What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Benson to Visit texans (1 Viewer)

“I think I proved that I’m the player everybody thought I could be,” Benson said. “I think it showed that I can get the job done, being a full-time back and carry the load.”
That's fine and all, but you won't get that opportunity in Houston...Period. Expect him back in Cincy by tomorrow :)
because Slaton has proven he can carry the load and not get worn down :yes:
what exactly are you trying to say here?If it's a sarcastic attempt to say that Slaton can't carry the load and wore down we have evidence that proves otherwise, specifically that he lead all RB's with 4th qtr rushing yards..So much for wearing down..and oh, he was carrying the load too.
you must have missed this:http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=4865
Right....So this is the first time in the history of the NFL that a rookie RB got worn down around weeks 12-13. And look at that. They give the guy some rest in practice and he rebounds for a monster set of 5 games down the stretch. Yeah, worn down....Run down at one point it time of the season does not mean the guy cannot shoulder the load for an entire season particularly with another NFL training camp and a bunch of coaches that will work on making sure that does not happen again....
well you admitted that he got worn down (even though he didn't have more than 20 carries in any game at that point)
And then he had 5 of the next 7 games with 20 carries or more. Actually 6 of the next 7 he had 18 or more carries. So when he was supposedly worn down they increased his carries? That makes sense. Seems that one of the two positions here is off base. Since his carries going up is a fact then the notion that he was worn down is not indeed a fact...Being worn down for a game is one thing. Being worn down for the rest of the season is quite another.

i'm amazed that coaches can teach durability. Why didn't they teach Chris Brown that? do they only save that knowledge for special players?
Durability and being worn down have what to do with each other? They don't. Being worn down is a matter conditioning. And funny you should ask about what coaches can teach. See, every team has a strength and conditioning coach. Guess what he does?And you are right, Durability cannot be taught. But since that has no bearing on this conversation whatsoever, I guess I don't understand why you would make an issue of it....then again you are a guy that took a guy who was worn down for one game and assume he can't carry the load as a starter when he had more carries per game after that game than he did before so obviously you have some issues with logic...

Slaton is not going to be as effective at the stripe and he's not going to carry the ball 300/yr...the texans are actively searching for a committee partner, that is no secret to McLain or Manfull
He's not going to get 300 carries a year? He had 268 carries last year. He didn't start one game and he only had 4 carries in another. He sure came pretty close in his rookie season to doing that. Oh, and he had 50 catches. But what you are saying is that after tearing it up as a rookie the Texans are going to decide that the guy isn't worthy to carry the ball as much as he did this year? Because any Slaton owner should be giddy with 270+ carries and another 50+ catches, particularly in a PPR league....
effing :goodposting:

I don't ever recall seeing Kubiak name Slaton the starter early in the season, although he said he couldn't take Slaton off because he was playing so well. Being named the starter while the starter (green) was injured does not mean the same thing as being named "THE" starter...Slaton wasn't really the starter until Green was out of the picture.
:wub: :wub: :mellow: :loco: :confused: link

Texans Notes: Slaton earns starting running back job

By JOHN McCLAIN

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Sept. 23, 2008, 1:27PM

Coach Gary Kubiak said rookie running back Steve Slaton earned the full-time starting job with his 116-yard, one-touchdown performance against the Titans that included a 50-yard run Sunday.
He was named the full time starter after Week 3....and the Texans didn't even play in Week 2. Green was his back up for 7 of the 8 games they played together.
We'll see, this is a thread about Benson anyway, who now has a bigger offer from the Bengals, thanks to bluffing them with the Houston visit.
Agreed...we'll see. However, Benson is a good fit for what Houston wants to pair with Slaton. Houston will bring in another RB to split carries even if it isn't Benson, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would probably be good with Slaton -- a nice combo. I wouldn't write Benson off yet.
I agree, the Texans are worried about Slatons size and Benson would be a good short yardage/goal line type back to fill in for SS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Benson is now a Bengal. :shrug:
Once Ward went to Tampa I guess this happened pretty quickly. With Taylor in NE, Benson in Cinci, and Ward in Tampa, it looks like the Slaton complimentary back will come from the draft. Anyone see any other possibilities in the FA market?

Users who are viewing this thread