -- he picked up 40 first downs on 178 carries. In four seasons in which he wasn't hurt and actually rushed the ball, his season yards-per-rush average were 6.2, 5.5, 4.3 and 4.6 respectively

Surprising. Perhaps they're liking what they saw from Benson. Although durability wasn't really one of his assets.

What a joke of an organization.

To think they looked like they were on the verge of some very good things just three years ago.

I think I found his problem. According to Wiki...

He is active with charitable causes such as Boys and Girls Clubs of America, Toys for Tots and the C.A.R.E.S. program for autism.

Maybe they are planning filming the longest yard remake. Fire Levy... Bail out OJ and bring him in as next coach. Palmer next to get cut? There is always Vick to bail out.

Then we got to get rid of t.j, bring in Carruth. And Travis Henry, Phillips, and BAM BAM of coarse and to complete the back field. They better move fast and they will save a lot of prison space.

Buckeyedawgs said:
Maybe they are planning filming the longest yard remake. Fire Levy... Bail out OJ and bring him in as next coach. Palmer next to get cut? There is always Vick to bail out. Then we got to get rid of t.j, bring in Carruth. And Travis Henry, Phillips, and BAM BAM of coarse and to complete the back field. They better move fast and they will save a lot of prison space.
Way to steal that quote for the T. Henry thread, lol!!!!

duece2626 said:
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2008/10/4/62820...-running-back-k

In a very surprising move Saturday afternoon, the Bengals decided to part ways with backup running back Kenny Watson, opening a roster spot for wide receiver Chris Henry. Henry's activation was expected... using Watson's spot wasn't.

The move is especially surprising considering the team's lack of depth at running back. After Perry felt soreness in his hamstring Monday morning, the team kept his reps limited until Friday's practice. DeDe Dorsey was placed on Injured Reserve after the loss to the Browns. Later, the Bengals signed Cedric Benson in response to the shortage at running back. Then, on Saturday afternoon the Bengals cut Kenny Watson; now we're back to two active running backs on the 53-man roster.

Chris Perry

Cedric Benson

James Johnson still sits on the team's practice squad, and in order for him to join the 53-man roster, the Bengals will have to open a spot on the roster.

Watson joined Cincinnati in 2003, playing in 60 games with the Bengals, rushing for 1,094 yards on 236 carries and eight rushing touchdowns. His career-year came in 2007, relieving the oft-injured Rudi Johnson, rushing for 763 yards and scoring seven touchdowns -- he picked up 40 first downs on 178 carries. In four seasons in which he wasn't hurt and actually rushed the ball, his season yards-per-rush average were 6.2, 5.5, 4.3 and 4.6 respectively
oddI'm just not understanding several of their moves. Still baffled at Willie Anderson being sent packing. Rudi's about to start in Detroit over a promising rook. And DeDe Dorsey, who looked explosive when he actually played, goes on IR with a hammy? A hammy?

For a long time I thought Marvin was a smart man and an especially good coach. Like everyone else. I've had my doubts lately but...I am actually starting to wonder if he is trying to get fired or someone is trying to get him to quit. In reality all they've gotten rid of is "old" players in Willie and Rudi and Watson are relatively old for RBs. Could they just be looking at 2009 without Marvin? Older players are always at risk to get cut especially with a new regime.

If this were the Raiders, what would you think?

duece2626 said:
what's the fullback's name again?

So they have released Rudi Johnson and Kenny Watson in order to give the ball to Chris Perry and Cedric Benson.

To all fans of the Bengals...I truely am sorry that your team's management sucks so bad.

With Lumpkin nursing a sore Hammy still, Id love Ted Thompson to give Watson a call.

CHRIS HENRY WILL PLAY, BENGALS CUT KENNY WATSON

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 4, 2008, 4:21 p.m.

Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry will play for the first time this season on Sunday in Dallas.

The Bengals added Henry to the active roster today. To make room for him, they cut running back Kenny Watson. The Bengals had been given a roster exemption for Henry, but that exemption expired today.

Henry was charged with assault during the off-season. Although the charges were later dropped, he was suspended for the first four games of the regular season. He was suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 season.

On some plays, fans will likely be treated to the sight of Henry going up against Cowboys cornerback Adam “Pacman” Jones. The two were college teammates and were the poster boys for NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s 2007 crackdown on off-field misbehavior.

Bengals.com reported that Watson, who wasn’t expected to play Sunday anyway because of a hamstring injury, could re-sign with the Bengals soon

Bengals.com reported that Watson, who wasn’t expected to play Sunday anyway because of a hamstring injury, could re-sign with the Bengals soon
Why cut him, then? His salary is guaranteed for the entire season, right?
Right. His base salary for this year is guaranteed.If indeed they plan/hope to re-sign him, he'll get "another" contract on top of that. Even if it were for the minimum, why would they do that?

Due to that, I find it hard to believe that they intend to re-sign him. Doesn't make any sense at all. Somebody else will surely outbid the Bengals for Watson's services, and he'll still be drawing money from them.

The Bengals are beginning to look like the Keystone Cops of the NFL. What a joke... idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why cut him, then? His salary is guaranteed for the entire season, right?
Right. His base salary for this year is guaranteed.If indeed they plan/hope to re-sign him, he'll get "another" contract on top of that. Even if it were for the minimum, why would they do that?

Due to that, I find it hard to believe that they intend to re-sign him. Doesn't make any sense at all. Somebody else will surely outbid the Bengals for Watson's services, and he'll still be drawing money from them.

The Bengals are beginning to look like the Keystone Cops of the NFL. What a joke... idiots.
it may be a case that cutting Watson now was the path of least resistance.They just let a DB go in Castille to shore up their (inevitably) injury LB corps.

Neither line is exactly the area they need to be cutting as well.

Finally, they don't seem inclined to cut any of the draft picks on the offensive roster (which includes 2 DTs and an OT).

Anyhow, it'll be interesting to see how Henry fares in Thug War I against PacMan.

-QG

Eviloutsider said:
I think I found his problem. According to Wiki...He is active with charitable causes such as Boys and Girls Clubs of America, Toys for Tots and the C.A.R.E.S. program for autism.
underrated comment in this thread. thanks for the laugh!

The Lord Giveth and the Lord Taketh Away.

If I recall, in the FBG Subscriber's Contest, we pretty much all were jumping for joy when we got Steve Slaton for $1.

Count me as one of the" suckers" who also has Watson on my team..... for $9!!! :goodposting: That just hurts.

Ouch...that sucks. I have to believe he's going to latch on somewhere. Guy is a talented receiver and showed last year he can run the ball in a pinch.

Ouch...that sucks. I have to believe he's going to latch on somewhere. Guy is a talented receiver and showed last year he can run the ball in a pinch.
I completely agree, he's no Gayle Sayers but the guy can play. After watching the Bengals dismiss Rudi Johnson and Rudi's already a starter for the Detroit Lions, getting released by the Bengals certainly doesn't mean you can no longer play.

I employed Watson with great results last season when he replaced Rudi. He was very, very effective. I am not sure what changed that could lead the Bengals to part ways with him. Marvin Lewis, if it was his call, is working like a lame duck coach who wants to get fired. I put this right there with Lane Kiffin's 76 yard FG attempt. He's begging to be set free.

Watson is a respectable talent. I know the Steelers are scrambling to find talent at RB even though FWP is due to come back and they just signed Najeh and activated Russell. Like another poster wrote, I can see Watson being a fit for Houston. And the Packers can always use another player to fill in when Ryan Grant is dinged and Brandon Jackson goes down.

Anybody know how waivers work in the NFL? Is there a list or something that shows the order? I haved researched the nfl.com site and can't find any explanation.

The Lord Giveth and the Lord Taketh Away.If I recall, in the FBG Subscriber's Contest, we pretty much all were jumping for joy when we got Steve Slaton for $1.Count me as one of the" suckers" who also has Watson on my team..... for $9!!! :thumbup: That just hurts.
Got both as well.Oh well.

The Lord Giveth and the Lord Taketh Away.If I recall, in the FBG Subscriber's Contest, we pretty much all were jumping for joy when we got Steve Slaton for $1.Count me as one of the" suckers" who also has Watson on my team..... for $9!!! :thumbup: That just hurts.
Same boat, but he is the only person on my team that hasn't pointed for me so far.I'm sure everyone will have one, it's just a matter of keeping it there.

Users who are viewing this thread