What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benson sits with sore knee (1 Viewer)

DrJ

Footballguy
BOURBONNAIS -- The Bears were without both of their top tailbacks Tuesday night as Cedric Benson was held out of practice after experiencing soreness and swelling in his right knee. Benson joined Thomas Jones on the sidelines as Jones continues to undergo three-a-day treatments for his ailing hamstring.

"I just had a little soreness in my right knee and [trainer Tim] Bream diagnosed it," Benson said. "We figured the best thng to do was take the day off."

Benson said he expected to practice at Wednesday's 3 p.m. session and no MRI exam was planned. It was his first time out at camp and it was tough to sit, "especially now when you're trying to get all the kinks out and get worked in real good. But they make a decision and I have full confidence in them.

"After practice [Monday] I was feeling it, went in to Bream and he said to come in [Tuesday] morning. I came in and there was a little soreness and swelling. Figured the best thing to do was take the day off."

Benson injured the knee last season against San Francisco and missed the next six games. He joked that the current soreness was "probably those crazy defensive guys running into me" referring to the a number of solid blows he and defenders had exchanged over the past couple practices.

"Could be that, could just be camp, could be my injury from last year," Benson said. "It's just a little sore."
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlinesRather surprised that they didn't take an MRI...

Benson will be back today. there were about 4-5 guys that sat out for the day. Just giving them some rest.

Benson article

Benson gaining ground with veteran teammates

August 1, 2006

By Larry Mayer

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. - Bears running back Cedric Benson is learning that yards aren't necessarily the most important thing to gain in training camp.

Demonstrating tenacity and an excellent work ethic while practicing with the first team, the 2005 first-round pick is earning more respect from veteran teammates with each passing day.

Cedric Benson chats with fellow running back Thomas Jones prior to a recent training camp practice at Olivet Nazarene University.

"I think he's being accepted more by his teammates each day they see him come out here," said coach Lovie Smith. "They're starting to see what type of player he can be."

Respect is earned in the NFL, something that was painfully clear to Benson last season when he missed all of training camp due to a contract impasse.

Looking back on his rookie year, the 5-11, 220-pounder has been telling reporters that he learned "not everybody is your friend."

"Everybody's not your friend," said Pro Bowl center Olin Kreutz. "I promise you that not everybody likes me. It's not something we worry about. You find your own friends, but we're all teammates. I promise you we all have his back and we're all on everybody's side.

"It takes a while to earn people's respect. It takes a while for people to have trust in you and faith that you're going to do your job. It all takes a while no matter who you are. I didn't feel that bond with guys until my fifth or sixth year. It always takes a while."

Kreutz laughed when asked whether veterans have accepted Benson as a teammate.

"Of course we do," he said. "But no one's really here to be accepted. I don't care if no one accepts me. We're just out here to play football. You earn respect doing your job, showing up every day and going to work, and he's doing that slowly but surely."

In the first practice with full pads Saturday night, the defense laid some big hits on Benson. But he gained a measure of revenge later in the workout by steamrolling safety Chris Harris.

In subsequent practices Sunday and Monday, the defense has treated him more kindly, though Benson and linebacker Hunter Hillenmeyer did collide fairly hard in Monday's workout.

Smith understands the reality of the situation and is glad that Benson is steadily progressing.

Cedric Benson is making strides with each passing day in training camp.

"We're definitely not going to give him anything," said the NFL Coach of the Year. "You have to earn it. Nobody cares what you've done in the past. They're not looking at your college stats.

"But good players normally find a way to get accepted by their teammates and that's what Cedric is doing. We're giving him the football. He's getting a lot of opportunities to show what type of player he is."

With Thomas Jones recovering from a strained hamstring and Tony Hollings no longer with the team, the Bears are down to three running backs in Benson, Adrian Peterson and P.J. Pope.

As a result, Benson has been a workhorse so far in training camp, but the Bears aren't worried about the 23-year-old wearing down.

"We want him to get tired in training camp," Smith said. "We're down two running backs right now, but when you have young players like that, they need every rep they can get.

"He is a physical player. With a young player, each day they should get better. You figure something out differently each day and that's what he's doing."

In recent practices, Benson has done an exceptional job of catching the ball out of the backfield, something he struggled with at times during offseason workouts.

"That's how it's been throughout the camp," Smith said. "I can recall back in OTAs one of his worst days was just based on him not being able to catch the football. But he's worked awful hard. I think he's a complete player and he should show that to us."

Benson sat out Tuesday night's practice with a sore right knee, but said that he plans on participating in Wednesday's 3 p.m. workout.

"I'm not a big fan of missing time," he said, "especially not now because you're preparing for the season and you want to get everything worked out."

"This time during training camp guys are a little sore and we're just making sure," Smith said. "Most running backs during the course of training camp will get sore and need a little bit of time off. Cedric had his day today. Hopefully he'll be back out there tomorrow."

Benson: It’s my job to lose

By Bob LeGere

Daily Herald Sports Writer

Posted Thursday, August 03, 2006

After missing one Bears practice with a sore knee, second-year running back Cedric Benson returned to the practice field Wednesday afternoon and said the starting job is his unless he gives it away.

Last year’s starter, Thomas Jones, remained sidelined with a strained hamstring that has kept him from practicing yet.

“It sure does seem it’s my job to lose right now,” Benson said. “I don’t know (for sure). Nothing has been said right now, but I am getting a lot of work with the ones, and I’m taking advantage of it.”

Benson continued to run hard and get most of the work with the first string. Near the end of a 2-hour, 10-minute practice in steamy 95-degree heat, the 5-foot-11, 220-pounder lowered his shoulder and knocked 260-pound defensive end Wale Ogunleye a couple yards back from the point of impact.

Benson has taken his share of shots from a defense trying to test his mettle, but he’s taken it with a positive attitude and a sense of humor.

“They tell me we’re not going to hit,” Benson said, smiling. “When I come through the hole, I’m not really trying to hit them; they’re trying to hit me. So I just think they’re trying to set me up.”

Bears coach Lovie Smith said the extra reps Benson has been getting with Jones not participating is an advantage for any young player.

“When you’re green like that, there’s a lot you have to learn,” Smith said. “You can only get that from being out here on the field. You can only do so much in the classroom. He’s done all of the things that we’ve asked him to do as far as playing football.”

— Bob LeGere

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread